hulika

Author Topic: pup question.  (Read 1939 times)

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
pup question.
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:13:05 AM »
any suggestions on what pups i should get? i need high ouput pups suited for metal which are readily available here in the Philippines..

i would get the EMG81/85 but i can't find anyone of these here.

suggestions?

Offline raffy24

• Netizen Level
pup question.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 08:43:35 AM »
try dimarzio x2n for the bridge position. grabe output nyan bro. warning lang baka maadik ka sa ka ka palm mute  :twisted:

or dimarzio tonezone, havent tried it pero daming gumagamit na taga dito.
To live is to die...

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
pup question.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
salamat kapatid.. hrmmm... iniisip ko kasi yung SD invader.. kaso wala rin akong mahanap.. grr.

Offline raffy24

• Netizen Level
pup question.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:01:42 PM »
hmm... mejo mahirap nga maghanap ng invader, pero nung na try ko yung sg ni jayvee, naka invader yun e, konti lang ang difference nya dun sa ibanez ko na naka dimarzio superdistortion. experiment ka nalang bro. try mo din to kung invader talaga gusto mo.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfscrourhoov.html

mura pa.
To live is to die...

Offline alquin

pup question.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 10:20:32 PM »
EMG ... You cant go wrong on this, lalo n sa metal....

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
pup question.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:08:10 PM »
saan siya makakabili ng EMG?  :lol:

anyway, i think high output for the sake of super high gain distortion is a bit overrated. most metal players will run their guitars through one or two "metal" distortion pedals or an amp with equivalent gain, anyway.

but then again, that's just me thinking the severe loss of versatility with high output pickups like the X2N or the Invader isn't worth it.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline greasykid

• Philmusicus Addictus
pup question.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 03:53:08 AM »
Uy! Agree ako sa sabi ni Sir Al.  Wag mong sayangin yung versatility ng instrument mo para sa heavy metal/high output pickups.

Yung lumang set-up ni Mustaine, SD JB at Jazz.  Versatile yan, metal, rock, blues, jazz, etc pwede mong banatan sa pups na yan.  Yung isa naming gitara naka-SD '59 at JB, very versatile din, Beatles to Korn, pwede!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
pup question.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 06:28:16 AM »
EMG 81s and Bill Lawrence L-500XL (Dimebag Darrel's choice) pups are my choice for metal. The EMg is active and the Lawrence is passive; both have a very different approach to serving metal through your amp of choice.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
pup question.
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 08:33:01 AM »
According to Bill Lawrence, opening up the original lightning bolt Dean ML revealed that the bridge pickup was an early 80's model L-500L, which has a relatively lower inductance (and output) than the XL variant. It's what I have on my guitar. These original L-500's easily rival the EMG's on both clean and distorted ends.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
pup question.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 11:29:52 AM »
Quote from: Al_Librero
According to Bill Lawrence, opening up the original lightning bolt Dean ML revealed that the bridge pickup was an early 80's model L-500L, which has a relatively lower inductance (and output) than the XL variant. It's what I have on my guitar. These original L-500's easily rival the EMG's on both clean and distorted ends.

you are right. in fact, Dimebag's original Lawrence's were L-500 pups flipped upside down so the poles calibrated to point towards the neck were facing the  bridge of Dime's guitar. Apparently, Dime felt that this accentuated the mids of his tone which lent quite nicely to exploiting his love for harmonics. The L-500XL were made after a lot of people started asking for the lawrence L-500 pups, and started asking if there were a high output version of the L-500s.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
pup question.
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 12:58:33 PM »
hehehe. a high output version of a high output pickup.

that's a bit funny, since the C and R variants are probably louder than most models of other brands. the XL is as far as Bill Lawrence is willing to go without compromising clarity. but then again, it's the only variant that does not go well with 250K pots (the C, R and L does). that says something.

Offline cool2ny

• Veteran Member
pup question.
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 01:08:36 PM »
may local distributer ba ang bill lawrence? gusto ko sana palitan ng L-500 yung stock na humbucker ng x-20 ko.

Offline snidd

• Veteran Member
pup question.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 02:59:02 PM »
salamat sa mga nagreply.. with regard to versatility, hindi ko naman hanap un eh.. since i've dedicated this guitar to metal and only metal. marami akong nakitang EMG pups sa AP kaso walang 81/85 and since ishtoodent pa lang ako.. la pa ko pera para mag-order abroad.. at wala akong kamag-anak na pwede magship dito.. o well.. the search continues.