hulika

Author Topic: Paul Gilbert vs. Eddie Van Halen  (Read 13526 times)

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Paul Gilbert vs. Eddie Van Halen
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »
bias tong topic na'to kampi TS kay PG
even though i like PG better than EVH, kasi mas mabait, mas humble at mas technical sya IMO

the world can live without PG but w/o EVH, the 80's would have a very big HOLE sa music industry. your mom might still be a hippie J/K  :-D so be grateful evh saved them from too much hippie-groupie-thingy.... J/K
it's not just technicality but syempre the quality rin ng music at stage presence. panalo si evh dyan. if you weren't playing guitar you won't even notice PG at all. pero si eddie was the man in the 80's.
+100 kay EVH thread closed---- paki lock na :)

One thing music can never take away from EVH is the respect of faster guitarists of this generation.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
Here's one of my favorite Van Halen tracks, "Aftershock":

The outro solo was wicked. It really matched the song's intensity.

My favorite Paul Gilbert piece is "The Echo Song" but I won't post a link to it anymore because it was already posted here some time ago.
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »
uy fun! discussions like these are the reason i still go here.  :lol:

ganto na lang, in order for history to really be irrelevant, don't say its 2010. imagine its just 1978. lets say contest talaga and I'm an absolute rock bonehead (which I actually am).

EVH: Eruption. PG: wala pa. so kanino mo na lang ma-co-compare. lessee, back in '78 the only other guitar monsters were Page (who was too busy being high), Clapton (who was too busy being mellow), Beck (Wired was 2 years old na but had Goodbye Pork Pie Hat), Randy Rhoads (the only legit EVH "competition" methinks, but was still toiling away with Quiet Riot and would not come out with EVH competition worthy material til 3 years later with Ozzy), Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker (who were both with the Scorpions, dock points against them for that :lol:, but The Scorpions were cool then so give back those points).

so from a historically "fair" perspective, EVH [Eruption]: plus 1, PG [Technical Difficulties]: negative 21 (years)

convert natin to math:
(EVH) + (21 years of EVH influence) = PG
ergo (2010 perspective): PG > EVH

however, take EVH out of the equation:
PG = ? (would probably not even be playing guitar)

so, my vote goes to Terry Bozzio.

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »
update nyo ako... sino na lamang sa VS thing na 'to?  :-D

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2010, 09:35:44 PM »
hehe this isnt much or a real VS thing, the TS just wants our opinion, kung sino ang tingin natin na mas musical..

because we can never measure kung sino talaga..

para lang me mapagusapan tayo..
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline masterchoxter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
uy fun! discussions like these are the reason i still go here.  :lol:

ganto na lang, in order for history to really be irrelevant, don't say its 2010. imagine its just 1978. lets say contest talaga and I'm an absolute rock bonehead (which I actually am).

EVH: Eruption. PG: wala pa. so kanino mo na lang ma-co-compare. lessee, back in '78 the only other guitar monsters were Page (who was too busy being high), Clapton (who was too busy being mellow), Beck (Wired was 2 years old na but had Goodbye Pork Pie Hat), Randy Rhoads (the only legit EVH "competition" methinks, but was still toiling away with Quiet Riot and would not come out with EVH competition worthy material til 3 years later with Ozzy), Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker (who were both with the Scorpions, dock points against them for that :lol:, but The Scorpions were cool then so give back those points).

so from a historically "fair" perspective, EVH [Eruption]: plus 1, PG [Technical Difficulties]: negative 21 (years)

convert natin to math:
(EVH) + (21 years of EVH influence) = PG
ergo (2010 perspective): PG > EVH

however, take EVH out of the equation:
PG = ? (would probably not even be playing guitar)

so, my vote goes to Terry Bozzio.

I like your equations. Very nice result. I'll have to change my answer and go for yours as well.  :-D
[

Offline fingertapper1

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2010, 10:48:43 PM »
Why??? Can you really compare them? Eddie is one of PG's "MAIN" influence. Just listen to his Cheesy party rock songs from Mr. Big and solo work and maybe some RacerX stuff.

If you think about the time back then... late 70's? EVH was doing stuff no one even imagined to do on a guitar. Heck, Van Halen might've just popularize/set the frame work for the whole 80's Hair Metal scene. It's hard to compare them honestly. It all comes down to each person's taste. Like who's better? UFO or Deep Purple? Led Zeppelin or Deep Purple? To quantitatively compare them would be a logistical nightmare. There's too much [gooey brown stuff] involved. As a result no one could justify anyone over the other. If you say PG or EVH is better, it's just your opinion and preference.

Ako I like them both. I do like Mr. Big slightly more than Van Halen. It all boils down to who you like.  :-D

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2010, 12:18:56 AM »
Papogihan at pamachohan ng biceps na lang nga daw e, hindi na musicality :lol: :lol:

This thread should be moved to the Kalusugan, Papogihan at Pagandahan forum :lol:
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2010, 07:08:38 AM »
Papogihan at pamachohan ng biceps na lang nga daw e, hindi na musicality :lol: :lol:

This thread should be moved to the Kalusugan, Papogihan at Pagandahan forum :lol:

:D :D :D

Offline geda

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
biceps ba? edi kay J. Petrucci nako... walang tatalo dun  :-D

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
biceps ba? edi kay J. Petrucci nako... walang tatalo dun  :-D

Chris Broderick.. The bicep of metal.  :lol:

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
Dapat Paul Gilbert vs. Steve Vai vs. Joe Satriani:-D
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline jeffyonzon_025

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2010, 05:51:02 PM »
hhmmmmm..... if I ask my uncle It's EVH, But if I ask his son It's PG-- But if they ask me.. Its BOTH
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:52:13 PM by jeffyonzon_025 »
Array

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2010, 08:44:00 PM »
Here's a not so famous EVH song but showcasing his virtuosity --------> 'Girl Gone Bad' (1984 album)....Listen how EVH locks in with the drum rolls with those blinding fast lead breaks (at 0:39-0:44 and 3:33-3:38) or whatever you call it...
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
Chuck Norris wins

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2010, 02:24:32 AM »

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2010, 01:11:08 PM »
Yeah, after reading all your posts, it is so subjective.  You can not compare two different styles.  TS should not be biased and I agree it is like comparing apples with orange.  Well, I am an EVH fan since 1978 and I cannot tell who is better between EVH and PG because I haven't heard any music of PG.

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
You can start with this:

:-D

william251082

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2010, 02:35:26 PM »
Yeah, after reading all your posts, it is so subjective.  You can not compare two different styles.  TS should not be biased and I agree it is like comparing apples with orange.  Well, I am an EVH fan since 1978 and I cannot tell who is better between EVH and PG because I haven't heard any music of PG.

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o

william251082

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2010, 02:37:10 PM »
You can start with this:

Chong goosebumps lagi pag naririnig ko yang mga mr. big stuff! :roll:
feature=related
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:39:17 PM by william251082 »

Offline Gerrit

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »
You can start with this:

Well, IMHO, this thread should be GILBERT VS. MALSTEEM, Peace men!

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
feature=related

Hehe. Ang galing rin nito! :-D

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2010, 05:28:12 PM »
feature=related

Hehe. Medyo "arousing" itong music video na ito. :-P Hahahahaha.

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
hmmm since this is highly subjective, let's try and narrow it down a bit. Technical ability na lang pag usapan natin.

Walang wala na si Eddie sa Technical Ability ng Generation ni PG!

I bet Paul Gilbert can cover Van Halen Song easily
Eddie wouldn't be able to cover "technical difficulties" kahit mas mabagal pa version nya as PG developed chops of his own after weaning on EVH's influence for years.

In fact with that being said, you can go ahead and replace Paul Gilbert's name in that statement with Richie Kotzen or any other "shrapnel guitar hero" and also replace  "Technical Difficulties" with any  of RK's or whoever's that Eddie wouldn't be able to cover and it would still hold true.

While i totally agree that Eddie won't be able to measure up technically to all these Great Guitar players who emerged in the 80's and 90's, these guys we're merely following in his path. The fact that your still comparing PG to Eddie is a huge compliment to EVH.

To further illustrate why, let's do a comparison. We are currently comparing PG to his main influence which is EVH. Parang ok lang yung comparison diba?

Let's try comparing EVH to his main influence: Eric Clapton.

I bet magkakaron ng violent reactions like " ang layo naman ng style nila!" and " sobra naman iba ang Genre!" and all other statements that reveal the radical inappropriateness of the comparison. :mrgreen:

But that's what Eddie did, he weaned on clapton, and made his own genre.

Walang wala na si Eddie sa Technical Ability ng Generation ni PG. And oddly enough, it's all because of how influential Eddie was.

Chuck Norris ba kamo? EVH is the Bruce Lee of Electric Guitar
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 06:07:32 PM by Taoistguitarist »

Offline top.gun.01

• Netizen Level
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2010, 07:05:37 PM »
hmmm since this is highly subjective, let's try and narrow it down a bit. Technical ability na lang pag usapan natin.

Walang wala na si Eddie sa Technical Ability ng Generation ni PG!

I bet Paul Gilbert can cover Van Halen Song easily
Eddie wouldn't be able to cover "technical difficulties" kahit mas mabagal pa version nya as PG developed chops of his own after weaning on EVH's influence for years.

In fact with that being said, you can go ahead and replace Paul Gilbert's name in that statement with Richie Kotzen or any other "shrapnel guitar hero" and also replace  "Technical Difficulties" with any  of RK's or whoever's that Eddie wouldn't be able to cover and it would still hold true.

While i totally agree that Eddie won't be able to measure up technically to all these Great Guitar players who emerged in the 80's and 90's, these guys we're merely following in his path. The fact that your still comparing PG to Eddie is a huge compliment to EVH.

To further illustrate why, let's do a comparison. We are currently comparing PG to his main influence which is EVH. Parang ok lang yung comparison diba?

Let's try comparing EVH to his main influence: Eric Clapton.

I bet magkakaron ng violent reactions like " ang layo naman ng style nila!" and " sobra naman iba ang Genre!" and all other statements that reveal the radical inappropriateness of the comparison. :mrgreen:

But that's what Eddie did, he weaned on clapton, and made his own genre.

Walang wala na si Eddie sa Technical Ability ng Generation ni PG. And oddly enough, it's all because of how influential Eddie was.

Chuck Norris ba kamo? EVH is the Bruce Lee of Electric Guitar

If EVH is the Bruce Lee of Electric Guitar, who would be Hendrix? :-P Yeah, I know, another deviation, sorry. I just couldn't resist replying to this.