hulika

Author Topic: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys  (Read 57171 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys
« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2011, 02:57:23 AM »
Sa palagay ko lang, walang famous luthier sa tamang katinuan na magki-claim in public na ang gawa nya ay magical...pero syempre kung mambobola sya ng cliente sasabihin nya yun kasi between him and the client lang naman yun at alam naman natin kasama ang pambobola sa negosyo...di ba sir.

Tama na sigurong sabihing maganda at good sounding ang gawa ni Yaron, pero sabihing magical parang katawa-tawa na yata yun...in my opinion.

Ang problema sa Pinoy hirap magtiwala sa foreigner kasi akala nila parating nambobola kasi ganoon ang 'style' ng mga luthier dito sa Pinas maliban lang kay Arie Hipolito.  Tinanong ko kay Cliff Cultreri, adviser sa tone ni Steve Vai at Joe Satriani, on what makes a good luthier?  Ang sagot niya: "I don't know with God.  You can give the same materials, skill and training to two different luthiers and yet one produces a magical instrument while the other doesn't."  

Do you really think tingin ko na negosyo lang si Gil Yaron? I suggest you go to his website and read thru 128 pages of his les paul build thread.  If anything, SIYA pa ang lugi sa presyo niya sa akin. At that level of expertise, dedication, attention to detail -- his fees are cheap.  I am telling you that not even Gibson Custom Historic can pull off what he is doing (By the way, for the uninformed, Gibson USA is not really making money and might be heading to bankruptcy).  He even is putting more product and effort into his work than Johann Gustavsson.  For one, Gil can provide me papers for the wood he uses on his guitar which Gibson does not.  Gil makes his own pickup rings because it affects the sound which by the way is accurate to the original bursts.  He uses the original hyde glue and fish glue that Gibson does not use.  He uses the correct wood species of the original vintage bursts and Gibson does not use the original species anymore on their VOS models and re-issues.  Gil carves out old mah jong blocks to make pickup selector switch caps to replicate the old material that the vintage burst used.  Gil's bridge assembly uses the old zinc pot formula that not even Gibson uses for their ABR.  Gil uses the old vintage italian sourced inlays that gibson used for the vintage bursts that Gibson does NOT use today.  Gil's headstock tilt is within the 4 degrees and 4.1 degrees of the original bursts.  He uses close accurate holy veneer on the headstock of the vintage bursts.  Gil makes his own Les Paul knobs because none of the current manufacturers such as allparts or gotoh can do it right.  Gil follows the correct fret spacing on the vintage bursts and does not use the current fret formula of Gibson on the Les Paul Standard.  Etc.... I suggest you read the 128 pages on the build before you judge the guy kasi nagmumukha wala kang alam sa taong hinuhusgahan mo.

By the very fact that you cannot comprehend the concept means that you have not encountered a magical instrument --- hindi ka pa fully developed sa pag assess ng magandang instrument.  No hard feelings but its really difficult and not easy to learn.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2011, 03:01:16 AM »
Actually some Black Metal bands who have access to High-End Equipments chose to record their songs with crappy gears. Why? because like the RAW tone.

for the Nth time, TONE IS SUBJECTIVE.

Sigurado ka ba?  Nasa studio ka ba noong na-record ang buong plaka?  Kung minsan lip service lang iyan para sa endorsement nila.  But point taken, however I don't see or hear them record with the crappy gear sold sa jb, behringer, lazer, etc.  Kahit papaano may minimum standard sila na HINDI subjective.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2011, 03:09:17 AM »
@Fm55

gearpage? ito ba un
feature=related

Yup the same one in good humor.  But despite its flaws, its a much superior and healthier forum than this one because it has higher standards.  Doon may mga experts na credible beside fake experts, dito halos walang expert -- kasama na ako sa kulang ng expertise.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 03:10:45 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline spetsnaz1123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2011, 03:38:22 AM »
Oh well, we are all entitled to our own opinion and I never claimed to be a tone expert and I will never claim to be one.

But, I also believe that great tone isn't always expensive. As far as I know, Jimi Hendrix used ordinary strats and the magic that he created with his music came from his fingers, his heart and his soul and not from the instrument...
'one never fails until he quits trying'

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2011, 07:06:18 AM »
re: great tone isn't always expensive

gusto ko rin itong vid :D

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2011, 07:11:36 AM »
Actually, it's really cool for Alex to let others test his equipment so they have the chance to experience it. I heard Alex is a really open guy when it comes to testing his equipment. We can take it from him that he is not really a recording type of guy, and the best way to check what he is talking about is to test it our selves.

But Alex I beg to disagree if you believe you are at the top of your tone. Sometime in the future bibili at bibili ka parin nang gamit, tulad ng mga tao dito. 2 reasons lang naman kung bakit umiikot ang mga gamit dito sa selling, it's either nag sawa ka sa gear mo at gusto mo sumubok ng iba or it's either you have no use for it anymore.

Pero ika nga tone is subjective, nasa taong nakikinag yan. But again tone does not have to be expensive. Tone is about creativity and not just about the high end or cheap gears.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #356 on: February 19, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »

By the very fact that you cannot comprehend the concept means that you have not encountered a magical instrument --- hindi ka pa fully developed sa pag assess ng magandang instrument.  No hard feelings but its really difficult and not easy to learn.

And this Mr. Alex does not make you the expert in PM when it comes to choosing the right gear.

For me the magic happens when the right instrument is in the right hands irregardless kung mahal or mura pa yan.

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #357 on: February 19, 2011, 07:21:42 AM »
I wonder how will people like Ernie Delgado, Rey Sanchez, Boy Adan, Jondi Villacorta, Cezar Aguas react to your statement.

(I wouldn't know.  As you said, they can make a living out of being a musician so I guess they are talented.  But the nice thing is I don't hear them whine about how hard it is being a musician with obligations.)

You didn't hear them whine but it doesn't mean the problem isn't there. By the way, do you know some of them personally?
They have pretty good gear but not as high as yours. And yet not only they were able to feed their family and send their kids to school, they produced some of the awesome guitar sounds that inspired me to this day. NO CUSTOM GEAR TO BE FOUND. Oh yeah, they have a little bit of talent too.

(So you say... not inspiring to me but not any less inspiring to others I guess.  By the way, I HAVE NO CUSTOM GEAR. NONE OF MY STUFF IS CUSTOMIZED FOR ME IN ANY WHICH WAY. Just great sounding gear.)

See, I didn't ask for your opinion if their playing inspires you but there you go telling me that it doesn't. Things like that irked a lot of people here.

I have a friend here in PM who has more or less the same gear as yours and yet he NEVER once told me that "ayoko yang gamit mo, pangit tunog" or "ayoko yang tube screamer, walang laban yan sa Timmy ko". In fact he appreciates that I can make the best out of what I got. In fact he always invite me for a jam session over pizza and coke.

(I salute him for being polite and being a gentleman.  Did you care to ask him what he honestly thought of your tone?)

So now you are trying to insinuate that he is a liar? For the record I didn't ask him how my tone is, siya mismo ang lumalapit sa akin that I sound pretty good. Yes I accept criticisms here and there (i.e. bawas lang ng kaunti sa bass mismo na, dagdag ng gain para lumabas ang overtones etc...). Pero kung pangit talaga ang tunog ko, he will tell me.

You never had a recording experience, so have you been in a band? The way you present yourself in PM, it seems you were never in a band or either you quit or fired. Hindi kasi ganiyan ang ugali ng musikero. Musicians have different opinions and even are as opinionated as yours pero marunong rumespeto. Kaya duda talaga ako if you know the life we pro musicians really live.

Now if you have never been a pro musician in your life, how can a lot of people give creedence to your opininated views? Kung si Malmsteen nga maraming naasar sa kaniya kasi nga akala niya siya lang lagi ang tama, ikaw pa kaya?

Learn to respect us, we might listen to you. but then if not and you keep saying na wala akong pakialam kung hindi ka paniniwalaan, you definitely are in a world of your own.

Hang on to your Baker and Yarron and Suhr while you can, di mo yan madadala sa kabilang buhay.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 07:27:34 AM by burnsbhm »
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2011, 07:29:46 AM »
Magic in the instrument? There's no such thing. Too many Walt Disney movies...........

Parang baraha, yung magic nasa magician na marunong gumamit.

Magandang gamit? Yes I agree.............. It does give an edge.

Offline jbarot

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #360 on: February 19, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
it's getting too hard to ignore...

while i agree that one should have respect and humility in voicing out an opinion, i think we can disagree with each other's views/beliefs without bringing out the worst in ourselves.  we all know that this argument will not accomplish anything but resentment.

in the grand scheme of things, it's just a [strawberry] guitar :roll:

i think we're better than this, folks. nakakahiya na sa mga co-forumites and lurkers...

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #361 on: February 19, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
Sigurado ka ba?  Nasa studio ka ba noong na-record ang buong plaka?  Kung minsan lip service lang iyan para sa endorsement nila.  But point taken, however I don't see or hear them record with the crappy gear sold sa jb, behringer, lazer, etc.  Kahit papaano may minimum standard sila na HINDI subjective.

Yes I'm Sure, because it's hard to produce bad tone with Great equipments.

Just listen to some of those KVLT BANDS, I'm sure MAIIRITA KA SA TONE sa sobrang RAW, pero yun ang gusto nila eh.

Offline 7stringmachine

« Reply #362 on: February 19, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »
sometimes the best answer is "oo na" :lol:

Haha :)) natawa ako dito bro. pabayaan na natin. loser siguro to nung bata kaya ganyan hahahahaha. virgin =))
Dang! someone just got schooled:)

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #363 on: February 19, 2011, 11:50:33 AM »
^^^ bwahahahaha!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline varied_ventures

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #364 on: February 19, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
Iba't iba naman ang preferences talaga ng tao. Wala sa pagiging high end or low end ng gear. For me, I appreciate my tone if I am inspired and have created good songs out of it because I am a musician and not just a collector of instruments. In a band setting, if the guitar's tone compliments the over-all music of the band, then one can also consider it having a great tone because it fits the band.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #365 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
unti unti ko ng naiintindihan at nararamdaman yung difference ng instrument na natural, well setup at yung may balls talaga mas less effort  at comportableng gamitin kumpara sa "average" or decent sounding,
pero yung user lang talaga ang makakaalam kung alin ang para sa kanya, at hindi malalaman hangga't hindi nakaka try ng iba't ibang klase,
at isa pa... meron at merong mas maganda or gaganda sa current setup, hindi dahil olats kundi nag babago o nag iiba ang preference ng user dahil sa experience at improvement ng skill  :-D

Offline kurtseth

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #366 on: February 19, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
unti unti ko ng naiintindihan at nararamdaman yung difference ng instrument na natural, well setup at yung may balls talaga mas less effort  at comportableng gamitin kumpara sa "average" or decent sounding,
pero yung user lang talaga ang makakaalam kung alin ang para sa kanya, at hindi malalaman hangga't hindi nakaka try ng iba't ibang klase,
at isa pa... meron at merong mas maganda or gaganda sa current setup, hindi dahil olats kundi nag babago o nag iiba ang preference ng user dahil sa experience at improvement ng skill  :-D

true true :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #367 on: February 19, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
Yup the same one in good humor.  But despite its flaws, its a much superior and healthier forum than this one because it has higher standards.  Doon may mga experts na credible beside fake experts, dito halos walang expert -- kasama na ako sa kulang ng expertise.

Of course since they're the home of a bigger market, madaming magaling na gigging/recording pros dun and other guitar/music forums vs. sa smaller market and forum natin but I'm not sure that they have higher standards. May mga ibang tao dun ang haba ng sig nila listing all their expensive boteek gear. Akala mo expert magsalita... Pero pag nagpost ng youtube or soundclips nila, olats sa tone at sa skills.  You really wonder where the so-called expertise comes from...  Then it's up to the readers to sift thru to separate the wheat from the chaff, cuz on the internet anybody can pass himself off as "somebody".

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »
Of course since they're the home of a bigger market, madaming magaling na gigging/recording pros dun and other guitar/music forums vs. sa smaller market and forum natin but I'm not sure that they have higher standards. May mga ibang tao dun ang haba ng sig nila listing all their expensive boteek gear. Akala mo expert magsalita... Pero pag nagpost ng youtube or soundclips nila, olats sa tone at sa skills.  You really wonder where the so-called expertise comes from...  Then it's up to the readers to sift thru to separate the wheat from the chaff, cuz on the internet anybody can pass himself off as "somebody".

saktong sakto sir.
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline imarco

« Reply #369 on: February 19, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »
parang ito din. . .kayo na bahala. . .hehe

sns=em

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
I said what I have to say. So I will stop here on this thread unless there is some healthy talks. I guess I made my point across and a lot share the same opinions as mine.

Ok na it stops here. Let us enjoy ourselves playing guitar. Be it expensive or cheap. Just make music with it.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2011, 07:47:33 PM »
And may I add, that I do respect his knowledge of tone and gear.

william251082

« Reply #372 on: February 20, 2011, 01:34:46 AM »
Making a fine quality instrument is an artform in itself, no one can deny that fact, kung hindi mahalaga ang quality gear eh di sana pala lahat ng gitarista nag lumanog gitara na lang dahil mura. Kahit ikaw pa ang pinaka talented na tao sa balat ng lupa, hindi mo pa rin mapapatunog archtop ang strat :lol:

Offline ernestjulian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #373 on: February 20, 2011, 02:54:34 AM »

eto ang mismo.
I play guitars for EMBERCORE | LITA'S CURSE | BLUNT CONCEPT

Offline ernestjulian

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #374 on: February 20, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
re: great tone isn't always expensive

gusto ko rin itong vid :D

naaliw ako magbasa ng mga comments sa sig mo hahahahahaha!!!
I play guitars for EMBERCORE | LITA'S CURSE | BLUNT CONCEPT