hulika

Author Topic: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys  (Read 57324 times)

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Great tone isnt always's expensive ( video title ) share ko lang guys
« Reply #375 on: February 20, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
Then keep your good sounding guitars! Still, I cannot picture that you will keep your good sounding guitar and sell the great sounding one.

Oh... there are magical sounding guitars ... they exist and pity that you cannot believe that.

Ok... sino ang mga mayaman na musician/singer dito?  Kasing yaman ni Arnel?

I am never on top of everyone else... I never said that.  I might just have better ears...

First of all, if your great-sounding guitar is of more value than your good-sounding one, value in terms of monetary, then it is only right by common sense that you sell your great-sounding guitar, if you're in desperate need of money. And this is not about myself. I'm speaking on behalf of everyone here.

Anyone who believes that there are magical guitars is a consummate fool! Again, the guitar becomes magical-sounding because of the one who plays it. You're the one who's pitiful Alex, not me. Go get yourself a life! Or better yet, a secret lover.

Ang sabi mo, si Arnel lang ang mayaman na musikero dito. Which is an absolute baloney! Hindi mo naman sinabi nung una na kasing yaman, sabi mo lang sya lang ang mayaman. Pag sinabi mo kasi yung "kasing yaman", ibig sabihin nun e may comparison. Pwedeng wala siyang kasing yaman pero may mga mayayaman din. Gets mo? Sarah Geronimo, early on her career, gets paid a total of 400,000php per four (4) songs. She has been in the music and showbusiness for quite sometime now. 7-8 years maybe. Do the math.

No, Alex, you don't have better ears and that is a fact!
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #376 on: February 20, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »
tantantantantantanan....  :evil:

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #377 on: February 20, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
tantantantantantanan....  :evil:
:evil: hahaha! (tawang romy diaz)  :evil:

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Check out how Eddie Van Halen doesn’t pick his fast notes with all the same boring velocity. He makes most of his fast licks almost funky by picking some notes harder than others." - Jason Becker

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #379 on: February 20, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »
LOL... I never thought I'd witness this.  :lol:
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #380 on: February 20, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
:evil: hahaha! (tawang romy diaz)  :evil:

Excuse me! Did someone just mention my name?!

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #381 on: February 20, 2011, 05:56:58 PM »

Witness what, 'ol buddy? :evil: :-D

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #382 on: February 20, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »

may nabasa lang ako, hindi ko na lang quote  :evil:

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #383 on: February 20, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
may nabasa lang ako, hindi ko na lang quote  :evil:

Sige na, i-quote mo na.. :mrgreen:

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Sige na, i-quote mo na.. :mrgreen:

ayaw! hehe
pero ako nag move on na, pare-parehas naman may point,
mahirap lang talagang intindihin ng karamihan kung san nanggagaling si fm55  :lol:

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #385 on: February 20, 2011, 06:20:11 PM »
 :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: lam nyo mga bords tuwing nababasa ko mga post dito imbes na mainis ako natatawa na nga ako e.  :lol: napapa ben tisoy mannerism tuloy ako.  :evil:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:21:47 PM by mikki_blinkme »

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #386 on: February 20, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »
:evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: lam nyo mga bords tuwing nababasa ko mga post dito imbes na mainis ako natatawa na nga ako e.  :lol: napapa ben tisoy mannerism tuloy ako.  :evil:

balita ko patay na si ben tisoy.... hahaha  :evil:

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #387 on: February 20, 2011, 06:24:56 PM »
ayaw! hehe
pero ako nag move on na, pare-parehas naman may point,
mahirap lang talagang intindihin ng karamihan kung san nanggagaling si fm55  :lol:

I absolutely understand where the fellow is coming from. Pero syempre pards, 'di lang basta dapat intindihin yung tao at palampasin ang mga ginagawa at sinasabi nya. Dapat nya ding malaman na may tamang paraan ng pananalita. Pero sabi nga ng iba, hopeless case na yung tao. :evil:

Offline guitarwiz02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2011, 06:31:13 PM »
balita ko patay na si ben tisoy.... hahaha  :evil:

Oo, pards! Naaksidente sa jeep.. :evil:

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Some if not most of alex's observatons are true. when i have good guitars, i sell them after a while but it eventually got to a point where i stopped selling the guitars because i liked them so much. In my case, the ones I've kept are the really expensive ones. I also have one cheaper guitar that I would never sell but thats more of the exception than the rule.

In the end, i believe you get what you pay for. There are alot of good guitars out there but there are also a bunch of great ones. Ive been fortunate enough to go through alot of guitars. You dont need a great one to make music.. just a passable one.. however I cant deny that there is magic in some high end instruments.

My 2 cents - Good guitars really sit at the 80k to 100k level. Its very very hard to find a good one below that range. There are some below.. but youll only know when you play a good guitar. I guess alex's message which is truncated in this thread is that.. "guys save up so you can all reach that level of instrument, because it is better!". Id like to add that no one needs it.. but its really nice when you get there.

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #391 on: February 20, 2011, 07:51:54 PM »
Let's leave Alex to his own. You are actually adding fuel to the fire by trying to challenge him that he is wrong. Alam ko he somewhat enjoy it pag sinasagot siya.

Napatunayan ko talaga sa sarili ko na Alex is a believer in the "tone is in the wallet" principle. He will NEVER believe that our humble equipment will not sound good. It's a way to justify his purchases.

His knowledge in guitar tones is credible. No one argues with that. He has great gear, no one argues with that. And for that, we have to respect him. I am learning to.

It's just his attitude is really bad. And from what I observed from his posts, he is really not a musician. He is more of a tone connoiseur. I'd like to believe that he has never been in a band. Or nagkabanda, paminsan minsan jammingan lang. I don't think he ever gigged with certain regularity. Yung ugali niyang ganun walang tatagal na banda sa kaniya. Hindi kasi marunong rumespeto ng paniniwala ng iba. I really hope I am proven wrong as I am writing this about my statement na hindi siya nagkabanda

Pabayaan na natin siya. In fact a lot of us here nakakaangat pa kay Alex nang milya milya. Remember this is Philmusic not Philgear Philtone or what have you. I truly believe the main purpose of this forum is all about music and musicians, secondary lang ang gear. To us that are pro musicians who tread the boards in bars and clubs in showbands and cover bands, angat tayo kay Alex kasi we were able to use our talent to a good purpose - to entertain people after a hard days work, kahit sandali makalimot nang problema, makagawa ng bagong kaibigan at pagbatiin ang mga nagkagalit.

Sa mga musikerong gumagawa ng mga kumposisiyon Angat din kayo kay Alex kasi balang araw yang mga isinulat niyo magbibigay ng kaunting inspirasiyon sa mga tao. Malay niyo yung mga kanta niyo magbibigay ng tamang landas sa maraming tao, who knows?

And we don't need expensive equipment to do these. Time and time again we have read, seen heard on records that great tones can be had with just the right amount of money in our wallet. That is not to say that boutique equipment has no place in the music world. Meron din. I doubt it if even I have a Yarron I would gig with it. Sa dami ng nakawan dito.....Di baleng dala ko ang Mexican Fender Strat ko. Manakaw man, di ganung kamahal, madali pang palitan.

We have lots going for us. At papatulan lang ang mga whims ni Alex is just a waste of time. I have to say that it's not worth it. Respetuhan na lang then live and let live.

RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #392 on: February 20, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »
Some if not most of alex's observatons are true. when i have good guitars, i sell them after a while but it eventually got to a point where i stopped selling the guitars because i liked them so much. In my case, the ones I've kept are the really expensive ones. I also have one cheaper guitar that I would never sell but thats more of the exception than the rule.

In the end, i believe you get what you pay for. There are alot of good guitars out there but there are also a bunch of great ones. Ive been fortunate enough to go through alot of guitars. You dont need a great one to make music.. just a passable one.. however I cant deny that there is magic in some high end instruments.

My 2 cents - Good guitars really sit at the 80k to 100k level. Its very very hard to find a good one below that range. There are some below.. but youll only know when you play a good guitar. I guess alex's message which is truncated in this thread is that.. "guys save up so you can all reach that level of instrument, because it is better!". Id like to add that no one needs it.. but its really nice when you get there.

Agree on them.
RJ LP Std.,Jackson DK2,Burns Brian May,Fender MIM Strat,Valencia EClassical,Nady UHF4,EHX Screaming Bird,Vox V847,Vox V830,Vox Tonelab SE,Vox Pathfinder 15R/Visual Sound J&H,Ibanez TS9 OD,MXR Analog Chorus, Boss BF2,Boss DD2,Line 6 Echo Park

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #393 on: February 20, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »
My 2 cents - Good guitars really sit at the 80k to 100k level. Its very very hard to find a good one below that range. There are some below.. but youll only know when you play a good guitar.
I do think it's been getting easier, though.

I remember going through a number of dreadnought acoustic guitars in a music store a few years back - Martins, Gibsons, Takamines, Breedloves... and they were going for AUD2000 and way up, depending on the model. They sounded great -- as good as a dreadnought can be. Then I pulled down a Cole Clark that was just under AUD900 which went on to put a smile on my face. So, I went ahead and bought the thing and didn't even look back.

Now, anybody can say that I bought a piece of crap. But if it's enough to make me to stop salivating over guitars more than twice its value, then it's a pretty good guitar in my book.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:15:12 PM by Al_Librero »

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #394 on: February 20, 2011, 08:19:56 PM »

I remember going through a number of dreadnought acoustic guitars in a music store a few years back - Martins, Gibsons, Takamines, Breedloves... and they were going for AUD2000 and way up, depending on the model. They sounded great -- as good as a dreadnought can be. Then I pulled down a Cole Clark that was just under AUD900 which went on to put a smile on my face. So, I went ahead and bought the thing and didn't even look back.

Now, anybody can say that I bought a piece of crap. But if it's enough to make me to stop salivating over guitars more than twice its value, then it's a pretty good guitar in my book.

Actually you do have a point.. because the PRS mira is about 1200 used and 1600 new and it is FANTASTIC! You cant mess up a guitar like that. I sold mine here for below 50k and thats a really good guitar! (however i did sell it .. hahaha)

Offline burnsbhm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #395 on: February 20, 2011, 08:33:56 PM »

See, just proves the title of the thread.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2011, 09:15:45 PM »
But not the video... (from the OP, not Alex's hiyaw vid).  :lol:

Besides... yung gitara sa kwento ko... that was like 40k Pesos... expensive na yun para sa akin. Hehehe.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:17:00 PM by Al_Librero »

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2011, 09:41:27 PM »
I have heard lots of great guitarists with killer tone in gigs and I don't see them playing PHP200,000++ guitars and lugging expensive tube amps... there are LOTS of them, and I salute all of them... Truth is, I love seeing (and hearing) guitarists do just that, meaning kicking ass with the gear they've got. It reminds me what it's all about... which for me is about making great music more than it being about what guitar I am playing... the kind of music that makes you close your eyes and says [gooey brown stuff] that just sounds soooo good, and why didn't I think of that riff first???!!!

Which is probably what the others were saying too... You don't need to rob a bank to make great music.

In my experience, upgrading gear to expensive stuff doesn't ALWAYS equate to having better tone... nasa timpla pa rin and the proper use of the gear. But what I will not deny though is the fact that having better gear makes the tone chase and playability easier making me focus more on my playing instead of tweaking settings, especially while in a gig...

Also, I think there comes a point where the exponential increase in cost can become an incommensurate increase in tone and playability which the guitarist is more likely to appreciate than the actual audience. But at the end of the day, if it makes you play better and makes you make better music, save up and go for it! My 2 cents worth...
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #398 on: February 20, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »
oh hai
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #399 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:36 PM »
Tone is in the balls. Check out how the guy in the video positions his guitar. That jack is connected somewhere. Would've been more fun if a hot chick did the demo. In English.
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects