hulika

Author Topic: Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!  (Read 87828 times)

Offline ortigas

Razorback's Origin...and on-going saga!
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2006, 10:36:48 PM »
Nice pix, tony2tone... :wink:

Offline dizzychix76

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2006, 10:37:17 PM »
You said it...I need a red horse (or a rum coke!!!) hahaha.
Man, I've missed you guys...we need a reunion (kasal ni Miguel!!!)
"It's not PMS, maybe I just don't like you"

Offline ortigas

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2006, 10:38:14 PM »
When Razorback got the news that we were to open for Metallica in 1993 we were thrilled sh*tless! Patrick Pulumbarit had something to do with that and he went on to become the manager of Wolfgang at one point and many other big bands including Greyhoundz. That was like a dream come true us, opening for a major international act, and also being Metallica fans. Aside from fronting for an awesome band, we were going to play in front of more than 20,000 of our kababayans so we prepared some pinoy rock classics to kick out the jams. No, we had no originals that we’d play regularly yet at that time.

We arrive at the venue, the Ultra football field, with some friends in tow and were given our patches to stick onto ourselves. We were hanging around the bleachers, having beers in the afternoon, and listening to the roadies sound check the equipment. T*ng Ina! It was loud and clear from where we were perched.

After a bit we decide to go down to the stage and see what’s up and when we got there, this humungous biker looking guy with a big beard, glasses and a parrot tattoo on his calf comes up to our friend with the cameras and says, “Where are you going with that, little lady?” and Katz says, “Uh…I’m with the band.” The guy goes, “The band huh? And who might you be?” So we try to cheerfully say “We’re Razorback. We’re the opening act.” He then says, “So where are your patches???” and I pull mine out and say “Here!” So he gets loud and says, “Well put ‘em on!” And put ‘em on we did…right away. Hehe.

We later learned his name was Bob and he was the coolest roadie out there. He was head roadie at that. Apparently he had been around the world with some of the biggest acts in rock and roll.  Months later, when we got the opening slot for Bon Jovi at the Rizal baseball stadium, we were sitting in the bleachers having a few and checking out the scene while they were setting up the stage and we spot this huge guy on the stage and I noticed he had a tattoo on his calf so I say “Isn’t that Bob? It is!!!” and we start running to the stage screaming “Bob! Bob! Hey man!” and he looks at us with that face that says, “Oh no…not you again.” He greeted us warmly and we did promise to be good boys and not be in anybody’s way. He ended up on the cover of the tabloids, in the middle of the stage with a huge 2*4 threatening anyone who came near, which featured the riot that went on since Bon Jovi cut their set short cause of the heavy rains. I think Tirso brought him a copy the next night which made him chuckle at the notoriety.

So back to Ultra…

I think we were all so nervous of what was to go down that night that we all had our baon of toma and whatnot but we saw that they had a couple of huge coolers of beer for Metallica too and we would grab some from there every so often.

Finally we were told that it was time and so they told us to go set up. Once we set foot onstage, the throngs of people just roared and it made all my hair stand on end. I was sh*tting bricks but was giddy as well. When we nodded to say we were set, they shut the lights in the entire arena. Damn! Whew! “Here we go!” I thought. I did the opening drum lines of “Nadapa sa Arina” by the Juan Dela Cruz Band…blag-dug, blog-dug, blug blugudud, bang! All the lights went up and the thousands were going nuts! Wow, what can I say…it was magic! All of us in Razorback were just staring at each other in disbelief while playing the material on auto-pilot. We had such a blast! We kept saying afterwards that this was what we wanted to do for the rest of our lives.

Having finished our short set, I ran off to the car with my other kumpare Jay Ortega to calm my nerves. We were parked down in back of the stage. When we got back, we joined our bro’s and grabbed more beer from the coolers then just went into the throng of people, just walking back and forth in the middle sections of the audience. People kept shouting at us “Razorback! Galing!” and they’d give us some of their booze and pass us their joints. My wife tells me that this was the first time she had ever seen me in person. She was still very young and she was with her older sister in the crowd.

Later, when Jason Newstead was doing his bass solo, Jay and I went backstage again to partake of the band beer. We grabbed the last 2 cans of San Miguel Beer and were watching the show from the back. Lars came off the drum kit and went straight to the coolers and was digging in there then he stood straight up and screamed “Where the f*ck’s the beer?!?!”  :shock: Jay and I put the last 2 cans we were holding under our shirts and marched back to the car for more smokes while Lars fumed. Mwahaha!  :lol: We finished Metallica’s beer! Someone was sent to go get more.

Rioting broke out where the middle sections were throwing their monoblock chairs into the expensive ticket sections. Fights broke out. The bleachers were doing the “wave”. Metallica played for like 3 hours! Whatta night! What a blessing to be there. What a great honor it was to have shared the stage with the biggest heavy metal band in the world… :wink:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2006, 10:45:56 PM »
did you guys had a chance to hang out w/ the guys from the band (metallica) after or before the concert?

Offline ortigas

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2006, 10:51:04 PM »
Quote from: bugoy
did you guys had a chance to hang out w/ the guys from the band (metallica) after or before the concert?

Sadly, no. Only Jason Newstead came out in the afternoon to check out the equipment and talk with the road manager and I think only Patrick Pulumbarit was lucky enough to meet him at that time as he was bullsh*tting with the road manager guy right then and there. Remeber, we had to be on our best rocker behaviour and not get in anybody's way...or maybe they'd kick our butts outta there.

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2006, 10:54:50 PM »
i'm sure metallica wouldn't let you guys use their gears, right ? who provided your gears for that concert ?

Offline ortigas

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2006, 11:15:22 PM »
Also...Jason did come back to Manila after the tour and he even went and hung out at Club Dredd and jammed onstage with Wolf and some of the guys.  :wink:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2006, 11:18:07 PM »
i'm sure metallica wouldn't let you guys use their gears, right ? who provided your gears for that concert ?

I really don't remember who provided the local gear and I don't think any of us really cared.  :P

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2006, 11:23:37 PM »
Quote from: ortigas

I really don't remember who provided the local gear and I don't think any of us really cared.  :P

:lol:

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2006, 11:27:07 PM »
"tirso ripoll" <raysorbex@hotmail.com> <-- was that really Tirso Ripoll answering to my emails 6 or 7 years ago ?

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2006, 01:56:08 AM »
hi Miguel! thanks for bringing nostalgia fever dito sa rock forum. galing! ok 'to when i watch the next Razorback gig. bistado na ang mga sikreto hehehe. :)

to Tirso: play naman "Tikmanangulan" soon. I always watch your gigs :) haven't heard it played live EVER...

Ok, enough chitchat...continue boys...:D
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
OT nang konti
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2006, 02:35:04 AM »

Razorback played a song called “Burning Tree” by a band of the same name which no one knew. They had one album under Epic Records which to my knowledge was never followed up.

did you saying 'burning tree' ?  the only burning tree i know is a power trio with Craig Ross (Kravitz) on bass and Marc Ford (Black Crowes) on guitar and vocals.  same band?  [strawberry] cool bro.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2006, 03:16:47 AM »
Quote from: dopedeeva
hi Miguel! thanks for bringing nostalgia fever dito sa rock forum. galing! ok 'to when i watch the next Razorback gig. bistado na ang mga sikreto hehehe. :)

to Tirso: play naman "Tikmanangulan" soon. I always watch your gigs :) haven't heard it played live EVER...

Naku DD, alam ko na kung sino yung "preferred razorback donor" na pinagsasabi mo....   8-[  [see blue rats thread, p.8]  :-k  :lol:

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2006, 06:55:13 AM »
hehe...makakarating sa donor yan, madaling hanapin dito sa LA yan...hehe, joke.. :lol:
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline ortigas

Re: OT nang konti
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2006, 07:05:26 AM »
Quote from: tele-tubby

Razorback played a song called “Burning Tree” by a band of the same name which no one knew. They had one album under Epic Records which to my knowledge was never followed up.

did you saying 'burning tree' ?  the only burning tree i know is a power trio with Craig Ross (Kravitz) on bass and Marc Ford (Black Crowes) on guitar and vocals.  same band?  **** cool bro.

The one and only! Not too sure about Craig Ross on the album but it sure was Marc Ford on guitars who I was priviledged to see with the Black Crowes last year at the Long Beach Blues Festival in California. Went with Dave, Wrissa, Wolf, Shelley and Chris and we jumped the baricade during the encore and got as close to the stage as we could. Pucha, parang mga bata pa rin!  :lol: I don't have the liner notes of the Burning Tree album (album is on my iPod and CD is with my stash in Manila) and I can't remember the bass players' name. May have been Craig Ross. Tirso has a copy so maybe he can shed some light. It was Marc Ford, the bass player, and Doni Gray (the Pinoy). Doni and Marc did the vocals...

Offline ortigas

« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2006, 07:14:10 AM »

hi Miguel! thanks for bringing nostalgia fever dito sa rock forum. galing! ok 'to when i watch the next Razorback gig. bistado na ang mga sikreto hehehe.

You're most welcome, DD!  :)

Offline ortigas

« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2006, 07:16:35 AM »
Quote from: blue buddha

Naku DD, alam ko na kung sino yung "preferred razorback donor" na pinagsasabi mo....   8-[  [see blue rats thread, p.8]  :-k  :lol:

Nyahaha!!!  :lol: Good one BB! B2D: Mali yung tinutukoy mong donor. Ayun na sa ibabaw yung pangalan, oh!  :wink:

Offline ortigas

« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2006, 08:42:53 AM »
Quote from: lefty
This thread is Gold!!

I need a Red Horse!

Kapatid! Pag-uwi ko...promise mag pa-party tayo. I'll buy you your red horse... :D

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2006, 09:48:56 AM »

After a bit we decide to go down to the stage and see what’s up and when we got there, this humungous biker looking guy with a big beard, glasses and a parrot tattoo on his calf comes up to our friend with the cameras and says, “Where are you going with that, little lady?” and Katz says, “Uh…I’m with the band.” The guy goes, “The band huh? And who might you be?”

Katz? Was that Katz Tuason of NU (later)?
Were there any photos of the Metallica gig?

Regarding the story of Jason Newstead rocking out in Club Dredd, I saw the pictures of that jam in Eddie Boy Escudero's files. He looked pretty intense as always (Jason, not Eddie Boy). I wonder if Eddie Boy still has those.

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2006, 10:00:14 AM »

hanggang dito ba naman  #-o
"When I see waste here, I feel angry on the inside. I don't approve of myself getting angry. But it's something you can't help after seeing Ethiopia." - Mother Teresa

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2006, 10:01:34 AM »
Quote from: blues2death
hehe...makakarating sa donor yan, madaling hanapin dito sa LA yan...hehe, joke.. :lol:

isa ka pa  [-X

Offline dopedeeva

« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2006, 10:03:07 AM »

Nyahaha!!!  :lol: Good one BB! B2D: Mali yung tinutukoy mong donor. Ayun na sa ibabaw yung pangalan, oh!  :wink:

bwahahaha!!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2006, 10:04:04 AM »
I don't have an interesting Kalye stories to tell, other than the tale that my pogijazz band used to play in that place when it was still called "Cafe Alvarado" (for the young 'uns, C. Palanca St in Makati used to be called Alvarado St.) . Our pogijazz bass player was Carlos Balcells and back then he still had real hair  :shock: !!

But I do remember seeing Razorback (and Wolfgang) back in 1995 as two of the bands that Dixie Mabanta booked for the "Mexicali Saturday Blues Night" every Sat at Mexicali Alabang. I was with the "Mexicali House Band" (that later became the Mexicali Blues Band) we had Joey Puyat and Walter Wirth of Petrified Anthem on guitars and it was a blast. Every week the house band did one set and then one of the bands Dixie booked would go on. This would be Jun Lopito, KO Jones, Blue Rats (I think! Y'know I cant recall but given the timeline they must've played), Advent Call (with Karl Roy on vocals) and Razorback did a couple of weeks. Everybody ended the night really drunk and the poor waiters would mop up afterwards, the pristine fastfood restaurant was in shambles every Saturday. That's the first time I saw Tirso with his Flying V, and I remember Dave was just a wide eyed little bugger who always ogled Joey Puyat's playing during his solos. At one point David was thoroughly inebriated and yelled out "Joey Puyat is God!!!" to no one in paticular. Well that's my Razorback flashback. 8)

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2006, 10:45:45 AM »
Quote from: mannyamador
John, I'll be in Manila on Thursday night. My brother's father-in-law just passed away so I'll be visiting at Loyola Memorial Chapels on EDSA. I'll call you when I get to Makati. I'll leave for Cebu on Saturday. But I'll be back again on Sept 18-21 and Sept 25-30. Wierd schedule. Work-related! We should have a jam and a bike ride! Too bad I don't have a bike over there though.

Pucha 'tong si Amadog, oh...dito ba naman in-email si Dyanni???  :lol:

hahaha!

on a serious note, Condolence Manny..
Are You Experienced

Offline lefty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2006, 10:48:20 AM »
Quote from: dizzychix76
You said it...I need a red horse (or a rum coke!!!) hahaha.
Man, I've missed you guys...we need a reunion (kasal ni Miguel!!!)

It's so ON!!  :twisted:
Are You Experienced