hulika

Author Topic: Who's into Mastering?  (Read 5459 times)

Offline skyturn

Re: Who's into Mastering?
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 02:38:57 AM »
mga sir, question:

which efx/plugins are you guys using in mastering a song? or what is the efx/plugin chain, which efx plugin comes first, second, third and so on and so forth? can any body share their matsering tchnique so that we newbies will have some idea on mastering....thanks in advance!!!

"one gud thing about music, when it hits you feel ni pain"....bob marley

here's a very basic or standard set-up.

parametric EQ, compressor then limiter.

but sometimes i'd side chain another EQ(usually mid/side matrix rather than L/R) then stereo imager, or sometimes reverb (depending on treatment)

but do be careful, one setting doesn't always work for every song, for every artist, or genre.
there's almost not a template for it.
I

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »
I like Izotope very much
for the parametric equalizer I use only fab filter :D

I like Izotope but it has a tendency to sound overly bright which fatigues my ears after a short time. Always have a reference mix ready because its easy to overcompensate with Izotope.

One thing I've grown used to was Sonar's VC64 mastering compressor in 64-bit mode. Sounds way smoother to my ears, especially when used in conjunction with the LP64 linear phase eq. Another plug that I'm very satisfied with is PSP's Vintage Warmer - very excellent for what it does if you know how to use it properly.

Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline reijahl

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2012, 10:23:03 AM »
here's a very basic or standard set-up.

parametric EQ, compressor then limiter.

but sometimes i'd side chain another EQ(usually mid/side matrix rather than L/R) then stereo imager, or sometimes reverb (depending on treatment)

but do be careful, one setting doesn't always work for every song, for every artist, or genre.
there's almost not a template for it.

Thanks for the reply....which compressor do we have to use the multiband or just a compressor, do we really have to stereo image each song? If we stereo image a song how much percent should we use in the imaging? Thanks again in advance!

Offline skyturn

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply....which compressor do we have to use the multiband or just a compressor, do we really have to stereo image each song? If we stereo image a song how much percent should we use in the imaging? Thanks again in advance!

you can actually use either multi-band or the other. but if you do a multiband then do it after a parametric EQ if you do use one. stereo imager and the like is not a requirement, case-to-case on how you want to make it sound. its just my rule of thumb that i side-chain it and not main-chain. and you can't apply too much.

ika nga, 'play it by ear', (pun intended)

honestly, mastering is one of the most elusive process in production. hence it's best to have it mastered by someone else.
I

Offline MYN11

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
I like Izotope but it has a tendency to sound overly bright which fatigues my ears after a short time. Always have a reference mix ready because its easy to overcompensate with Izotope.

One thing I've grown used to was Sonar's VC64 mastering compressor in 64-bit mode. Sounds way smoother to my ears, especially when used in conjunction with the LP64 linear phase eq. Another plug that I'm very satisfied with is PSP's Vintage Warmer - very excellent for what it does if you know how to use it properly.

Those are my tools.

Here are some Pro Tools/Izotope made tracks:
http://soundcloud.com/six-part-invention/better-than-this
http://soundcloud.com/six-part-invention/hallucination

Here are some Sonar/VC64 made tracks:
context=C4b8542bADvjVQa1PpcFMZNVATvMnr1SZLaNB8N-NpCE0OctuUKfQ=

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
ang alam ko lang na mastering studio ay yung kay Rolly Lucero sa merville..

hindi ako sure kung operating parin sya.

pero maganda na magkaroon pa tayo ng maraming mastering studios.
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
ang alam ko lang na mastering studio ay yung kay Rolly Lucero sa merville..

hindi ako sure kung operating parin sya.

pero maganda na magkaroon pa tayo ng maraming mastering studios.

Is ROLLY Lucero and ZACH Lucero the same person?

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »
Is ROLLY Lucero and ZACH Lucero the same person?

yes
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »

Izotopes are my fav tools in mastering. I am still rediscovering the capability of Sonar's VC especially at 64 bit. Narinig ko na once at someone else's engine and I am impressed. I have yet to work on a 64bit engine of my own.

Offline skyturn

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 12:52:14 AM »
Izotopes are my fav tools in mastering. I am still rediscovering the capability of Sonar's VC especially at 64 bit. Narinig ko na once at someone else's engine and I am impressed. I have yet to work on a 64bit engine of my own.

:)
at the end of the day, it's really about processing power.
64bit indeed is the way to go.
i'm also moving to that direction, though my hardware is already 64bit,
i'm still running the old 32bit XP...
i need the 7 heaven
I

Offline willythechief

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
Hi,, I posted this one on one thread pero i decided to post it also dito (i hope its not too self indulgent on my part heheh) so here it goes... here's my take... when mixing, I have everything that I use sa mastering stage already engaged while doing the mix. The most prominent would be the Vintage Warmer which is a multiband compressor... I will simply add it to the master buss and and go....Set it to a preset I developed and start mixing from there. That way, meron na ako idea how it sounds, frequency wise and level wise, when i actually master it... Doing so, eliminates the tinkering part of how to eq and compress etc during mastering, kasi you might correct an area of the piece but in effect compromise another... And when i finally master every songs in the project, everything seems to sound cohesive without having to apply eq..... Which by the way, is the best compliment Ive gotten so far... I did the fantasy album by regine , all different arangers and singers, and she had a real kick out of it because she loves the fact that everything sounded cohesive... Hindi tunog na obviously iba iba ang arrangers, musicians and sound palettes na ginamit.... The same goes for noel's Byahe album... The reverb, eq and compressor is next to nothing during the mix,  very organic (ironic since we're in the digital age d ba???) ..... Again i mixed them with mastering in mind so i dont have to tinker around with what and how much of this and that stuff i have to apply to get sound Im after during mastering.... It works for me, but there are no guarantees it will work for everybody. The bottomline is, this craft, there are no rules, only guidelines which are considered time honored practices so, start there... Start with what you know, what you've learned, and later impart little by little some stuffs you meant to do na talagang ikaw un, no rules.. Magkakamali ka along the way, so what, learn from it and move on....

Offline willythechief

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
P.S. You may or may not have access to expensive gears both  softwares or hardwares, but do remember that the most useful and priceless piece of gear even  money couldnt possibly buy is already in your possession... they're attached to both sides of your head... at least mine still is... happy weekend

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »
P.S. You may or may not have access to expensive gears both  softwares or hardwares, but do remember that the most useful and priceless piece of gear even  money couldnt possibly buy is already in your possession... they're attached to both sides of your head... at least mine still is... happy weekend

unless you decide to be a van gogh. hehehehehe