hulika

Author Topic: Marshall Class 5  (Read 4689 times)

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
Marshall Class 5
« on: May 01, 2011, 12:37:51 AM »
Bakit wala sa JB nito?  Considering they have the MG's, and also carry the MA range?
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
Re: Marshall Class 5
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 03:46:52 AM »
lupet nito meyn naka try ako one time dito sa local guitar store... todo mo lang yung amp vol control then pwede mo na use yung guitar vol control for different colors ng distortion from clean to crunch to acdc ledzep aerosmith distortion type, no need for distortion pedals if your playing blues or classic rock...pwede siguro boost pedal for solos... medyo malakas din sya for 5watt amp....siguro mag cut through din sya sa mix :mrgreen:

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 03:55:22 AM »
tried it..not enough headroom as it is..need to close mic..blackstar ht-5 has more headroom..but if you dig no low end that much it..works..

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:59:49 AM »
tried it..not enough headroom as it is..need to close mic..blackstar ht-5 has more headroom..but if you dig no low end that much it..works..

+1 tried one also. Same thoughts
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 04:04:53 AM »
+1 tried one also. Same thoughts

the affordable marshall i like is the Haze, such a sweet amp

Offline v00doochi1d

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:41:02 AM »
bass guitar can do the job for low level bass sounds... kaya ok lang siguro kahit medyo kulang sa headroom ang class5, ang downside nya siguro eh kung makakasabay ba sya sa drums and base giutar... 5watts lang kasi.. pero nun try ko naman ok din parang malakas sya para sa 5watts.. crank ko kasi yung amp volume, pinagalitan tuluy ako ng sales associate.heheheh.. the first thing na nakakainlove ay yung tightness ng distortion ang maganda kasi saka yung original marshall sounds from the late 60s ang dating nung tunog, orig sound ng marshall na madidinig mo from late 60s to early 70s classic rock bands... :mrgreen:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 02:57:39 AM »
Reportedly, has overheating issues and tube rattle.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:40:22 AM »
Reportedly, has overheating issues and tube rattle.

lol and that brings us the marshall class 5 a total score of 5/10

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »
Well,I saw a class 5 at JB a week ago. Can't remember if the salesguy said 23,600 or 24,600 lol. Considering the rants on JB's markups,that would be good price right? These are typically 400USD retail. Still the same sentiments on tone by the previous posters? Although I've seen tech criticisms on MyLesPaul and other forums,I've read also about the actual design intent and 1st gen 'fixes' from the marshallvintagemodern forum peeps. So.. Im still on the fence.. Crossing my fingers.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
Well,I saw a class 5 at JB a week ago. Can't remember if the salesguy said 23,600 or 24,600 lol. Considering the rants on JB's markups,that would be good price right? These are typically 400USD retail. Still the same sentiments on tone by the previous posters? Although I've seen tech criticisms on MyLesPaul and other forums,I've read also about the actual design intent and 1st gen 'fixes' from the marshallvintagemodern forum peeps. So.. Im still on the fence.. Crossing my fingers.
Just bought one a week ago from jb, got it for 21k. What i got is the c5-01, newer version of the class 5, apparenly marshall has corrected all of its past issues. Eg. Rattling sounds etc.

The low power mode is a bonus
"If you want to play like the big boys, you've got to play what the big boys play"

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 01:14:25 AM »
its odd really they have the version available, it was during december that i got all pumped up and tried it with every available cab in the store (gc brookfield)..i guess if you like the gritty cleans thats ok, but the gain that these ad's tell you..it doesnt deliver that..it does look cool but ill put my money on something thats more useable (the new 333xl >:D)

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:21:09 AM »
its odd really they have the version available, it was during december that i got all pumped up and tried it with every available cab in the store (gc brookfield)..i guess if you like the gritty cleans thats ok, but the gain that these ad's tell you..it doesnt deliver that..it does look cool but ill put my money on something thats more useable (the new 333xl >:D)
Yup, u really have to crank it to 11, thats the fun part. People dont realize that the class 5 is a class a amp
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:22:26 AM by alvinratsim »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:42:05 AM »
Yup, u really have to crank it to 11, thats the fun part. People dont realize that the class 5 is a class a amp

yeah i guess i tried to pit it to my e-wave class a head-amp too, which to me had tons of tight and gain compared to the class 5. both 5 watters too with an efx loop..

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
oh it's a class A amp? didn't know that.

didn't bother much with this amp since as you guys mentioned the low headroom, and having the clean range cut in the mix is very important to me right now  :-P

no pic, no advise...

Offline maruzen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 11:51:15 AM »
how about the headphone output? any comments guys?
FS: Effects Pedals, Blackstar HT5-R - http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=302374.0

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »

headphone outs usually don't sound good.

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 01:10:33 PM »
great

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
Bakit wala sa JB nito?  Considering they have the MG's, and also carry the MA range?

JB Cubao. when i bought my MA andun siya sa harapan ko. hehehe
yada yada yada.....

Offline renz13

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
^may nakita rin akong class 5 sa JB moa :-D
Transactions: yahoo!, sinosimelo, pentagram x, BossingBoss, masterchoxter, r_chino18, Souljp21, Xelly, Atomo, steliocore, allanfig, captcalamares, cenchria

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
headphone outs usually don't sound good.
depends also. on modeling amps its a lot better cuz its designed for that application

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 08:58:50 PM »
Yeah at the time of the thread's posting wala nga sa mga JB. But now it seems available na! About the headphone output,it's there for low volume practicing.. But really,what class 5 users always seem to do is plug in a speaker cab there! I agree it usually sucks for actual headphones,but for the real reason why it's there,I think it's great to be able to crank up all-tube tone and not annoy neighbors. I wonder how silent it really is in that mode..

I'm not in it for the cleans either in so much as having tube dynamics and feel. 'Tis a marshall after all. And shaping up to be a modern favorite for low wattage plexi tones.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline maruzen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
thanks for the inputs. thinking whether this is the perfect bedroom/dormitory amp for me... simple, classy, portable... with a headphone out :)
FS: Effects Pedals, Blackstar HT5-R - http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=302374.0

Offline alvinratsim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:48 PM »
thanks for the inputs. thinking whether this is the perfect bedroom/dormitory amp for me... simple, classy, portable... with a headphone out :)
Not for the bedroom, still so loud for a 5 watter. This amp is class a, u have to crank the volume to get some gain, unless u live in a farm that wud be ok

Offline maruzen

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 10:12:49 PM »
Not for the bedroom, still so loud for a 5 watter. This amp is class a, u have to crank the volume to get some gain, unless u live in a farm that wud be ok

I was thinking of using it with the headphone for practice, and as amp for small gigs. although the thing holding me back is the lack of a drive channel... thanks for pointing the potential problems of a class A amp... unfortunately I live in a dormitory with 5 other occupants  :|

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »
Saw one at JB Music MOA. :money:
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.