hulika

Author Topic: Paul Gilbert vs. Eddie Van Halen  (Read 13523 times)

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
Paul Gilbert vs. Eddie Van Halen
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »
I've listened to Paul Gilbert's (PG) albums when he was in Racer X and when he was in Mr. Big.  I've also listened to Eddie Van Halen's (EVH) albums, particularly the David Lee Roth era.  EVH has better tone, but I think PG is better overall.  I'm not talking just about the shredding, but the overall musicality of his playing.  I think he sticks with the fundamentals, and his style is somewhat derived from classical music.  I don't hear notes spilling over, if you know what I mean.  For EVH, I've heard some of his playing get off the tracks, so to speak.  Maybe that's just plain rock and roll and maybe that's just his style.

In any case, my question is:  Who does better music?  PG or EVH?

I choose PG.

Your thoughts?

Offline coolaxer

Re: Paul Gilbert vs. Eddie Van Halen
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:31:04 PM »
it is like comparing FPJ and Ramon Revilla.

they are both good guitarist and great musicians

better music? BOTH.
the only thing that would differentiate them is their style of playing bro.

good afternoon :)
PLAY TO EXPRESS B!#CH NOT TO IMPRESS.

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 01:37:06 PM »
EVH is PG's influence. They are both great. Apples and oranges.

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:55:16 PM »
It is not fair to compare shredders of different generations, but EVH started it all.
'one never fails until he quits trying'

william251082

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 03:20:59 PM »
Hindi puwedeng i-compare pero puwedeng mamili kung ano ang taste mo. Pero ako hindi makapili :-D Mas nadadala ako sa playing ni PG but that's probably because I listened to him a lot more than EVH. :lol:

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:36:13 PM »
EVH is PG's influence. They are both great. Apples and oranges.

Haha. I knew something like this would crop up. But let's just be objective...  :-)

Let's say the year is 2010. History, irrelevant. You hear EVH's Eruption. Then you hear PG's Technical Difficulties.

Something like that. Vote?

PG! Hahahaha.  :-D

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »
EVH all the way! If it wasn't for the Beatles and EVH, PG wouldn't even be here. He mentions that quite often in his interviews.

PG is technical-driven (with taste, of course), while EVH heavily relies on the sound or tune he hears in his head.

If you wanna know why EVH still stands out as the greatest speed-picker of 'em all, read my signature. And that's coming from one of the best guitar players who ever walked the Earth.

Now, as far as songwriting is concerned, EVH is miles away from PG.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »
Hindi puwedeng i-compare pero puwedeng mamili kung ano ang taste mo. Pero ako hindi makapili :-D Mas nadadala ako sa playing ni PG but that's probably because I listened to him a lot more than EVH. :lol:

Does this mean PG gets a +1?  :-P Hahahaha. Peace, bro.

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 03:46:43 PM »
Haha. I knew something like this would crop up. But let's just be objective...  :-)

Let's say the year is 2010. History, irrelevant. You hear EVH's Eruption. Then you hear PG's Technical Difficulties. Something like that. Vote?

PG! Hahahaha.  :-D

It doesn't matter if it's 1978, 1991 or 2010. Up until this day, I still yet to hear a guitar sound like "Eruption". You can easily cop PG's way of playing, you just have to be technically adept in order for you to attain that. But with EVH, you can never cop his tone, his phrasing, his vibrato, the way he attacks the guitar in general.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
I've listened to Paul Gilbert's (PG) albums when he was in Racer X and when he was in Mr. Big.  I've also listened to Eddie Van Halen's (EVH) albums, particularly the David Lee Roth era.  EVH has better tone, but I think PG is better overall.  I'm not talking just about the shredding, but the overall musicality of his playing.  I think he sticks with the fundamentals, and his style is somewhat derived from classical music.  I don't hear notes spilling over, if you know what I mean.  For EVH, I've heard some of his playing get off the tracks, so to speak.  Maybe that's just plain rock and roll and maybe that's just his style.

In any case, my question is:  Who does better music?  PG or EVH?

I choose PG.

Your thoughts?
Haha. I knew something like this would crop up. But let's just be objective...  :-)

Let's say the year is 2010. History, irrelevant. You hear EVH's Eruption. Then you hear PG's Technical Difficulties.

Something like that. Vote?

PG! Hahahaha.  :-D

based on your initial post and thread title, it seems everything IS relevant... quite subjective since it includes the taste and influence of the people you're asking...

i believe your question - who does better music? will still yield subjective insights...

i think questions like - who do you like more? or which released album under these artists do you like more? - would give you more objective results... though, it will still primarily be subjective... lol...

anyway, both are good, if not two of the best in the industry... so i'd say, i choose both because of their major influence with how i perceive music in general...
[

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 03:55:10 PM »
Why is there even such a debate on this?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 03:57:09 PM »
Why is there even such a debate on this?

Not really a debate, bro... More of a poll. Hehe. Your vote?  :-D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 04:26:43 PM »
EVH was my generation but PG is also good. No need for polls on this they both have their own style and one of them looks up to the other. With these kind of polls the fans of each artist would just clash on each other.

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
It doesn't matter if it's 1978, 1991 or 2010. Up until this day, I still yet to hear a guitar sound like "Eruption". You can easily cop PG's way of playing, you just have to be technically adept in order for you to attain that. But with EVH, you can never cop his tone, his phrasing, his vibrato, the way he attacks the guitar in general.

^^ :-)
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 06:26:08 PM »
kaso may VS e. magkalaban?   :evil: sino mananalo?  :evil:

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 06:29:51 PM »
kaso may VS e. magkalaban?   :evil: sino mananalo?  :evil:

pagpinagsabay mo sila sa isang gig, IMHO, wala padin mananalo e, maaring meron si paul gilbert na wala si EVH, pero maaring meron din si EVH na wala si PG. yung panalo lang audience e :lol:
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 06:34:24 PM »
pagpinagsabay mo sila sa isang gig, IMHO, wala padin mananalo e, maaring meron si paul gilbert na wala si EVH, pero maaring meron din si EVH na wala si PG. yung panalo lang audience e :lol:

siguro ang mananalo kung sino pinakamaraming fans. hahaha!  :lol:

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
Sige, EVH's best song vs. PG's best song...

For me, it's gonna be Eruption vs. Technical Difficulties.

My pick:  Technical Difficulties.

Any other best song for EVH?  For PG?

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 06:47:23 PM »
pano ba malalaman kung yun nga yung best song?  :lol: so ang "galing" ng isang gitarista para sa iyo is yung "technical skills or technical difficulties"? mahirap din compare yung 2 yan. At malamang kaya nila ang ginagawa ng bawat isa. Imposibleng hinde. I like them both. I dunno kung sino mas magaling. No competition.  :-D

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »
"Good music" is so subjective. I don't see any point in comparing EVH and PG. They're both awesome musicians who have composed some of the most memorable rock guitar solos in history.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »
Sige, EVH's best song vs. PG's best song...

For me, it's gonna be Eruption vs. Technical Difficulties.

My pick:  Technical Difficulties.

Any other best song for EVH?  For PG?

huwag magsalita ng tapos sir :-) malay mo pagtumanda ka pa ng onti biglang eruption na yun trip mo sa dalawa :-D

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 07:00:44 PM »
pano ba malalaman kung yun nga yung best song?  :lol: so ang "galing" ng isang gitarista para sa iyo is yung "technical skills or technical difficulties"? mahirap din compare yung 2 yan. At malamang kaya nila ang ginagawa ng bawat isa. Imposibleng hinde. I like them both. I dunno kung sino mas magaling. No competition.  :-D

No, it's the musicality, for me. I just find Technical Difficulties better to my ears. I've enjoyed it more times than Eruption. Your choice may be different.  So, are you picking Eruption, or is there another EVH song that you think is best? :-)

Friends, this is all for an intellectually stimulating forum. I'm just thinking out loud. You may disagree with me, and I respect that. But what do you think? What is EVH's best song? Please don't tell me you like them all. Just pick one.  :-)

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
pano nyan dami kong paborito sa 2 yan.  :evil: ano ba criteria?  :lol: tsaka wala akong karapatang humusga kung sino dyan mas magaling. kasi sa topic may "VS" e, so meaning sa bandang huli may mananalo sa voting (kung meron man). So paramihan nga ng fans to.  8-) Papangitan na lang ng muka matatapos agad tong VS thing na to.  :lol:

Offline blueberry

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 07:19:59 PM »
ang init ng usapan. hehehehe

anyways, IMO, I coose PG, first,  he's one reason I'm still playing the guitar right now. second he's more versatile than EVH, iisa lang ksai dating ng solo ni EVH sakin eh, PG can play blues, jazz and classical.

pahabol lang. EVH rocked my world with the " Beat it " solo. para my pakunswelo. hehehehe

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
Back in the late 70's to the mid 90's EVH's style was technical in a way that it was hard to copy. Well even until now the famed "brown sound" is difficult to emulate.

Even from the early works of PG, there was a big difference in maturity of sound. Are you talking about PG from his work with Mr. Big or are you talking about his work from way back his RacerX days? Musically PG was a teacher and contributor for for a guitar magazine, ha had instructional videos where EVH never had. But this does not mean EVH would be less technical.