hulika

Author Topic: Why I think MIJ Sucks (Not that much though LOL)  (Read 54586 times)

Offline stratboy

• Veteran Member
Re: Why I think MIJ Sucks (Not that much though LOL)
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
1. Magic can be heard.
2. A magical card stops being an instrument but becomes an inspiration instead.
3. Yes you are doomed not because you aren't able to quantify but because there are so few magical instruments.
4. I encourage trial because thats how I learnt but if you want to take the short cuts, I am just a call away.
5. I don't have a favorite recorded guitar tone (But I have favorite songs) because the tones I get with my equipment and set up sound better than what I hear on record.

What if a band uses your set-up to record an album, can it be heard then? Or can't the recording equipment pick up "magic" as well? If not, then why bother paying an exorbitant amount of money if all your doing is noodling around with it in your living room.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
:?  so where did you get that 95% figure??? sabihin mo na lang "most of what you played are crap" or something like that, not coming up with percentage figures out of nowhere...

Ask Ed Yoon formerly of Suhr Guitars who was assigned quality control at Fender.  And my experience out of 20 American Standards at Perfect Pitch Buendia on the onset of the arrival of their new batch only one sounded killer -- for two consecutive years.  The first one I sold to geo (becasue my Suhr Strat was way way higher on the killer scale) and the second one went to my brother in law which means if you don't believe I can pick out a great Fender just compare yours against the American Standard Strat I picked off the rack.  Also, I feel that Custom Shop Fenders have a better rate but not really much, I just picked a killer Sounding Tele Custom Shop among 15 other Custom Shop Teles at Matt Umanov and we all agreed it was the best sounding one that had character and was really responsive not to mention its beautiful sounding midrange.  So, naka test ka na ba anywhere ng 15 custom shops Teles at one time?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »
What if a band uses your set-up to record an album, can it be heard then? Or can't the recording equipment pick up "magic" as well? If not, then why bother paying an exorbitant amount of money if all your doing is noodling around with it in your living room.

Depends if they are deaf.  Kung panay multi FX lang di wala rin.   I guess it depends on the recording equipment but most of the magic happens to you and the sound coming out of your set up.  So, I don't give a damn about recording equipment.  Its the engineers job to find some way to capture it.  Actually, somebody told me that may set up is ENOUGH to crush every bar in Manila.  I can if I want to beat the drums in terms of loudness and can really fill the room with great sounding guitar.  But I am not committed to the gigging scene because wala naman pupuntahan iyan.  It won't bring food to the table.  Gigging is something people forget overnight -- I mean so what kung guitar player ka hindi ka nga tatanungin pangalan mo.  I just attend gigs to spend my time with friends who play in their bands whose budget cannot even cover the cost of their equipment even if they gigged 365 days a year.

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:20 PM »
Depends if they are deaf.  Kung panay multi FX lang di wala rin.   I guess it depends on the recording equipment but most of the magic happens to you and the sound coming out of your set up.  So, I don't give a damn about recording equipment.  Its the engineers job to find some way to capture it.  Actually, somebody told me that may set up is ENOUGH to crush every bar in Manila.  I can if I want to beat the drums in terms of loudness and can really fill the room with great sounding guitar.  But I am not committed to the gigging scene because wala naman pupuntahan iyan.  It won't bring food to the table.  Gigging is something people forget overnight -- I mean so what kung guitar player ka hindi ka nga tatanungin pangalan mo.  I just attend gigs to spend my time with friends who play in their bands whose budget cannot even cover the cost of their equipment even if they gigged 365 days a year.

Such immaturity. After reading this, I realized that it's pointless to argue with firemodel55.

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2012, 09:16:03 PM »
Ask Ed Yoon formerly of Suhr Guitars who was assigned quality control at Fender.  And my experience out of 20 American Standards at Perfect Pitch Buendia on the onset of the arrival of their new batch only one sounded killer -- for two consecutive years.  The first one I sold to geo (becasue my Suhr Strat was way way higher on the killer scale) and the second one went to my brother in law which means if you don't believe I can pick out a great Fender just compare yours against the American Standard Strat I picked off the rack.  Also, I feel that Custom Shop Fenders have a better rate but not really much, I just picked a killer Sounding Tele Custom Shop among 15 other Custom Shop Teles at Matt Umanov and we all agreed it was the best sounding one that had character and was really responsive not to mention its beautiful sounding midrange.  So, naka test ka na ba anywhere ng 15 custom shops Teles at one time?
so thats 95% of what you played not all fenders. i don't know why you make these generalizations about what or what is not a crappy guitar as tone and feel of a guitar is subjective. i don't care how many (expensive)guitars you tested and own, just be humble na lang at wag laitin ang gamit ng iba. if you think MIJ sucks, keep it to your self na lang. maybe MIJ works for them so whats the problem? and even if everyone agrees with you not everyone can afford expensive guitars anyway. besides it is more rewarding to find a less expensive killer guitar than one you spent loads of money on.

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Simple lang nga.  Pero palagay ko mas tama ako kaysa sa iyo and I can prove it.

Maybe... just maybe mas tama ka, I don't need to argue.
Click Here

Offline monkeypunch

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »
Eh bakit gamit ni SRV ang No.1 niya on stage?  Eh Bakit si Kirk Hammet Gumagamit ng Gibson na Historic on stage kasama ng dami ng ESP na dala niya?  Nakita mo ba si Eric Johnson na Live in Austin Texas, di ba dala niya ang vintage Strat niya?  Eh Bakit si Steve Vai gamit pa rin sa stage ang kanyang FLO at EVO?  Ito lang masasabi ko, ang mga taong mas in touch sa equipment at alam na iyon ang pinaka importanteng hahawakan nila at maririnig ng audience nila ay dinadala ang 'good' ones onstage.

sir diba MIJ yung EVO ni Vai...????

Kung panay multi FX lang di wala rin.

sir diba karaniwan naman ng gamit ng mga magagaling na artist e multi fx....like si Petrucci naka multi fx siya lagi...may nakasatellite lang siya na board pero most of his tone galing sa multi....
" It's all about JESUS "

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
Such immaturity. After reading this, I realized that it's pointless to argue with firemodel55.

+1. that shows that he doesn't really play. once you started gigging, its hard to quit. hahanap-hanapin mo yan. iba ang feeling ng tumutugtog ng live. it doesn't matter kung kikita ka ng pera o sisikat ka or anything.

Offline page8six....

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2012, 09:31:02 PM »
TS: ok opinion mo yan ,kami na bahala kung tatanggapin namin yan o  hindi.

basta Tone is subjective!!
“If you don’t know the blues, … there’s no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.”
– Keith Richards

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
Opinion niya yun. He gets a kick out of collecting gear.

Parang photography scene yan e. Hindi dahil may nakasukbit sayong mahal na camera, photographer ka na.

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2012, 09:39:44 PM »
+1. that shows that he doesn't really play. once you started gigging, its hard to quit. hahanap-hanapin mo yan. iba ang feeling ng tumutugtog ng live. it doesn't matter kung kikita ka ng pera o sisikat ka or anything.

True. Me and a lot of musicians really enjoy playing live. Of course, money is also important, but to me the most essential thing is the feeling I get when making music. And kahit hindi ganun kalaki ang pera, I'd still prefer it over a job that pays big pero hindi ko naman na eenjoy.

Sorry firemodel55, you don't know what you're saying. It's funny how you can make a bold statement like that when you don't even have the experience.  And FYI, majority of famous artists started out with gigging.

I mean so what kung guitar player ka hindi ka nga tatanungin pangalan mo.

baka hindi ka lang gwapo

Offline monkeypunch

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2012, 09:46:34 PM »
Unfortunately, 95% of what Fender sends out is crap.  I think they produce 10,000 guitars a day worldwide.  So thats about 300,000 bad sounding guitars a year.  And guess what?  Who buys all of that crap?  Gigging musicians.

Ohh believe the truly magical instruments in a magical setup can punch thru anything and will rise above the rest of the band.

sir im thinking na natest mo lahat ng na produce na gitara ng fender kaya mo nasabi na 95% na gawa nila is crap so im thinking na 10,000 guitars ang natest mo everyday and  3,650,000 guitar a year ang natest mo kaya mo na conclude na 300,000 ang bad sounding nila... kasi kung hindi ibig sabihin e hinulaan mo lang yan.. :-D :-D :-D
" It's all about JESUS "

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
sir im thinking na natest mo lahat ng na produce na gitara ng fender kaya mo nasabi na 95% na gawa nila is crap so im thinking na 10,000 guitars ang natest mo everyday and  3,650,000 guitar a year ang natest mo kaya mo na conclude na 300,000 ang bad sounding nila... kasi kung hindi ibig sabihin e hinulaan mo lang yan.. :-D :-D :-D

Possible yan sir, whale bends lang naman ang gagawin kapag mag-test ng guitar. Kung walang hiyaw tapon na. Kapag napaganda ang bend at humiyaw... yon kasama na sa 5%. So yes possible na ma-test nya yung mga gitara na yon.
Click Here

Offline monkeypunch

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2012, 10:06:26 PM »
Possible yan sir, whale bends lang naman ang gagawin kapag mag-test ng guitar. Kung walang hiyaw tapon na. Kapag napaganda ang bend at humiyaw... yon kasama na sa 5%. So yes possible na ma-test nya yung mga gitara na yon.

ganun sir swerte naman nya nahawakan nya lahat ng gawa ng fender at na test pa so ibig sabihin yung MIC ko na tele ay natest at nahawakan nya at kasama sa itinapon.. :eek: :eek: :eek:
" It's all about JESUS "

Offline trem3

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »
ganun sir swerte naman nya nahawakan nya lahat ng gawa ng fender at na test pa so ibig sabihin yung MIC ko na tele ay natest at nahawakan nya at kasama sa itinapon.. :eek: :eek: :eek:

MIC ba sir? Sorry sir pero tapon na yan kasi MIJ pa lang tapon na eh... MIA lang sir ang papasa sorry talaga. Kahit din naman yung Made in Vietnam or Made in Korea tapon na rin...

Yup sir ganun sya kaswerte... talent nga di ba? sabi nya...
Click Here

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:28 PM »

Wala naman ako kailangan patunayan sa iyo, eh.  Let me put it this way (and this is NOT an arguement):

Either

a) I am such a God Damn Son of a Bitch who brags a lot and knows nothing about tone.  THEN you have nothing to lose.

OR

b) I am telling the truth and I can prove it. AND THEN you gain from my exposure AND Talent.

So beyond whether I am immature or mature, I think its quite obvious what the right choice is.

Offline the_Nong

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
And guess what?  Who buys all of that crap?  Gigging musicians.

BETTER WATCH YOUR MOUTH. 

YOU ARE THE PERSON THAT CAN BRING OUT THE UGLINESS IN ALL OF US..
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:28:50 PM by the_Nong »

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2012, 10:24:34 PM »
Wala naman ako kailangan patunayan sa iyo, eh.  Let me put it this way (and this is NOT an arguement):

Either

a) I am such a God Damn Son of a Bitch who brags a lot and knows nothing about tone.  THEN you have nothing to lose.

OR

b) I am telling the truth and I can prove it. AND THEN you gain from my exposure AND Talent.

So beyond whether I am immature or mature, I think its quite obvious what the right choice is.

Wala rin naman talaga akong hinihingi sa'yo.  Wala ka rin kailangan patunayan sa akin. I don't think I have anything to gain from your exposure because ,like I said earlier, I prefer to talk about tone and gear with someone who makes music. I just find your posts amusing and I can't resist to comment.  :wave:

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:40:49 PM by paul_sigua »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2012, 10:25:32 PM »
so thats 95% of what you played not all fenders. i don't know why you make these generalizations about what or what is not a crappy guitar as tone and feel of a guitar is subjective. i don't care how many (expensive)guitars you tested and own, just be humble na lang at wag laitin ang gamit ng iba. if you think MIJ sucks, keep it to your self na lang. maybe MIJ works for them so whats the problem? and even if everyone agrees with you not everyone can afford expensive guitars anyway. besides it is more rewarding to find a less expensive killer guitar than one you spent loads of money on.

So, ikaw nga ba ang MTRCB?  Iyan ang problema kasi ng bayan natin, mga sensitive at ayaw umamin.  Please read my first post again.  I have said NOT ONLY NOW BUT EVEN BEFORE that Japanese guitars are preferable to quite a number of USA made guitars and definitely worth choosing over ASEAN, China and India made guitars. BUT they do NOT hold a candle to great sounding USA made guitars by luthiers and other custom shops of established brands.  --- BAKIT MO BA HINDI MATANGGAP and OPINION ko?  At mas gusto mo pa maging tahimik ako?  Anong gusto mo gumaya ako sa iba na tatahimik lang maski na MALI?  Kaya ganito ang bayan natin dahil hindi marunong ipaglaban ang katotohanan at panay pantasya lang ang mithi.

Teka ang 95% figure ay galing dating taga Fender QA. 

More rewarding for who?  Your EGO?  Ang punto ko para huwag mo na basahin uli ay -- ang magandang cheap na gitara ay hindi pareho ng magandang mahal na gitara. 

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »

Eh lifestyle ka pala.  Pinaguusapan ko tone.

Offline paul_sigua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
Eh lifestyle ka pala.  Pinaguusapan ko tone.
this isn't about tone.

But I am not committed to the gigging scene because wala naman pupuntahan iyan.  It won't bring food to the table.  Gigging is something people forget overnight -- I mean so what kung guitar player ka hindi ka nga tatanungin pangalan mo.  I just attend gigs to spend my time with friends who play in their bands whose budget cannot even cover the cost of their equipment even if they gigged 365 days a year.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
sir diba MIJ yung EVO ni Vai...????

(MIJ nga which I think does not sound as good as his Charvel na Made in the USA (Joke lang).  Baka hindi mo alam na marami siyang USA guitars at binabayaran siya ng Ibanez para gamitin ang tatak.  I think my point was that NOT all artists use their 2nd tier equipment live and the ones that use their Number 1s have better ears.)

sir diba karaniwan naman ng gamit ng mga magagaling na artist e multi fx....like si Petrucci naka multi fx siya lagi...may nakasatellite lang siya na board pero most of his tone galing sa multi....

(Ah teka... kung natatandaan mo nakilala si Petrucci sa Mark IIC+ niya noong nagsimula siya.  At ang multi ay switched out kung hindi kailangan.  Tingnan mo, high end na rack multi fx iyan at kailangan pa i-switch out kung hindi kailangan.)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2012, 10:36:30 PM »
True. Me and a lot of musicians really enjoy playing live. Of course, money is also important, but to me the most essential thing is the feeling I get when making music. And kahit hindi ganun kalaki ang pera, I'd still prefer it over a job that pays big pero hindi ko naman na eenjoy.

(+1 Agree ako with you on this.)

Sorry firemodel55, you don't know what you're saying. It's funny how you can make a bold statement like that when you don't even have the experience.  And FYI, majority of famous artists started out with gigging.

(Talaga I don't know what I am saying?  Why don't you come over and listen?)

baka hindi ka lang gwapo

(Hindi nga.  Tingnan ko mas panget ka dahil kailangan mo mag-gig.  Mga guwapo hindi na kailangan mag gitara at mag gig pa.  Joke lang.  But seriously, come over with your favorite guitar and try out the stuff.)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:10 PM »
TS: ok opinion mo yan ,kami na bahala kung tatanggapin namin yan o  hindi.

(+1 Agree ako diyan)

basta Tone is subjective!!

(Its NOT.  I can prove it.)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2012, 10:38:46 PM »

Oo nga mali ang math ko.  It should be about 3.6MM guitars.  But I really read somewhere that daily output of Fender is around 10000 guitars world wide... Let me check.  Or was it a month?

I stand corrected.  The estimated range is between 200k to 500k guitars a year for Fender across all brands and countries of manufacture.  Still, assuming 300k guitars a year.  Around 285k sounding bad ones go to newbees and gigging musicians.  Thats the reality of the guitar business because the killer sounding guitars are really rare.  Hey Nong, I am not gonna mince words.  We can bring my Fender Custom Shop Tele and my Suhr Strat and go around to all fender dealers in Manila and try out all guitars and check to see if any can beat my guitars.  Kung mayroon.  I will buy it on the spot (But Not for you but for ME) -- No questions asked.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:10:29 PM by firemodel55 »