hulika

Author Topic: Sad night...  (Read 2105 times)

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« on: August 19, 2006, 09:00:39 PM »
~6:45pm - Took out my Tele 52 RI and was dicking around with chord progressions in my bedroom
~6:55pm - Doorbell rings, friends arrived, placed the Tele on the bed (faced down) to open the door
~7:25pm - From the living room, we hear a thud from the bedroom... uh-oh
~7:26pm - Enter the bedroom, saw my 2 year-old son on the bed... smiling... saw the Tele on the floor... scratches/nicks on the headstock... looks like it fell headstock first... not too bad... then saw a gap in the neck/neck pocket... &#&%#&)!# :cry:

Lesson learned - Guitars belong in their cases when not being played

Offline tutut17

• Netizen Level
Sad night...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:04:21 PM »
ouch!!! i sympathize with you bro.

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 09:15:10 PM »
Oh my... :shock:

Did your son take any heat from you?

(and if i may ask, why'd you put your guitar on the bed facedown, instead of just laying it down?)

Offline eaRthRideR

• Forum Fanatic
Sad night...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 09:20:13 PM »
whoa! i'm sorry about that.. did your son get hurt?

hope he's alright.

my two cents..
-- if  you  can't  ACCEPT  me  at my  WORST  then you  don't  DESERVE  me  at  my  BEST --

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 09:25:13 PM »
Is this your 74ish tele thinline :shock:
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 09:32:52 PM »
Red_Strat - Nah, can't really be upset with a 2 year old.  It's my own stupidity that caused this.  Why face down? Force of habit I guess.  Most of my guitars can't be laid on their backs as the headstock is at an agle that prevents the guitar from laying flat.  So sanay lang to always put it face down on something soft of course.  Now, ang tanong is why I just didn't put it back in the case.  Ah, sheer katamaran on my part.

eaRthRideR - Son's fine.  I think he enjoyed whatever he did.  The guitar didn't fall on him or anything like that.  'Looks like he was jumping around on the bed and he decided to push it off.

pallas - No thank God!  Sobrang sentimental value nung Thinline na yan.  This was a 52 RI I picked up several weeks back.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 09:37:52 PM »
Ouch! Buti na lang indi sa paa nung bata bumagsak.
Sira na yan, akin na lang. :lol:

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 11:19:11 PM »
Oh 2 years old pa lang pala ang son mo...Until they're about 3 or 4, you can never get angry at 'em. :lol:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 11:44:39 PM »
here is the next thing you should have done: lovingly take the tele off the floor (try and not cry in front of the kid) and stuff the kid in the tele case for some "time-out" thinking to think what he has done. then, after all is done, yell at the kid and drill into him the doctrine that guitars are not "things" and he should treat them like his balls; he should treat them like he's only got one left.

why do this? because when the kid grows up and get infected with GAS, he will think about the same thing his dad told him and protect his instruments like his balls......as if he's only got one left.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Red_Strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 11:47:53 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
here is the next thing you should have done: lovingly take the tele off the floor (try and not cry in front of the kid) and stuff the kid in the tele case for some "time-out" thinking to think what he has done. then, after all is done, yell at the kid and drill into him the doctrine that guitars are not "things" and he should treat them like his balls; he should treat them like he's only got one left.

why do this? because when the kid grows up and get infected with GAS, he will think about the same thing his dad told him and protect his instruments like his balls......as if he's only got one left.

A bit harsh :lol:
But if not applied literally, PRSMan's son can really use that lesson.

Hindi ako maingat sa gamit ko when I was young. When I entered grade 2 or 3, my dad's sermons got to me..and eto, everything I own has to be clean & taken care of. Nababanas ako sa defective/dirty na gamit. :lol:

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 11:56:31 PM »
Hahaha! I got the same lessons because my dad was a HUGE audiophile towards his old analog stereos and vinyl. Thnakfully, I never messed with his stuff but still got the "talk" at a very young age about the strict need to treat equipment, specifically, music equipment, with the utmost care because they are old, great, and cost a sh*tload of money that I would have to sell my kidney's for to replace or repair.

Offline eaRthRideR

• Forum Fanatic
Sad night...
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 01:03:37 AM »

i cannot tolerate attitude like that.. why yell if you can speak to him

a nice way?

a-two-year-old-boy is a two-year-old-baby (still) ..

we,the old ones,should be the responsible enough when it comes to such

stuff. . anong alam ng 2year-old boy? how harsh to treat

an angel like that.

jesus! you'll know what i supposed to mean when you have a child of

your own.

my two cents..
-- if  you  can't  ACCEPT  me  at my  WORST  then you  don't  DESERVE  me  at  my  BEST --

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 01:11:27 AM »

not sure if you are serious about this, but if you are... well, to each his own.

if my son rummaged through my stuff kept in their proper place, then maybe there's reason to be more upset.  but the guitar was not supposed to be in the bed in the first place, so i have noone to blame but myself.

plus, the guy's 2.  my personal opinion is that you don't yell at a 2 year old.  what does that get you?  nothing really.  you'll end up just teaching the kid how to yell.

oh well, kaya nga may repair shop.  at the end of the day, everything can be replaced.  and this is just a piece of wood.

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 01:41:27 AM »
di naman ata grabe yun tama.... balitaan mo kami.... lets just hope for the best :D

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 01:53:19 AM »
Hey, it could be worst. You could've had a broken headstock/neck or a cracked body... or your son might have fallen with the guitar and hurt himself. All in all I think you learned your lesson well, hehe. Just think of it this way... the scratches, dings, and little cracks gives character to your guitar. With a little more falls and dings you will soon be the proud owner of a vintage looking guitar, hehe.  :lol:

Offline stratman1

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 01:54:16 AM »
By the way... I like that minute to minute blow by blow account of the events. Parang nasa korte ka, haha!

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 02:25:06 AM »
tama si dan, importante di nasaktan yun bata

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2006, 02:40:33 AM »
nah - it wasn't serious, just sarcasm. i should've pointed that out. still, the point remains that because kids have no consciousness of right or wrong (or do they?) adults have to pick up a lot of slack to make sure nothing bad happens. in my case, i always expect the worst and make adjustments based on that. Leaving a guitar on its stand just gives me visions of a 2 year old kid taking the guitar by the headstock and smashing it on the floor like Ace Freeley or Kurt Cobain during a show. The chances of this happening are slim, I know, but still - what if? Its better to be safe than sorry. Imagine telling your kid later on when he is older,"Yeah, I used to have a '69 strat but when you were 2 years old, you picked it up and smashed the guitar in half on our dinner table right where the neck meets the body. So, yeah, Iused to have a '69 strat but not anymore. Thanks, buddy, thanks."

All in all, things could have been worse, AND the kid would've needed stiches. Also, just thank God that the guitar you were playing was a hardy Tele and it wasn't a Gibson LesPaul or something. Those guitars easily break right by the headstock. THAT would've sucked.

Offline jack in a vox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »
i feel your pain man.. :(

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2006, 01:33:19 PM »
PRSman - sori to hear dat.  pero if it were me, i would never forgive myself if ever nasaktan yung bata.  it would quickly put into context the place of gear in life. baka sunugin ko pa lahat ng gtr ko sa sama ng loob.  

IMO, tama lang pangaralan (in a way that's appropriate for a 2 yr old). pero no gear would be worth seeing your kid hate you just because you put more value to it than the kid's feelings and emotions. baka magka-complex pa cya.  in the end you might be paying for a shrink or, worse, bail(!)... money that could go into gear that both you and your kid can enjoy... hehe, GAS pa rin!  :lol:

just my 2 cents... i'm just imagining what it would be like for me. i've had similar, small accidents but nothing like above.

Offline caloyburger

Sad night...
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2006, 02:45:47 PM »
now your guitar is naturally reliced.  people pay lots just for the factory to screw it up for them  :D

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 11:53:35 AM »
Quote from: PRSMan

not sure if you are serious about this, but if you are... well, to each his own.

if my son rummaged through my stuff kept in their proper place, then maybe there's reason to be more upset.  but the guitar was not supposed to be in the bed in the first place, so i have noone to blame but myself.

plus, the guy's 2.  my personal opinion is that you don't yell at a 2 year old.  what does that get you?  nothing really.  you'll end up just teaching the kid how to yell.

oh well, kaya nga may repair shop.  at the end of the day, everything can be replaced.  and this is just a piece of wood.
...hhhhmmmm...wonder this guy has kids or not.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline eaRthRideR

• Forum Fanatic
Sad night...
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
Quote from: Phil

i don't think he has, with the way he thinks?

so careless with others.

my two cents..

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad night...
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 02:21:46 PM »
Quote from: eaRthRideR
Quote from: Phil

i don't think he has, with the way he thinks?

so careless with others.

my two cents..

ayyy......again, from a previous post I will reiterate, the theme was sarcasm. sarcasm. reading between the lines furthers the counterpoint,"Can this guy really be serious over....a guitar??" yeah, sure. like a rational human being would actually value a piece of dried painted wood over your own flesh an blood. so, yes, the butt of the theme was sarcasm, and not literal meaning. man, tough crowd, huh? who is a conservative in here?

anyway, so the point gets across - again - and no ho-hah gets raised over literal misinterpretations of I-am-holier-than-thou-because-of-my-family-morals, I will repeat that the but theme of the post was sarcasm.

oh yeah, i helped raise a sibling too so, uh, i know a thing or two about kids, changing diapers, being a legal guardian, and attending PTA meetings, you dig?