hulika

Author Topic: Why is it that you have an Eraserheads tribute album...  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
Why is it that you have an Eraserheads tribute album...
« on: September 13, 2006, 06:06:33 AM »
...and an Apo Hiking Society tribute record as well but no Wolfgang tribute? I'll tell you why. Most guitarists today are either too lazy or too complacent to practice leads so only a few guitarists are able to play on the same level as Manuel Legarda, which I find really sad. More people should get into kickass lead guitar playing because to tell you frankly, music from these new bands is just plain boring.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:25:38 AM by Santo Muerte »

Offline zasam_4

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why is it that you have an Eraserheads tribute album...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 08:27:55 AM »
Quote from: Santo Muerte
...and an Apo Hiking Society tribute record as well but no Wolfgang tribute? I'll tell you why. Most guitarists today are either too lazy or too complacent to practice leads so only a few guitarists are able to play on the same level with Manuel Legarda, which I find really sad. More people should get into kickass lead guitar playing because to tell you frankly, music from these new bands is just plain boring.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
wala ako ng mga albums na yan!  :twisted:

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »
...and an Apo Hiking Society tribute record as well but no Wolfgang tribute? I'll tell you why. Most guitarists today are either too lazy or too complacent to practice leads so only a few guitarists are able to play on the same level with Manuel Legarda, which I find really sad. More people should get into kickass lead guitar playing because to tell you frankly, music from these new bands is just plain boring.

IMHO, madami din tulad ni manoy na always wanted to have a lead solo guitar part in a song. Madami magaling dyan. Kaso I think the industry is the problem. Wala silang market. Unless sikat ka na at stablished na banda. To name a few, Razorback & The Dawn. Ilan lang ba tayo na may gusto nun. Unlike sa Eheadz n APO na selling like fishballs! Kung mayaman lang ako as in super dami pera, mag tayo ako ng rec. comp. kahit di kumita ayus na! Indie style!
ton2x

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 10:02:55 AM »
Quote from: ton2xx

IMHO, madami din tulad ni manoy na always wanted to have a lead solo guitar part in a song. Madami magaling dyan. Kaso I think the industry is the problem. Wala silang market. Unless sikat ka na at stablished na banda. To name a few, Razorback & The Dawn. Ilan lang ba tayo na may gusto nun. Unlike sa Eheadz n APO na selling like fishballs! Kung mayaman lang ako as in super dami pera, mag tayo ako ng rec. comp. kahit di kumita ayus na! Indie style!

Baka nga in 5 years magkaroon pa ng Cueshe tribute album e.   ](*,)

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »
Quote from: Revenge of The Syph
meron ng woflgang tribute ito track list

1. Love & Despair - Slapshock
2. Halik Ni Judas - Greyhoundz
3. What Grows in Your Garden
4. I.O.U. - Kamikazee
5. Darkness Fell - Cheese
6. Hell Looks - Erectus
7. Very Free - Gnash
8. Beast - Dahong Palay
9. Man '98 - Battery
10. Atomica - Skychurch
11. Arise - Badburn
12. Bought & Sold - Virus
13. As Oceans - Anesthesia
14. Cast of Clowns - Gloc9 with Basti Artadi
15. Sanctified - Ragasa
16. Left Alone - FuseBoxx
17. Weightless - Skrotum
18. Natutulog Kong Mundo - Pepe Smith

Where did you get this info?
ton2x

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 11:08:58 AM »
That was revealed to be a hoax. There is NO Wolfgang tribute album. Regarding tributes in general, to my knowledge there was a Hotdog, Eraserheads, APO tribute, and  there is supposed to be a VST tribute coming up (yecch). The common denominator are the songs and the mass commercial appeal (all of them topped the sales charts) - nothing to do with replicating riffs or solos. A good pop song can lend itself to creative interpretation - with metal songs there is usually just one way to go.

I know a producer who is laying the groundwork for a JDLC tribute album though, that is what I'm looking forward to.

Offline ton2xx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
That was revealed to be a hoax. There is NO Wolfgang tribute album. Regarding tributes in general, to my knowledge there was a Hotdog, Eraserheads, APO tribute, and  there is supposed to be a VST tribute coming up (yecch). The common denominator are the songs and the mass commercial appeal (all of them topped the sales charts) - nothing to do with replicating riffs or solos. A good pop song can lend itself to creative interpretation - with metal songs there is usually just one way to go.

I know a producer who is laying the groundwork for a JDLC tribute album though, that is what I'm looking forward to.

Okay yan JDCL tribute na yan! Sa tingin nyo bakit kaya under rated ang metal sa pinas. Talo palagi sa pop when it comes to the masses. Sa 50 tao na na meet ko 5-10 lang mahilig sa metal. Isa pa mung pumunta sila MArty Friedman, Nuno, etc.  sa pinas maliit lang venue. Pero pag PCD, BEP, etc lalaki ng venue at talagang bumebenta? Rare breed na ba tayong mahilig sa ganitong musika. Gone are the days na mapapakinggan mo sa Radyo mga kanta ng kahit Metallica nalang. And gone are the days na we would wait for the lead guitar solo of the lead guitarist! What do you think?
ton2x

Offline daemonite

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 12:37:04 PM »
Quote from: ton2xx
Quote from: pinoymusika

Okay yan JDCL tribute na yan! Sa tingin nyo bakit kaya under rated ang metal sa pinas. Talo palagi sa pop when it comes to the masses. Sa 50 tao na na meet ko 5-10 lang mahilig sa metal. Isa pa mung pumunta sila MArty Friedman, Nuno, etc.  sa pinas maliit lang venue. Pero pag PCD, BEP, etc lalaki ng venue at talagang bumebenta? Rare breed na ba tayong mahilig sa ganitong musika. Gone are the days na mapapakinggan mo sa Radyo mga kanta ng kahit Metallica nalang. And gone are the days na we would wait for the lead guitar solo of the lead guitarist! What do you think?

alam niyo kung bakit talo ang mga rock songs sa pinas rin? it's those [strawberry] radio stations man... gusto na lang nila parati masa, masa, masa. hindi raw kikita ang radio station pag hindi masa. buti pa NU. It's the only radio station who supports our industry. Dati rin meron ganyang type ng station dito sa pangasinan, but it converted rin eventually sa masa station. kaya walang natututunan ang mga kabataan sa music. well, that's what i think anyway.
Drummer / Keyboardist
PrimeApes / Chuckoy Vicuņa Combo
https://soundcloud.com/daemon-keys

Offline toybitz

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 04:25:06 PM »

In my humblest opinion, there are a lot of guys out there who could solo better and play cleaner than Manoy.  Even sound a lot better too.

I am so much a fan of Manoy's riffs and rhythm though. He's also very accommodating and humble.  Easy to make friends with.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 11:40:57 PM »
Quote from: Revenge of The Syph
meron ng woflgang tribute ito track list

1. Love & Despair - Slapshock
2. Halik Ni Judas - Greyhoundz
3. What Grows in Your Garden
4. I.O.U. - Kamikazee
5. Darkness Fell - Cheese
6. Hell Looks - Erectus
7. Very Free - Gnash
8. Beast - Dahong Palay
9. Man '98 - Battery
10. Atomica - Skychurch
11. Arise - Badburn
12. Bought & Sold - Virus
13. As Oceans - Anesthesia
14. Cast of Clowns - Gloc9 with Basti Artadi
15. Sanctified - Ragasa
16. Left Alone - FuseBoxx
17. Weightless - Skrotum
18. Natutulog Kong Mundo - Pepe Smith

Sabi na nga ba nung nakita ko ang pangalan na "Slapshock" at "Gloc9 w/ Basti Atardi" ay japeyks ito. Langhiya ka, furor. Pero parang magandang concept ang pakantahin kay Pepe Smith ang "Natutulog Kong Mundo", complete w/ drunk/stoned vocals. "Aaang natuutuulooog koong mundoooh...". Hahaha.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 09:44:12 AM »
Bump for more relevant discussion.

Offline cowboi_way

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 11:18:55 PM »
just borrowed orginal dvd . nagtaka ako bakit wala yung the dawn?

anyways..isinoli ko na, and i dont want to copy it. di naman masyadong ...

fender standard strat (standard lang)squire by fender strat cali (crap)fender fm 25dsp (crappy)marshall ms-2r (great sounding amp, cool od)yamaha fx370c (ok na rin)kahon - maestro ( nakita sa mag used by escueta)line 6 - floor pod ( yeah  ! )
fender-dc60

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 08:09:01 PM »
kailangan ba talaga lagi may tribute album bawat banda..eh di gawa na rin tayo ng rivermaya tribute album tapos maririnig mo ung gasgas na 214 kakantahin ni luke mejares or awit ng kabataan kakantahin ng shamrock ang panget nun...kung ako tatanungin niyo di bale nang walang tribute albums ung mga bands mas gusto ko pa ung laging may lumalabas na new bands na may bagong tunog at original compositions at least mas interesting sila pakinggan kaysa mag recycled na mga gasgas na songs mas ok pa rin ung mga artists na may original compositions na pinasikat nila on their own way rather ung mag benefit sila sa gawa ng iba

Offline khaffalmhoukz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 04:46:36 PM »
Posted on: March 05, 2007, 08:09:01 PMPosted by: James_Animagi 
Insert Quote
kailangan ba talaga lagi may tribute album bawat banda..eh di gawa na rin tayo ng rivermaya tribute album tapos maririnig mo ung gasgas na 214 kakantahin ni luke mejares or awit ng kabataan kakantahin ng shamrock ang panget nun...kung ako tatanungin niyo di bale nang walang tribute albums ung mga bands mas gusto ko pa ung laging may lumalabas na new bands na may bagong tunog at original compositions at least mas interesting sila pakinggan kaysa mag recycled na mga gasgas na songs mas ok pa rin ung mga artists na may original compositions na pinasikat nila on their own way rather ung mag benefit sila sa gawa ng iba 

+1000000000 :-D

learn from the previous "tribute" albums. We may hold Wolfgang, JDLC, or the Dawn in a pedestal... more than the "commercialized" ones. But even the alternative rock/pop rock "fanatics" weren't very pleased with the albums that they conceptualized. I hear rants for "BINABOY NG CUESHE ang HARD TO BELIEVE" or "GINAWANG GOSPEL NG SOUTH BORDER ANG WITH A SMILE" or "L****** Kitchie/Shamrock/Sponge/Sound/(insert your choice of band here), hindi binigyan ng justice yung (insert APO or E-Heads song here)". One even ridiculed at the "hoax" concept of the "Wolfgang" tribure album, when he saw Slapshock on the lineup of bands (a band already considered hardcore by alt rock standards). Baka mabanas lang din tayo parepareho sa magiging tribute sa kanila ng mga bands ngayon (which I quote na mei nagsabi na lame na ang mga bands ngayon). Maybe it's time to appreciate the original songs as it is. When I saw the E-Heads tribute, I told to myself, "Sana di na gawan ng sequel 'to. Baka True Faith or Frio naman ang gumawa ng role na ginawa ng Cueshe sa naunang album". Pa'no pa kaya ang mga nakaka-appreciate sa Wolfgang, JDLC, or the Dawn, kung ma-provide na naman tayo ng isang "under-our-standards-cause-they-dont-gine-justice-to-the-songs" album. At baka pag dumating nga yung ganung album eh... ewan. As quoted by Ely Buendia about the E-heads tribute album, "Nasa scene pa kami. Maybe it's a but too early for a tribute album"

"I found the best
forget the rest
erase it replace it
never duplicate it
cause institutions are boring
THERE"S NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THE REAL THING"
-Ely buendia, Superproxy 2k6 (mantakin mo naman, ipasok ba ang saloobin nya tungkol sa album dun mismo sa isa sa mga kanta sa tribute album. what do u think?)

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »

Wolfgang tribute yeah!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 11:25:51 AM »
Dapat din magka-tribute album ang Parokya Ni Edgar.  Tapos puro Christian acts ang nasa album.  O kaya MYMP doing Chikinini.

Offline Santo Muerte

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 02:24:48 AM »
Bumping for relevance.

Offline Endshiftresign!

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 01:14:34 AM »
IMHO there's a better chance we'll be seeing a lito camo tribute (or a cueshe tribute as previously suggested) a few years down the line.  not that i like either artist/composer...but it's because wolfgang, despite their success and influence, were never a big mainstream hit.

sad reality of the music industry...
Drummer -- The Myopics (on indefinite hiatus) / Sole proprietor, er...procrastinator -- Mad Tito Management

Offline enzopogi

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 07:31:01 PM »
i think every country's music industry works the same way. even in the US, rock/metal acts aren't as big as pop acts. America is just a much bigger country that's why artists there seem more famous.

Offline omarrodriguezvic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 06:15:42 AM »
problema eh pag naging sikat na ang isang banda, to the point na naging masa na eh, marami namang titira sa banda yun. Kesyo, masa na masyado, lahat ng tao maski kapitbahay ng lola mo eh alam na kanta nila.. malalaman mo na lang sinisiraan na sila ng mga critico kuno.. lets say Band A, sikat sa underground scene, everyones raving bout them, everyones complaining why oh why BAND A doesnt get the credit they deserve, then miracle happened,  BAND A landed a big record deal and became mainstream hit! All of a sudden yung mga pumupuri sa kanila dati ay bumaliktad, sasabihin "ah etong BAND A na to masa! Pati kapitbahay ng lola ko sa mindanao alam na mga kanta nila! yuck ambaduy! Bulok naman gitarista nito eh, di magaling puro mahinang solo,.. 3 notes lang ata pinipisil. di nya gayahin si MOKONG ng BAND B, hanep ang kamay! galing magitara ambilis. MAgmumuka ngang LOLO sa bagal si YNGWIE pag itinabi dito ke MOKONG ng BAND B eh." Then the not so sikat BAND B got a big deal and the cycle goes over and over and over again!

point is sikat sila eh.. pinaghirapan din naman nilang marating kung anong meron sila ngayon. antay ka na lang ng time mong sumikat.. ano ba kasalanan nila? gumawa na lang tayo pare pareho ng musika. WALANG TIRAHAN. ika nga eh PEACE! kaya di umuunlad pinas eh haha.. PEACE GUYS.

haay.. bkt ko ba nasulat ito?

Offline hiskoolstudes

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
i'll tell you why, because what's important for the record companies is to sell money. Record Company big whigs don't care for their legacy and don't care in contributing to the propagation of OPM.

Go to your music store and you'll be able to see a record company backed Muymuy Palaboy CD and you're not going to see your wolfgang CD there. why? because the persons who decide for the recording company's are focused on earning money.

LF:
Ibanez Musician Bass

Offline plasticsoul

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 11:20:40 PM »
Kaya me tribute album ang eraserheads (at apo hiking) kasi malaki impact nila sa pinoy popular music, either commercially or otherwise. Another reason is since ang popular music ay popular art, nagiging part ito ng kultura. It's not just about money-making business for the music industry, but, also about preserving the music through interpretations by other artists. Tingin ko din, bukod sa commercial at musical impact ng eraserheads (at apo), hindi mahirap gayahin ang music nila kaya nga sila naka reach out sa audience. Maikli ang instrument solo, me recall ang tunes at sabi nga ni Lennon me "sugarcoating." Yan ang pop ingredient. Pag nagdeviate ka diyan, mahihirapan ka. Lastly, me bibili kasi dahil parang standard na din ang dating nila.

Kaya yung iba baka walang tribute album kasi kabaligtaran sila ng popular music. Kulang sa impact, yung music masyadong maramot kaya di maka reach out, mahirap gayahin sa sobrang haba ng solo at walang "sugarcoating." Nonetheless, I am not saying that some of these bands will not have a tribute album in the future. If they will be patronized, either through (original) album sales or be watched at their gigs, these bands might just be recognized as part of a music movement.