hulika

Author Topic: direct box question  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
direct box question
« on: August 18, 2006, 10:58:58 AM »
Im planning on getting the Behringer Ultra-G DI soon. Is it a good idea to run it straight to the soundcard on my pc? Anybody tried the unit? Reviews please. :)

Thanks.

Offline Milo

direct box question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:20:36 AM »
It ried "Ultra-G" on a powered mixer lang using Seagul Acoustic gtr...
Maganda...sya...tutoo tunog....
Haven't tried that on PC
..........Shadow proves the sunshine! =)

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
direct box question
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 12:09:03 PM »
pwede po. remember to apply the pads.
Not unto us, but to YOUR name give all honour.
Ps 115.:1

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct box question
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
what is the purpose of a direct box??

:-s  :-k

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
direct box question
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 12:23:38 PM »
Quote from: sigjoys

What are the pads??

Quote from: badongrodrigs

To record to my pc. I used to have a G2 which i hook up directly to my computer but im all stomps now.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct box question
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »
Quote from: Machine_Head

What are the pads??

To record to my pc. I used to have a G2 which i hook up directly to my computer but im all stomps now.
pads control the brightness and the bassiness...basta just turn it on parati if not...basag speakers mo......and turn on the 4x12 cab simulator....decente ang labas.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
direct box question
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 12:29:24 PM »
Im getting the Behringer Ultra-G. I believe i dint read anything about no pads there. But thanks for all your advise.

Offline kamalayan

direct box question
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:18:58 PM »
Im getting the Behringer Ultra-G. I believe i dint read anything about no pads there. But thanks for all your advise.
Have you seen the spec sheet? The first page shows the PAD. Really hard to miss. Cuts -20db off your signal and another -20 if you press the other pad. Cab sim is great. Buy na.

Offline smartjuan

• Philmusicus Noobitus
direct box question
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 03:14:51 PM »
advise ko bro is to check if there is an impedance mismatch.how?pa may nadidinig kang hiss sa speakers mo.solution:di-box or preamplifier.mas ok ang preamp kc pde mo shang iinstall inside your guitar(sobrang liit lng)and may gain adjustment pa sha.la ka png bitbit na di-box

Offline smartjuan

• Philmusicus Noobitus
direct box question
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 03:18:40 PM »
a mga gumagamit ng di-box for their acoustic guitar na active,pde kayong gumamit ng unbalanced xlr.mas malakas ang pasok at mas mura pa dahil bibili lng kyo ng xlr connector.pde na ding shang pang-rekta sa mixer

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
direct box question
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2006, 03:46:41 PM »
Quote from: kamalayan
Have you seen the spec sheet? The first page shows the PAD. Really hard to miss. Cuts -20db off your signal and another -20 if you press the other pad. Cab sim is great. Buy na.

Ooops i missed that. Sorry.

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
direct box question
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »
Quote from: kamalayan

+1. its the built-in attenuator for the ultra-G. one versatility of the Ultra-G is that you can get your amp's speaker output (at syempre ibabalik mo ulit sa speaker through the ultra-g) then feed it to a mixing console. syempre don't forget the pads again to protect the mixing console. pero iba rin yung naka mic yung speaker.

i also use this as well for my acoustic guitar (w/ unbalanced output) to plug through a mixing console.

a very versatile gadget.

Offline Machine_Head

• Forum Fanatic
direct box question
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 04:49:15 PM »
Im gonna be using this strictly for recording. Recording straight of my stomps sounds bad...

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
direct box question
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 04:52:18 PM »

actually, DI boxes are used to convert a load from high impedance to low impedance. :D

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct box question
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2006, 09:21:54 PM »
get your amp's speaker output (at syempre ibabalik mo ulit sa speaker through the ultra-g) then feed it to a mixing console.

korek, pero hindi na kailangan gawin pa ang "ibalik ulit sa speaker through the DI" kung ang signal naman ay galing sa extension speaker output jack ng amp.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct box question
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2006, 09:25:52 PM »
actually, DI boxes are used to convert a load from high impedance to low impedance. :D

also, convert from line level signal (instrument) to mic level signal.
The common saying that the ears are the ultimate judge in music production? To some extent they certainly are, but as we are now aware, they can also be fooled extremely easily. -- "How The Ear Works" (2011) by Emmanuel Deruty

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct box question
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 05:34:38 AM »
I have one ...nakaparking sa bag ko....you get decent sounds...but for me micing is the best...if you have a nice amp setup
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline Milo

direct box question
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 07:47:39 PM »
Quote from: Phil

What are the pads??

pads control the brightness and the bassiness...basta just turn it on parati if not...basag speakers mo......and turn on the 4x12 cab simulator....decente ang labas.

"Pad"...
Nde ko masyado alam...
pero yung "pad" sa pagkaka intindi ko nibabawasan nya yung signal mo ng ilang db (????).uhmm..nde ko maalala kung dB nga yun.
it is useful lalo na kung yung instrument na sinaksak mo ay nagK"clip" sa speaker...yung parang may biglang may tunog na nagpprito ng tsittsaron kpag nag sstrumm ka ng malakas .or anything na malakas from your instrument. Nde ito usually naayos by reducing the volume level--minsan kahit mahina na eh ganun pa rin. Kapag ni-switch mo yung "pad" parang nag ddown step yung D.I. box mo ng volume level at the same time medyo umaalalay sya dun sanisasaksakan nyang mixer (or soundcard).

So mapapansin mo pag nag-"Pad" ka...hihina yung volume moso kelangan mo itaas ulit para marinig mo...

Pacensya na..nde ko maidefine ng maayos....m speaking from experience lang...buti pa hanapin natin sa Wikipedia..

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D
..........Shadow proves the sunshine! =)

Offline myk

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 08:09:42 PM »
Mas cheaper ang Samson na D.I. Box

I think 1,800 sya :) available sya sa Audio sa megamall..
I have your mascara on my sleep

Offline sigjoys

• Veteran Member
direct box question
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 08:06:41 AM »
Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
get your amp's speaker output (at syempre ibabalik mo ulit sa speaker through the ultra-g) then feed it to a mixing console.

korek, pero hindi na kailangan gawin pa ang "ibalik ulit sa speaker through the DI" kung ang signal naman ay galing sa extension speaker output jack ng amp.

iba po kasi yung setup ko. i modded the speaker connection on my laney hcm65r. i removed the speaker wires inside the amp then replaced it with an angled male jack to connect it to the external speaker socket at the back of the amp. this is my chain: amp speaker out -> to Ultra-G's input -> speaker (getting it from the G's "direct out") while the balanced output goes to the console.

pero iba pa rin ang tunog ng naka-mic ang amp  :wink:

Quote from: Tarkuz Toccata
also, convert from line level signal (instrument) to mic level signal.

yah. the right words for easy understanding. duh. it was at the tip of my tongue. :D

Offline Tarkuz Toccata

• Philmusicus Addictus
direct box question
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 11:13:11 AM »
pero iba pa rin ang tunog ng naka-mic ang amp  :wink:

oo nga, mas marami parin ang may gusto na naka mic-in ang guitar amp.