hulika

Author Topic: the jerks!  (Read 13914 times)

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« on: September 14, 2006, 09:16:28 PM »
i just love this band.  too bad the newer generation is kind of oblivious to their existence.

chikoy is simply all heart and tons of guts.  nitoy is in a class all by himself with that pink strat and that old rat pedal.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 11:16:12 PM »
Really.... Truly.... and Ed with his greasy bass playing. These guys are the masters. They cross over from genre to genre, all with superb feel, great chord voicings, supremely tasty playing. Any four-piece band that is able to pull off Steely Dan tunes without keys or horns and still have all the voicings in there is the cat's ass!!! Their originals are terrific, the covers well and uniquely interpreted, and they are tight, tight, tight...... as if every band member reads the others' minds anticipating every move.

We played back to back with them for about 3 or 4 years at Hobbit, and I can't say enough about these guys -- nicest, most generous fellows one could ever hope to meet.

Mabuhay silang lahat. We kneel at their altar.  =D>

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 11:57:35 PM »
Yeah si Ed nga pala! hehehe, isa pang malupit sa bass.  especially with his swinging knees moves hehehe.  

hey BB, would you know sino yung bassist nila before Ed?

also, in a few gigs, they had a keyboardist.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 12:33:24 AM »
finally, a thread about my heroes! juicy stories later when i come back later! well, not so juicy...tribute lang po.... 8)
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:40:12 AM »
I have come to know The Jerks only 6 years ago.. i haven't stop listening to them...

anyone have their album "The Jerks Live" ?? i saw one in CCP bookstore , sayang hindi ko binili agad ...pag balik ko wala na..  :x
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 10:33:49 AM »
when i was in blue rats, they were our 'ka-back to back' band noon....

ive heard of them from the jingle songhits but i never heard any song from them on cd, which is sad kasi kulang sa exposure itong banda na to.
biro mo, it took me , what...first learn to guitar, join a blues band para lang makita ko silang tumugtog?

folks, i live in las pinas kasi kaya malayo kami sa mayrics.that's where the jerks hold court.

ang saya nilang kasama. very accomodating...hindi ko alam na naka pink na strat na pala si nitoy..hehe, tagal ko na kasi silang di nakikita e.

at sport sila noong trinanslate ko ang 'reklamo' for them...tawa ng tawa si chikoy....kaya labs ko tong idol kong to e.

'complaining and complaining, your papa has no hair!' o d ba? hindi bagay...hehehe
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
the jerks!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 11:41:13 AM »
the best...the first "rockstars" i saw live onstage but totally nice guys, down to earth and in the pocket

sana gumawa pa sila albums
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
the jerks!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:57:09 AM »
Nitoy sessioned for us in Bora.

not to put the band in a bad spot or something...but I couldn't help remebering The Jerks' cover of Sting's "Heavy Cloud.."  He kept on singing Heavy CloudS but, no rain!

okay, you may hit me now..
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 12:18:59 PM »
Yup! Great band! Played their cd in my car for months!

Abe and I will be catching them tonight... anybody else going?  :D

Offline ortigas

the jerks!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »
Yeyuh!!!! They're playing our wedding in December!!! =D>  \:D/

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 06:46:27 PM »
Quote from: tele-tubby
Yeah si Ed nga pala! hehehe, isa pang malupit sa bass.  especially with his swinging knees moves hehehe.  

hey BB, would you know sino yung bassist nila before Ed?

I think it was a guy named Pino (Fernandez?), pero di namin naabutan 'yun at Hobbit in the mid 90's.

Ed has a really great touch with that Jazz Bass -- he's usually totally locked in with the drummer, in the pocket, and with a terrific sense of how long to hold onto or cut off a note. Walang mintis. Mature and tasty bass playing.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 07:40:42 AM »
When Chicoy Pura started their 2nd set last night by playing an original composition solo, nobody had any idea it was gonna be a hi-energy set that would last 3 f***king hours! Sonnamagun!

From their originals, the band segued into The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, then obliged the crowd's requests by playing Stray Cat Strut and other Stray Cat hits, then Steely Dan's Old School, Haitian Divorce, and Josie; then the Stones' Paint It Black, Honky Tonk Women, and MIss You... then back into Reelin' In the Years. And then on into some Kinks tunes and a whole lot other stuff I couldn't remember.

Whew!!! Awesome! I was panting by the time they ended!!! Super tight!
Sobrang Sulit for only P100 entrance...

They truly are the masters and icons in the local music industry, worthy of fame and fortune.

edit:  meron pa nga pala a couple of Doors songs before Reelin In the Years

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 12:33:39 PM »
Quote from: vegetablejoe
When Chicoy Pura started their 2nd set last night by playing an original composition solo, nobody had any idea it was gonna be a hi-energy set that would last 3 f***king hours! Sonnamagun!

From their originals, the band segued into The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, then obliged the crowd's requests by playing Strat Cat Strut and other Stray Cat hits, then Steely Dan's Old School, Haitian Divorce, and Josie; then the Stones' Paint It Black, Honky Tonk Women, and MIss You... then back into Reelin' In the Years. And then on into some Kinks tunes and a whole lot other stuff I couldn't remember.

They truly are the masters and icons in the local music industry, worthy of fame and fortune.

Like I said, those guys are the masters. For me, they are the quintissential rock n roll band -- the hardest working pinoy band over the last 25 years -- they were the original Shakey's band for chrissakes! And they do it with a workmanlike ethic -- no fanfare -- and wear their hearts on their sleeves every single time. Great tone and playing.

There is of course that unbelievable repertoire -- probably defies a proper count by now -- built up and added to since 1979. They can go on for hours like your iPod!!! The Rats always love playing back to back with them: they did the stuff everyone knows (and just the goodies -- not the wimpy stuff), and we do the more obscure stuff that either hasn't been played in years or that nobody knows.  :lol: A really good combination.

Glad you could catch them. They deserve to be enshrined in the hall-of-fame.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2006, 03:44:58 PM »

From their originals, the band segued into The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, then obliged the crowd's requests by playing Stray Cat Strut and other Stray Cat hits, then Steely Dan's Old School, Haitian Divorce, and Josie; then the Stones' Paint It Black, Honky Tonk Women, and MIss You... then back into Reelin' In the Years. And then on into some Kinks tunes and a whole lot other stuff I couldn't remember.

vjoe - and this was just a regular gig sked? inggit naman ako!  lemme know next time punta kayo.  pag pwede na ko. :-(

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
Quote from: blues2death

folks, i live in las pinas kasi kaya malayo kami sa mayrics.that's where the jerks hold court.

ang saya nilang kasama. very accomodating...hindi ko alam na naka pink na strat na pala si nitoy..hehe, tagal ko na kasi silang di nakikita e.

These days sa 70's Bistro at sa Hobbit House pa rin ang regular puesto nila.

Yung "pink" strat ni nitoy was actually fiesta red -- a color that originally looked like a red-orange but morphs into what is sometimes known as salmon pink or coral pink over time as the yellowish nitrocellulose topcoat gets worn down and disappears. It's the same color as Jun Lopito's famous ultra-worn fiesta red strat.

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2006, 05:49:23 PM »
Quote from: ortigas
Yeyuh!!!! They're playing our wedding in December!!! =D>  \:D/

:shock:  :shock: wicked
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline alcorhytm

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2006, 08:03:16 PM »
THE Bar Band, period. And all those band anniversary jams with old hand Jun L. on board...

Offline ganjie

the jerks!
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2006, 08:32:16 PM »

8)  8)   8)

i remember watching a gig with Binky Lampano... 90's..

one word.. INTENSE!
... pain is a purifier and suffering builds character ...
... Jesus Rocks! ...

Chito

the jerks!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2006, 08:50:23 PM »
Used to watch them all the time in that bar infront of UST sometime 1990-91. I can still recall them playing Message in a Bottle and Red Red Wine. hahaha  One memorable night, Nitoy broke a string, removed it, restrung it and then he started playing and tuning it at the same time and the three other guys never missed a beat and just continued playing on. Who needs backup guitars?   :lol:  :lol:

I also recall watching Razorback at that bar in Makati. You guys were very young then :) The stuff I remember most are the Hendrix and Zeppelin Covers. Oh and the IS girls who hung out in there. ;)

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 03:53:30 AM »
Quote from: blue buddha
Quote from: blues2death

These days sa 70's Bistro at sa Hobbit House pa rin ang regular puesto nila.

Yung "pink" strat ni nitoy was actually fiesta red -- a color that originally looked like a red-orange but morphs into what is sometimes known as salmon pink or coral pink over time as the yellowish nitrocellulose topcoat gets worn down and disappears. It's the same color as Jun Lopito's famous ultra-worn fiesta red strat.

well, glad to hear nitoy is still using a red strat.phew! hindi ata rock n roll pag pink e. :lol:

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
the jerks!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2006, 02:08:02 PM »
Quote from: deltaslim

vjoe - and this was just a regular gig sked? inggit naman ako!  lemme know next time punta kayo.  pag pwede na ko. :-(

ganyan din sa Junkies eh.  pag ginanahan si "The show", 3 hours din, ang solo sa isang kanta pa lang!  :lol:
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline ortigas

the jerks!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2006, 11:04:34 PM »
Quote from: Chito
I also recall watching Razorback at that bar in Makati. You guys were very young then :) The stuff I remember most are the Hendrix and Zeppelin Covers. Oh and the IS girls who hung out in there. ;)

Oh, yeah! :wink:

Offline Herb'

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 10:40:22 PM »
Yup, saw them perform on club edge last two years ago. thats a kewl night for me. Reklamo ng reklamo.
MAKINIG NG TUGTUGAN, MATULOG, MAGLABA, UMINOM, TULOG ULE, MAGTUTULE, MAGPALOBO NG LAWAY, MANGULANGOT, MAGLIBAG, TUMUNGANGA, MAGKAMOT NG ITLOG NA NAKASABET, AT AMUYEN ANG KAMAY PAGKATAPOS MANGAMOT, KUMAIN NG KUMAIN NG ALATIRIS...TAZ KAPE

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
the jerks!
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2006, 11:51:30 PM »
Quote from: ortigas
Quote from: Chito

Oh, yeah! :wink:

oh yeah sa mga IS girls? :shock:  kuwento naman... or kung tamad ka mag-type, pics na lang hehehe :lol:

Offline transworld25

• Philmusicus Noobitus
the jerks!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 06:19:05 PM »
Quote from: blue buddha

From their originals, the band segued into The Who's Won't Get Fooled Again, then obliged the crowd's requests by playing Strat Cat Strut and other Stray Cat hits, then Steely Dan's Old School, Haitian Divorce, and Josie; then the Stones' Paint It Black, Honky Tonk Women, and MIss You... then back into Reelin' In the Years. And then on into some Kinks tunes and a whole lot other stuff I couldn't remember.

Like I said, those guys are the masters. For me, they are the quintissential rock n roll band -- the hardest working pinoy band over the last 25 years -- they were the original Shakey's band for chrissakes! And they do it with a workmanlike ethic -- no fanfare -- and wear their hearts on their sleeves every single time. Great tone and playing.

There is of course that unbelievable repertoire -- probably defies a proper count by now -- built up and added to since 1979. They can go on for hours like your iPod!!! The Rats always love playing back to back with them: they did the stuff everyone knows (and just the goodies -- not the wimpy stuff), and we do the more obscure stuff that either hasn't been played in years or that nobody knows.  :lol: A really good combination.

Glad you could catch them. They deserve to be enshrined in the hall-of-fame.

Indeed they do  :D

I was able to catch that Sep 15 gig. I've always watched The Jerks in Hobbit House. It was my first time to catch their gig in 70s Bistro, after having heard a lot about them being Friday night regulars there. Sure enough, what started as a regular set turned out to be a an inspired hi-octane one. Here's the full setlist for that evening:

Set 1:
1. Justice Tonight (The Clash)
2. I Fought the Law (The Clash)
3. Police and Thieves (The Clash)
4. Psycho Killer (Talking Heads)
5. Beep Beep (JDLC Band)
6. Minsan Karaniwang Tao (The Jerks)
7. Isa Pang Kanta (The Jerks)
8. Leave My Girl Alone (Stevie Ray Vaughan)
9. Crossfire (SRV)
10. Tightrope (SRV)
11. Superstition (Stevie Wonder)

Set 2:
12. Storm (Chickoy Pura - solo)
13. They Dance Alone (Sting)
14. Reklamo Nang Reklamo (The Jerks)
15. Sayaw sa Bubog (The Jerks)
16. Under African Skies (Paul Simon)
17. Rage (The Jerks)
18. Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who)
19. Lip Up Fatty (Bad Manners)
20. Wooly Bully (Bad Manners)
21. Stray Cat Strut (Stray Cats)
22. Rock This Town (Stray Cats)
23. Old School (Steely Dan)
24. Haitian Divorce (Steely Dan)
25. Josie (Steely Dan)
26. Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)
27. Honky Tonk Woman (Rolling Stones)
28. Miss You (Rolling Stones)
29. So Long (Fischer-Z)
30. People are Strange (The Doors)
31. Riders on the Storm (The Doors)
32. Roadhouse Blues (The Doors)
33. Love Me Two Times (The Doors)
34. Reeling in the Years (Steely Dan)
35. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover (Paul Simon)
36. It's Different For Girls (Joe Jackson)
37. Romantic Kill (The Jerks)
38. Making Plans for Nigel (XTC)