hulika

Author Topic: BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues  (Read 137497 times)

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
BLUE RATS....95'-present.a decade of blues
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2006, 06:09:50 PM »
I'll have whatever BB is smoking!!!   :lol:   Seriously, a brilliant work of fiction... To those of us in the know, anyway.   =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline rasgo

• Philmusicus Noobitus
History
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2006, 06:10:39 PM »
The History of the Blue Rats will be called:

Talong And Windang Road

tahn-taaan!

Apa

(wala lang)

Offline ortigas

Re: History
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2006, 06:34:40 PM »
Quote from: rasgo

Talong And Windang Road

tahn-taaan!

Apa

(wala lang)

Si Apa talaga oh....corny pa rin... :roll:

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
Re: History
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2006, 07:11:39 PM »
Quote from: rasgo

Talong And Windang Road

tahn-taaan!

Apa

(wala lang)

Shoulda seen that coming...  :wink:  :lol:   Welcome to the thread, boss-at-large.   :wink:  :D

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2006, 10:07:37 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim
WOW!  Funny, intruiging, imaginative, and inspiring all at once!

Quote from: blue buddha

• Doric Manansala (delta_fattone) – guitars. Nathan’s 12 year old daughter (an accident in Nate’s mid-life crisis) who turns out to be a telecaster prodigy and slidemaster, and her Uncle Joric’s goddaughter. She recalls her dad and uncle constantly arguing over a band called the blue rats and what-gear-who-played-when-and-how. Karma talaga that she ended up joining the band. Funny how that works.

Wow, ewan ko kung payag si Nathan mangyari yan. Malamang proxy lang ako sa binyagan sa chapel tapos dala angkan sa reception.  :-) Pero swerte sino man ang inaanak ko na magkahilig sa blues music or slide guitar.  He/she surely will inherit both!  One of my inaanaks is now also a forumite and plays funk/jazz/rock regularly sa Malate. "Creation" ko daw siya. :-)

In 2035, kaming audience nyo will bring bullhorns na. Di na kami makasipol kasi wala nang ngipin at lung power. And you can't hear that well na!  Pero tuloy pa rin ang ligaya!!!  :-)

Me, I'm waiting for the day that I'm too old to stand on my own power. Then I can start to learn pedal steel slide guitar. :-)

so that would mean she'd have to be born in 2023...

hmmm... sige... schedule ko na kay misis...

:lol: :lol:

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2006, 12:25:36 PM »
Ay [apple] talaga -- akala ko pa naman thread ender 'yang novelette ko na 'yan. Instead, we have:

• A guy involved in advanced planning to do the nasty with his wife in 2023,

• The very late arrival to the gig of our absentee manager -- halos tapos na 'yung set 'tsaka nalang sumipot, tapos may corny joke pa -- I guess that's business as usual,

• Someone looking to buy whatever I'm smoking. Lucky Strike filters lang 'to...  :lol: ,

• Another one invoking the "oath of Omerta" and threatening to enforce "the code of silence" with 13 smileys wagging their fingers at "the circle of trust",

• The threadstarter attempting an addition to the epilogue -- an "epi-epilogue" if you will. Dapat Epiphone nalang 'yan....,

• Yet another raising the spectre of the day when wala na tayong ngipin at hindi na tayo makasipol -- how depressing is that?.....,

• .....and a guy choking on his food while reading the post!  :shock:

Mukha yatang walang katapusan ito -- nadagdagan pa!!! Lagot kayo -- this was just the mild stuff.... if you guys aren't careful I'll reach in to memory bag #2 and then the party really starts on this thread....  8-[

Wala pa dito 'yung lurid details of "Mountain Fungi Adventure: secrets enabling lefties to play greasy blues righty", or "Adventures In Rocker Crushes: who liked who and what happened because of it", or "Gigging Adventures: the definitive guide on places not to play and why", and last but certainly not the least dangerous (quite possibly however the funniest of all), "The Prankster Adventurer's Guide to Metro Manila Police Stations: the definitive handbook on what to do, who to call, and what to say for which infraction, which police station, and how you were nabbed at the time -- complete with case studies".  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2006, 01:36:21 PM »
Quote from: Beatrice Gomez
Quote from: blues2death
naknamp*&tsah!
53rd talong rave party

Sabi nang ENOUGH TALONG PARTY!!!!!  

[-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X [-X

OO NgA!!  :shock:
Are You Experienced

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2006, 10:09:32 PM »
Quote from: nathanmanansala
Quote from: deltaslim
WOW!  Funny, intruiging, imaginative, and inspiring all at once!

• Doric Manansala (delta_fattone) – guitars. Nathan’s 12 year old daughter (an accident in Nate’s mid-life crisis) who turns out to be a telecaster prodigy and slidemaster, and her Uncle Joric’s goddaughter. She recalls her dad and uncle constantly arguing over a band called the blue rats and what-gear-who-played-when-and-how. Karma talaga that she ended up joining the band. Funny how that works.

Wow, ewan ko kung payag si Nathan mangyari yan. Malamang proxy lang ako sa binyagan sa chapel tapos dala angkan sa reception.  :-) Pero swerte sino man ang inaanak ko na magkahilig sa blues music or slide guitar.  He/she surely will inherit both!  One of my inaanaks is now also a forumite and plays funk/jazz/rock regularly sa Malate. "Creation" ko daw siya. :-)

In 2035, kaming audience nyo will bring bullhorns na. Di na kami makasipol kasi wala nang ngipin at lung power. And you can't hear that well na!  Pero tuloy pa rin ang ligaya!!!  :-)

Me, I'm waiting for the day that I'm too old to stand on my own power. Then I can start to learn pedal steel slide guitar. :-)

buti ka pa...eh yung sa akin schedule sa in vitro clinic eh...parang lugi ata ako dun... :lol:
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2006, 10:49:20 PM »
Quote from: dopedeeva

buti ka pa...eh yung sa akin schedule sa in vitro clinic eh...parang lugi ata ako dun... :lol:

doesnt have to be like that... i'm sure there are plenty of more-than-eager, albeit spineless and cojones-less, donors who'd do the deed naturally. for free even. kaya lang maiiba yung future. and baka di maging mestiza. :lol:

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2006, 10:51:52 PM »
Quote from: dopedeeva

doesnt have to be like that... i'm sure there are plenty of more-than-eager, albeit spineless and cojones-less, donors who will do the deed naturally. for free even. kaya lang maiiba yung future. and baka di maging mestiza. :lol:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: :oops:  :D  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #160 on: August 27, 2006, 03:02:00 AM »
:shock:
i take a day off and leave the forum for a while and i already got the t*****g on my back... :?:  :(

sorry guys...just having a little fun. :lol:

dont look at me, BB started it...in another thread.

blues2death ha? HHHHmmmm.... Orange County. Here we go again. Are you who I think you are? Let's hear the answers to the following questions:

1. Who did Binky and "wipe the floor" with next to the bar at Hobbit one fateful evening?

2. Does a sunburst foto-flame strat with a floyd rose mean anything to you?

3. Do you know what the "talong party" is? And finally....

4. ....Were you a former Rat?  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

bb, is starting to make threats in bringing out the party stoppers to end all party stoppers....

so i better shut up while im ahead... :D
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #161 on: August 27, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »
Ay [apple] talaga -- akala ko pa naman thread ender 'yang novelette ko na 'yan. Instead, we have:

• A guy involved in advanced planning to do the nasty with his wife in 2023,

• The very late arrival to the gig of our absentee manager -- halos tapos na 'yung set 'tsaka nalang sumipot, tapos may corny joke pa -- I guess that's business as usual,

• Someone looking to buy whatever I'm smoking. Lucky Strike filters lang 'to...  :lol: ,

• Another one invoking the "oath of Omerta" and threatening to enforce "the code of silence" with 13 smileys wagging their fingers at "the circle of trust",

• The threadstarter attempting an addition to the epilogue -- an "epi-epilogue" if you will. Dapat Epiphone nalang 'yan....,

• Yet another raising the spectre of the day when wala na tayong ngipin at hindi na tayo makasipol -- how depressing is that?.....,

• .....and a guy choking on his food while reading the post!  :shock:

Mukha yatang walang katapusan ito -- nadagdagan pa!!! Lagot kayo -- this was just the mild stuff.... if you guys aren't careful I'll reach in to memory bag #2 and then the party really starts on this thread....  8-[

Wala pa dito 'yung lurid details of "Mountain Fungi Adventure: secrets enabling lefties to play greasy blues righty", or "Adventures In Rocker Crushes: who liked who and what happened because of it", or "Gigging Adventures: the definitive guide on places not to play and why", and last but certainly not the least dangerous (quite possibly however the funniest of all), "The Prankster Adventurer's Guide to Metro Manila Police Stations: the definitive handbook on what to do, who to call, and what to say for which infraction, which police station, and how you were nabbed at the time -- complete with case studies".  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

hahaha!! yan tuloy!

Some people just dont know when to quit eh?  :wink:
Are You Experienced

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2006, 11:12:52 AM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: !!!!

Milagro talaga -- that had to be the longest "quiet period" between posts. Natameme lahat sa memory bag #2 ah!!!  :wink: But y'all know that would never happen -- Tama si Tricie..... the good stuff must stay within the circle of trust, ergo:  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#  :-#

These are the things that genuinely make the blues -- the source of the band's mojo, and the stuff that enables musical families to endure.

Sometime earlier, when this thread was younger, Trice texted from downunder and remarked that despite just being a "hobby band", how amazing it was that we had done all these things -- especially the benefit for Bosyo and his family (there was in fact a lot more to that, but wiser to keep these matters private). I remarked that when one chooses to act with a great deal of integrity, kindness, honesty, faith, empathy, and concern, good things happen... and how I felt that trying to make choices along these lines was a worthwhile ambition in life. And then she said, "The hope is that when we look back on our lives in our old age, we conclude that we have lived our lives in this manner a whole lot more than we realize and that we had a lot of fun doing it".

Such wisdom from someone so young. Beyond the obvious influence from her family, I like to think that playing with the Rats had something to do with reinforcing those values -- considering the fact that she practically grew up with the band -- she was 17 when she started singing with the Rats. I think that some of these conclusions have already been arrived at by some of the band alumni and current members. Hopefully this will be true for the future Rats yet to be.

Good ingredients for the blues.

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2006, 12:44:52 PM »
Amen. :D
Are You Experienced

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2006, 06:34:56 PM »

Sometime earlier, when this thread was younger, Trice texted from downunder and remarked that despite just being a "hobby band", how amazing it was that we had done all these things -- especially the benefit for Bosyo and his family (there was in fact a lot more to that, but wiser to keep these matters private). I remarked that when one chooses to act with a great deal of integrity, kindness, honesty, faith, empathy, and concern, good things happen... and how I felt that trying to make choices along these lines was a worthwhile ambition in life. And then she said, "The hope is that when we look back on our lives in our old age, we conclude that we have lived our lives in this manner a whole lot more than we realize and that we had a lot of fun doing it".

Good ingredients for the blues.

now that's wisdom anyone can use! 8)  great one blue buddha and tricie!
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »
Well, looks like this thread has finally wound down.  I do expect more blow-by-blow stuff after the coming gigs... Knowing this band, something weird's bound to happen!   :lol:  And the story goes on...  :)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:06 PM »
hehehe...i dont know why other people stopped posting, but i'm behaving myself coz bb might make good on his threats....hehehe :lol:

at nag side comment pa ang b2d....

anyway...i did some posts, on what some blue rats alumni have been doing after their regular stint in blue rats.

some of them kinda hard to reach coz i dont know if they dabble on the internet, much less philmusic... :lol:

anyway...we know that:

*the romance between mig o. and trice g. has fully blossomed--they are getting married....or maybe they have.joey puyat wpuld also count, even though he got married before he became a rat.

*...joining the ranks of rats who have tied the knot. butch w/his look alike's sister.apa w/#8.

*johnny b still wears black after all these years...has he made good on his promise to wear something other than black on recent gigs? :shock:

*corny pa din si apa-- :lol:

*the new singers--mai and kim,kim and mai....are starting on their own blue rats history and funny memories.i don't need any confirmation on that.there will always be something new...even though it doesnt get posted here.

*we....i miss edmund and norman  :cry:.as well as the other rats whom i havent seen in a loooong time.... 8) well miguel doesnt count, even though im always happy to see him when i do.. :)

*i know that i'm drooling when rats and their jammers talk about the gear they been using onstage... :D

oh....whatever happened to b2d?

well.....i know nobody's asking...hehe, i'll say anyway what ive been up to, all these years.in case someone asks

after i left the rats in 2000, i started playing with a band formed by a certain paco a, called skin. we played in the regular showband and party circuit. although we made it an enjoyable experience for ourselves...the band only got to a point where we played 8x a week...a regular spot on a tv show(bubble gang). 4 pc band--guitars,bass, keyboards and vocals.our repertoire consists of 80s new wave,some rockalternative songs...the occasional "play that funky music"---oh, we also did mustang sally and hard to handle, so it's not a complete loss. that band fizzled when members lost interest.

then i had a stint w/ first circle---ako'y sayo fame.a band known for rnb stylings, they asked me to join them when they decided to shift to rock.more of the same songs like mentioned above.

in these two bands, i think we were one of the first to play exclusive rock songs in show band venues...there were others 'real rock' bands of course----but we were playing everywhere regularly :lol: w/c led to people not dancing, gigs getting too noisy and wild...

then the era where lotsa bands were starting to get lower budgets.gigs became scarce(again) and lots of bands got tired and went abroad.

and me having two baby girls--yeah guys im not gay, nor am i a woman hater :lol: . well let's say options were thinning out financially. i was looking to book myself in hong kong and hope for the best.

an offer to join introvoys on their US tour materialized. and i suddenly find myself here.

i am now working as a caregiver--my 5th job in a year.a friend--mike turner said it was a normal to change jobs so i must not feel bad about it  :lol: ...also no longer with introvoys.

i should say that while i was in blue rats that i learned and had a lot of fun.i still play blues when im by myself.never stopped,never will i guess.in true blue rats fashion...dont know when to quit :lol:

oh a funny story to close...

a conversation in heckle n jeckle...2-3 years after blue rats.me, full gig attire with red hair to match! :roll:

"uy sir! d ba kilala ko kayo?"--waitress at heckle

"baka...kasi tumugtog ako dito..." (uy, naka score tayo! sikat pala ako..hehe)

"ay oo! d ba sa blue rats ka dati?"(naks, cguro namangha sa sexy moves and blazing riffs onstage ha?)

"oo nga miss...buti naalala mo ako sa blue rats.miss ko na tong lugar na to e"

"oo grabe...kayo ang pinakamaingay na banda dito e! at ikaw...nakaka-walong red horse ka pag nandito ka e." (d pala blazing riffs...pagiging lassengerro ang naalala! :lol: )

Offline ortigas

« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:13 PM »
Quote from: blues2death
*we....i miss edmund and norman  :cry:.as well as the other rats whom i havent seen in a loooong time.... 8) well miguel doesnt count, even though im always happy to see him when i do.. :)

...and it's always good to see you and shoot the sh*t together.  :D was good catching up with you in Los Angeles. ingat lagi, dude...and kick ass with "Ben Paltik", which you neglected to mention. di'ba, xheldon???

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2006, 12:08:06 AM »
ben paltik? neglected? sino yun?

joke lang :lol: ayun pala...

ben paltik...mga pinoy na nakilala ko sa LA.mga mababait at masisipag na mamayan. astig pang tumugtog.

pag pinabalibaligtad mo ang letra ng ben paltik...labas ay pink table....

and we all know the story of the pink table right? goes on and on...

just like this thread.
+ :lol:
+

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2006, 01:35:48 PM »
Marami pa talagang kuwento... oras lang ang kailangan. It's actually my sincerest hope that, whether it's playing the blues or this thread,  all you folks will never know when to quit!  :lol:

And b2d, you KNOW I never make good on threats like that -- only certain other kinds of threats...  :lol:  :wink:

Migs -- dali na! Come home early na kayo and let's have some fun.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2006, 01:54:11 AM »
yeah! wala pa din tigil

i just remembered a funny story about edmund...share ko lang.tingnan ko kung matawa ka kayo.

there's a place in ayala alabang,right on the ayala commercial thing..a place named harry's grill--a restaurant owned by harry tambuatco(dont know if it's the correct spelling)

during that time he would have a jazz trio play standards...6-7 nights a week. si bugudoy ang band leader/pianist noon. bel cruz...taga angkan ng mga musikero na cruz.

anyway,tong si harry...drummer din kasi.in fact mahusay din. so mahilig din magkwento yan in between sets.

"alam mo ba kung sino dito sa pinas ang pinakamagaling na jazz/swing na drummer?"

sino?" si edmund fortuno, jonathan. na alam ko kilala sya na bilang rock en roll drummer at legend talaga sa rock yang taong yan...pero hayop kung mag swing yan taong yan..."

so rambles on for about an hour about bosyo.edmund this.edmund that...hanggang sa tinanong nya sa akin...

"so jonathan, nagbabanda ka din d ba? anong tugtugan ninyo?"

sa malate ako tumutugtog.blues ang tugtugan po namin.

"aahhh....so sino ba drummer ninyo?"

si edmund fortuno po... :lol:

"aaaahhhh....alam mo ba magaling yun?" :lol:

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2006, 06:47:43 AM »
Does anybody remember us playing for Neil Oshima's wedding afterparty?  The one on the boat?  AL was in the U.S. that time I think, so don't expect any details from him about that one.  All I remember was us playing on this boat and very nearly sinking it because nearly everyone on it had gravitated toward the bandstand at the rear of the boat!  Tricie?  Migs?

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2006, 08:36:37 AM »
ako! ako!  kasama ako non! :o

so cowboy...dyanibee...tricie....joe ...wendell played drums then.

medyo ang cute tingnan si neil noon w/his bride...kasi nung nag eexchange na sila ng vows, ang lalakas ng alon noon....gumegeywang gewang ng todo ang barko....ung mukha ni neil nun may expression na " who's f*&^n idea was this?1?!?"

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2006, 10:26:01 AM »
Quote from: DyaniBee
Does anybody remember us playing for Neil Oshima's wedding afterparty?  The one on the boat?  AL was in the U.S. that time I think, so don't expect any details from him about that one.  All I remember was us playing on this boat and very nearly sinking it because nearly everyone on it had gravitated toward the bandstand at the rear of the boat!  Tricie?  Migs?

haha I remember that! :) I remember having to stand with my legs in a the "power stance" because the boat was tilting left and right! very cool gig.. :) I also remember Butch jamming and singing with us..
Are You Experienced

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #174 on: August 31, 2006, 10:44:09 AM »
I remember that I was thinking and hoping that I wouldn't have had to use my bass as a life preserver!  We were supposed to head off to Corregidor but the captain called it off.  Good thing, too!   :shock:  :lol: