hulika

Author Topic: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys  (Read 57323 times)

Offline hmn8

Re: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »
Just my opinion too: The "magic", spirituality or whatever you want to call it comes from the player not the gear, never was and never will be. Those people who REALLY know and have the experience/ skills to back it up not just some hack who think they know knows this is for a fact. Having better than average gear makes life easier, that's a fact but If a person gathers his inspiration from gear itself then he is just fooling himself because there is always something better. GAS is nothing but a false assumption that this or that gear will elevate your playing, maybe ignite a spark of inspiration.

(Talaga? Bakit ka pa nag gitara? Dapat pala nag drums ka na lang.  MAGICAL gear goes beyond making life easier... it becomes a part of the person.  Unfortunately, in my opinion, I don't think you have played or heard MAGICAL gear.)

< If you really understood what I stated then you know the answer to your question but apparently, you did not and I'm not surprised. It's good you have an opinion while you're still a beginner because aside from the opinion, there's nothing else going on.>

That may happen but like all things generated by material things, it is only temporary so you lust over the next latest and greatest thinking the same thing. On another note: the stores you mentioned in the Phil are businesses who cater to a market with a price bracket. They don't want to carry top end equipment since they know mabubulok lang yon as display. Besides, if you ask those people who work there I'm sure they'd tell you that they've heard people with gear more expensive than their salaries combined but after they play for less than 5 mins, they have fatigue in their ears.

(In my opinion, I do NOT think that the 'people who work there' know what good sounding equipment is or else they would just have quit from having to demo all the lousy sounding gear in those stores.  I really don't know of people with expensive gear who bring those to stores because most of the sales people in the stores don't know jack about equipment other than those being sold by the store... And for them, they are so biased that they start to think its the best sounding gear just because they (OWN IT) are selling it.)

< FIXED. Oh such irony.. >

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2011, 02:03:34 AM »
Sige naway dito rin naman babagsak ito ilalatag kona ang very good example..

SEASICK STEVE..

The TONE IS IN THE HEART wala sa kahit ano pang instrumento, kung wala sa puso natin ang pagtugtug nito wala rin lahat balewala din kahit ano pang insrumento... hehehe opinyun ko lang naman ito  :-)

Ganun lang kasimple yun. :-)

I'm with you. My favorite blues players have the s#)tt)@$t guitars ever but made the most influential music of the 20th century.

Elmore James with the cheapest Kay acoustic with a so-so pickup jammed in the soundhole.

Robert Johnson with a low end Kalamazoo flat top acoustic.

Leadbelly with a 12 string plywood topped Stella.

Hound Dog Taylor with those stinky Japanese guitars on a broken tube amp.

Blind Blake again with a Stella.

Even some of the greatest music ever recorded sounded so-so. Ever heard of Motown?

The guitar on that video has an ok tone. But if that played clean, it cannot make a good sound. Nonetheless, the guys has impressive chops and it comes across clearly to me.

Good tone is subjective and need not be expensive.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline free2rock

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2011, 03:18:07 AM »
Frank Zappa recorded his guitar tracks using a small Pignose amp.
LIKE us on FB!
RURU GUITAR STRAPS http://www.facebook.com/RuruGuitarStraps  GILEAD CUSTOM GUITARS http://www.facebook.com/GileadCustomGuitars

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2011, 06:28:28 AM »
With its history and the music it produced, I'll have to agree at some level. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts :-)

wasn't that the guitar he gave to gary moore before he turned into a recluse?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2011, 08:24:18 AM »
Frank Zappa recorded his guitar tracks using a small Pignose amp.

Yeah but there are more musicians who are as great as him who recorded on a SLO 100.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »
I'm with you. My favorite blues players have the s#)tt)@$t guitars ever but made the most influential music of the 20th century.

Elmore James with the cheapest Kay acoustic with a so-so pickup jammed in the soundhole.

Even some of the greatest music ever recorded sounded so-so. Ever heard of Motown?

The guitar on that video has an ok tone. But if that played clean, it cannot make a good sound. Nonetheless, the guys has impressive chops and it comes across clearly to me.

I am willing to bet how they wished that they had boutique gear to better express TONE IS IN THE HEART.  Kung ganoon ka ka-bilib sa kanila, gamitin mo ngayon ang [gooey brown stuff] na gamit nila...  Walk the talk.

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2011, 10:42:35 AM »
I am willing to bet how they wished that they had boutique gear to better express TONE IS IN THE HEART.  Kung ganoon ka ka-bilib sa kanila, gamitin mo ngayon ang [gooey brown stuff] na gamit nila...  Walk the talk.

OH BOY HERE WE GO

inb4 angry responses, thread lock, etc.

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:06 AM »
I am willing to bet how they wished that they had boutique gear to better express TONE IS IN THE HEART.  Kung ganoon ka ka-bilib sa kanila, gamitin mo ngayon ang [gooey brown stuff] na gamit nila...  Walk the talk.

GUITAR OFF NA WOOOOOOOOOOO. SET NA YAN!!! mainit na eh. . pero tone and skill dapat.mahirap ang puro satsat!

SAGOT KO ISANG CASE NG BEER AT BABAE hahahaha. settle natin to sa lalake na paraan. bawal [pichapie].

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:03:49 AM by 7stringmachine »
Dang! someone just got schooled:)

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »
these two posts above are the ones that can ruin a potentially informative thread.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
Ang mga nangungutya, wala talagang nararating. Sa huli, sila din ang pinagtatawanan. :-D :evil: :wink:
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2011, 11:02:12 AM »
Ang mga nangungutya, wala talagang nararating. Sa huli, sila din ang pinagtatawanan. :-D :evil: :wink:

+1

ok na sana yung discussion eh. ok na eh. healthy debate form na eh. eh may ganito

walk the talk daw.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:07:56 AM by 7stringmachine »

Offline Marga88

• Netizen Level
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2011, 11:12:52 AM »
The end is near.  :-)
D-A-G-A pa lang alam ko...

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2011, 11:14:52 AM »
Jeezus, don't you have anything other than a sledgehammer in your toolbox?  :? :lol:

I've been recently listening to Son House and Robert Johnson. I know what you mean. But don't you think they would have gotten out of their way to use better instruments for recording if they could afford them?

I took my girlfriend out to lunch yesterday, and there was this guitar quartet serenading customers. They played cheap, beat-up instruments that were definitely poorly tuned. But they did their thing pretty well despite that. On the other hand, I am really sure they wouldn't mind using nicer guitars.

What I am really tired of seeing, hearing and reading is how some people use these examples as excuses and be even more defensive about their gear because they're poor or whatnot. Eto yung mga tao na pag nakakita ng member na nag-post ng matinding amp, e ang banat agad e... wow ang yaman mo sir. O kaya pag humingi ng suggestions about a pedal or something... you suggest something really good, tapos sasagutin ka pa ng pabalagbag tapos sesegundahan ng... mahirap lang po ako sir... Ugh.

And that is what bothers me: the quotes and stories enabling the attitude of these people rarely tell the whole story of things.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2011, 11:25:38 AM »
Yeah but there are more musicians who are as great as him who recorded on a SLO 100.

Yes, but that's not the point. The point is, cheap gear doesn't always equate to poor tone or sound. For as long as you really know how to play, knowing proper guitar phrasing and having the right amount of technique, then the ultra-expensive guitars and gears would be the least of your concerns. Make do with what you have. Feel it, be passionate about it and it'll do wonders.

Frank, at the time, already had the means to purchase and use high-end recording equipment and amps. But he opted to use the Pignose instead. Why? Because of the three (3) factors or components Frank had with the Pignose: Comfortability, Satisfaction and Contentment.
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »
Why does tone come before the songs?  Isn't that why we picked up the guitar in the first place?  And why all this petty fighting?  Over wires strung up on a plank of wood? I hate to sound like USA for Africa but  there is enough fighting in this world, let's not add to it.  

Anyway I'll shut up now, kadalasan sa away yung umaawat ang namamatay. :-D

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
Yes, but that's not the point. The point is, cheap gear doesn't always equate to poor tone or sound. For as long as you really know how to play, knowing proper guitar phrasing and having the right amount of technique, then the ultra-expensive guitars and gears would be the least of your concerns. Make do with what you have. Feel it, be passionate about it and it'll do wonders.

Frank, at the time, already had the means to purchase and use high-end recording equipment and amps. But he opted to use the Pignose instead. Why? Because of the three (3) factors or components Frank had with the Pignose: Comfortability, Satisfaction and Contentment.

Yes. and it was his choice afterall

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2011, 11:52:58 AM »
Why does tone come before the songs?  Isn't that why we picked up the guitar in the first place?  And why all this petty fighting?  Over wires strung up on a plank of wood? I hate to sound like USA for Africa but  there is enough fighting in this world, let's not add to it.  

Anyway I'll shut up now, kadalasan sa away yung umaawat ang namamatay. :-D

+100000000. super like bro. after all. people remember good music :)

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
There’s a big difference between a cheap gear that sounds horrible and would go out of tune after a chord and cheap gear that has good tone and character that would hold tune for weeks and is giggable, and can even be used for recording.

I don’t know how big the difference between the cheap mid ranged guitars vs the boutique guitars though, but im sure its not as big of difference versus the horrible crap gears.

And some people lack the money to buy boutique gears but they compensate it with proper matching of guitars, amps and pedals to get good tone. Oh, and most importantly, skills and emotion.

oh, and some peeps can buy a lot more boutique gears than most of us here.. but some choose not to.. i dont know why.. but i do know some of them are out to prove that Great tone isnt always's expensive.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:59:32 AM by pitongjerome »
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline Marga88

• Netizen Level
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2011, 11:58:16 AM »
Could somebody please post the Youtube animated video about the tone/gear discussion in TGP.  :-)

That's really funny.  :-D
D-A-G-A pa lang alam ko...

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2011, 12:09:07 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: nasan na ba si TS? Tignan mong ginawa mo.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2011, 01:06:09 PM »
There’s a big difference between a cheap gear that sounds horrible and would go out of tune after a chord and cheap gear that has good tone and character that would hold tune for weeks and is giggable, and can even be used for recording.

I don’t know how big the difference between the cheap mid ranged guitars vs the boutique guitars though, but im sure its not as big of difference versus the horrible crap gears.

And some people lack the money to buy boutique gears but they compensate it with proper matching of guitars, amps and pedals to get good tone. Oh, and most importantly, skills and emotion.

oh, and some peeps can buy a lot more boutique gears than most of us here.. but some choose not to.. i dont know why.. but i do know some of them are out to prove that Great tone isnt always's expensive.

in addition, having great expensive gear shouldn't limit nor forbid you against utilizing available cheap gear. anything is possible naman di ba? kaya rin nagkaroon ng mga DIY builders, para magkaroon ng cheaper alternatives.

besides, the average listeners don't care too much kung anong expensive amp/guitar/pedals ang ginamit sa live gig or sa studio record, basta importante catchy sa kanila ang kanta.

walk the talk daw.

uh, let's all check again my sig? kidding. :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 01:08:15 PM by xelalien »

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
What I am really tired of seeing, hearing and reading is how some people use these examples as excuses and be even more defensive about their gear because they're poor or whatnot.

totally agree with this.  which is why i reacted when popcorn photos came out.  walang natutulong sa thread mga post na ganun eh.  

actually Alex's post above made a lot of sense and is the truth - if those musicians were given the opportunity to obtain better gear, they would've taken it.  only a hypocrite will say otherwise.

while it's true that great tone isn't always expensive, fact to the matter is, as you go up the price ladder - quality goes up too (all things being equal).  this is applicable to everything - cars, appliances, and yeah even guitar gear.  if everything is as good as everything, then they should all be priced the same.

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol: nasan na ba si TS? Tignan mong ginawa mo.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha. Bro what i did is just shared the video and hoped for a healthy discussion.

and as i posted the title i didn't stated na GREAT TONE ISNT ALWAYS EXPENSIVE. nilgay ko sha sa subject na VIDEO TITLE :| on open and closed parenthesis.

Hahaha yung iba po jan. basa basa muna bago react :)) kase kayo din ang nag mumukang ewan eh. absorb the real content :))

masama na ba mag share ng inresting finds?

bkt ba kailangan mag angasan ba kase? pwede naman i relay in a nice way yung mga sasabihin. bakit kailangan mang bash pa

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
totally agree with this.  which is why i reacted when popcorn photos came out.  walang natutulong sa thread mga post na ganun eh.  

actually Alex's post above made a lot of sense and is the truth - if those musicians were given the opportunity to obtain better gear, they would've taken it.  only a hypocrite will say otherwise.

while it's true that great tone isn't always expensive, fact to the matter is, as you go up the price ladder - quality goes up too (all things being equal).  this is applicable to everything - cars, appliances, and yeah even guitar gear.  if everything is as good as everything, then they should all be priced the same.

Sir with all due respect. he could have relayed this in a nicer way, but he chose to bash it

I am willing to bet how they wished that they had boutique gear to better express TONE IS IN THE HEART.  Kung ganoon ka ka-bilib sa kanila, gamitin mo ngayon ang [gooey brown stuff] na gamit nila...  Walk the talk.

the guys opinion is relayed nicely. and this is the quoate he gets from alex.

with all due respect sir

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »
Sir with all due respect. he could have relayed this in a nicer way, but he chose to bash it

the guys opinion is relayed nicely. and this is the quoate he gets from alex.

with all due respect sir

that's not Alex bashing a post.  if you're talking about the "gooey brown stuff", the person he quoted also said something to that effect:

you wanted a healthy discussion and you actually got it.  thing is, there are some guys who ALWAYS react badly when they see a post coming from firemodel55.  i tried backreading a bit.  it started with the indian and the pana.  reactions were sooooo out of context in that page and got repeated again in this page.  why?  because he posted his 2 cents.  some people just push the curtain of subjectivity too far.