hulika

Author Topic: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!  (Read 88715 times)

Offline ortigas

Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
Quote from: Tirso
I didnt get to jam as I got electrocuted when I held the railing outside Dredd. I was pretty shaken up so I sat at the bar beside some guy and had a drink. It turned out to be Wally Chamsay, head of Sony Music. So I spent the next couple of hours recovering with him and at the end of the night wound up getting a record deal. Funny how things work, eh?

Absolutely wonderful how some things work out, mate.

Offline miggyperp

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Golden Drum Kit
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2006, 07:49:37 PM »
Quote from: ortigas
Quote from: miggyperp
Sup Migs? It's your tokayo! Nice story meng! I remember that drum kit! It was my first one too! I got it off you but i had to pay for them! Haha! it was for Basti's first band which I know we'd rather forget about! Haha! Ingach bro!

P.S. You were talking about the Pearl set right?

Yeah, Migs, that's the kit! Remember the gig at the Lontoc's in San Juan the weekend before we started in Kalye? You were supposed to drum for sila Basti and MigMari in the band "Sin City" before the Razorback set but wala kang practice? Mwahahaha!  :lol: Di syempre, ako yung pumalo. Do you remeber the setlist of the guys then? Mga cover songs nyo?  :twisted:

Haha! Of course I remember that! Its etched in my mind forever man! Enter Sandman was the first song you made palo to! Then may mga You're So Vain cover of Faster Pussycat and stuff! Damn that was long ago...

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2006, 10:24:14 PM »
REALLY GREAT THREAD MAESTRO MIGUEL.... =D>

one of the best talaga...all out RAK EN ROL...still remember when razorback & wolfgang would collaborate as FLAMING HEMORRHOIDS... astig talaga....mabuhay kayo mga maestro... 8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline dizzychix76

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2006, 10:55:51 PM »
Quote from: haey2

one of the best talaga...all out RAK EN ROL...still remember when razorback & wolfgang would collaborate as FLAMING HEMORRHOIDS... astig talaga....mabuhay kayo mga maestro... 8)  8)  8)

Oh my GOD...that came out of the box...FLAMING HEMMOROIDS.  I remember first hearing the name and thinking, "You guys can't be SERIOUS"... :shock: Hahahaha
"It's not PMS, maybe I just don't like you"

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2006, 11:52:31 PM »
Quote from: dizzychix76

Oh my GOD...that came out of the box...FLAMING HEMMOROIDS.  I remember first hearing the name and thinking, "You guys can't be SERIOUS"... :shock: Hahahaha

i first saw this collaboration at peps alabang around mid 90's...my friend said that razorback would play there..so we went...and when it all started...razorback & wolfgang...whatta night...i was so hammered that night...well everytime razorback plays im wasted anyway...hehehe...

i also remember when razorback played at 70's bistro...and it packed at least 300 people in it...and there is a neighbor that always complains for the noise...which mostly happens when razorback is playing...ROCK N ROLL... 8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2006, 01:45:25 AM »
i also remember when razorback played at 70's bistro...and it packed at least 300 people in it...and there is a neighbor that always complains for the noise...which mostly happens when razorback is playing...ROCK N ROLL... 8)  8)  8)

70s bistro is the perfect venue for razorback. doon they morph into monsters eh! not sure about 300...exagg...150 siguro :) but you're right about the neighbor. i was in the gig where drt was playing before razorback when all of a sudden this angry neighbor jumps onstage and starts cursing the band. what a maniac! but in true rock fashion, the guys played on  :)
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline jeyvi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2006, 03:42:44 AM »
i was there last year dude... (if thats what haey2 was refering)...
the place was so freakin packed!

razorboys had to get a breather after 5 songs... just to go outside and breathe... coz its so damn hot and smoked from cigarettes!! brian was sweating so hard he's shining shirtless while playing drums! twas a great night! wish dave was there!

oh and 70's ran out of beer!

:twisted:
check out my band KONTRA
www.kontra.ph

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2006, 04:16:28 AM »
i think it was kevin who said that there is about 300 people in 70's at that time...basta sobra dami tao noon...hehehe...it actually broke attendance records for any act that performed at 70's...that was their first gig for a couple of months of absence playing live...that is why a lot came over to see them...

youre right jeyvi...70's was already buying beer & ice from the nearest convenience store that night...hehehe... 8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2006, 04:31:00 AM »
i think it was kevin who said that there is about 300 people in 70's at that time...basta sobra dami tao noon...hehehe...it actually broke attendance records for any act that performed at 70's...that was their first gig for a couple of months of absence playing live...that is why a lot came over to see them...

youre right jeyvi...70's was already buying beer & ice from the nearest convenience store that night...hehehe... 8)  8)  8)

ayan ba yung si manuel legarda ang nag guitar for david aguirre's parts ?

Offline haey2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2006, 04:42:16 AM »
Quote from: bugoy

oo bro..that was the first time that razorback came from their hiatus after dave left...8)  8)  8)
black moon creeping...

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2006, 10:35:53 AM »
meron nyang sa youtube.com...search ninyo razorback pinoy
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline toybitz

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2006, 12:11:36 PM »

oo bro..that was the first time that razorback came from their hiatus after dave left...8)  8)  8)

was this the 3 hour gig?  Yun may solo spot si Brian?  Tas napagusapan pa yun STD nakuha ni Chris kay Joey?
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline maxzboy

• Netizen Level
Kalye!!!!!!!! Razorback!!!!!!
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »
Hey Migs! Finally I get to share my great memories of kalye and Razorback! I was just in 3rd yr highschool when I started to go to Kalye so forgive me if I get some of the details wrong (and pls do correct me if Im wrong).

Well anyway there I was in veering towards the punk scene when all of a sudden I find myself in Kalye! My sister told me about the place and said, "May band dun pag sabado maingay, parang yung mga trip mo". At the time, I got my music fix only at those punk concerts held in different covered courts around the Metro, So finally a nearby place w/ a regular slot for a rock group. (Dredd was way too far for me at the time) Astig tlga 100 bucks gets you a "temporary tatoo" that says "CHECKED" on your wrist, and a piece paper that could eventually get you either 1 sisig and a beer, 2 beers and an order of fries, or a beer and a burger. Man I must've tried every combination that my Php100 consumable charge could get. I even had a burger once on pandesal coz apparently the kitchen ran out of buns! Php 150 lng ok na weekend ko, that already included around 5 sticks of smokes and my cab fare pauwi!

Razorback got me started on rumcoke too, literally! As a fan I was curious on what they where drinkin, and had to try it out for myself (thinking maybe if I drink this [gooey brown stuff], I get to be as good as them!  :D) I still have those cardsuit drink stirrers at my house today! Hahahaha. But damn it when they hiked the consumable charge to 150, the rumcokes got even smaller  :(

The first time I entered Kalye was literally like a scene from a movie, they were playing "Born to be Wild" when I walked in, the very first song I heard them play live. Cool talaga! At the time the band was set up near the door, you wont see them if you peep in from the outside but once your in, poota magugulat ka, katabi mo pala yung banda sa right mo! (they changed the floor set-up sometime afterwards, the area got a bit bigger, transferred the band to the opposite side of the place).  
I can still remember those Sheffield equipped Peavey amps on top of beer crates, The Tama drums that always had that distinctive crack/prack sound of the snare. To this day I still hold Kalye as the club which has the best sound ever. I think it was a guy named Mang Tony who was always at the control tweaking stuff to make sure they sound good. The gear, Louie's Ibanez Bass, Tirso's famous flying V, and sometimes he'd bring out a strat which I believe was made from parts of different guitars,  Dave's Les Paul, both axemen would always have a Wah pedal, one time I saw Tirso throw in a Boss Phaser in his set-up, but most of the time it was just a wah pedal then plugged straight to those Peaveys. Kevin . . .  well Kev had a notebook he would sometimes refer to for the lyrics. :D
Dave wore in brown LA Gear Shoes, Migs in Nikes, Kev I think wore Asics and Tirso and Louie always had boots on! And the shirts! Man I was always drooling when I saw their cool shirts! among others the notable ones were Tirso's apetite for destruction shirt and rolling stones shirts, mig's yellow "the who/tommy" shirt, louie had those metallica shirts (as depicted in the hebigat album cover) Man those were the days! Everybody would have either a beer or a rumcoke near them and Dave would have what I thought at the time was a screwdriver but turns out it was really just mango juice! I remember saying "[apple] pare foreigners pala tumutugtog tsaka tumatambay dito, buti naman 100 lang."  Then they would sing Laki sa Layaw, " Wow sikat din pala tong kantang to sa US, alam na alam nila ah." Then during set breaks I would hear them cursing in tagalog, "Aba ayos, ang galing pala magtagalog nitong mga to! Parang pinoy na talaga" Hahahaha!  :D

The songs! We always thought Pepe the Hepe was from JDLC till hebigat came out, these guys made pinoy rock sound so heavy and cool, and I think most of the people today learned to appreciate Pinoy classic rock solely because of Razorback, I know I did! Palengke, Beepbeep, Pagbabalik ng Kwago, Laki sa Layaw, Harina, Black Dog!! (actually it was Kagatan . .  Blak Dug Blak dug . . . . ) Hahahahaha!  :D
Other covers, Slowride, Flowerchild, Burning Tree, the real Black Dog, War Pigs, Sunshine of Your Love, Steppenwolf, Jumpin Jack Flash among others, and sometimes they would even do Sandman and Nirvana's Breed. The jams and guest bands: Gnash, The Breed, Bonehead, The Youth, Rizal Underground, Aftermath (Iron Maiden grabe plakadong plakado!!!!!) and of course Wolfback and Razorgang nights wherein they would have 2 kits for Migs and Wolf so they could pound simultaneously and Manuel would join in as a third guitarist as well. Migs was the only drummer I saw who could walk in the bar with his leg in a cast, walking aided by a pair of crutches but would still sound the same when sitting behind the drums. Akala mo tuloy he was faking his injuries eh!
Migs, was it really that hot behind the kit, or did you just put the fan their to get that cool "drumming against the wind" look? Hehehehe 8)          

Set breaks you can find most of the people having a smoke outside (on the spot where Gweilos is right now) that was like the designated smoking area (although at the time you could still smoke indoors in makati) and every once in a while you'd see some guys in a row pissing on what used to be an empty lot in front of Kalye. It was so funny coz one time somebody shouted "Wow Hagibis!!!!!" while we were taking a leak. The bouncers were pretty cool too, forgot their names though but I think the one with the curly hair (Jolly I think is his name) is some sort of magician/illusionist now.

I think what made Kalye great as a venue was the fact that the band was enjoying themselves as much as the crowd did, it was an intimate set up but still had enough space when the kids would want to rock out and go wild. Another thing I remember about Kalye was that everybody I brought there to see Razorback came back at least twice to see them again, and all had great comments for the band.

I jope I didnt bore you guys with this post, but when I read this thread it really brought back a trunkfull of memories from the old days!
Thanks Migs! Im still looking for our old kalye pics!

Max
Thank you for calling Smint together w/ Pentel,
Why should I help you?

Offline ortigas

Re: Kalye!!!!!!!! Razorback!!!!!!
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2006, 10:38:15 PM »
Quote from: maxzboy
At the time the band was set up near the door, you wont see them if you peep in from the outside but once your in, poota magugulat ka, katabi mo pala yung banda sa right mo! (they changed the floor set-up sometime afterwards, the area got a bit bigger, transferred the band to the opposite side of the place).

I think it was a guy named Mang Tony who was always at the control tweaking stuff to make sure they sound good.

Hey Macs boy! Salamat sa mga kwento...you hit the spot with alot of your memories. The stage setup though started out on the far end, then by the door later on, then some time later it went back to the far end. Yes, it was Mang Tony who always kept us sounding great!  :) Jolly wasn't one of the bouncers. He just pretended to be one, the illusionist that he is. The goons up front were Bombi and Dino. Dino went on to become head goon of Wolfgang. They were friends of ours and when the management said they needed help controlling the rowdy folks we presented them and they were hired on the spot...scary looking folks that they were.  8)

Offline ortigas

« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2006, 10:41:14 PM »
...and I didn't have a cast on but was marching around nga with those crutches for a month or two and damned if my busted left leg was going to stop me from drumming. All I had to do was put it on the hi hat pedal and I was good to go! Hehehe... :D Of course the electric fan was for the Michael Jackson wind effect!  :lol:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2006, 11:20:35 PM »

kamusta naman yung pag gitara ni manuel legarda sa mga parts ni david ? eheheh

Offline ortigas

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2006, 09:46:19 AM »

'Di ka ba nanood, bugoy? Kahit kailan? Kawawa ka naman. Tsk, tsk. :roll:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2006, 02:12:35 PM »
Quote from: ortigas

'Di ka ba nanood, bugoy? Kahit kailan? Kawawa ka naman. Tsk, tsk. :roll:

hindi pa w/ manuel legarda ehehehe gusto ko nga sana eh kaso no idea kung kelan mga gig nila

Offline jeyvi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2006, 03:22:42 PM »
join ka sa razorboars mailing list bugoy! napopost sila gigsked dun!

i've seen manoy play with the boars and he kicks ass! my favorite will always be 70's bistro gigs... he did voodoo who do and the guitar solo was note for note! astig! great guitar player! one of my idols!

:twisted:
check out my band KONTRA
www.kontra.ph

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2006, 06:04:09 PM »
paano mag join diyan sa mailing list na yan ? hehehe

Offline jeyvi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2006, 11:39:55 PM »
check out my band KONTRA
www.kontra.ph

Offline xheldon

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2006, 04:22:33 AM »
wow sarap dito ah!!!

the senyors sharing the wealth!!!
maraming salamats...

parang gusto ko pumunta sa kalye mamaya..
sabado pa naman ngayon..

wonder whos playing..haaaaaaay

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2006, 02:01:30 PM »
uy xheldon!

balita?nga pala...matagal nang defunct ang kalye.... :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #148 on: September 18, 2006, 04:32:12 AM »
any stories about the RATM gig?

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #149 on: September 18, 2006, 03:47:26 PM »
Oh man, I'm loving this thread!  Keep 'em coming!  Thanks a lot, Miguel, for sharing all these stories.  You guys can write one whole book about all of this!  

This thread sure brought back lots of my high school memories.  David Aguirre and I were batchmates in LSGH (HS '96).  Back then, he was one of the coolest dudes in school.  At such a young age, he's already the kick-ass guitar player of a kick-ass rock band.  And he's one of the guitar gods in school.  I am privileged to have met him and hung out with him, and even jam with him on some occasions.

My musician friends and I often jam Razorback songs.  Even when I entered college, I still met new musician friends who like playing Razorback tunes.  I enjoy grooving along to your music, whether I'm behind the drumkit or when I'm just chilling out, listening to Hebigat Sounds Vol. 1.  

Thanks to Razorback for all the memories, and for inspiring rockers like me.  8)