hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 310038 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
What do you want to learn about recording?
« on: July 19, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »
Okay, forumites! Listen up!

If you had a chance to walk into a studio and be taught everything under the sun about recording, what would you like to know?

I have been in discussion with another forumite about setting up a workshop to learn about recording. The basic premise is that we will work with what is locally available, hardware and software-wise, mimicking the plight of most recordists here. The goal is to try to educate most musicians/bands on how to properly record their music, if possible in a DIY setting. Hopefully, we will post mp3's and pics of the workshop's progress. The purpose of this post is to let us know specifically, what interests the majority out there.

Any violent reactions?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Sound Weavers

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 03:48:12 PM »
Excellent idea KITC.

One immediate and obvious suggestion is to break down to related subjects/topics

- Tracking. Signal chain, mic selection, mic placement.

- Editing

- Mixing

Gerry

Offline jplacson

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 07:09:36 PM »
basics... proper miking techniques given different situations...

-understanding room modes and effect on miking techniques

-miking a band all in one room

-miking just the drums, given limited mics

-miking drums individually

-miking acoustic guitars

-why use room mics... why NOT to use them... same goes for close miking, the whys and why nots.

-gain staging (why to NOT just pump up trim/gain)
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Jie

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 07:38:51 PM »
This is a great idea!
For everyone who's into recording this is a chance to put those knowledge into practice.
This event will certainly give a positive result.

Few things i would like to add...
 Effects Processor
 Mixing
 Mastering

Jie

She Is Everything To Me, The Unrequited Dream. A Song That No one Sings, The Unattainable. - Vermilion Prt.2

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
I think it's better to start with Live Sound first because that's where the fundamentals of audio are.

example: What's a "decibel"?  :?
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:31:41 AM »
sakin better to know first the hardware used.. how to connect each hardware to each other and what are the best, loacally available hardware for recording.. for example. instruments>>mixer>>processors>>interface>>pc>> end product

for me.. mas maganda malaman muna ang function ng bawat isa para ma setup ng maigi..

and another thing na gusto ko malaman is what are the advantages/dis-advantages ng ng pc recording or using  recording equipments like tascams has..

actually sir kitC, im planning to ask you nga sana if i can visit your studio para makita setup mo and to gain knowlege as well..hehehe. if thats ok.. :oops:
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:36:40 AM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
I think it's better to start with Live Sound first because that's where the fundamentals of audio are.

True, however we know that decibels manifest in various perspectives (ie dBv, dBu, dBw, dBm, dBspl etc...).

Better yet, start with the main source of the subject - "What is sound?" :wink:

Just my opinion. :)
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 02:40:42 AM »
Quote from: KitC
Okay, forumites! Listen up!

If you had a chance to walk into a studio and be taught everything under the sun about recording, what would you like to know?

I have been in discussion with another forumite about setting up a workshop to learn about recording. The basic premise is that we will work with what is locally available, hardware and software-wise, mimicking the plight of most recordists here. The goal is to try to educate most musicians/bands on how to properly record their music, if possible in a DIY setting. Hopefully, we will post mp3's and pics of the workshop's progress. The purpose of this post is to let us know specifically, what interests the majority out there.

Any violent reactions?

Ok yan sir. :D Sana may mga nag-ku-kusa ring mag-organize nang ganyang workshops dito. :(

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:02:24 AM »
Quote from: Agent_So
actually sir kitC, im planning to ask you nga sana if i can visit your studio para makita setup mo and to gain knowlege as well..hehehe. if thats ok.. :oops:

Hehe. Normally, I would accept but I moved all gear into my bedroom and I have an angel guarding my bed so... no go.

I'm building a 2nd portable DAW based on a Shuttle-type case and it will probably house my DSP Factory. Maybe then my 'studio' will go to you instead.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 07:06:23 AM »
Quote from: markthevirtuoso

True, however we know that decibels manifest in various perspectives (ie dBv, dBu, dBw, dBm, dBspl etc...).

Picky, picky...

Or better yet,

Part 1. "The Ear & Psychoacoustics of Hearing"
Part 2. "The Nature of Sound"

:wink:  :wink:

examples:

What are the three physical components of sound and their perceived correlate?

What are the three ways to graph sound? Which of the three components are visible in each?

What are the four areas of the acoustic envelope that define the dynamics of a sound?

What are the three major subdivisions of the auditory system? Give the mediums through which sound travels in each of these subdivisions.

If sound follows the Law of Energy Conservation, what three things can happen when sound energy strikes a surface?

etc.

:lol:
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 07:55:44 AM »
Quote from: KitC

Free?

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 08:06:57 AM »
Sali ako.

Reading print ads in music mags, I wonder what all those hardware and software does.
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 10:43:03 AM »
hey guys. for the more technical aspects of recording, maybe the thread with the title, 'IAA Lectures', might interest you.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 12:07:13 PM »
manganda po yan sirs..para mapa Newbie hanggang mapadalubhasa...anu ba po balak .. hands on talaga(as in classes) o thru boards lang?
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 12:16:16 PM »
It seems the list is ever growing as to what we want to be taught but as always, time is the limiting factor. If we were to simplify what you want and need to know and not get too technical in the process, a practical approach if you will, it will help define the course better. This is not to say this will become a "Recording for Dummies" session, but hopefully something tailored  for the majority with more than just basic knowledge handed out. The main purpose here is to spread out knowledge in hopes that anyone's recording will improve regardless of the gear. Comments from newbies to recording are especially welcome.

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 06:33:52 PM »
Quote from: markthevirtuoso

Picky, picky...

Or better yet,

Part 1. "The Ear & Psychoacoustics of Hearing"
Part 2. "The Nature of Sound"

:wink:  :wink:

examples:

What are the three physical components of sound and their perceived correlate?

What are the three ways to graph sound? Which of the three components are visible in each?

What are the four areas of the acoustic envelope that define the dynamics of a sound?

What are the three major subdivisions of the auditory system? Give the mediums through which sound travels in each of these subdivisions.

If sound follows the Law of Energy Conservation, what three things can happen when sound energy strikes a surface?

etc.

:lol:

Wow deeper topics, ayos yan! I'd love to learn those. :D

Kaso kulang isang linggo dyan. :lol:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 08:28:32 AM »
Nice one Kit :) well, ano nga ba maganda ... to dwell in theory muna or sabayin na theory and practice?
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »
kitC
ok yang idea na yan..siguro theory with applications na din para mabilis yung improvement naming mga bagito sa larangan ng recording..   :oops: .. isa sa mga gusto kong matutuhan e yung micing ng drums.. ie. placement at distance.. saka marami pang iba..panahon lang talaga ang kulang...  :cry: ..
ps
ang ganda nung angel..sana ako  meron din  :lol: ... kapag natutunan na natin yung mga ideas, i think pwede na nating ipost yung sound bites nung mga natutunan natin..agree????
hazel
i got the catalog on the fireface ( o catalog lang ha..) and it is really good!!ang ganda ng fireface mo.. kakainggit ka.. sana yun na lang binili ko  :roll:
Music is art in sound...

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 09:20:35 PM »
Quote from: Sound Weavers
- Tracking. Signal chain, mic selection, mic placement.

Quote from: jplacson
basics... proper miking techniques given different situations...

-understanding room modes and effect on miking techniques

-miking a band all in one room

-miking just the drums, given limited mics

-miking drums individually

-miking acoustic guitars

-why use room mics... why NOT to use them... same goes for close miking, the whys and why nots.

Quote from: BALDO
isa sa mga gusto kong matutuhan e yung micing ng drums.. ie. placement at distance..

The selection and placement of microphones can have a great influence on the sound of an acoustic recording. It is common view in the recording industry that the music played by a skilled musician with a quality instrument properly mic-ed can be sent directly to the recorder with little or no alteration. This simple approach can often sound better than an instrument that has been reshaped by layers of signal processing gear.

In this practical workshop, I hope the teachers demonstrate particular mic techniques and placement -- techniques to pickup a natural tonal balance, techniques to help reject unwanted sounds, and even techniques to create special effects. To do this, some fundamentals of microphones, instruments, and acoustics must be presented.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 05:55:55 AM »
Quote from: starfugger
Nice one Kit :) well, ano nga ba maganda ... to dwell in theory muna or sabayin na theory and practice?

grounding yourself in theory would be beneficial pero you also have to consider the real-world appliction of the theories because the very existence of unpredictable factors affect the ideal application of whatever theory you are studying. as such, dividing the theory into modules and immediately supplementing the lesson with demonstrated applications would be ideal, i think.

feedback?
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline jplacson

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2006, 01:35:56 PM »

The selection and placement of microphones can have a great influence on the sound of an acoustic recording. It is common view in the recording industry that the music played by a skilled musician with a quality instrument properly mic-ed can be sent directly to the recorder with little or no alteration. This simple approach can often sound better than an instrument that has been reshaped by layers of signal processing gear.

In this practical workshop, I hope the teachers demonstrate particular mic techniques and placement -- techniques to pickup a natural tonal balance, techniques to help reject unwanted sounds, and even techniques to create special effects. To do this, some fundamentals of microphones, instruments, and acoustics must be presented.

Garbage in ---> Garbage out.  Agreed... I feel this is a BIG fundamental principle that needs to be taught and re-taught (to both newbies and pros alike) since this is the foundation of "recording".  Mic placement is a science and art where 1cm can make all the difference between "HEAVY metal" and "tin can".

There is no "set and forget" mic placement technique.  There are general guidelines (NOT rules) but they don't work for everything... or everyone.

You can't learn enough miking techniques! :)
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 04:34:50 PM »
i want to learn how to get a good sound to start with and how to mix that good sound to make it a great sound and how to master it to make it  awesome sound!

sana matuloy workshop this would be such a blessing

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2006, 04:44:32 PM »
hey friends.

the link below might interest a lot of you...

http://www.epinions.com/inst-home_recording/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~4

hopefully the workshop is gonna address a lot of these topics.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline Bigboy

• Philmusicus Noobitus
recording workshop
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 12:15:26 AM »
may tentative date na ba ang recording workshop? just asking.
intersado me dito kasi puro musikero familya namin except me, cguro sa recording ng tslents nila ako pwede.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 12:28:15 AM »
Nasa drawing board pa lang and we're still trying to plan a workshop that will benefit all based on your inputs in this thread. Someone has already offered a venue but nothing's final yet.

Hang on, folks! This things take some planning, time and a lot of concerted effort.