hulika

Author Topic: Our very own custom FX builders (Subzero FX, Liptone & JMorerro) interviwed @  (Read 25563 times)

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
hmmmmm... para sa akin lang, kung parehas ang buying power ng mga pedal builders at si firemodel55. Malamang magiinvest ang mga builders sa mga high end na mga gamit.

Offline sargento

• Veteran Member
or, he can just lend them some of his high end equipments.

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
im interested in our local pedal builders because I never knew that we have them, I want to get some pedals from them in the future if I learn enough about custom pedals, sa ngayon kase puro mga pedals na available lang sa guitar shops ang medyo alam ko..

Lets just stick to the topic, and that is promoting our local builders, syempre theres always room for improvement, but lets comment in positive constructive ways.

More power to our local luthiers and pedalbuilders
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:05:06 AM by officebiker »
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
wait. correct me if im wrong but, if you have your individual set up then it will be "my set up vs your set up" na?

because all other variables should be constant except the tube screamers if you wanna prove that your tube screamer is better than the clones..

anyway nothings prolly gonna be worng since you are comparing Tube screamers most prolly they have the same circuits..

it should be "your tube screamer vs tube screamer clones"?

ppwede ba kung:

yung individual set up mo + your tube screamer, then yung tube screamer clones will your use your set up too? para constant ang other variables..

paki correct nalang kung mali analogy ko..

Its like buying a new pickup... you install it on your guitar right?  I mean you don't assess it after buying and installing it on another person's guitar that you are unfamiliar with. 

Tingin mo lahat na tube screamer ay pareho ang tunog?  Tingin mo lahat tamang calibration if all the controls are twelve o clock inclusive of clones?  Of course not.  You have to use your own ear as a guide on YOUR OWN GEAR THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH.  When I was in New York, the boutique shops would always ask me my gear because they would try to find the closest guitar, the closest amp to my setup just to test a pedal and believe me they have so much equipment to choose from including vintage amps and guitars.

You are dead wrong to think na ang circuit defines a TS808.  I even feel its more of the type of chip and Texas Instruments Made in Malaysia sounds better than the JRC Japan.  No matter how bad I wanted the Japan chip to sound better.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Well, part2 touched on it briefly, look for jmorerro's quote towards the end about the bigger importance of guitar and amp.  Even if it the article did not focus on that, ok lang.  It's all about the local DIY stomps, so they zero in on the topic.

I think they would do well to stick to their niche.  Not to say they shouldn't accept international orders, but to say they have to design and build for international artists implies that you should only please that market.  They are first and foremost Filipinos, so naturally they cater to a lot to local orders.  I say draw inspiration from the foreign builds, then use your ears and creativity to build something that first, sounds good to you, and second, works well in full band situation.  All in local context.  If others use their wallet to agree with what you have built, then all well and good, you build a following, you have a good product.

Nevermind the foreign acts or foreign artists, most of whom would buy local to them anyway and thumb their nose down on most Asian non-japanese builds.  But it's a bonus if some would order from you.

Maybe it's funny to you, but you have just made a blanket statement that they don't have good amps.  In fact, it's rudimentary that a good build must sound good in a number of amps, and a lot of them audition on amps a lot of people use.  Not just one.  Who would test on only a single behringer w/ an 8" speaker amp?  You think he would be successful? (rhetorical)

Also, versions are only an indicator, that either the build is a work in progress (to get something right or try new parts/methods), or it is a true custom build that customers can ask for modifications they see fit for their needs.  What's so funny about that?  There is no standard for 'good sounding' (arguable for you, but don't take it there), and to truly move forward you gotta work in different platforms.

Eh.  So maybe next time they could put out an article about the guitar and amp.  I don't think it glorifies the pedals too much, just a good write-up on the chosen subject.  Which happens to be local pedal builders.

Good for you.  But I hate to break it to you, the whole "If you work at the parts the whole will be a success" does not necessarily apply.  It only works, and there's only success if the results speak to you in a positive way.  "Premium parts" are meant to attract buyers like you, who demand the best, also at a premium.  Not to say that they don't build with premium parts to begin with, because some will...  just to have that base covered right at the beginning.  Fortunately, having local builders you can actually go to, speak with, and audition builds with, means that tolerances can be a little looser and tweakable.  BTW, did you audition your tubescreamer dual opamp chip with other chips?  It's socketed, isn't it?

I agree here.  But pedals are some of the cheapest fun you can get if you're bored with your gear.

Siore, its all about standards.  The foreign guys have better sound standards than us, generally.  I did mention an example with the Cornell First Fuzz which I initially thought was just some guy pulling my leg just because he designed the first Dallas Arbiter Fuzzes.  But lo and behold, his product delivers.  Remember, I hate fuzzes. 

With regards to amps, again iba ang standards ng amps abroad THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE USE.  Sino ba dito may 1968 na plexi or Fender na Tweed, ilan lang kami may Diezel or even Marshall na kompleto ang tubo mula preamp hangang power amp?  Dito lang naman walang standard sa tunog kasi kulang ng perang pambili.  Punta kang new york.  Wala kang makikitang behringer.  Mga amp na vintage, mga dumble, mga trainwreck, makakahanap ka para maka test ng gitara.  Kung walang standard sa tunog, then any high end studio could have just used behringer amps to record.

Bakit si Klon Centaur walang modification?  And yet its still selling like hot cakes maski na hindi ko nagustuhan.  Eh, kasi may specific application na magandang tunog for a majority na hindi na pa kailangan i-customize per individual. 

As I said, they are a commercial success and offer superior value for money -- something I don't dispute but are NOT world class in quality and sound.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
kung pinanganak kaya si firemodel55 na isang mahirap,
makakapagsalita pa kaya siya ng mga ganyan?
nagtatanong lang po. .. 
  :|

Nope...

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
of the 3 builders, i have only had the chance to try out Jim's pedals but also owned some by another builder.  i can say that Jim's pedals are very well built and the guy just puts too much dedication into building his pedals that you will be assured that it's top shelf.

Jim used a Fender Strat and a Fender Concert amp to test the pedals he made for me.  as far as i'm concerned, i can call that industry standard, at par with any other amp out there.

Someone was able to test one of the 3 builder's TS clone.  Naging ngo ngo pag back down the guitar volume in contrast to which the TS9 continued to maintain highs despite the backed off guitar volume.  Obviously, thats not industry standard.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
hindi ba "Busted" na itong usapin na 'to sa Visual sound's version of mythbusters?!

Pasensiya na... hindi ako bilib sa Visual Sound...

challengeofthegobots

Its like buying a new pickup... you install it on your guitar right?  I mean you don't assess it after buying and installing it on another person's guitar that you are unfamiliar with.  

Tingin mo lahat na tube screamer ay pareho ang tunog?  Tingin mo lahat tamang calibration if all the controls are twelve o clock inclusive of clones?  Of course not.  You have to use your own ear as a guide on YOUR OWN GEAR THAT YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH.  When I was in New York, the boutique shops would always ask me my gear because they would try to find the closest guitar, the closest amp to my setup just to test a pedal and believe me they have so much equipment to choose from including vintage amps and guitars.

You are dead wrong to think na ang circuit defines a TS808.  I even feel its more of the type of chip and Texas Instruments Made in Malaysia sounds better than the JRC Japan.  No matter how bad I wanted the Japan chip to sound better.

You are dead wrong. Period.

Akin na yung pedal mo testingin ko sa gitara at amp ko. Ganun lang ka-simple yun. May reference na naman sa New York.

Pero get this Mr Firemodel, no amount of money can buy YOU (just you) good tone. Di ka marunong tumugtog. Based on your swirling video, and comparing to other people's demos. Di mo alam kung ala ka na sa tono, simpleng pentatonic run lang ang sagwa na e. Kung yun lang e di mo na nakuha, paano kami maniniwala sa ibang ka-lechehan na pinagsasabi mo?

Kung marunong ka talaga tumugtog, sa kayabangan mo, dapat ang dami ng video na nagkalat na tumutugtog ka at pinupuri mo yung sarili mo. Pero sa haba ng panahon "swirling" lang napala namin sayo.

Back to topic:
I am willing to bet that si juwanfidel09 or sige any other player in this thread lang can play thru markv's shredhead and tapos naka blindfold sa kanila yung jmorrero pedals, tapos naka-counterweight sa left hand yung buong line ng liptone pedals tapos rj rage amps (meron pa ba nun?) na kinalikot ni mang raul lang ang gamit e masmaganda pa tone kesa kay firemodel thru his ugly baker and crappy diezel. Because our local builders are practicing musicians as well. These pedals are not out to produce just tone, but they're intended to ultimately help produce music.

Kelangan nila ng magpo-posing dito sa site nato Firemodel o, forum din naman:
digitalphotographer.com.ph/

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
una apoymodelo69 - pano mo nalaman na wala sila matino gitara? close kayo?

(Ano ba ang tingin mong matino na gitara?)
pangalawa apoymodelo69 - tama, kasama ang gitara, ampli, cable, pikup at kung ano ano pa sa pagbuo ng tunog, pero naisip mo na ba kung sino talaga nagpapatunog?

(Ito ang kakatawa. Iyan ang sinasabi ng marami kaso ang mga idol niyong nagigitara abroad ay may specific na gitara, paboritong ampli, length specific cable, custom wound pickup na hind gawa sa pinas at walang bilib sa sarilling daliri nila)
pangatlo apoymodelo69 - baket ba kylangan mo lagi isingit ung mga butik mo na gamet? tiga butika kaba?

(Bakit?  Bumili ka na ba pedal from any of the three?  Bumili ka muna tapos pagusapan natin ang butika.)

sana nakita mo na kung pano humawak ng gitara iyang si jm at kung ganu kasarap sa tenga magpatunog yan. di mo titignan ung ginagamit nya kasi sa sarap ng tunog pipikit kana lang (or hihiyaw)

baw

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
You are dead wrong. Period.

Akin na yung pedal mo testingin ko sa gitara at amp ko. Ganun lang ka-simple yun. May reference na naman sa New York.

Pero get this Mr Firemodel, no amount of money can buy YOU (just you) good tone. Di ka marunong tumugtog. Based on your swirling video, and comparing to other people's demos. Di mo alam kung ala ka na sa tono, simpleng pentatonic run lang ang sagwa na e. Kung yun lang e di mo na nakuha, paano kami maniniwala sa ibang ka-lechehan na pinagsasabi mo?

Kung marunong ka talaga tumugtog, sa kayabangan mo, dapat ang dami ng video na nagkalat na tumutugtog ka at pinupuri mo yung sarili mo. Pero sa haba ng panahon "swirling" lang napala namin sayo.

Back to topic:
I am willing to bet that si juwanfidel09 or sige any other player in this thread lang can play thru markv's shredhead and tapos naka blindfold sa kanila yung jmorrero pedals, tapos naka-counterweight sa left hand yung buong line ng liptone pedals tapos rj rage amps (meron pa ba nun?) na kinalikot ni mang raul lang ang gamit e masmaganda pa tone kesa kay firemodel thru his ugly baker and crappy diezel. Because our local builders are practicing musicians as well. These pedals are not out to produce just tone, but they're intended to ultimately help produce music.

Kelangan nila ng magpo-posing dito sa site nato Firemodel o, forum din naman:
digitalphotographer.com.ph/

Gobot, mas magaling ka kaysa akin?

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
Don't get me wrong...  I also enjoy pedals but I want to say, if the Filipino is to first improve his tone -- pedals (stompboxes) are not the first things he should spend on.

I definitely agree. It's a very common mistake (fell for it when I was starting out too.. ).

challengeofthegobots

hindi ka naman magaling. maski sino masmagaling sayo.

Offline acidtest

• Forum Fanatic
lurker post para mas madaling mahanap  :-D
- Joyo AC tone demo

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=736032  
feature=related  KBP musicfest teaser - 'Nandito lang' - entry number w00511

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
hmmmmm... para sa akin lang, kung parehas ang buying power ng mga pedal builders at si firemodel55. Malamang magiinvest ang mga builders sa mga high end na mga gamit.

Hindi lang siguro pedal builders. I'm sure if all of us have the same buying power as sir firemodel55, then lahat tayo may high end na gamit. But the sad part is, we don't so we stick to what we can afford.

2 of the 3 builders palang ang natry ko ang pedal, one from each. I'd love to try sir jim's pedals, lalo na yung Dzound but money issues keeps me from getting one..

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic

I know this is futile, stating no recording device can capture his tone, but WTH, DEMO!  :-D
Google is your friend.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus

Pati ikaw?  Ipakita mo nga galing mo.

Offline hack3rberry

laughtrip to! hehehe :-D :-D :-D makapag praktis nga para gumaling  :-D :-D
references: bossingboss, mandoytz, dewberry, guitbox, micsis, groundzero, jack72, mondemonle, blackmanika, progfather, mr_orange316, ricabb7, jon_caparas, r_chino18, joyrdindin, call_of_ktulu25, guitarer1105,Letour,Xelly,rtf_axeman,alalala

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
Someone was able to test one of the 3 builder's TS clone.  Naging ngo ngo pag back down the guitar volume in contrast to which the TS9 continued to maintain highs despite the backed off guitar volume.  Obviously, thats not industry standard.

there are just so much factors to consider when you say ngo-ngo, and the biggest factor is still the player.  what amp and guitar did he use?  well even if you answer it we wouldn't know for sure since there is no video/audio support.  it's possible na kaya naging ngo-ngo yung sound is because of the guitar's pots rolling off too much treble.

you also have to factor in the builder's learning curve.  no one gets it right the first time, after all.
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline lordpogi

• Veteran Member
I sure would like to hear some clips of the all the boxes here..personally, i went to the same highschool and college of niel from subzero and also joined the same band competitions back in the day..i know this guy can play and the hard work he is capable of...if i had an extra 3k, id easily get any of these boxes..give it a try and have it modded for my preference..it all boils down to what the player wants to sound like..beit botique or custom..**runs to grab guitar and practice..let's not hate..tulungan n lng tyo lahat...peace out!
ibanez 2010 s570 white / aria ta50 wine red
keeley katana
marshall mg30fx gfx 1

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
sa tingin ko di nagkakaintindihan. MAGTAGALOG NA LANG KAYO e puro naman tayo Pilipino at marunong magtagalog (MALAMANG!). Iba iba kasi bitaw ng pag english ng isa at ng iisa pa at ng iba kaya yung iba di na magkaintindihan or iba ang pagkakaintindi.  :lol:

Para lang sa pagkakaintindihan... Pls... walang call centre language.  :lol:

Offline hack3rberry

gagaling yan si firemodel pag nakuha nya yung pick of destiny.  :-D
references: bossingboss, mandoytz, dewberry, guitbox, micsis, groundzero, jack72, mondemonle, blackmanika, progfather, mr_orange316, ricabb7, jon_caparas, r_chino18, joyrdindin, call_of_ktulu25, guitarer1105,Letour,Xelly,rtf_axeman,alalala

Offline juwanfidle09

• Philmusicus Addictus
Hindi lang siguro pedal builders. I'm sure if all of us have the same buying power as sir firemodel55, then lahat tayo may high end na gamit. But the sad part is, we don't so we stick to what we can afford.

2 of the 3 builders palang ang natry ko ang pedal, one from each. I'd love to try sir jim's pedals, lalo na yung Dzound but money issues keeps me from getting one..

(Last off topic reply)

Pero kahit na hindi high end yung gear nila, at least they're able to maximize the capabilities ng mga gamit nila :)

Offline tongski_02

• Philmusicus Addictus
gagaling yan si firemodel pag nakuha nya yung pick of destiny.  :-D

uunahan ko sya mahanap yun!!!! nandito daw sa singapore e
lumanog > denio ds > hanabishi karaoke + hanabishi electric fan

Offline plugzzzz

• Philmusicus Addictus
challengeofthegobots/jim/liptone vs firemodel55

jam nalang kayo salitan ng solos..... firemodel using yung gears nya ganun din si challengeofthegobots/jim/liptone(using kanyakanyang gear) pero dapat same volume level lang labanan  ....

tapos dun natin mapapakinggan yung tone na pinag mamalaki ni firemodel55.... boutique gearhead vs musicians
Kapag merong tanong o ikay naguguluhan igoogle mo

PLUGELECTRONIC'S RECTORIZER