hulika

Author Topic: Local Jazz Teacher  (Read 10383 times)

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 02:09:38 PM »
Blues to Death wrote?
almost everybody have taken lessons in their early years of playin.just so you would know your basics and have a good foundation.

but i think what blues deacon meant was...now that you know the basics, it's time to break out on your own.that means performing, jamming out in the open.

also watching the pros do their thing onstage,which im sure you have done.but why not jam with them onstage? grab a beer or two, then when you have your courage...go ahead and dive in the jam.

i think that would be a great avenue for your 'further studies'. playing actual music in front of people teaches you more in one hour, than 10 hrs in a classroom/controlled environment.

and if youve been active in the music scene, then i would think youre on your way.

oh...also you can google " jazz piano free online lessons"

im sure there are bro.just gotta use the internet wisely

PinoyMusika wrote:
I don't think it's the same as a blues jam where "feel" will get you through the piece. A "jazz jam" means you need to get your chops together first and that calls for some woodshedding before unleashing yourself to an unsuspecting public  

Might I suggest those instrumental minus ones where you can practice playing the "head" and the improvisational section on your own? They used to advertise these in downbeat - if not there are ways you can do this on a computer, i.e. "Band In A Box" software or play a MIDI file through a sequencer and mute the lead instrument or melody and stretch out the jam section about 48 bars, hehe

Last edited by pinoymusika on 08-16-2006 12:49 PM; edited 1 time in total
Thanx "Blues To Death, PinoyMusika" for UNSELFISHLY sharing your wisdom. Really Appreciate it. Hope there will be many else like you out of the 60,000 members of PHILMUSIC.com who can come out & generously share their "2 CENTS WORTH" so to speak to struggling musicians like me who's hunger & thirst for learning, improving their craft but couldn't afford it (HE-HE) :P  CAPISCE
Things that will destroy men: POLITICS w/o PRINCIPLE, PLEASURE w/o CONSCIENCE, WEALTH w/o WORK, KNOWLEDGE w/o CHARACTER, BUSINESS w/o MORALITY, SCIENCE w/o HUMANITY ; WORSHIP w/o SACRIFICE - Gandhi

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 02:19:13 PM »
60,000?
More like 11,160...  :roll:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 04:52:28 PM »
Quote from: J_Clef
Maybe you've had a bad day. Maybe you've had your share of bad teachers in the past. But perhaps you could leave your angst at your doorstep and show a little more civility and manners in a public forum such as this
..No didn't exactly hav a bad day, but your right about somethin, it's true i'v had my share of bad as well as GREAT Teachers, won't mention anymor the Bad for the sake of 'civility & manners' so to speak, one of them (Great Teachers) in all modesty & humility is no less than the father of Philippine Jazz himself, the late GREAT FRED ROBLES. But that doesn't also mean i'm old as your father or grandfather, cuz i was able to get lessons a good few years before his death. I wasn't able to complete my course though due to his failing health."SAYANG!"   My apologies for my language. Didn't mean to be uncivilized nor misbehave ill-manneredly by my VERBAL outburst. I was merely reacting from what i perceive was an insult to my person, sorry Delta Slim, cuz i'm serious in my quest in finding a worthy local jazz teacher, not just for myself, but for my kids as well,
CAPISCE?

J_Clef  -  You mean do I understand? Yes I do!  If you meant to say, peace, oh yes, peace to you too!  In any case, my original post was not meant to insult, just a friendly albeit obnoxious advise.

I'm gonna agree with the suggestions to augment your already impressive formal learnin' with stuff online but also supplement it by interacting/jamming with fellow musicians.  I think you mentioned application, well playing live is all about application. It's also a test of how much you've really learned and are ready to put to use. Kumbaga sa school, kailan mag-test para malaman mo ano pa gaps mo sa knowledge or chops.

I'm not a jazz musician but I learn a lot from hearing and seeing what other people are doing.  None of the music books I've read have given me learning as rich as that I get from fellow musicians.

Offline zuperk

• Forum Fanatic
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 08:03:56 PM »
sa ust may kaoopen lang na course bm jazz studies
..............Z.U.P.E.R.K..............

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2006, 10:29:39 AM »
60,000?
More like 11,160...  
I Stand Corrected  :oops:

my original post was not meant to insult, just a friendly albeit obnoxious advise.

I think you mentioned application, well playing live is all about application. It's also a test of how much you've really learned and are ready to put to use. Kumbaga sa school, kailan mag-test para malaman mo ano pa gaps mo sa knowledge or chops.

I'm not a jazz musician but I learn a lot from hearing and seeing what other people are doing. None of the music books I've read have given me learning as rich as that I get from fellow musicians

[b) Delta Slim, realized & regret in retrospect my overreaction,  my apologies, really appreciate your advise & for puttin in your "2 cents worth" however  (to borrow from your cliche) 'albeit obnoxiously friendly' it sounds, HA-HA-HA :P  [/b][/i][/b]
Things that will destroy men: POLITICS w/o PRINCIPLE, PLEASURE w/o CONSCIENCE, WEALTH w/o WORK, KNOWLEDGE w/o CHARACTER, BUSINESS w/o MORALITY, SCIENCE w/o HUMANITY ; WORSHIP w/o SACRIFICE - Gandhi

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 10:50:26 AM »
no biggie, dude.  dami naman talaga palagi willing to help dito.  but the people who get the most help here (and elsewhere, i guess) are people who are seen to help themselves (ie, may sariling effort).  otherwise, minsan may mga smart-ass remarks like mine ka na maririnig.  but now that we understand better yung needs mo, i think mas focused and relevant na yung suggestions na binigay sa yo ng mga maestro dito.

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 06:29:53 PM »
My buddy told me he's planning to get Koyang as his teacher.  This Buddy jams with Koyang at 70s.  Maybe Koyang's sched is not that busy.

If you're interested, 'll ask permission if I can get his numba.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2006, 07:19:30 PM »
Quote from: toybitz
My buddy told me he's planning to get Koyang as his teacher.  This Buddy jams with Koyang at 70s.  Maybe Koyang's sched is not that busy.

Well he was asking about a jazz PIANO teacher... then again maybe Edgar "Koyang" Avenir knows his way pretty good around a keyboard as well...

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2006, 08:12:59 AM »
TonyBitz wrote & i quote:
My buddy told me he's planning to get Koyang as his teacher. This Buddy jams with Koyang at 70s. Maybe Koyang's sched is not that busy.

Thanks TonyBitz, no sarcasm intended, but in case you haven't noticed yet, thread of this query re a 'selfless' jazz guru had already reached a second page,  :) , isn't the length of this thread sufficient enough to suggest 'interest'  to you? YES, any help from you or anybody will be most welcome  :D   Btw, a a jazz guru friend of yours you suggested earlier, what's his name? Dolf,  ignored all communications i made earlier, fyi

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2006, 09:10:34 PM »
o(^_-)O
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2006, 09:31:22 PM »

i hereby dub thee, Tony! :mrgreen:

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2006, 02:13:09 AM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala

i hereby dub thee, Tony! :mrgreen:

:lol:  :lol:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline FullofEbak

Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2006, 01:35:15 AM »
hey guys. i read aya yusons cellnumber somewhree here in the forums that he's teaching jazz guitar. im really thinking about getting lessons because i don't know. im having a hard time applying all these jazz theory tutorials on the internet. there's so many and i don't know where to start, on what to focus, on what to do. i need some direction and i feel like a caveman crawling in the dark. im just afraid that my knowledge in theory is a bit too bad to get jazz lessons. i'm afraid a teacher may tell me 'come back in 10 years 'coz you suck. or may just shake his head and laugh'. but then again, i think that i really have been reading a lot and have learned a lot, and my listening has improved. i just don't know what are the prerequisites or requirements to get jazz lessons, if i still suck, or if i'm good enough. what specific elements to master before calling a teacher?

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2006, 01:50:30 AM »
You seem to be bashing yourself too much.

There's no such thing as 'being prepared' prior to getting lessons.

I mean, that's the whole point, right? That's the main reason why you're getting a teacher.

Why does everybody here seem to be too scared about 'having a teacher?'

They're merely 'guides' to help point out the way. They're not like the army drill sergeant who's out there to punish you or torture you.

Lighten up, bro..

As the Zen saying goes, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear .."
"No static at all ..."

Offline FullofEbak

Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2006, 04:03:28 AM »
hey thanks deacon... well ur right. i think its really pride i guess. being afraid to be ignorant. wanting to impress a teacher. wanting to be good on ur own first, before seeking help (then what for r u seeking help then), like saying, ''im getting help but pls. let me be clear: i dont really need it anyway''. hahaha. damn. insanity. i guess i have the same issue in all aspects of life thus preventing me from getting anywhere in one particular thing or in life in general (and im sure im not alone here) hahha. so i guess if theres one thing that id be ready to humble down for, its probably jazz music. theres just too much to learn! and too little time. life is too short! im afraid if i just continue teaching myself alone i'll end up like kenny g.

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2006, 04:41:55 AM »
ok G Clef,

try this... its not Dolf...

I apologize I didn't notice you were looking for a PIANO teacher...thanks Jim.

Tonybitz

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2006, 11:07:40 PM »
Tonybitz

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2006, 08:20:18 AM »
ok G Clef,

try this... its not Dolf...

I apologize I didn't notice you were looking for a PIANO teacher...thanks Jim.

Tonybitz
 :?
Hmmmm.... quite honestly, i've given up the search already, hadn't touched my keys for about a week now, can u dig that zucka,  HA-HA!!!  (just kidding) But kidding aside i'll give this one a shot, hope he won't snub my communique, GRAZIE ToniBits!!!:D  :D  :D

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2006, 03:11:06 PM »
nice avatar. showing political sentiments?
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2006, 03:16:59 PM »
Toni Bits! Is that you in your avatar? hehehe

Offline J_Clef

• Netizen Level
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2006, 10:04:30 PM »
Quote from: Boddhisattva
nice avatar. showing political sentiments?

HA-HA-HA!  :lol: pinalitan ko na nga eh, mahirap na, baka ma"surveillance camera" tayo ng di oras via sattelite, lam mo naman kung gano kaPARANOID c Dubya, HE-HE

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2006, 01:08:26 AM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Toni Bits! Is that you in your avatar? hehehe

Gud am Jim,

It's Jennifer Connely.  8)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2006, 01:14:08 AM »

Amazing, a photo where she's actually smiling...

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2006, 01:24:13 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika

Amazing, a photo where she's actually smiling...

Most of the time it's me who's actually smiling.. seeing those assets
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline jazhombie

Local Jazz Teacher
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2006, 11:41:17 PM »
any one knows # ni bossing aya yuson? intrested me pa teach, i always watch him before sa freedom bar, tnx :D