hulika

Author Topic: Great Service from Ultrasound New York!!!  (Read 28136 times)

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Great Service from Ultrasound New York!!!
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »
Good tone is played and heard more in person and unfortunately, you don't buy amps without hearing them in person first right?  Thats the reason kung bakit hindi ko pinapatulan mga taong humihingi ng clips dahil lip service lang sila.  Kasi kung sabihin ba nila maganda ang narinig nila sa clip bibilhin ba nila ang amp na iyon on the basis of the clip alone?  They don't.  They will still test in person. Eh kung ganun lang, punta na lang sila sa bahay ko para ma-test. 

No problem...  I don't mean to sound offensive but "I love the Triple Rectifier" .... compared to what in person?  Just want to clarify.

Sir! Can I visit your house one time to test out your amps? :) Sa evening? Pm me if ever!

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »
Guys,

I understand most of your concerns and I don't like to sound like a gear whore.  Just that better sounding equipment thats not brought about by low price or marketing campaigns does make you play & express better, feel better and earns you more aside from the complements.  If you look at it, we chose to play guitar maybe because our voices do not have as good a quality as singers gifted with beautiful voices.  What do you think will happen in a hypothetical situation where you pare up your ugly sounding guitar with a singer with a beautifu voice?  Sasabihin ng audience: sana tahimik na lang gitarista. Its not in the number of notes, the speed of notes, the ability to extend your pinky and forefinger across seven frets on position 5 on a strat, its not looking cool with a strat like contour shaped guitar, its not the number of complex chords and ever changing modulations that pays the bills.  Aside from the song and the emotion drawn by the performance, timbre/tone/character play a more important role than technique because its what the audience hears in music.  Eh kung technique lang ang habol mag thumb wrestling na lang.

Agreed!

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
Talaga kayo, sabi kasi sa inyo pics lang eh, dehins na kelangan ng video.

Maiimagine niyo na tunog niyang mga yan pag nakita niyo yung HD pics. :D

Saka sigurado naman na meron din youtube vids yang mga yan para marinig natin kahit papano. Pwede na natin isearch dun, nasabi naman na ni Alex yung mga model eh. Hehe. At least marinig natin yung 50% na tunog nung amp.

Offline bananagrahamskyflakes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »
interesting thread. Matagal tagal nang walang ganitong thread. Thanks for the post TS.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »
Sir! Can I visit your house one time to test out your amps? :) Sa evening? Pm me if ever!

bro, this i can tell you. you will understand where alex is coming from once you go to his home and test his gear. mga 2 hrs plus ka at least mag gitara doon. it's a very enlightening experience.

Offline Jason

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »
wait nyo baka idemo ni ola soon. Hanggang pangarap na lang tayo :(
Sucessful transactions: haha,Siore,Slowhandpal,ramnem,halo88,Bluemech,mghz33,Yhongers,Martney,Acousticky,OmegaRed,queking,sinonieayako,anton_mtegtr,indiemax,DyuN WhammY,

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2012, 10:03:01 PM »
Alex, what kind of Bludo are you trying out? I have 3 that I had serious gas for ... a 70s Bludo, a HPD, and a PVM model (which Brandon hasn't released yet, but we've discussed to be a real killer one) ... was going to throw in a down when I decided to just wait and hopefully buy one used.

Not sure the Two Rock Opal signature runs consistent with what appears like a Dumble type amp quest that you're after. I think those things are wired directly to each other and not through a tagboard making the response super fast and efficient making it lose some of that saggy and spongy feel of the Dumble that others have talked about. Nevertheless I still think it would be interesting ... Then again maybe this is more for the Trainwreck kind of feel that you're looking for in an amp? If so, good luck and I hope you like it as these Opal signatures rarely come up for sale and are far and few

The Bruno 100 sounds hella interesting BTW

Let me kow how things work out will you? I've got some amps I'm on the fence on ... one of them being a Two Rock studio pro... a much cheaper alternative to Brandon's HPD
We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2012, 12:05:27 AM »
Talaga kayo, sabi kasi sa inyo pics lang eh, dehins na kelangan ng video.

when i agreed to gainsuckers post for a video, i would clarify it wasnt to showcase fm55's playing at all, this place is known for its great room acoustics, as art a. explained to me the place just makes the already good stuff sound much better. Its not like checking out gear in guitarcenter where you have someone next to you playing 'enter sandman'(dude i like metallica so dont think im bashing them)

also the lighting in this place makes the gear there look good too :)

i should just go there

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:37 AM »
when i agreed to gainsuckers post for a video, i would clarify it wasnt to showcase fm55's playing at all, this place is known for its great room acoustics, as art a. explained to me the place just makes the already good stuff sound much better. Its not like checking out gear in guitarcenter where you have someone next to you playing 'enter sandman'(dude i like metallica so dont think im bashing them)
also the lighting in this place makes the gear there look good too :)
i should just go there

Haha. I know that bro. Playing aside. It's just that the dude never really likes gear videos. He'd rather tell us to go there to experience it first hand rather than always relying on video -- even for just a glimpse of the amp's sound. Thus, I'd rather have pics.  :)

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2012, 12:57:03 AM »

Haha. I know that bro. Playing aside. It's just that the dude never really likes gear videos. He'd rather tell us to go there to experience it first hand rather than always relying on video -- even for just a glimpse of the amp's sound. Thus, I'd rather have pics.  :)

Magkakaintindihan na rin siguro sa pics... kung masyadong maliwag baka bright ang tone, tapos kung madilim ng konti dark sounding tone? hehe

Biro lang...

Click Here

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2012, 01:07:57 AM »
Jesus, just a single G major chord from each amp at their sweet spots would probably make me grow wings and fly towards the setting sun  :mrgreen:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2012, 01:45:15 AM »
Noob wants a Triple Rectifier minus the flub.  Corksniffer recommends a Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet. 
Noob wants a Hiwatt minus the harshness.  Corksniffer recommends a Harry Joyce.
Noob wants a Marshall minus the raspiness.  Corksniffer recommends a Bogner Ecstasy or a Splawn Nitro.
Noob wants a Mesa Mark V minus the ice-picky highs.  Corksniffer recommends a Mako Dorado.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2012, 04:09:05 AM »
Noob wants a Triple Rectifier minus the flub.  Corksniffer recommends a Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet. 
Noob wants a Hiwatt minus the harshness.  Corksniffer recommends a Harry Joyce.
Noob wants a Marshall minus the raspiness.  Corksniffer recommends a Bogner Ecstasy or a Splawn Nitro.
Noob wants a Mesa Mark V minus the ice-picky highs.  Corksniffer recommends a Mako Dorado.

Pwede naman mag AXE FX 2. LOL

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2012, 04:13:38 AM »
Alex, what kind of Bludo are you trying out? I have 3 that I had serious gas for ... a 70s Bludo, a HPD, and a PVM model (which Brandon hasn't released yet, but we've discussed to be a real killer one) ... was going to throw in a down when I decided to just wait and hopefully buy one used.

Not sure the Two Rock Opal signature runs consistent with what appears like a Dumble type amp quest that you're after. I think those things are wired directly to each other and not through a tagboard making the response super fast and efficient making it lose some of that saggy and spongy feel of the Dumble that others have talked about. Nevertheless I still think it would be interesting ... Then again maybe this is more for the Trainwreck kind of feel that you're looking for in an amp? If so, good luck and I hope you like it as these Opal signatures rarely come up for sale and are far and few

The Bruno 100 sounds hella interesting BTW

Let me kow how things work out will you? I've got some amps I'm on the fence on ... one of them being a Two Rock studio pro... a much cheaper alternative to Brandon's HPD

I have already tested the Bludotone during my first session.  Ultrasound wants to confirm that I reall prefer it over the Bruno Super 100s.  They still believe that Other than a good sounding Dumble nothing else comes close to a Dumble than a Super 100.  But for half the price, the bludotone is a steal.  It is a tan Bludotone Robben Ford Model.  Opal is the most open amp of Two Rock and one of the more expensive lines of Two Rock.  It has a more open dumble sound -- maraming kasi klaseng dumble according to them.  I am more inclined to dumble like amp than a trainwreck amp but I admit that I need both because each really has different amp topography that none of the other brands can copy.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2012, 04:18:57 AM »

Sure sometime March... kasi nasa New York pa ako.  Hindi pa ako tapos magtest dito at talagang pinaghahandaan nila ako.

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »
Sure sometime March... kasi nasa New York pa ako.  Hindi pa ako tapos magtest dito at talagang pinaghahandaan nila ako.

Meron ba'ng East Coaster Philmusician na makaka-eyeball ka jan? Pag nagawi kang SoCal let me know, baka puede tayong mag-setup ng jamming.

Offline Filippo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:56 AM »
I have already tested the Bludotone during my first session.  Ultrasound wants to confirm that I reall prefer it over the Bruno Super 100s.  They still believe that Other than a good sounding Dumble nothing else comes close to a Dumble than a Super 100.  But for half the price, the bludotone is a steal.  It is a tan Bludotone Robben Ford Model.  Opal is the most open amp of Two Rock and one of the more expensive lines of Two Rock.  It has a more open dumble sound -- maraming kasi klaseng dumble according to them.  I am more inclined to dumble like amp than a trainwreck amp but I admit that I need both because each really has different amp topography that none of the other brands can copy.

Interesting stuff! That Bruno Super 100 has my attention... but 2x the cost of a Bludo?? Wow ... be prepared to burn a hole in your pocket bud... I would rather go for A vintage Fender with AD's Ultraphonix mod done to it at that price! But please do share more about your experience with the Bruno Super100. BTW, You might want to try out the Bludo 70s model too .. those kick major ass

Agree that there are many kinds of Dumble tones... not really correct to generalize them as there were rocknroll dumbles too but the more famous ones are the RF kind of Dumbles, so that should explain the stereotype

Yeah the two amps are really apples and oranges. You might want to check out Allen Meyer for an affordable but killer Wreck clone

We're all just caretakers. And some better than others.

Offline stratboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »
Guys,

I understand most of your concerns and I don't like to sound like a gear whore.  Just that better sounding equipment thats not brought about by low price or marketing campaigns does make you play & express better, feel better and earns you more aside from the complements.  If you look at it, we chose to play guitar maybe because our voices do not have as good a quality as singers gifted with beautiful voices.  What do you think will happen in a hypothetical situation where you pare up your ugly sounding guitar with a singer with a beautifu voice?  Sasabihin ng audience: sana tahimik na lang gitarista. Its not in the number of notes, the speed of notes, the ability to extend your pinky and forefinger across seven frets on position 5 on a strat, its not looking cool with a strat like contour shaped guitar, its not the number of complex chords and ever changing modulations that pays the bills.  Aside from the song and the emotion drawn by the performance, timbre/tone/character play a more important role than technique because its what the audience hears in music.  Eh kung technique lang ang habol mag thumb wrestling na lang.

I don't agree with this at all. Everyone knows what a great voice is supposed to sound like. But like you yourself assert so many times, 99% of guitar players (or whatever baseless figure you come up with) don't know what good tone is. What more for some random Jane or Joe in the audience.
NORMAL (I can't stress this enough) people know what an electric guitar is supposed to sound like, and unless the tone is painfully bad, people won't care about it.
I truly believe what you do with what you have makes all the difference. It's called the entertainment industry for a reason, no one, except for uber-geeks, gets wet dreams from $1000 guitar pedals or a quarter million dollar rig.
Look at it this way, no self respecting music fan here will say that Justin Bieber has a good singing voice, but yet, he still makes more money in a day, singing, than most of us will make in 29 lifetimes.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
I don't agree with this at all. Everyone knows what a great voice is supposed to sound like. But like you yourself assert so many times, 99% of guitar players (or whatever baseless figure you come up with) don't know what good tone is. What more for some random Jane or Joe in the audience.
NORMAL (I can't stress this enough) people know what an electric guitar is supposed to sound like, and unless the tone is painfully bad, people won't care about it.
I truly believe what you do with what you have makes all the difference. It's called the entertainment industry for a reason, no one, except for uber-geeks, gets wet dreams from $1000 guitar pedals or a quarter million dollar rig.
Look at it this way, no self respecting music fan here will say that Justin Bieber has a good singing voice, but yet, he still makes more money in a day, singing, than most of us will make in 29 lifetimes.

I think NORMAL people in the Philippines know that guitar sounds like crap because the local musicians generally -- a great majority -- set it up like crap.  Believe me, here in new york iba ang timpla nila at mas maganda tunog where guitar really becomes or is allowed to become a centerpiece because maganda ang tunog.  There's just one problem with the local entertainment industy-- there are very few bands that entertain.  If you want to get entertained, the best bands perform weekly at Mandarin Martinis.  NORMAL people in the Philippines DO care about guitar tone --  unconsciously they shun listening to live bands with guitar.  If you ever wonder why a great majority Pinoys prefer Willie, Vice Ganda, etc. and pop bands eh kasi minimized ang gitara which is the opposite here in the USA.  Tingnan mo nga mga local events ng Red Horse, hindi nga nakikinig ang mga tao sa gitara basta ugong lang ng gitara at slam dancing lang.

You made an important point that what you do with what you have makes the big difference. I believe that too EXCEPT the standards in Manila are lower than here in USA.  As a result, with higher standards, they get to do MORE with what they have.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:07 AM »
I think NORMAL people in the Philippines know that guitar sounds like crap because the local musicians generally -- a great majority -- set it up like crap.  Believe me, here in new york iba ang timpla nila at mas maganda tunog where guitar really becomes or is allowed to become a centerpiece because maganda ang tunog.  There's just one problem with the local entertainment industy-- there are very few bands that entertain.  If you want to get entertained, the best bands perform weekly at Mandarin Martinis.  NORMAL people in the Philippines DO care about guitar tone --  unconsciously they shun listening to live bands with guitar.  If you ever wonder why a great majority Pinoys prefer Willie, Vice Ganda, etc. and pop bands eh kasi minimized ang gitara which is the opposite here in the USA.  Tingnan mo nga mga local events ng Red Horse, hindi nga nakikinig ang mga tao sa gitara basta ugong lang ng gitara at slam dancing lang.

You made an important point that what you do with what you have makes the big difference. I believe that too EXCEPT the standards in Manila are lower than here in USA.  As a result, with higher standards, they get to do MORE with what they have.

This is TRUE.  I don't understand why most live techs get pissed when I lug my own amp and ask for a mic.   <_< If all else fails, I also bring my own mic stand with boom, SM57, and ask for an XLR cable.  It appears that the spoiled culture of bringing JUST pedals to <whatever amp is onstage> affects how the live techs perceive tone. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »
Lots of small time players! but there is one band that I've heard during our visit in Vietnam, he uses a Fernando Tele.

I humbly suggest you watch the bands at Mandarin Martini's Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays kung gusto ma makarinig ng tamang timpla at musicianship na local.  Afterward, compare mo ang small bands mo including the Fernando Tele. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »
@ Poundcake:
Just an observation from an apathetic, "meh" person. Maybe it's firemodel55's trademark condescension that ruffles feathers. Hence, the usual expected reactions. He, given all gear that he has tried and are available to him, may have the authority to discuss and criticize. But a little tact, however, goes a long way. If you kick a tiger in the arse, then be prepared to deal with its teeth.

Whats tact to people who can not hear?  Tact is too subtle.  But beyond tact, the tiger is too drunk on its own bias and licking its 'feel good' wounds and it needs a probe insert up its arse to get it going.  But there are Pinoys who are above this and there are quite a number since I last started posting here several years ago.

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:00 AM »
I humbly suggest you watch the bands at Mandarin Martini's Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays kung gusto ma makarinig ng tamang timpla at musicianship na local.  Afterward, compare mo ang small bands mo including the Fernando Tele.

haven't got the chance to watch the jazz nights here, even if it's walking distance from where i work. will make time for this next month.  :-D
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:19 PM »
no bashing please  :mrgreen:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
Whats tact to people who can not hear?  Tact is too subtle.  But beyond tact, the tiger is too drunk on its own bias and licking its 'feel good' wounds and it needs a probe insert up its arse to get it going.  But there are Pinoys who are above this and there are quite a number since I last started posting here several years ago.

Alex, siguro we always go back to the allegory of the cave.  You are outside the cave.  Most Pinoys are still in the cave.  I haven't heard a Dumble myself so I don't feel much in the position to dis it simply because you can nail similar tones RECORDED by using a Fender Blackface amp and some Dumblish overdrive pedal.  But the point is, unless everyone can open their minds to the fact that our tone sucks, we can never aim higher.  And this requires not just a simple pedalboard revamp. It requires a totally different mindset. 

On second thought, since the returns diminish largely at the >$2000 price point for amps, I understand why some people (with deep pockets) don't stop aiming for their tone ideals.  Just look at the designers for Marshall amps. 

When people complained the JTM45s needed more power, they came up with the 1987x's and the 1959SLPs. 
Then later, people looked for more control over volume while nailing that classic cranked Marshall sound.  So they put a Master volume in their MK2s.  Then eventually, people complained the  MK2s didn't have enough gain.  So they made the JCM 800s. 
And then later, people still complained that they needed an overdrive boost for their JCM800. 
So they made the JCM900s with diode clipping circuits.  Then later, people said that they wanted all Marshall tones in 1, so they made the 30th Anniversary 6100LM. 
Then later, they complained that the diode-clipping circuits added harshness to the sound, so they made the DSLs and TSLs. 
If I were to line up all the Marshalls from past to present, I wouldn't say the JTM45 is better than the DSL100 or vice-versa; it is just a matter of using what works for you and the context of your music.

At the end of the day, we all go back to setting the bare minimum for ourselves to be inspired.  Remember John Maclaughlin bringing a laptop and Guitar Rig to a gig?  He is pissed  that most of the time, his amps are at the potential of getting broken at the airport.   

Sometimes availability of a lot more 'generic' equipment  can trump over glorious tone since touring expenses are not a joke, especially now we are having hard times.  If you're a bedroom player, then good for you.  But the situation on the road is much different... way too different that tone ideals become more of excess baggage.