hulika

Author Topic: ISTANBUL cymbals thread  (Read 168720 times)

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
Re: ANNOUNCING THE ARRIVAL OF ISTANBUL CYMBALS @ LAZER MUSIC
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 01:33:08 PM »
Mali ata info ni ser Tedi.  I called awhile ago sa market market.

They're selling Istanbul MEHMET not Istanbul AGOP.

The Lines available are Radiant, Sultan, and Samatya.

FYI. Istanbul Cymbals split after Agop's death in 1997. So the other half formed Istanbul Mehmet and Agop's sons continued the Istanbul AGOP name.

Mehmet and Agop are two different Brands. La lang.

ah mehmet pala... relatively mas mura nga ung mehmet...

Offline mr. trigger

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
 :-D
wow ah! bonga na lazer magkanu kaya to.sana hindi presyong ginto

Offline U-10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:17 PM »
For me mas ok ang Mehmet. Cause' talagang nag stick sila sa traditional making ng cymbals which is hand hammering talaga from beginning sa pag gawa ng isang cymbal hanggang sa matapos. Unlike Agop, inincorporate na nila sa cymbal manufacturing nila ang paggamit ng machine hammering sa mga cymbals. Like Mehmet Tamdeger (founder) said, "A machine has no ear". So in this way, every cymbal ng Istanbul Mehmet is tuned "by ear." Talagang hand made from beginning to end. Isn't it that amazing? So as of now ipon mode ako. Salamat sir tedi sa pagpasok nitong Istanbul. I'm sure once na makagamit ang mga fellow drummers nito, they will be amazed.

"It's the cradle in which the modern music cymbal lay. It's the best."

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 09:23:30 PM »
mas ok parin site ng lazer,, parang mas mamahalin pa mga tinda sa JB saka Yupangco   :-D puriin natin designer ng Lazer hehe ang tyaga sigurado ako 10-15k project lang to  :-D

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 11:00:01 PM »
Eto na Detailed info about the Istanbul Mehmet (pronounced as MEMO) sa Lazer. I went to Market2x Branch! Thanks to Glenn for Accommodating me.  :mrgreen:

Prices
Radiant series 4pc 16,500
Samatya 4pc 15,500
Sulatan  3 pc 11,950/4pc 16,500

FYI. These items are NOT on sale unless you buy a LAZER Drum set and then they'll give you 15% discount lang.

Here are the Pix!! Enjoy!!!

"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 12:14:57 AM »

"I BELIEVE IN CHRIST LIKE I BELIEVE IN THE SUN. NOT BECAUSE I CAN SEE IT, BUT BY IT, I CAN SEE EVERYONE ELSE....."

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 12:50:50 AM »
how would you compare this to other brands such as sabian or zildjian?
DRUM ITEMS FOR SALE!! http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192546.0.html

"Its better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb"

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 01:33:27 AM »
how would you compare this to other brands such as sabian or zildjian?

They're like K's of Zildjian or HH's of Sabian. No kidding.

Advantage of Z and S is their consistency... 2 pieces of the same cymbal (same size, series, kind and weight) will sound close to another. So it's safe to order without hearing the exact cymbal you'll order.

Sa Istanbul (and other Turkish brands), each cymbal, even if they're the same size, series, and weight, may sound different from each other. So you have to hear the exact same cymbal that you're going to buy to have an idea on how it sounds like.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 01:39:37 AM »
Oh, and Z and S cymbals sound, um, cleaner and smoother. Pero the kind of sound produced is similar. I'd say they're in the same category in terms of the kind of sound... very very unlike Stagg or Wuhan cymbals.

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 02:21:43 AM »
They're like K's of Zildjian or HH's of Sabian. No kidding.

Advantage of Z and S is their consistency... 2 pieces of the same cymbal (same size, series, kind and weight) will sound close to another. So it's safe to order without hearing the exact cymbal you'll order.

Sa Istanbul (and other Turkish brands), each cymbal, even if they're the same size, series, and weight, may sound different from each other. So you have to hear the exact same cymbal that you're going to buy to have an idea on how it sounds like.

wow thanks! ayos pala now knowing that it sounds like the HH's... you get the sound you prefer at a lower price! yehey! its harder to choose though, since you would still have to test several cymbal of the same kind find the sound you like.... and so unique pala ang bawat cymbal ng istanbul kahit sa kapareho nitong series! hehe
DRUM ITEMS FOR SALE!! http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,192546.0.html

Offline makinao

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 08:07:48 AM »

Zildjan's are consistent? That's new. I've played lots of cast Zildjians and no two are alike. There are ones I totally hated, others that have intrigued me, and those rare ones I truly love (which is why I bought them).

But getting back to the topic, will the salespeople at Lazer allow you to playtest the cymbal? Baka "do not tap" :-)

Offline peeves24

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 08:33:19 AM »
Prices
Radiant series 4pc 16,500
Samatya 4pc 15,500
Sulatan  3 pc 11,950/4pc 16,500

FYI. These items are NOT on sale unless you buy a LAZER Drum set and then they'll give you 15% discount lang.

hahaha

great cymbals...
great pricing...

very stupid sales promo  :-P

lazer guys, i'd be your first customer and buy my hand picked setup but you are really making it hard to even encourage the thought.

sorry ha, na excite lang ako masyado nung makita ko to at bago ko pa i-click e nasabi ko na sa sarili ko na "sa wakas may nagpasok din ng istanbul at bibili na ko" tapos yun pala...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 08:44:10 AM by peeves24 »

Offline cradleofklien

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
hindi  ba pwedeng per piece ang bilhin?  :?

Offline ren0wn15

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:12 AM »
TALAGA?! Sapilitan ah. Mismo pa naman yang Radiant na yan.
"I play just what I feel.."

Offline phfreq

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 10:29:53 AM »
pag tumitingin ako online, yung rides pa lang ng istanbul mehmet eh ranging from $220 - $290 na.. so that roughly translates to around 9k-12k pesos.

kung yung sultan na 12k eh 3 pc na (I'm assuming crash, ride and hats), parang mukang ayos na yon..

syempre, depende kung trip mo ung tunog...

Offline paeng16

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 10:46:57 AM »
(Mag Zildjian nalang kayo) =)
For Sale:
Zildjian Avedis MedThin 16" Crash = 5K
Zildjian ZHT 10" Splash = 2K BNew Gibraltar single pedal and Straight stand = 2K each  PM Me ty..

Offline sandythedrummer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 11:34:13 AM »
Bakit nawala yung original post ko? Yung kinopy ni peeves??? :?

Offline jieboy

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »
yeah

Offline U-10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »
(Mag Zildjian nalang kayo) =)
paeng16, pag narinig mo yung istanbul radiant. iwanan mo k zildjian mastersound mo. hehe honestly bro. go audition yourself an Istanbul cymbal. you'll hear what the top 3 brands are trying to copy. this is the real deal.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2008, 06:30:15 PM »
paeng16, pag narinig mo yung istanbul radiant. iwanan mo k zildjian mastersound mo. hehe honestly bro. go audition yourself an Istanbul cymbal. you'll hear what the top 3 brands are trying to copy. this is the real deal.

+ this was what Zildjian used to be. The Istanbul guys worked in the original Zildjian factory in Turkey before they went to the US (it was Zildjian's factory for K's at that time). I think Istanbul Agop still uses the old Zildjian building.

OT trivia: "Zildjian" means "cymbal maker" in Turkish. "Zilciler", Istanbul's old name, means basically the same thing. Cool no? :D

Offline wireme

• Veteran Member
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2008, 07:10:02 PM »
kailangan pa bumili ng drumset bago makakuha ng discount? sayang naman!

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »
naiintriga na tuloy ako dito sa istanbul, never tried this brand. and to think this is cheaper than zildjian and gives a very good sound!! nako im starting to lean on this one.... meron bang site na pwede marinig yung cymbals ng istanbul?

for lazer, why not keep the promo and on the other hand, sell individual cymbals. more income pa iyon.

:wink:

Offline U-10

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 11:04:35 PM »
Also, Mehmet Tamdeger started working in the original old K Zildjian factory in Istanbul, Turkey when he was 9 years old. Then when the zildjian guys decided to move their factory sa USA, mehmet decided to stay sa Istanbul, Turkey at nagtayo siya ng sariling company kasama si Agop Tomurcuk. Hence "Istanbul Mehmet/Agop".

Kung mapapansin mo, mas lesser ang quantities na napproduce ng Istanbul Mehmet cymbals compared sa top 3 brands kase nga talagang nag stick sila sa traditional making ng cymbals. "Hand made/hand hammered".  So talagang mas matagal ang paggawa ng cymbals dahil mano-mano. Unlike other brands, mas madaming nga napproduce pero nassacrifice naman ang quality ng cymbals.

Unti at mabagal man, pero mismo naman pag gumawa ang Istanbul Mehmet ng mga cymbals.  :lol:

Kung wala kayo idea ng tunog, here's a clip of Rick Latham. All Istanbul Mehmet cymbals: Very traditional sounding.

feature=related
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:20:22 PM by U-10 »

Offline mambo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2008, 05:57:11 AM »
haha, it does sound good! ayos to!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2008, 09:44:06 AM »
ISTANBUL CYMBALS

The art of Turkish cymbal making dates back to the 16th century; the time of the Ottoman Empire. The very first cymbals manufactured in Turkey were actually bells, created for the use in churches. Later on, as the story goes, cymbals were produced for the Ottoman Army band. In 20th century, it had become a well-known fact that Istanbul, Turkey had evolved into the cymbal making capital of the world. Generations of master cymbalsmiths developed, refined and redefined this art in their endless search for perfection. They formulated the most musical alloy, developed and tested hand crafted methods which have been used for centuries. As the 20th century drew towards its close, the traditional Turkish method for hand crafting cymbals had all but been abandoned due to the efficiencies and mass production facility provided by machines. In 1980, the very first Istanbul Cymbals began to enter the market place and the drummers around the world took notice immediately. What they heard and what they saw was the work of our founder, Agop Tomurcuk, who had been developing his skills since the age of 9 and had worked at the original K factory in Istanbul as the foreman until the factory''s closure in 1978. He started this new venture in 1980, with his partner Mehmet Tamdeger under the name ‘Zilciler'. Shortly thereafter, the legendary name Istanbul was founded.

In the following years, the name of the brand; ‘Istanbul Cymbals' became glorious for creating those unique and classic sounds. During those years, we also developed many completely original, inimitable, cutting-edge designs, while we were still employing the traditional methods. Many of these inventive designs are in our production-line today, such as Turk, Sultan, Vezir, Empire, Ottoman and Pasha. In 1996 Agop Tomurcuk passed away prematurely because of a tragic accident. At this point the company was being pulled in two separate directions. It was determined that the company must be split. Agop' s sons; Arman and Sarkis continued their way by following the footsteps of their father and Mehmet was free to run his own separate company as he saw fit. Arman and Sarkis Tomurcuk were ready to bring their own fresh ideas by using their experience which they had gained in many years in the business, while they were still being loyal to the tradition. Both companies would have had the benefit of the well-respected ‘Istanbul' name but it was distinguished by the clauses ‘Agop' and ‘Mehmet', which can be seen on respective logos.In the 21st century, the art of cymbal making mentioned with the name Istanbul Agop, as it is one of the few firms which manufacture hand-made cymbals for generations. We have recently introduced the Agop Signature Series, a tribute to our founder. By being consistent to the mentality of integrating new, cutting-edge designs with age old handcrafting techniques, we have introduced many different models. ISTANBUL AGOP is proud to celebrate the 25th anniversary of traditional cymbal making, as the story goes on.

Play the original.

They have the chinas, splash, box set cymbals etc.These cymbals are included in their on going sale today. So visit any Lazer Music near you!!! :mrgreen:

Click this linkhttp://www.istanbulcymbals.com/

Copy and paste is so baog. :D  Joke lang tedi hehehe.

Istanbuls ROCK!