hulika

Author Topic: Guitar modification thread...  (Read 75338 times)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Guitar modification thread...
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2012, 10:29:18 PM »
nice... i'm sure tampo na PRS mo,  :lol:
kabahay ko na si faceless, got to try his PRS  :-D

Hahaha! Kamusta PRS niya? :)

Mukhang nagtatampo nga PRS ko. Naubos ko funds ko para sa restoration ni LP eh. Walang pickup ngayon si PRS. Hehehe. Baka sa summer ko na ulit malagyan.  :-(

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »

Mukhang nagtatampo nga PRS ko. Naubos ko funds ko para sa restoration ni LP eh. Walang pickup ngayon si PRS. Hehehe. Baka sa summer ko na ulit malagyan.  :-(

ok yung PRS nya, just need to do some modifications, like string gauge, tweak ng tuners at bridge to make it more stable, i'm sure the tone will still improve...

mahahawa na siya sa GAS ko  :lol:

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2012, 01:54:15 AM »
Hahaha. Ok, ok. Yung RG321 ni Cayle ay H-H. Ang stock wiring niya ay bridge series, bridge parallel, bridge&neck, neck parallel, neck series. Kaya sure ako na tatalab yan sa stock na 5-way ng Ibanez.

Ano nga pala yung gitara mo at yung stock switch niya?

RGR321EX po guitar ko. stock Ibanez 5way switch

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2012, 02:02:07 AM »
RGR321EX po guitar ko. stock Ibanez 5way switch

Ok, ok. Tapos pinalitan mo ng 3-way lever? Mag 5-way ka na lang ulit.  :mrgreen:

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2012, 04:02:28 AM »
Gibson modders... Question, will it change the value of a Gibson Les Paul if you modify wiring and some parts?  Kasi I was very hesitant to change the neck pickup of my standard, pero eventually I did din kasi I really don't like the 490R stock, then scratchy pot din yung neck so kelangan talaga palitan.  So I did.  Some people told me as long as I keep the original parts, then ok lang?

I'm planning din sana to buy a wiring set like yung mga nakikita ko dito sa thread na to, kasi I don't like the taper of the gibson pot that I bbought, parang linear yata kasi hindi gradual yung volume, eh walang specs when I bought it from ebay.  What kit would you recommend?  Parang uso yata yung may malaking capacitors, kung ano man yun, hehe.  I'm not into converting mine to vintage.  I like it classic, with more modern specs like the 2008 standard (if I had the money I even like the axcess).

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2012, 04:51:26 AM »
Ok, ok. Tapos pinalitan mo ng 3-way lever? Mag 5-way ka na lang ulit.  :mrgreen:

naka 5way ako ngayon, problem ko lang is how to get the 2nd position of the switch to turn the bridge humbucker into parallel hehe.

may diagram kaya nun? hmm

Offline tongski_02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Gibson modders... Question, will it change the value of a Gibson Les Paul if you modify wiring and some parts?  Kasi I was very hesitant to change the neck pickup of my standard, pero eventually I did din kasi I really don't like the 490R stock, then scratchy pot din yung neck so kelangan talaga palitan.  So I did.  Some people told me as long as I keep the original parts, then ok lang?

I'm planning din sana to buy a wiring set like yung mga nakikita ko dito sa thread na to, kasi I don't like the taper of the gibson pot that I bbought, parang linear yata kasi hindi gradual yung volume, eh walang specs when I bought it from ebay.  What kit would you recommend?  Parang uso yata yung may malaking capacitors, kung ano man yun, hehe.  I'm not into converting mine to vintage.  I like it classic, with more modern specs like the 2008 standard (if I had the money I even like the axcess).

depends sa upgrade na gagawen mo. as you know most of the gibson parts are crap. plastics are made of cheap material/electronics are linear taper. kung ang parts na ipapalit mo is cheaper than what it has now that will be a downgrade.
kung ibebenta mo ang gitara in the future, i suggest you keep it stock.
pero malaki improvement sa tone kapag electronics ang upgrade mo. pots and caps will do alot for your guitar.
pero 2nd hand is 2nd hand. lower n value ng gitara agad no matter what. pero added value is added value. day binili mo 200k, pero mabebenta mo ng 150k 2nd hand stock or benta mo 150k plus ung upgrades
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:38:34 AM by tongski_02 »
lumanog > denio ds > hanabishi karaoke + hanabishi electric fan

Offline ian1227

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »
what kind of wiring is in it bro? is it using the 5 way switch?

has anyone tried the wiring below?

done this many times already... i even used the concept for coil split...
music = life story + emotion + skill + creativity

God bless

Offline KASALANAN

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »
well i didnt personally modify my guitar :)

here were the upgrades when i got it.

the lower tone knob was modded into a rotary switch to produce different tones

switch 1. normal mode :)
switch 2. combines the neck and bridge to give that out of phase tone (really nice for clean and overdriven sounds)
switch 3. makes it sound somewhat like a tele, manipis at mas twangy ng onti

replaced the tuners with gotoh tuners

fretwires were replaced to jumbo ones

replaced the cream pickguard with a black one

replaced the fender vintage ST pups with dimarzio HS3s

i still have all the original parts though :)
references:mrpentatonic,mavsweep,pepeman,guitarpoets, studiowan,shredmaestrobri,sereyor,darkflan,maniacally_cool,bentoinks, kurseth,caloi,alcohol,ryansatriani,rg570,jhule77,ARIS,freongang,jamesroy,brianlp,nimrodthebomber,gruthang,inigo,buls,tapslore,

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »
naka 5way ako ngayon, problem ko lang is how to get the 2nd position of the switch to turn the bridge humbucker into parallel hehe.

may diagram kaya nun? hmm

Meron bro. Bale klase-klase ang 5-way switch pero may translation naman sila from one model of 5-way to another. :)

Offline ermonski

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2012, 06:08:48 PM »
Meron bro. Bale klase-klase ang 5-way switch pero may translation naman sila from one model of 5-way to another. :)

haha sayang wala ako mahanap sa google for stock Ibanez na pwede sa wiring na gusto ko :( I guess I have to order a superswitch na hehe.

I found some candidates:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-5-way-split-coil-pickup-selector-switch/364732000000000
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Super_Switch.html
http://www.allparts.com/4-Pole-5-Way-Super-Switch-p/ep-0078-000.htm

may local stores kaya na may available na ganito? hmm

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
haha sayang wala ako mahanap sa google for stock Ibanez na pwede sa wiring na gusto ko :( I guess I have to order a superswitch na hehe.

I found some candidates:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dimarzio-5-way-split-coil-pickup-selector-switch/364732000000000
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Super_Switch.html

There's also another option - go to Ibanezrules and get the VLX91 superswitch.  Order by sending e-mail to Rich, he ships directly to philippines at minimal cost.

Since you're planning to get the super switch, try the EGEN wiring or something like that if you have H-H configuration:

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2012, 09:36:29 PM »
depends sa upgrade na gagawen mo. as you know most of the gibson parts are crap. plastics are made of cheap material/electronics are linear taper. kung ang parts na ipapalit mo is cheaper than what it has now that will be a downgrade.
kung ibebenta mo ang gitara in the future, i suggest you keep it stock.
pero malaki improvement sa tone kapag electronics ang upgrade mo. pots and caps will do alot for your guitar.
pero 2nd hand is 2nd hand. lower n value ng gitara agad no matter what. pero added value is added value. day binili mo 200k, pero mabebenta mo ng 150k 2nd hand stock or benta mo 150k plus ung upgrades

Thanks bro.  That's why I go for second hand pag Gibson.  So I guess I'm more comfortable to upgrade para I can enjoy and really maximize the guitar while at least preserving the value.  I won't mind to sell it the same price even with additional pickup and wiring.

What wiring kit would you recommend?

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »

I found some candidates:

those are too overpriced..check the link below and scroll way down.

http://azguitarparts.com/pots.html

Offline tongski_02

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2012, 11:07:28 PM »
Thanks bro.  That's why I go for second hand pag Gibson.  So I guess I'm more comfortable to upgrade para I can enjoy and really maximize the guitar while at least preserving the value.  I won't mind to sell it the same price even with additional pickup and wiring.

What wiring kit would you recommend?

i've tried MartinSixStringcustoms and Retrospec. AFAIK, MSSC uses 550k audio taper pots while Retrospec uses TVT (true vintage taper) 500k pots (custom made for them). they are using the same brand of capacitors (Luxe) bumble bee caps. i think very minimal lang difference. mas cheaper ang MSSC at naka assemble na.
i'd recommend MSSC kasi cheaper and pre wired na. easy to install na for you. best 88usd wiring upgrade.
ask Mr. Brownstone kasi sinubukan nya yata si Jonesy Blues. baka maganda din
lumanog > denio ds > hanabishi karaoke + hanabishi electric fan

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2012, 09:09:49 AM »

walang pickups yung PRS mo?  ano nangyari sa GFS P90s?  :)
PEDAL PEDDLER-Official Dealer of Malekko & Catalinbread Pedals
http://www.facebook.com/pedalpeddlers

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »

Nakay vegetablejoe na ata.  :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2012, 09:38:22 AM »

diba kakagawa niyo lang ng demo nun? ganda naman tumunog ah!  :)

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »

Oo nga e. Personally, I thought the Mean 90s sounded perfect for that PRS SE. Fat, round, pero rakenrol talaga tumunog.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2012, 12:04:24 PM »

What he said.  :-)

Oo nga e. Personally, I thought the Mean 90s sounded perfect for that PRS SE. Fat, round, pero rakenrol talaga tumunog.

What he said again.  :-)

But I'm narrowing my guitars to three different sounds. The LP for a more vintage vibe (defeats the purpose of having the P90s on the PRS), the Strat for you know, laid back John Mayer-y tunes, and the PRS will be for the more aggressive stuff. I'm planning to put some higher output pickups sa kanya.

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
But I'm narrowing my guitars to three different sounds. The LP for a more vintage vibe (defeats the purpose of having the P90s on the PRS), the Strat for you know, laid back John Mayer-y tunes, and the PRS will be for the more aggressive stuff. I'm planning to put some higher output pickups sa kanya.

PRS - check
LP - check
Strat - check

Tele ??
335 ??

:-D :-D :-D

Offline maxi_musikero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2012, 12:14:29 PM »

hindi pa ba aggressive yung P90s?  they sounded great to me dirty.  ang alam ko high output talaga mga P90s kasi overwound single coils sila eh.  :-D

PRS - check
LP - check
Strat - check

Tele ??
335 ??

baka yan nga ang plano ni Chino.  :-D

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
PRS - check
LP - check
Strat - check
Tele ??
335 ??

Ok na yung Tele ni Cayle, hihiramin ko na lang from time to time.. 335? Si Cayle na rin bahala diyan.. :) the wonders of having a GAS brother in the same house.. shared din ang gear, mostly at his expense..  :-P

hindi pa ba aggressive yung P90s?  they sounded great to me dirty.  ang alam ko high output talaga mga P90s kasi overwound single coils sila eh.  :-D

Not "metullz and brutally aggressive". Haha. Yun ang aim ko ngayon sa PRS eh. Pang mabigatan talagang tugtugan.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:43:38 PM by r_chino18 »

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
Ehem*es335*ehem*i have 7 incoming*ehem :-D
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
modded my Fernandes FR last year, by retrofitting LED's in a single coil pickup cover, and...