hulika

Author Topic: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys  (Read 56707 times)

Offline 7stringmachine

Re: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2011, 10:33:42 PM »
eh papaano naman kung dumating sa puntong" umayaw na yung PANA sa INDIAN" :lol:

HAHA =)) babalik sa machete at magpapagawa ng bagong magandang pana? :))
Dang! someone just got schooled:)

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2011, 10:36:44 PM »
HAHA =)) babalik sa machete at magpapagawa ng bagong magandang pana? :))

LANGYAAAAAAAAAAAAA PURO KAYO PANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EH KUNG PANAIIN KO KAYO LAHAT!!!!!!

Offline obetski

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2011, 10:52:25 PM »

great players get more gigs and earn more money, they will have more dough to buy better gear and make them sound even better, not really play better, cos great players are great even with mediocre equipment.. ganun lang yun

btw, I didnt even find the tone on the video great,, it's NOT great, it was surprisingly ok, we dont expect that wood to sound like that, the sustain suck and the sound thin out in a split second, notice the player wiggle the strings so hard just to prolong the sound

my song that' being aired in Sydney

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2011, 11:35:26 PM »
great players get more gigs and earn more money, they will have more dough to buy better gear and make them sound even better, not really play better, cos great players are great even with mediocre equipment.. ganun lang yun

btw, I didnt even find the tone on the video great,, it's NOT great, it was surprisingly ok, we dont expect that wood to sound like that, the sustain suck and the sound thin out in a split second, notice the player wiggle the strings so hard just to prolong the sound

agree, but it is OKAY. so if you have a plywood guitar, its better than the guitar on the vid. much better if you have a non ply guitar. so be happy. you can still have good tone, and make great music.

good music is a combination of good tone, good composition, and a good instrumentalist and vocalist. (imo)
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
heheh ang dami ninyong nararamdaman  :lol: :lol: tumugtug nalang ng tumugtug ..tapos ang kwentuhan :lol:

PERIOD.

Offline the count

« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 04:43:07 PM »
A big NO NO!

its the" HIYAW THAT'S COUNTS :lol:

Dude I feel you'll get even more "constipated" when you have your gear refretted by someone who claim to do it in "2" hours... gusto mo bang mag bend sa fret "mala lata ng sardinas na binuksan ng kutsilyo" hehehe... na try konang mag pa refret sa sablay... at sablay talaga.

buti nalang dinalako muna sa isa pang "Ok" na luthier...

then finally binalik ko sa "original master" buti hindi nakahalata.... and yun bumalik ang "mojo" hehe

peace

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »

Dude I feel you'll get even more "constipated" when you have your gear refretted by someone who claim to do it in "2" hours... gusto mo bang mag bend sa fret "mala lata ng sardinas na binuksan ng kutsilyo" hehehe... na try konang mag pa refret sa sablay... at sablay talaga.

then finally binalik ko sa "original master" buti hindi nakahalata.... and yun bumalik ang "mojo" hehe

peace

Ganun ba? share naman diyan kung sino yang luthier nayan na nag re-pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppprefret na parang lata ng sardinas  :lol: hindi kaba inipis pagkatapos mong gamitin yung guitar mo? nyahahahah :lol:

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »

peace

hey bro, can you PM me this luthier you are talking about?  thanks!
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2011, 09:01:46 PM »

pass the message!

Offline guitargodskitz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »
nice find, similar idea with Yarden's guitar (former guitarist of KNK) di maarte pero pwede i like the tone (go easy on me tone freaks) and its a great guitar to easily get noticed too hehehe
HalmistaVocalist Ako

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2011, 10:27:54 PM »

+1.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2011, 10:28:51 PM »

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2011, 10:43:51 AM »
hehehe. nakaamoy kayo ng tsismis ha...
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2011, 11:02:27 AM »
hehehe. nakaamoy kayo ng tsismis ha...

haha!  di naman.  just want to get as much feedback as i can about them luthiers so that i won't commit the same mistake.  i'm eyeing to have some jobs done to both my electric and acoustic and i'm planning to bring them to just one person.  :-)

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2011, 05:01:36 PM »
eh papaano naman kung dumating sa puntong" umayaw na yung PANA sa INDIAN" :lol:

WAHAHAHAHAHA benta :lol:
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »
iMHO, if you can afford it, it's best to buy gear "above" your talent, in fact, the best that you can afford. Otherwise, you are short changing yourself. Better gear can inspire you to persevere and motivate you by making it easy to play and sounding good. 

Again, that's only if a person has a choice. If he can't afford it, that's a different matter.  But even the old bluesmen bought the best guitars the moment they got enough cash.

True. For me, it's about doing what you can to improve--which includes better setup and gear. In my case, since I don't have the luxury of acquiring expensive gear (yet), I tweak and experiment on setups that best suits my playing style.
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
bat hindi pa ibunyag?

kung hindi maganda ang gawa niya mabuting malaman ng iba, para hindi na masayangan ng pera.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline jamesplaysguitar

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »

Like Dave Weiner said ( guitarist of steve vai ) Tone is in the head not in the equipment even guitar. He shared a thought that one time in a practice or demo by steve vai. Steve uses a squier (china made i think) and a small pignose amp and with a cheap setup he still sounded like steve vai. Amazing? I dont think so. Steve vai is focused only in one tone in his head. So if you give him any kind of equipment or setup. he can still sound like himself without any problems. Its a good thought actually and makes real good sense.

Kaya isip isip.. hehe  :-D 
References:Monsceb,mondemonle,jgaluno,omegared15,r_chino18,bhaahchico,drew asuncion,obetski,ger02,balakubak,pitongjerome,riccaliolio,kurtcobainer,benjiemusic,dreadhead,bananagrahamskyflakes,lespaul888,redjaztin,tsunamic,caraboyman,Shkc,Vanhatred and more

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:22 PM »
It's a school of thought that, while many people would not be wrong if they subscribed to it, is no more valid than the other(s). After all, if that were the absolute truth, why does Steve Vai cling to a core set of guitars and amps, no? These schools of thought regarding tone sadly tend to be misguided to certain degrees, thanks in part to quotes from big name artists.

Let's not kid ourselves. It's not just about sounding decent. It's also about feeling good physically, mentally, emotionally, and dare I say, spiritually with what you got within reach. And that is where high quality gear really helps. I seriously doubt that makeshift guitar body in the video will cut it for anybody (the dude in the video included) once the novelty of the concept fades.

To put what I just wrote into context. Yes, great tone isn't always expensive. But while I have to give props to the dude in the video for the effort, the tone in the video was anything but. All of us know that something is wrong when people say that a sound buried in distortion from a cheap Line 6 amp is actually an improvement.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2011, 03:13:59 AM »
Let's not kid ourselves. It's not just about sounding decent. It's also about feeling good physically, mentally, emotionally, and dare I say, spiritually with what you got within reach.

i like!

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »

kung hindi maganda ang gawa niya mabuting malaman ng iba, para hindi na masayangan ng pera.

Tama. Mahirap na pag may mangyari sa guitars natin.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
dun ako sa sounds good, looks good  :-D yum!

Offline constipation

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2011, 12:52:21 PM »
Tama na ito!!!! pagusapan nalang natin P.U.A :-D :lol:

Offline the count

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
Okay peeps alam ko makakasakit ng onti tong message ko but I'm doing this to warn and at the same time to effect some changes.

I. I got my strat from GH for the ff works: thin skin nitro paint, and some fret dress... unfortunately may "minimal buzz" which I think i cannot tolerate. So I called GH and they suggested to bring it back for a warranty (of course free of charge)... now since alam ko na medyo matagal sa GH i tried to call Elegee and the man suggested a "fret dress and set up" so okay I went there... sabi ko gaano katagal sabi: hours lang daw :) so sabi ko go...

II. so yun pinagawa ko na guitar ko... then since afternoon na yun kinabukasan kona na claim... and the result: Oh damn magaspang na fret na mala lata ng sardinas na binuksan ng kutsilyo... mixed emotions ako nun and I dunno if I will say thanks or what? as I have to evaluate it sa house nalng after testing it... ang sobrang sablay talaga dahil "nawala yung magic" and parang kinaskas ng paper deliha (sand paper) yung frets... nawala yung chime and yung kintab...

III. so nahiya ako dalhin sa GH dahil sobrang mahahalata... so I called JUN CASTRO... all I can say is that Jun is really a sincere man with an oozing spirituality and an energetic persona... so I have it fret dressed again - the result was OK - makintab yung frets, makinis, and 70% of the "mojo" got back... kaso I noticed na hindi ata for "jumbo fret" yung crowning tool na ginamit nia (I could be wrong)... but it was ok....

IV. then I decided to call GH and meet the original master... sabi nia sa Phone: kuha ka ng papel and ilista mo lahat yung gusto mong mangyari : so eto sabi ko - :ultra low action without the buzz, and improvement on the fret...

V. so then while at GH... Arie explained a lot of things focusing on the variables of guitar like the "unknown stability of woods esp the neck which only time can predict" the uniqueness of guitar that each guitar has its own tone... and all the "possibilities that can be done sa guitar".... *which is limitless (if you like its tone then push through the mods)

VI. so then he suggested "compounding of radius" and straightening of the neck to allow very low action - he even warn me that at very low action some of the tones might be lost. sabi ko "sir okay lang basta enjoy ako sa pag play"

VII. so yun I got my gear "and ang masabi ko" malayo palang kita mona na "kumikinang yung frets"... then I did the final tweaking like "intonation and final set-up" (I think all should learn the very basic level regarding this)

PS:
BTW the contents of this post was the most Important regarding all of what happened - there are insignificant stuffs in between that I deliberately remove.