hulika

Author Topic: Would You Spend More Than Php 4k for a Distortion or OD Pedal?  (Read 18382 times)

Offline edgie

• Veteran Member
Re: Would You Spend More Than Php 4k for a Distortion or OD Pedal?
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »
I'm in the yes camp. Reason being is that for me, among the different types of pedals, dirt boxes are the most important and most crucial for electric guitar playing.  Para kasi sa akin, hindi lang sound yung basehan kundi yung response ng pedal lalo kung volume pot rider yung player specially those who are into blues/blues-rock/classic rock.  Usually naman, yun ang target market ng mga boutique companies. So I guess depende sa tugtugan.

I saw a lot of replies that they'd rather save up for an amp if the expenses would be beyond 4k. Matagal nako wala jan sa Pinas(pauwi-uwi na lang) pero dati natatandaan ko, most nung mga kilala ko na gigging musicians, backline amps lang ang nagagamit nila. I would want to enjoy my tone at all volumes hindi lang pag naka-crank yung amp.

May nagsabi rin na bibili na lang sila ng tubes. In my experience when I had my THD Flexi 50 Head, minimal lang ang changes na kayang i-offer ng tubes sa sound, believe it or not. For those who are not familiar with that amp, it can accept most types of tubes for power and preamps so medyo nagexperiment din ako. On my 3rd set of tubes, narealize ko na nagbabago lang ng konti yung feel but the sound still remains bascially the same kasi nga same cicruit pa rin naman. Meron lang konting higpit sa bass, etc. na kaya naman habulin sa EQ. Honestly, kung nasa bahay ka lang and you don't play above vacuum-cleaner levels of decibels, hindi mo maappreciate ng husto yung value ng power tubes. And that is kung designed pa yung tube amp mo na magbreak ng maaga. Pano na lang kung 100w pa yung amp mo?

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2012, 07:38:24 PM »
Is there a finality to the yes and no here? Because I've foolishly said never to quite a few things these past ten or so years of picking gear. I can mention this right at the top of my head:

1. In 1998, I got my first Strat, and thought to myself I'll never go back to humbuckers. Now, all but one of my electrics have humbuckers on them.

2. Around 2004, I said I'll NEVER buy a tube amp because I didn't believe it had anything to offer that my Valvestate back then could not. Fast forward to 2012 -- I own a Vox AC30CC1 and dream of a Marshall JVM210C.

3. Around 2005, I told my friends how I hated Boss pedals. I thought they were overpriced (hindi pa uso dito yung boutique pedals at the time). My personal goal was to never have one on my pedalboard. Fast forward to 2012 -- I have three on my board, another one as a backup and I'm set to buy another one this week.

4. In 2009, I got my Vox. I SERIOUSLY doubted ever going back to digital multi-effects again and started planning my ugprade path towards boutique pedals. Right now, my board has an Adrenalinn and a Line 6 M9.

Of course, many of you will say that you guys are in different situations than me. And maybe you're right. But all I'm saying is that whether you like it or not today, things do change in time.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline gnarly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »
if that will catapult you to the pinnacle of rockdom, then why not? :idea:

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2012, 08:59:48 PM »
I love my bd2... I want my ds1 back... Still love boutique stuff, pero ang mentalidad ko sa pag gamit nag iiba haha  :-\

Offline bulldozer1369

« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:58 AM »
yes... i will.. and i did.... kc hirap ako magdala ng amp sa gig (walang sariling sasakyan)... at madalas D.I.Y. (kahit anung amp basta tumutunog hehehe) ang gamit sa eksena tugtugan namin its more about the statement type of gig.. hardcore/punk scene... so i spent more than 4k sa  dirt pedal ko para makuha (o malapit) sa tunog na gusto ko... and after years of searching and trying different dirt pedals... i found the right pedal for me... created by one of our own pedal builder here in philmusic.

Friends/Family/Forever!