hulika

Author Topic: TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Mahineman

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« on: July 17, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »
If you have found a great tone from your gear please share it here in this thread.  This will help other guitarists in purchasing equipment.  Share the love everyone!!!

I'll start:  I have discovered that The Big Muff US sounds better and creamier with an overdrive unit infront of it set to minimum drive and 3 o'clock volume.  And the v-twin sounds more alive with a ts9 infront of it.
DESTROY!!! DIY Guitar/Bass/Amps/effects Repair and maintenance. 09178742102 www.facebook.com/BLASTERSTUDIO
Endorsements: Xotic effects, Draven Shoes, Superlux Headphones http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413
www.blasterteam.com

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
hmmm TONE...like beauty is in the eye/ears of the beholder. this topic about tone is relative...

dami ng duscussions about this here or any guitar forums and it seems to end up with disagreements... so good luck sa iyong adhikain kaibigan!

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 07:58:17 PM »
What Big Muff are you referring to? The one with the silver metal chassis and red 'pi' logo at the center?

Yeah, I think I've heard that particular unit from a friend of mine.. and it sure sounds good even as a stand-alone unit .. with another od before it, I'm sure it sounds great

For me, one of the best combos I've tried so far are the ProCo Rat 2 boosted by another overdrive: particularly an SD-1, a Vox Valvetone or a modded TS-9.

Funny thing is, much as I'd love to rave to no end about this or that particular combination, over the years, I've noticed that my 'taste' always changes. And it always varies from jam to jam.. Sometimes, a certain combination sounds better for a particular day. At other times, what seems to be your 'favorite' pair just doesn't seem to cut it at all ..

What knocks me even further is that, sometimes, you come across something that you haven't used for some time and viola! ... it works just like magic!

Sometimes, you dial in such a nice setting with just your guitar straight to an amp and you feel that you don't even need an overdrive to sound great ..

With so many variables to take into account, I'd be reluctant to peg my tone on just a few pedals ...

It depends on the gig, I guess ..  :)
"No static at all ..."

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 08:54:09 PM »
hi tonefreaks :lol:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline Kulas

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 11:03:27 PM »
nako, wag naman sana maging tone debate yung thread na 'to... hehe

most japanese-made guitars maganda ang tone, hehe. yun lang masasabi ko, wala akong alam sa stomps eh, hehe.

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 11:47:53 PM »
Hhmm... hintay nalang ng favorite tone meister of the guitar central to share his 2 million cents to this thread, hehe :lol:  This might be an interesting thread.

Offline Kulas

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 11:50:33 PM »
tumutugtog na ba ang intro music ala-WWE? hehehe wala pa?

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 11:53:42 PM »
Quote from: Kulas
tumutugtog na ba ang intro music ala-WWE? hehehe wala pa?

:lol:  :lol: ...mismo
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 12:14:34 AM »
Quote from: stratman1
Hhmm... hintay nalang ng favorite tone meister of the guitar central to share his 2 million cents to this thread, hehe :lol:  This might be an interesting thread.

kilala ko yan! bwahahahaha!:twisted:

Offline alquin

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 12:40:59 AM »
teka ako ata yan ah.. hehhe...

I discover that my 2000 pesos fernado amp, sounds better than a $4000 amp  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: , in any settings , nothing beats my AMP..hahahahhaha.. I love my amp, ind I will sell it for $4100.. any takers?

Offline Mahineman

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 02:22:19 AM »
toneseekers!!!  Actually this thread is to give advice to all the guitarists out there who need help on what to purchase and mix and match...so thanks everyone for posting!!!  

And I agree with cheap stuff sometimes sounding better than expensive stuff.  I had a crappy taiwan dist years ago.  It sounded better than my ds2.  So i sold my ds2.
DESTROY!!! DIY Guitar/Bass/Amps/effects Repair and maintenance. 09178742102 www.facebook.com/BLASTERSTUDIO
Endorsements: Xotic effects, Draven Shoes, Superlux Headphones http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=413
www.blasterteam.com

Offline Mahineman

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 02:26:49 AM »
about the big muff.  Yes it's the stainless steal one.  It sounds good as a stand alone, but I put an OD infront and it sounded better.
www.blasterteam.com

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »
Kulas, that avatar photo of your strat is driving me insane.. in fact i'm gassing for a strat now. damn you!!!!!!  :x

yes i want to see this thread spiral out of control.. it's been a slow month so far..  :cry:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 09:29:33 AM »
Jack, hate to admit it but I feel the same way, hehe :twisted: It has been a slow week in this forum. I guess controversy makes a good reading :lol:  I can see smoke in the horizon. From the what I gather, flames will start to show around the weekend... or not, hehe :lol:

Offline markflo

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 09:50:16 AM »
sige...ako na magsisimula ng away...

MY TONE IS BETTER THAN YOUR TONE! YOUR TONE SUCKS!!!

hahaha joke joke joke!

peace tayo lahat...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
At first, an MT2 sounded flat and nasal to me, but was improved by chaining a tube screamer to it.

Now I say, just mod the shyt out of an MT2 and you'll be in tone heaven (well...almost) :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline rubis915

Ako..
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 01:15:55 PM »
Ako ang trip ko....

AMP -> Wah -> Rat2 -> Tube Driver -> TS9 ->    PU: 80's Dimarzio PAF

mas ok sa akin tong set-up na ito sa huli yung
TS9 kasi pag asa harap at pinagsabay mo ang RAT2
at TS9 ang nipis.. this way makapal pa rin ang tunog..
at ang tunog ng wah pag malapit sa amp
galit na galit na bata....   :lol:  
and i really like having a Overdrive, Disto1 and Disto2
in my set-up.
And i really like the Feedback Squeal pag naka-on
parehas ang TS9 at Rat2.  :wink:
"double shot triple espresso with a black coffee chaser without the 'frying bacon sound' tone'..."

Check this band: https://soundcloud.com/mad-love-misery

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 01:20:28 PM »
Quote from: Mahineman
If you have found a great tone from your gear please share it here in this thread.  This will help other guitarists in purchasing equipment.  Share the love everyone!!!

I'll start:  I have discovered that The Big Muff US sounds better and creamier with an overdrive unit infront of it set to minimum drive and 3 o'clock volume.  And the v-twin sounds more alive with a ts9 infront of it.

It's all subjective but recently I found glorious tone w/ my Hondo 335 w/ HD Z90s thru a Fulldrive 2 MOSFET into a Silverface Princeton Reverb at 7.

In the past I got great tone w/ an LP w/ P90s or HBs direct to a Deluxe Reverb - for me, perfect match sila palagi.  Enuff power from the P90 or HB to OD the amp, no pedals needed.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 01:44:25 PM »
I get really cool tones with my strats neck and bridge pickup thru my Legacy head and cab.....weird eventhough singel coil sya...hindi kalayo layo ang pagkathick ng tone nya sa HB equipped guitars ko.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 01:52:51 PM »
Fulltone Fulldrive for creamy blues tone (not too much gain). DS-1 Keeley for marshall mod gain tone. MT-2 Keeley from fat metal to mid scooped nu-metal grind. Nice with solid state but better with tube amps.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 03:49:15 PM »
Quote from: markflo
sige...ako na magsisimula ng away...

MY TONE IS BETTER THAN YOUR TONE! YOUR TONE SUCKS!!!

hahaha joke joke joke!

peace tayo lahat...

:lol:
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline Mahineman

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 05:41:25 PM »
Kahit subjective yung tone it will still help guitarists.  Personal points of views are also info bros.  So I don't believe that this thread will get out of control unless may nananadya diyan.  So share whatever you guys wanna share as long as it's about getting good tone.  Peace people!!!
www.blasterteam.com

Offline Mahineman

TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2006, 07:57:56 PM »
I really wanna try a fulltone fulldrive2 pero wala sa pinas nito.  Kaya ba mag stand alone OD pedal to or pang boost lang talaga siya???
www.blasterteam.com

Offline greenweenie

• Philmusicus Addictus
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 08:41:39 PM »
I find that a USA Big Muff before a Mode II DS2 is nice for me :D Plus kick in a Micro Amp in front of the Muff... it sustains like hell. :D

Offline extreme16199

• Forum Fanatic
TONE SEEKERS UNITE!!!
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 09:15:17 PM »
Quote from: Mahineman
I really wanna try a fulltone fulldrive2 pero wala sa pinas nito.  Kaya ba mag stand alone OD pedal to or pang boost lang talaga siya???

standalone od with boost.  yung may comp cut na version can be used as a boost.