hulika

Author Topic: The Dawn Movie : Tulad ng Dati  (Read 2354 times)

Offline ronnie james jeremy

• Veteran Member
The Dawn Movie : Tulad ng Dati
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:22:29 PM »
I attended the screening of Mike Sandejas' semi-bio/alternate reality film about the Dawn last night at CCP's little theater.  Tons of guitar playing from francis brew, i found the film to be uniquely entertaining because the actors themselves (the dawn et al) played their own instruments and acted out as themselves. Fancis brew proved to be a revelation with his thespic prowess as he spews out one liners and provides welcome comic relief, buddy zabala is no slouch in this department too. Although the film is centered around vocalist jet pangan's dillema of trying to overcome his selective amnesia (he can't remember anything past 1988 -- how cool is that) ala First 50 Dates, francis and buddy are cool scene stealers.  Not to mention Ping Medina's uncanny portrayal of the late Teddy Diaz which really creeped me out.   Not to be missed also is the guitar playing showdown between francis and the guitar player from a rival band (creatively named ratbunitata) wherein francis played a yamaha les paul and executed metheny like passages culminating in  a barrage of three fingered tapping licks.  The film tended to drag a little in the middle but the short footage of teddy diaz doing his jimmy page impression (probably culled from the san miguel beer storm concert series) at the end of the film is well worth the wait.  

This film is an entry of Sandejas in the Cinemalaya indie film festival and is shown only at the CCP little theater throughout July, tickets cost Php 100.   And no they didn't pay me write this, i just think guitar players in this forum would be interested in this film because of the wicked guitar playing :)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »
Sounds cool, bro ...

Thanks for the comprehensive review.

I know Francis is an ardent Metheny fan, and it'd be great to see him playing in that vein..

Should be one for the annals of pinoy rock history ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »
this is interesting. what time po sila nag show?
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline jiu-jitsu brasileiro

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:32:05 AM »
Quote from: vaisteen2003
this is interesting. what time po sila nag show?

check the screening sked here:

http://www.thedawn.ph/gigs.html
nemo me impune lacesit

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
Re: The Dawn Movie : Tulad ng Dati
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 03:43:39 PM »
Quote from: ronnie james jeremy
Not to be missed also is the guitar playing showdown between francis and the guitar player from a rival band (creatively named ratbunitata) wherein francis played a yamaha les paul and executed metheny like passages culminating in  a barrage of three fingered tapping licks.

Sayang di na naglalabas ng ganyan si Francis sa mga kanta nila. His playing is so laid-back now. Maybe too laid-back for those who remember his shredding.

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 06:06:37 PM »
uy si Buddy Zabala na pala bassist nila... Buddy and that former bassist ng POT(forgot his name), they are the perfect example of how a bassist should be..galing magdala ng groove and very funky!

Offline rainraz

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 01:55:20 PM »
this is interesting.. :) kung may time ako gusto ko manuod!