hulika

Author Topic: Magnet Cafe Benefit: Some fine guitar players  (Read 8953 times)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Magnet Cafe Benefit: Some fine guitar players
« on: July 15, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »
The Magnet Cafe benefit was not only fun, but quite revealing. There are some mighty fine geetar pickers around these parts. Hope stuff like this happens more often.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 11:17:45 AM »
... and 2 of em in your neck of the woods.  ;-)

What a great show!  Meron pa akong "morning after glow" :-)

And to stay on topic, I think there was concensus that the guitar tones last night was glorious.  It was the P90 Party!  But also everything else and everyone sounded great -- Kulukati's hard-drivin syncopated blues-rock w/ Strat and a 12-string bass w/ small tube amp as overdrive unit(!),  Snakecharmer's southern rock w/ tele and LP, Firebottle's soul/gospel/blues brew w/ 2 teles, Soul Benders classic blues w/ tele and 335, and Blue Rats smooth and groovy blues/jazz/pop meld w/ strat (Squier!) and MIK soapbar PRS SE.  And the tube amps!!  Laney, Fender Silverface Princeton Reverb, Vox AC30, and tweed Kendrick Deluxe-copy....  shlurrrrp!!!   :shock:

Pero, again, it's the small community vibe and atmosphere that made it really special. Friends making new friends and enjoying the music.

Buddah, tnx a million for joining us in this benefit. I really hope everyone in the band enjoyed it as much as we did in the audience. Not only did we raise money for Egay, we had a blast doing it!  Definitely, dapat dalasan, especially in QC. ;-)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim

me too! what a night! i talked gear and guitar with joey puyat, scheduled my first lesson with kakoy, and even got joey puyat's number (baka pwede din magpaturo sa kanya). i sat next to veggie joe in right front of the stage for most of that last set and i think i had a stupid look on my face every time mr. puyat cranked out a solo. :lol:

mr. buddha: hanep. thats all i can say. :mrgreen:

dagdag sa happy thoughts: i met egay! alam ko na kung para kanino 'to!

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 12:38:31 PM »
Delta - count us in for more of the same. That was Big Fun. The gear sounded terrific -- your 335 through the princeton had serious balls. Consensus: morning glow na rin lahat ng band members namin. Dapat maulit nga talaga.

Nathan - frankly when Joey gets going, napapa-stupid face na rin kami behind him! It's great to know that we're not alone in the company of fellow goofballs. Hehe. And that blackguard tele of yours was seriously sweet. It was really good to be able to put a face to Egay finally -- most of all to know that we somehow helped in our own little way. On to the next.....

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:55:56 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim

And to stay on topic, I think there was concensus that the guitar tones last night was glorious.  It was the P90 Party!  But also everything else and everyone sounded great -- Kulukati's hard-drivin syncopated blues-rock w/ Strat and a 12-string bass w/ small tube amp as overdrive unit(!),  Snakecharmer's southern rock w/ tele and LP, Firebottle's soul/gospel/blues brew w/ 2 teles, Soul Benders classic blues w/ tele and 335, and Blue Rats smooth and groovy blues/jazz/pop meld w/ strat (Squier!) and MIK soapbar PRS SE.  And the tube amps!!  Laney, Fender Silverface Princeton Reverb, Vox AC30, and tweed Kendrick Deluxe-copy....  shlurrrrp!!!   :shock:

Pero, again, it's the small community vibe and atmosphere that made it really special. Friends making new friends and enjoying the music.

Buddah, tnx a million for joining us in this benefit. I really hope everyone in the band enjoyed it as much as we did in the audience. Not only did we raise money for Egay, we had a blast doing it!  Definitely, dapat dalasan, especially in QC. ;-)

do you remember the participating bands's setlists?

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:13:09 PM »
Quote from: extreme16199

the others can chime in, but i remember doz i were in...

Firebottle:
Batugan (Labuyo)
Pinoy blues (JDLC)
Come On  (Earl King)
Dimples  (John Lee Hooker)
I Wish I Knew (Derek Trucks Band)
Ain't That Lovin You  (Derek Trucks Band)
Feel So Bad (Derek Trucks Band)

Soul Benders:
Hoochie Coochie Man
Rollin Man (Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac)
Stop messing around (Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac)
Pangako (Maria Cafra)
Walking by myself (Jimmy Rogers)
Help the poor (BB King)
Key to the Highway
Sky is crying
Real Emotions (Los Lonely Boys)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 11:44:34 PM »
Congrats guys ... two down, one to go
"No static at all ..."

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:17:30 AM »
Quote from: extreme16199

Blue Rats:

Wild About You (Robben Ford)
Heavy Love (Buddy Guy)
Man of Many Words (Joe Bonamassa)
Thrill Is Gone (BB King)
Help The Poor (BB King/Robben Ford)
Few And Far Between (Shannon Curfman)
Unchain My Heart (Ray Charles/Joe Cocker)
Tell Mama (Savoy Brown)
One Way Out (Allman Brothers)
I'm The Only One (Melissa Etheridge)
Love Me Like A Man (Bonnie Raitt)
Love Me Like That (Shannon Curfman)

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 12:43:21 AM »
Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt:

Kukulati -- loved their vibe. It was really something fresh.  It was some kind of Retro Classic Rock meets some kind of funky thing.  The vocalist was really the most animated that night and really expressive.  Eric Reyes was a great bassist in the sense that you could see that he really supported the whole band and was enjoying himself. Guitarist tended to noodle too much and was most of the time LUBOG.  Their originals really rocked and blended into their whole vibe.

Firebottle -- Not bad for a band that just started up recently but somebody commented that the vocalist could have done better.  Still, that did not spoil it for me because they could still catch attention but I felt was kinda less impressive than Kukulati.  Pero kulang pang ng pagkakabit and the whole groove could have felt more natural.

Snake Charmer -- I noticed that these guys have tried to work on their dynamics.  But lubog pa rin ang isang guitarista with the Les Paul.  Zaan's Tele sounded great but really it was just one dynamic for the whole set.  Volume level was pretty much still loud but less than what I remember they were at the last time they played magnet.  Somebody commented: Boy, do these guys sound loud.  I can personally appreciate their volume in a sense but the trade off is lost dynamics which I felt was needed for their songs that night.  But one thing I like about Snake Charmer is that from set to set at different venues they try to vary their repertoire which actually keeps them fresh to watch.  Their originals though not as fresh sounding as Kukulati, it sounded kinda what they were covering but at least it showed that they have mastered a specific style. Best wishes on your upcoming recording.

Soul Benders (more of Osterizer Blender) -- Great dynamics.  Easiest band to listen to but the other guitarist was too enthusiastic.  His volume level mismatch put down the band's otherwise close to soulfully perfect performance.  The Los Lonely Boys Cover was the only downside.  Arie got carried away and his Strat really got the better of his vocals.  But, otherwise this was the perfect band to have Egay jam on.  Kudos to Kakoi -- as usual with his tasty bluesy licks that are never a bore to listen to.  I would strongly suggest Kakoi take a part time guitarist role with the Soul Benders to free up Arie for more vocal duties.  Too bad there are no originals yet ... hmmnn maybe with Kakoi in the mix...  Surprisingly, they were the only band that kept my attention thru out their whole set.  You always were looking forward to hearing their next song because they were not boring.  However, their repertoire is kind of limited but I guess they have attempted to throw in some new songs.  I just wish they had more time to rehearse REAL EMOTION which was the first time they played it to the general public.  

Blue Rats -- I went home early (relatively that was about 1:15am), so I cannot really post a comment.

Overall a great night... Whats IN for me: Kukulati and the originals and the harmonica, Whats OUT for me: Slide guitar -- as one person said nakakaumay na

Offline Valve

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 09:16:03 AM »
Thanks, Oas. That really hits my soft spot. :)  Ni nerbyos ata yung gitarista namin dahil lahat daw nung makita nya mula sa stage, e, naka tingin sa pedal nya.  :D

Here's the list of Kulukati's set:
1. Highway Jones ( Cry of Love)
2. Crossroads (Cream)
3. Don't Beg ( orig )
4. Better Quit ( orig )
5. Tush (ZZ Top)
6. Gising ( orig )

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 10:20:07 AM »
For a self-confessed non-musician wid iffy credibility you sure have a lot of opinions. LOL!

Anyway, careful wid d critique of these gigs in particular. We're trying to raise funds for Egay n r targetting a particular amount for his treatment. We've got 2 more gigs to go (1 was conceived jst last nite) n I hope people aren't discouraged frm coming to future gigs jst bec u -- d almighty oasgomez whose standars are higher dan us "katutubong orcs" -- find fault in d artists n deyr performance. Try telling dat to Egay's wife n family.

Btw, nxt time, why not give ur comments directly to d person instead of behind ur computer? Punta punta k s gigs, tahimik at nakabuntot s best friend mong c Arie, tapos paguwi mo marami ka pala gusto sabihin. Harapin mo ako/kami kung may gusto ko sabihin, like a man, nxt time, pwede?

Haay... I'm wasting my time I know...

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »
here we go again.. by the way, welcome back, Mr. Oas :)
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »
easy lang, bossing joric. its Sunday. :lol: dont spoil the morning after, morning after glow

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 11:38:55 AM »
kamusta, mga kapatid. ako yun nerbyosong gitarista ni erick.  :D

seriously, that was fun. salamat at nakahanap din kami ng tugtugan na malapit sa puso. it was just hard to get my head straight since i knew there were A LOT of great musicians in the house and i easily get musically intimidated. feelings of inadequacy are strong in this one.  :oops:  tagal na namin di nakakatugtog ng tunay e. plus, one of my pedals is seriously suggesting retiring...and i was trying to hide myself in a boatload of distortion. paumanhin. i shouldn't have boozed up so fast too. kung may pagkakataon ulit magiging mas kompurtable na siguro ako.

everyone was great! at unang beses ko mapanood si egay and i was blown away. sarap siguro pakinggan na acoustic setting lang na sya lead voice. just to get that really lonesome sound. beautiful.

anyway, salamat sa pagkakataon at sa pagbusog ng uhaw na puso. great cause, great people, and a wonderful community vibe that i look forward in enjoying more of.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2006, 11:41:19 AM »
Quote from: micr0chimp

seriously, that was fun. salamat at nakahanap din kami ng tugtugan na malapit sa puso. it was just hard to get my head straight since i knew there were A LOT of great musicians in the house and i easily get musically intimidated. feelings of inadequacy are strong in this one.  :oops:  tagal na namin di nakakatugtog ng tunay e. plus, one of my pedals is seriously suggesting retiring...and i was trying to hide myself in a boatload of distortion. paumanhin. i shouldn't have boozed up so fast too. kung may pagkakataon ulit magiging mas kompurtable na siguro ako.

everyone was great! at unang beses ko mapanood si egay and i was blown away. sarap siguro pakinggan na acoustic setting lang na sya lead voice. just to get that really lonesome sound. beautiful.

anyway, salamat sa pagkakataon at sa pagbusog ng uhaw na puso. great cause, great people, and a wonderful community vibe that i look forward in enjoying more of.

hi there pre basta nag-enjoy ka ok na and its a plus for a good cause as well 8)
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2006, 01:02:11 PM »
nakakasayang hindi nakapunta..tsktsktkstks!!!kung me sumobra lang sana sa pang NIDO at MILO ko!!! :(

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2006, 03:30:17 PM »
Quote from: Valve
...  Ni nerbyos ata yung gitarista namin dahil lahat daw nung makita nya mula sa stage, e, naka tingin sa pedal nya.  :D

Hahaha! Kasama na kami ng anak ko na guilty dun! We were trying to figure out lang how such a fat sound was coming out of a strat! just the gear hound in all guitar players.

Ok ung twin amp approach mo Erick! Bagay sa Govt Mule vibe...

Hope to hear more from you guys. and iksi ng set ninyo.

Offline Valve

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2006, 09:05:54 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
Quote from: Valve
...  Ni nerbyos ata yung gitarista namin dahil lahat daw nung makita nya mula sa stage, e, naka tingin sa pedal nya.  :D

Hahaha! Kasama na kami ng anak ko na guilty dun! We were trying to figure out lang how such a fat sound was coming out of a strat! just the gear hound in all guitar players.

Ok ung twin amp approach mo Erick! Bagay sa Govt Mule vibe...

Hope to hear more from you guys. and iksi ng set ninyo.

Thanks, veggie Joe. Your Classic 20 is da bomb! Ganda talaga. I've fooled around with a Sansamp PSA1, but there's nothin like a cranked tube amp!

Habaan namin sa susunod.. singit lang kami, eh. :D

Offline oasgomez-is-banned

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2006, 09:40:23 PM »
Deltaslim,

Sorry.  I did not mean to put down your benefit efforts for Egay.  I did not mean to be insensitive with what I said.  

But you know it was really a great night, it was very enjoyable.  So disregard any negative comments I may have said.  Despite all this, I still think you are a great blues guitar player.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2006, 11:32:05 PM »
Bottom line here guys:

1. Play for the cause -- because it's a good one, it's selfless, and worth playing for in order to help a fellow brother out.

2. Play because it's fun. Period.

3. Try to learn something positive from the generous and talented folks who give of themselves. Add these things to your arsenal of knowledge and craft.

4. Delight in the gift of being able to sit in a room filled with others who mirror your own obsessions and are willing to share their perspective. It's called "community".

5. If something eats at you and really bothers your sensibility, have another beer. Or five. Then work on putting yourself in a position to play for the cause (see #1 above) and start the 5-point cycle all over again.

If even half the of us in this country did this in almost every arena of human endeavor -- not just in music, but in politics, work, family -- we'd have one amazing nation. Not to mention one hell of a blues scene.  :bluesmile:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2006, 07:43:44 AM »
Quote from: oasgomez
Deltaslim,

Sorry.  I did not mean to put down your benefit efforts for Egay.  I did not mean to be insensitive with what I said.  

But you know it was really a great night, it was very enjoyable.  So disregard any negative comments I may have said.  Despite all this, I still think you are a great blues guitar player.

Alex, thanks. I'll accept that in behalf of Egay, cuz personally I hv no problems wid ur comments. In fact, I feel ur observations are valid (seriously, kahit tanungin mo buddies ko) but ur timing and delivery is not good and runs against d efforts of dozens of people who've been helping make this successful for Egay's sake. Un lang un.  Negative comments are fine, unless u were being personal n irrational. I hope not.

Within our bands n personally, I take these comments n run wid it so we cn improve. Even b4 ur post naguusap n kmi s Firebottle n Soul Benders abt how to work on areas of improvement based sa initial feedback n personal observations.

Cool k lang, enjoy d music, n next time - feel free to just approach me or any of us to give ur feedback or talk shop.

Tnx again for patronizing d benefit n sharing ur comments.
- Joric

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2006, 07:48:54 AM »
Quote from: blue buddha
Bottom line here guys:

1. Play for the cause -- because it's a good one, it's selfless, and worth playing for in order to help a fellow brother out.

2. Play because it's fun. Period.

3. Try to learn something positive from the generous and talented folks who give of themselves. Add these things to your arsenal of knowledge and craft.

4. Delight in the gift of being able to sit in a room filled with others who mirror your own obsessions and are willing to share their perspective. It's called "community".

5. If something eats at you and really bothers your sensibility, have another beer. Or five. Then work on putting yourself in a position to play for the cause (see #1 above) and start the 5-point cycle all over again.

If even half the of us in this country did this in almost every arena of human endeavor -- not just in music, but in politics, work, family -- we'd have one amazing nation. Not to mention one hell of a blues scene.  :bluesmile:

Spoken like a true, uhmmm, buddah!  Thanks and noted po.

As you say, on to the next!

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 08:12:10 AM »
Quote from: micr0chimp

you got the groove dude. great guitar work.

mr. valve, now I know how a 12 stringer sounds. super thick!!!!! : 8)
Surf's Up!

Offline glassjaw_jc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2006, 08:14:39 AM »
Sayang di ko na napanood yung ibang bands. But I saw the rain pouring outside so I gotta run. Mahirap umuwi sa malayo pag umuulan.
Surf's Up!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 08:41:41 AM »
Well said, Messrs. blue buddha and deltaslim.

Gosh, you guys make me wish I was talented enough to participate for this cause!!! Hehehe...Ah well, maybe after a few more years of practice, and after having watched you guys long enough and picked up pointers... and mojo!  :)

For now we are very happy to have a few beers and enjoy listening and watching you guys play! My buddies and I are so glad that blues is back on the map! Sana mas marami pa makakarating sa next gig for Mr. Egay's benefit. We will soon need a bigger venue!