hulika

Author Topic: Our very own custom FX builders (Subzero FX, Liptone & JMorerro) interviwed @  (Read 25611 times)

Offline pok

• Philmusicus Noobitus
 :-D Lalo po ako na excite..

Offline Jason

• Philmusicus Addictus
I agree. We should have a mini expo for them.  Like in a cafe or at a house just to display their work.  It has to start somewhere.
this, sana mas marami pang builders ang magparticipate sa next GAS day.
Sucessful transactions: haha,Siore,Slowhandpal,ramnem,halo88,Bluemech,mghz33,Yhongers,Martney,Acousticky,OmegaRed,queking,sinonieayako,anton_mtegtr,indiemax,DyuN WhammY,

Offline Jason

• Philmusicus Addictus
I agree. We should have a mini expo for them.  Like in a cafe or at a house just to display their work.  It has to start somewhere.
this, sana mas marami pang builders ang magparticipate sa next GAS day.
Sucessful transactions: haha,Siore,Slowhandpal,ramnem,halo88,Bluemech,mghz33,Yhongers,Martney,Acousticky,OmegaRed,queking,sinonieayako,anton_mtegtr,indiemax,DyuN WhammY,

Offline gogosago

• Philmusicus Noobitus
nakakatuwa nga naman tong thread na 'to. hmm. wala naman ako sa lugar magsalit kasi di nga naman ako magaling, pero iindulge na ako. masyado lang talaga madaldal tong si firemodel55. puro tahol walang kagat.

january 2012? ano yan patawa? sa mga nabasa kong mga thread, puro hamon din siya(yung kay deltaslim) hindi naman matuloy-tuloy. puro palusot. kelangan pa ata ng isang taon para mag-ensayo. ang lakas ng loob mang-hamon. halatang gusto niya na ganun katagal para makalimutan ng mga tao sa lipas ng panahon.

LUMABAN KA NA FM55.

kampi ako kay gobot dito.

Offline mintzkie009

"All is Well"

Offline markezekiel

• Philmusicus Addictus
I do NOT agree with a lot of points in the article.  The only point I agree on in the article is that you need a guitar and amp for you to plug the stompbox in between.  Surprisingly, the article forgets to mention that as it proceeds in the narrative.  However, I think for what they are doing and their pricing, they BRING IT.

But to me, they are NOT yet world class because of the following reasons:

1) Musical Exposure -- they don't design or make pedals for the top artists in the world.  Unfortunately, its a realization of the Philippine Condition.  I recently bought a Cornell First Fuzz.  By the way, I hate fuzzes.  So does my luthier friend.  But I told my luthier, you have not heard a Fuzz that sounds this good.  True enough he is now a convert -- turning his tiny trebly strat into something as thick as a les paul.  We were both floored but we both realized that we were never exposed to the good sounding fuzzes thru our combined years and it takes a reproduction by Mr. Cornell to show us/let us hear the beauty of the early fuzzes.  By the way, it doesn't sound as fizzy as you think.  In fact, if anything it makes the sound thicker and more dynamic -- yup that doesn't sound like your typical fuzz.  And yet my reason for keeping it is because, it does the thick sound and dynamic in a way that no other fuzz or overdrive or distortion can.

2) Money in the Bank -- they don't own a lot of the good sounding amps and good sounding guitars that should be tested with pedals.  This is the biggest minus. How sure are you that the boss they are modifying to make sound good on the behringer will NOT actually ruin your sound going thru a Fender amp?  You are not.  Wala kasi silang mga amp na iyon.  Tingnan niyo ang mga local made pedals ay mas maraming version kaysa american and european counterparts?  Natatawa lang ako. 

The problem with the article is that is glorifies pedals too much and removes it SO much from the context of the guitar and amp.

I can say that I own more pedals than these three guys combined and all these pedals are 90% boutique and scattered around the house.  If there should be someone designing pedals, it should be me but... I want to emphasize that the guitar with character and good sounding tube amp is worth much more than a pedal -- but more expensive too.  A lot of the local designers have tube screamer clones.  I have a TS9 (first re-issue MIJ) modded with riken ohms and a specially selected Texas Instrument Made in Malaysia chip that Mr. Lito Bote helped me pick out.  And I am willing to bet that none of the local TS clones can beat it in terms of sound.  In fact, it beat a real old vintage  TS808 in terms of sound.  But you know what, where that pedal really shines in is when its set as a boost in front of my 1972 Marshall Super Lead Head.  Talk about people criticizing the Tube screamer mid hump, it just seems to be friendly with the amp. 

Don't get me wrong...  I also enjoy pedals but I want to say, if the Filipino is to first improve his tone -- pedals (stompboxes) are not the first things he should spend on.

napaka down to earth mo naman..

tsktsk!!

let the notes do the talking!

Offline powghi

• Veteran Member
wala na lipas na HEhehE!

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Our very own custom FX builders (Subzero FX, Liptone & JMorerro) interviwed @
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2011, 11:52:02 PM »
sana isinali sa article si Levontech and his "MXR" pedals :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
guys can anybody share me the recent celfone number of liptone ◄◄◄

TIA
-Emil

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
I hope we have a thread or directory for all local DIYers where they can advertise their stuff and people can check out the "brands" (aka builder's works).

btw, natuloy ba yung showdown? March na. :wink:

Offline Ben Tsing Co

• Philmusicus Addictus
bakit ngayon ko lang to nabasa  :-(

Kudos to all Filipino Custom FX builders  :-D
“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Offline sheepsmellslikeseashells

I do NOT agree with a lot of points in the article.  The only point I agree on in the article is that you need a guitar and amp for you to plug the stompbox in between.  Surprisingly, the article forgets to mention that as it proceeds in the narrative.  However, I think for what they are doing and their pricing, they BRING IT.

But to me, they are NOT yet world class because of the following reasons:

1) Musical Exposure -- they don't design or make pedals for the top artists in the world.  Unfortunately, its a realization of the Philippine Condition.  I recently bought a Cornell First Fuzz.  By the way, I hate fuzzes.  So does my luthier friend.  But I told my luthier, you have not heard a Fuzz that sounds this good.  True enough he is now a convert -- turning his tiny trebly strat into something as thick as a les paul.  We were both floored but we both realized that we were never exposed to the good sounding fuzzes thru our combined years and it takes a reproduction by Mr. Cornell to show us/let us hear the beauty of the early fuzzes.  By the way, it doesn't sound as fizzy as you think.  In fact, if anything it makes the sound thicker and more dynamic -- yup that doesn't sound like your typical fuzz.  And yet my reason for keeping it is because, it does the thick sound and dynamic in a way that no other fuzz or overdrive or distortion can.

2) Money in the Bank -- they don't own a lot of the good sounding amps and good sounding guitars that should be tested with pedals.  This is the biggest minus. How sure are you that the boss they are modifying to make sound good on the behringer will NOT actually ruin your sound going thru a Fender amp?  You are not.  Wala kasi silang mga amp na iyon.  Tingnan niyo ang mga local made pedals ay mas maraming version kaysa american and european counterparts?  Natatawa lang ako. 

The problem with the article is that is glorifies pedals too much and removes it SO much from the context of the guitar and amp.

I can say that I own more pedals than these three guys combined and all these pedals are 90% boutique and scattered around the house.  If there should be someone designing pedals, it should be me but... I want to emphasize that the guitar with character and good sounding tube amp is worth much more than a pedal -- but more expensive too.  A lot of the local designers have tube screamer clones.  I have a TS9 (first re-issue MIJ) modded with riken ohms and a specially selected Texas Instrument Made in Malaysia chip that Mr. Lito Bote helped me pick out.  And I am willing to bet that none of the local TS clones can beat it in terms of sound.  In fact, it beat a real old vintage  TS808 in terms of sound.  But you know what, where that pedal really shines in is when its set as a boost in front of my 1972 Marshall Super Lead Head.  Talk about people criticizing the Tube screamer mid hump, it just seems to be friendly with the amp. 

Don't get me wrong...  I also enjoy pedals but I want to say, if the Filipino is to first improve his tone -- pedals (stompboxes) are not the first things he should spend on.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline caiLLORIN

I was thinking of making a "Made In The Philippines" pedalboard, with all the content (flight case, board, PSU & chains, patch cables, and stompboxes) crafted here by our brothers. I was fantasizing about the idea for a long time now, just couldn't get up to move into action. I'll be starting the project this 2012 though. Would post pictures before the year ends, if I get to complete it all.  :-)

BTW, natuloy ba yung showdown?

Offline dirt

• Veteran Member
natuloy... fliptop lang...  :-P
YEAH I WANNA PLAY GUITAR EVERYDAY!!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
I was thinking of making a "Made In The Philippines" pedalboard, with all the content (flight case, board, PSU & chains, patch cables, and stompboxes) crafted here by our brothers. I was fantasizing about the idea for a long time now, just couldn't get up to move into action. I'll be starting the project this 2012 though. Would post pictures before the year ends, if I get to complete it all.  :-)

BTW, natuloy ba yung showdown?

What for?  The imported board setup look cooler and sound more awesome.

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus

youch. the point of the thread was to talk about products made by hometurf guys -kinda to share info and tone, you know? no need to swat them down like that, man. folks are just supporting the scene and sharing knowledge and that is all good in my book.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 06:18:11 AM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
youch. the point of the thread was to talk about products made by hometurf guys -kinda to share info and tone, you know? no need to swat them down like that, man. folks are just supporting the scene and sharing knowledge and that is all good in my book.

Yup and I am also sharing my knowledge.  Abyss, you have to understand because of the low standards in this country -- the Philippines -- anybody who makes a DIY sound is NOW considered HOMETURF GUYS WITH KNOWLEDGE.  If you compare their qualifications to the really good guys abroad who make effects, malayo sila.

P.S. Maraming nanloloko dito sa Pinas, pinoprotektehan ko lang ang mga tao dito na wala pang exposure sa mga iba't ibang mas magandang FX
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 07:40:06 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Yup and I am also sharing my knowledge.  Abyss, you have to understand because of the low standards in this country -- the Philippines -- anybody who makes a DIY sound is NOW considered HOMETURF GUYS WITH KNOWLEDGE.  If you compare their qualifications to the really good guys abroad who make effects, malayo sila.

P.S. Maraming nanloloko dito sa Pinas, pinoprotektehan ko lang ang mga tao dito na wala pang exposure sa mga iba't ibang mas magandang FX

well, if you put it that way, it makes it less stingy, i guess, but still, it could have been done in a less -how shall I say-condescending approach, maybe?

i like that you are sharing info so thats not bad but maybe doing a comparison of notes is in order where folks share schematics and discuss the reason of why they are combining certain components together to get a specific tone. I was originally trained as an EE so that was where we'd usual'y start dissecting circuitry, i suspect people still do that even for simpler schematics. I realize that not everyone is an EE guy but some of the pedal builders here Stateside aren't either and many are hobbyists coming from a variety of backgrounds.

That said, I don't have anything against exploring a hobby and doing stuff to spread the love but when you're getting marketed as a guy who knows something when you can't even explain what you are doing -it gets kinda sketchy to defend that.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:40:12 PM by abyssinianson »
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
FM, given your knowledge and experience on what's out there, have you found any local builder that can deliver or you just haven't tried any of the builders' works? Maybe you can recommend any if you've tried any local build.

Offline caiLLORIN

Just for kicks. It'll be fun. :)

Offline metalmaster

I have to admit this is quite exciting. On another thread I admitted resigning to my bedroom and being mediocre and now I'm being challenged by this forum's biggest and loudest poser.

Sana matuloy. Sagot ko na talaga yung event, matuloy lang.

Pero I know pikon lang sya dahil di nya kayang i-substantiate yung mga pinagsasabi nya kaya yan naghahamon. Hamon de bola.

Firemodel55: Sa kamay mo bingengot yung Baker mo at lata ang Diezel mo. Yung Gil Yaron mo, sa mga kamay mo, magiging Gil Raon yan! Kahit anong hiyaw hiyaw mo dyan, lahat ng pedals sa thread na 'to masmaganda pa rin ang tone kesa sa tone mo! That's a fact. Disagree? Prove me wrong.
:wink:

Offline robo-rat

Quote from: challengeofthegobots on April 14, 2011, 11:57:38 AM

I have to admit this is quite exciting. On another thread I admitted resigning to my bedroom and being mediocre and now I'm being challenged by this forum's biggest and loudest poser.

Sana matuloy. Sagot ko na talaga yung event, matuloy lang.

Pero I know pikon lang sya dahil di nya kayang i-substantiate yung mga pinagsasabi nya kaya yan naghahamon. Hamon de bola.

Firemodel55: Sa kamay mo bingengot yung Baker mo at lata ang Diezel mo. Yung Gil Yaron mo, sa mga kamay mo, magiging Gil Raon yan! Kahit anong hiyaw hiyaw mo dyan, lahat ng pedals sa thread na 'to masmaganda pa rin ang tone kesa sa tone mo! That's a fact. Disagree? Prove me wrong.
[/quote]

necro qouting....  :?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:13:45 AM by robo-rat »

Offline freedom04

• Philmusicus Addictus
Ano na nga pala ang nangyari dun sa January 2012 event? Natuloy ba ung Gobots VS FM55? Haha!
RN. MD. General Surgeon. Bassist. Audiophile.
2 Elegee Custom 5-string Bass. 1979 Ibanez Musician Bass. Mono Vertigo.

Offline caiLLORIN

Ano na nga pala ang nangyari dun sa January 2012 event? Natuloy ba ung Gobots VS FM55? Haha!

From what I have heard, peace has been made from both sides. All is well, no worries. :)

Offline Extremist

Puro dada, review, criticism, buhat bangko. Basta may chance na maisingit nya na maganda yung gear nya at pangit yung inyo gagawin nya talaga eh. Nakakasawa makabasa ng mga post ni firemodel55 dito sa PhilMusic. Maglabas ka naman ng ebidensiya mo na maganda nga yung tunog ng pedals, guitar whatever mo oi! Hindi naman kailangan na tumugtog ka ng pyesa talaga dahil understood naman na hindi mo kaya diba..so kahit arpeggiated chords lang. And please...wag mo naman isagot na "video clips don't give my pedals justice BS", kasi kung talaga maganda yan - MAGANDA pa rin tunog nyan kahit sa clips.

Masyado kang self-proclaimed tone-king tinalo mo pa si Andy Timmons. Yan mga custom pedal builders natin, malaki ang contribution sa music scene. Sabihin man natin hindi uber ganda ang gawa nila, at least they provide decent and affordable pedals for the rest of us not jerks este rich kids. How bout you sir? Ano na ba naitulong mo? Your word per word review of gear doesn't count since in reality words don't explain tone. I'm sick of reading your hiyaw, magic and other flowery descriptive BS. If you really are that much of tone-king, show it to us! :razz: