hulika

Author Topic: Max Rufo Pickups Thread  (Read 65772 times)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Max Rufo Pickups Thread
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »
Thanks for the invite but I need the pickups on my amplifier set up too.  I also need a couple of days to test to go thru the different amps and effects.  More importantly, I have to test thru different volume levels which might be too much.

how bout just dropping by his place put the pickups in..drive back to your place and have at it?

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »
Thanks for the invite but I need the pickups on my amplifier set up too.  I also need a couple of days to test to go thru the different amps and effects.  More importantly, I have to test thru different volume levels which might be too much.

i like to test them RAWWW :evil:

Offline lindtaylor

• Veteran Member
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2010, 12:34:43 AM »

"Kung gusto may paraan, kung ayaw may dahilan.."

Your experience is well noted but cannot be quoted. Because you haven't tried it yet.
You clamor to be open but you're the critic you should at least find a way to try it. (Best way = Drop By at his place)

I believe that Mang Max Rufo is 1,000,000,000,000,000% (1 quadrillion percent)
humble enough to absorb your "criticism" to help him improve his product.

I respect your opinion about branded gears.
But come on men. We are Filipino so let's support each other. :-)

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2010, 05:09:31 AM »

Your experience is well noted but cannot be quoted. Because you haven't tried it yet.
You clamor to be open but you're the critic you should at least find a way to try it. (Best way = Drop By at his place)

+1
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2010, 05:28:01 AM »
Send me a sample for review.  

I guess No one here cares to send it. It requires too much of our time.

Right now, I don't see any reason to buy his pickup. So it has to impress me from the get-go. My personal opinion is he doesn't have the exposure and the necessary skills to make magical sounding pickups which could all change after I try them but since he and his crew are trying to make the sale, they should send a sample.  In my personal experience, the great pickup makers -- the good sounding ones for me -- don't even make guitars or have stopped making guitars to focus on their pickups.  

Where did you base your opinion sir? Btw we're Kuya Max satisfied clients, not crew. :wink:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:47:16 PM by slowhandpal »

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:35 AM »
Ang hindi ko maintindihan bakit inuunahan na yung pickups and yung manufacturers. And trying to insinuate that they cannot make good products because they don't own the more expensive pickups.

Everybody has to start from somewhere. If the Rufo pickups are not as good as Bareknuckles, Kinmans and Lollars, then there is always room for improvements.

Alex, a lot of us cannot and probably will never afford the expensive pickups you own. Hindi namin sinasabi na masama na magkaroon ng mamahaling produkto. Pero wag mong ipantay sa amin ang yaman mo. Mahihirap lang ang karamihan sa amin at hanggang dun lang ang kaya naming bilhin.

Alam namin na maganda tumunog ang mga Kinmans. Pero hindi ibig sabihin na dapat mong ikumpara sa mga murang pickups amin.

Don't teach us to be tone snobs. We cannot afford it. Respetuhin mo na lang na hanggang ganiyan lang ang kaya naming bilhin.

Sorry Alex, hindi talaga kami ka level mo. Langit ka lupa kami. Hayaan mo na lang kami sa aming mumurahing instrumento, we make beautiful music naman e. I have yet to hear you play great music with your Baker.

Ika nga ng librong Small Is Beautiful, why give us a tractor when a shovel will do the job just fine if not better!
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline skrumian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2010, 06:06:37 AM »
paano nagwowork pagiging noiseless nito? may dummy coil? sana meron dito may ideya kung pano magwork ito. sana wala magsabi ng "secret.." haha. :D
Looking for second hand but still in good condition books:
1) The Complete MBA for Dummies; and 2) The Ten Day MBA
PM me!

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2010, 06:40:02 AM »
paano nagwowork pagiging noiseless nito? may dummy coil? sana meron dito may ideya kung pano magwork ito. sana wala magsabi ng "secret.." haha. :D
[/quote

No dummy coil absolutely.Its a trade secret but I was so glad Kuya Max showed it to me and explained the theory behind it, it was not done by accident to be more honest with you guys. It's a true single coil pick up.For those who have tasted it jaja, ordinary magnets pa lang ang ginamit non.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2010, 06:46:53 AM »

I know a guy who relocated from Australia to make pickups here in the Philippines and employs around 20 Filipinos in Clark who is the best at what he does in the world with over 30 years in pickup making experience with patents that Fender has violated.  And frankly, he has done what Max is trying to do with noiseless single coils -- too bad that Max is 30 years behind.  So, should we sacrifice those twenty other Filipinos?  Not too mention the investment put into the facility and the LEGAL taxes that the guy is paying to the Philippine government.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:47:00 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2010, 06:49:15 AM »
I guess No one here cares to send it. It requires too much of our time.

Where did you base your opinion sir? Btw we're Kuya Max satisfied clients, not crews. :wink:

Max should send it. Sorry, I just don't know what to call Max Rufo's satisfied clients. Pati naman Santa Mesa customers may mga satisfied....

I promise to return them if I don't like them and I promise to buy them if they are great.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 06:50:44 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2010, 06:52:24 AM »
how bout just dropping by his place put the pickups in..drive back to your place and have at it?

I need a few days to overcome ear fatigue.  And I also plan to have a Kinman set with me and my Don Mare set to interchange.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2010, 07:43:53 AM »
Ang hindi ko maintindihan bakit inuunahan na yung pickups and yung manufacturers. And trying to insinuate that they cannot make good products because they don't own the more expensive pickups.

Everybody has to start from somewhere. If the Rufo pickups are not as good as Bareknuckles, Kinmans and Lollars, then there is always room for improvements.

Alex, a lot of us cannot and probably will never afford the expensive pickups you own. Hindi namin sinasabi na masama na magkaroon ng mamahaling produkto. Pero wag mong ipantay sa amin ang yaman mo. Mahihirap lang ang karamihan sa amin at hanggang dun lang ang kaya naming bilhin.

Alam namin na maganda tumunog ang mga Kinmans. Pero hindi ibig sabihin na dapat mong ikumpara sa mga murang pickups amin.

Don't teach us to be tone snobs. We cannot afford it. Respetuhin mo na lang na hanggang ganiyan lang ang kaya naming bilhin.

Sorry Alex, hindi talaga kami ka level mo. Langit ka lupa kami. Hayaan mo na lang kami sa aming mumurahing instrumento, we make beautiful music naman e. I have yet to hear you play great music with your Baker.

Ika nga ng librong Small Is Beautiful, why give us a tractor when a shovel will do the job just fine if not better!

Wait a minute... mga satisfied clients ni Mang Max ang nauna.  Tapos for tweaking pa pala ang pickup.  In my opinion, what you are paying for in expensive pickups IS NOT THE ACTUAL MATERIAL, LABOR INVOLVED, OR PACKAGING but rather the exposure, the experience and the ability to HEAR by the designer.  So right now price is NOT yet an issue because I have not yet tested his pickup. 

Fender Pickups started somewhere and I think that their production today against bareknuckles, kinmans and lollars are inferior and are getting worse by the year without any chance of improvement.

It has nothing to do with wealth.  Sinsabi ko lang na huwag niyo muna rin IPANTAY si Max sa mga magagaling gumawa ng pickup regardless of price lalo na kung hindi niyo pa nasusubukan.

My point is that you only need one set of pickups on a guitar. YOU CAN SAVE UP FOR THEM IN A YEAR.  If Max can produce a cheaper pickup that rivals kinmans than I am for it.  Better because you have to SAVE UP FOR LESS.  Again at this point, hindi ko pa pinapasok and price sa equation.  Eh kung kasing ganda ng Kinmans ang gawa ni Max at itaas niya ang presyo kagaya ng Kinmans, bibilhin niyo ba?  Hindi naman ata fair kung hindi niyo bilhin.

Offline region III

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2010, 09:17:41 AM »
I know a guy who relocated from Australia to make pickups here in the Philippines and employs around 20 Filipinos in Clark who is the best at what he does in the world with over 30 years in pickup making experience with patents that Fender has violated.  And frankly, he has done what Max is trying to do with noiseless single coils -- too bad that Max is 30 years behind.  So, should we sacrifice those twenty other Filipinos?  Not too mention the investment put into the facility and the LEGAL taxes that the guy is paying to the Philippine government.

he's probably using out of this world materials huh :? in these days and age, nobody is 30 years behind. :wink:

how did the kinmans come into the equation anyway? i haven't read anything comparing them to kinmans :-) all i read is that they're good. not exactly the best but good. i'll buy a set when they come out so i can try them. this does not mean that i will instantly like them.

music is art
gears are tools
even the worst pickups in the world can probably make good music in the right hands.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2010, 09:35:56 AM »

even the worst pickups in the world can probably make good music in the right hands.

Dude, what happens if we reverse it?

Even the best pickups in the world will probably make bad music in the wrong hands?  :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
Wait a minute... mga satisfied clients ni Mang Max ang nauna.  Tapos for tweaking pa pala ang pickup.  In my opinion, what you are paying for in expensive pickups IS NOT THE ACTUAL MATERIAL, LABOR INVOLVED, OR PACKAGING but rather the exposure, the experience and the ability to HEAR by the designer.  So right now price is NOT yet an issue because I have not yet tested his pickup. 

Fender Pickups started somewhere and I think that their production today against bareknuckles, kinmans and lollars are inferior and are getting worse by the year without any chance of improvement.

It has nothing to do with wealth.  Sinsabi ko lang na huwag niyo muna rin IPANTAY si Max sa mga magagaling gumawa ng pickup regardless of price lalo na kung hindi niyo pa nasusubukan.

My point is that you only need one set of pickups on a guitar. YOU CAN SAVE UP FOR THEM IN A YEAR.  If Max can produce a cheaper pickup that rivals kinmans than I am for it.  Better because you have to SAVE UP FOR LESS.  Again at this point, hindi ko pa pinapasok and price sa equation.  Eh kung kasing ganda ng Kinmans ang gawa ni Max at itaas niya ang presyo kagaya ng Kinmans, bibilhin niyo ba?  Hindi naman ata fair kung hindi niyo bilhin.

O sige andun na ako. If you have mentioned standard brand names like Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio or Mightymite, baka suportahan pa kita. Knowing from your posts, your only standards of good tone are boutique products which hindi nga namin kaya bilhin. We have a low chance of trying them out let alone own one.

Fender pickups? A friend of mine bought a fat '60s pickups for strat and the sound was amazing! See the point here? Hindi ka nasasatisfy sa standard products e. Kaya pag naglagay ka ng opinion or ratings, mahirap paniwalaan kasi it is compared against a boutique brand. Kaya nga we are comparing it first to standard brands.

Tama si guitarwiz e, alam na namin saan patutungo ang mga sasabihin mo.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2010, 11:39:01 AM »
medyo OT: nag rewire ba ng guitar electronics si mang max? meron din ba sya electronic parts available like pots, toggle switch and capacitors? balak ko kasi replace saka rewire yung electronics ng dalawa guitar ko.

more power Mang Max!

Offline frivers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2010, 11:59:24 AM »
unang una sir alex I didnt compare mang max pups sa ibang high end pups. i just described the sound it produced during my trial. Im just trying to promote mang max and his new pickups. katulad nga sinabe ko pwedeng magustuhan ko yung pups at di magustuhan ng marami dito sa pm kaya nga i stated din na mas maganda matry niyo personally.

basta saken lang mapromote ang creations ni mang max period.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
subukan na lang kasi andami pa satsat e.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »
parang gearmanndude lang.  :lol:
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline jhaystrat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
Even the best pickups in the world will probably make bad music in the wrong hands?  :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

aray!  :lol:

Offline slowhandpal

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »
I know a guy who relocated from Australia to make pickups here in the Philippines and employs around 20 Filipinos in Clark who is the best at what he does in the world with over 30 years in pickup making experience with patents that Fender has violated.  And frankly, he has done what Max is trying to do with noiseless single coils -- too bad that Max is 30 years behind.   So, should we sacrifice those twenty other Filipinos?  Not too mention the investment put into the facility and the LEGAL taxes that the guy is paying to the Philippine government.

I'm afraid this is too much of a pressumption sir. For the record, Max pick ups were done differently compared to Fender noiseless p.ups & SDs.

Offline frivers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »
subukan na lang kasi andami pa satsat e.

+1

Offline st_anger

« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2010, 12:39:43 PM »
I need a few days to overcome ear fatigue.  And I also plan to have a Kinman set with me and my Don Mare set to interchange.
pakita mo nga gears mo... post ka ng pics.... baka naman puro from google lang ang mga sinasabi mo

Offline jefisipbata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2010, 12:44:10 PM »
pakita mo nga gears mo... post ka ng pics.... baka naman puro from google lang ang mga sinasabi mo

:?

Offline jellogz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »

LOL :lol:, seriously, before you butt-in, do your research first
Just wont burn...