hulika

Author Topic: Guitar One vs. Guitar Hospital vs. Guitar Salon  (Read 40427 times)

Offline rrralf

• Netizen Level
Guitar One vs. Guitar Hospital vs. Guitar Salon
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
I'm going to have my Godin refretted and set-up for the first time in 4 years since I've had it. Which is the best place to have it done? I don't care much about price since I want it done in the best way possible. Someone told me that the stuff takes longer at the Guitar Hospital, but the work is better when compared to Guitar One. Is there any truth to that? Any amount of advice will be greatly appreciated.  :)
Godin. Roland. Zoom.

Hard Rock. Experimental rock. Heavy metal. Classical. Kundiman. Flamenco. Bossa Nova. Jazz.  UST FMS

Offline rrralf

• Netizen Level
Re: Guitar One vs. Guitar Hospital vs. Guitar Salon
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:35:06 AM »
Okay, take away Guitar Salon. I'm now choosing between Guitar One and Guitar Hospital.  :x
Godin. Roland. Zoom.

Hard Rock. Experimental rock. Heavy metal. Classical. Kundiman. Flamenco. Bossa Nova. Jazz.  UST FMS

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:26:41 AM »
Mahal sa gh pero satisfied customer here. Di ko pa natry sa guitar one

Offline TKTS

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:11 AM »
If you love your instrument and care for only for the best, take it to Guitar Hospital.
Quote from: Ron Kirn
In the world of lumber, heaver species typically mean a higher quality of lumber. it was the "junk" woods that are soft 'n light.

Offline rrralf

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:19:04 AM »
If you love your instrument and care for only for the best, take it to Guitar Hospital.

Mahal sa gh pero satisfied customer here. Di ko pa natry sa guitar one

What work did you guys have done, and how long did it take?
Godin. Roland. Zoom.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:51:17 AM »

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 05:34:00 AM »
here's my unbiased answer, walang kulay, walang emotion, walang kaibi kaibigan/kamag-anak etc attitude:

Guitar Hospital.

From the way i understand things, Arie was the first one to come out and fill the void ---the lack of a good Luthier in the Philippines.

before him, there were so many horror stories of people or feeling guitar techs ruining expensive guitars.

so in terms of experience, he's the guy to go to. people with real vintage guitars go to him for repair. this says it all.

as for the other luthiers,

they're slowly getting there. this is considering they're improving every year and im sure some of them are.

However, a few days ago someone was complaining of a blotched re-fret job.

so ibig sabihin meron pa diyan hindi pa pulido gumawa.

and aside from this incident, i've heard of countless of others who have had not so good experiences with other luthiers in terms of refretting and nut jobs.

so ingat ingat lang if you decide Guitar Hospital is not for you.

in general it should take only a few days unless may makita na ibang issues. its best to have your guitar inspected by the Luthier and you will get an idea how long the job will take.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:44:04 AM by analog.matt »

Offline right hand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:26 AM »
i suggest you go to all two or three shops and then look at the work they do. you just might see some clients around. you can do a quick survey then.
 :cool:

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:00:41 AM »
I have gone around and had setup jobs from most of the luthiers we know over here at guitar central. ang masasabi ko lang is dapat hiyang ka doon sa attitude at work ethic ng luthier. meron mahirap kausap at moody pero magaling. meron sobra bait walang masama sinasabi sa gitara mo pero magaling din, yung iba mura naman at magaling pero mabagal.

try to see how they go about their job.

i have yet to try major jobs from them like repaint and body work. sino ba pinakamagaling magrepaint sa kanilang lahat? yung iba kasi wala curing room o paint booth, baka naman kasi magaling nga magpinta pero baka naman may makita ako alikabok sa loob ng clear coat. lol

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:17:49 AM »
always wanted a head to head with all the luthiers here..Im in!...would like to learn more...
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 09:24:52 AM »
gusto ko sila subukan lahat, including jun castro. pero ang importante ay masubukan yun gitara after setup, then point out kung meron ka gusto i-adjust.

looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline Stratzkiboy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 09:56:07 AM »
Another vote here for Micsis Guitar Spot. Been to four luthiers before sticking with Mike and his attitude is really okay. He doesn't over commit, he delivers on time, he has a team plus his running his enterprise like a proper business with the right receipts and papers (important for me since I can reimburse some expenses thru my work).

Ive had a refret, a paint job, set up, intonation, electronics, pick guard install and the restoration of two vintage (mid 70s fender and gibson axes) items and he has delivered top notch quality work and parts.

Prices are in the middle of the affordable luthiers and the high priced ones.

Im all praises, galing ng taong 'to!!

Contrast that with:
Luthier 1: Parts of my acoustic guitar that came back weren't original anymore; I think its called theft. This "theft" has been a consistent thing I think since two of my friends have sworn to never comeback becauseof this. He'll assign one of his untrained underlings to your guitar if you're not an old or rich or knowledgable or "sikat" client. Work seems okay but theft is another thing.

Luthier 2: Took 4 months for a simple setup and parts install without even a paintjob! Overpriced and overpromising dude. I think one of the forumers described him as "full of hot air".

Luthier 3: Took an hour lng to setup my Fender Strat but it ended up with a nut na may over filed na slot. String pinged and moved tuloy. He suggested na gawan na lng niya kong bone nut and that my Fender MIA Strat was gawang china wtf! It was obvious na nagmamadali siya kasi parating na yung isa niyang "major" client. Would've totally understood if he just let me leave my guitar, wasn't in a rush naman kasi.

Luthier 4: Took 6 months for an MIJ LP neck to be repainted; worse, he even painted over the decal!

Go with micsis dude I live in QC and go to paranaque to get my guitar and money's worth.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 10:07:18 AM by Stratzkiboy »

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 10:04:27 AM »
if my guitar was " SICK "
then i go to a " HOSPITAL "

simple...
The fear of death.
Make the climb; without the rope.
Then fear will find you again.

Offline prince22

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
I did my homework. Asked a lot of people. Ended up with MicSis. Finishes on time, great prices and the results are way beyond your expectations. Will even tell you how you can avoid overspending or if what you plan to do is unnecessary. That's just the kind of guy he is. Issues receipts and works hands-on everything. Nice team too, you'll feel like family
with Kuya Romy, Leo and Vick.

I trust this guy so much that sometimes I just leave my guitar and he assesses what needs to be done. I suggest you try him so you won't feel
I'm selling this guy too much. If I'm counting correctly I've had 13 guitars come through his shop and every one came out at par if not exceeding my
expectations. Don't take my word for it, go to him and you'll know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:14:23 AM by prince22 »

Offline poacher

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
I live in QC but i have to bother a friend just to bring my precious to sir Micsis.  :) not to mention i live near literally in between the 2 luthier in QC.. nothing against them just havn't tried their services yet.. I just feel comfy and secured with sir Micsis.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:26:17 AM by poacher »

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
ok. good. im going to micsis for my next one.

edit: just texted him. his prices are pretty fair too. layo nga lang talaga. pero sasadyain ko yan.

Offline pualux

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
micsis!

Offline karlwilson

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
GH or Micsis..you can't go wrong..  :)

Offline cheddar

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
micsis dude! mahusay at sobrang bait na tao. doesnt over price his clients, spot on job and always on time.  :)

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »
Actually been checking out the threads, posts, experiences, photos, reviews here ..and somehow MICSIS has my vote ....that gut feel ba...he's "the go to guy"...hopefully I could pay his shop a visit soon...siguro next siguro is Guitar Hospital...

plus this pa:

Another vote here for Micsis Guitar Spot. Been to four luthiers before sticking with Mike and his attitude is really okay. ss wHe doesn't over commit, he delivers on time, he has a team plus his running his enterprise like a proper busineith the right receipts and papers (important for me since I can reimburse some expenses thru my work).

I do like dealing with professional straighforward.. people and structured businesses..na kahit you dont have to sweet talk or do too much P.R.  ..(pinoy style way)....end results are equal and consistent....really really looking forward to checking out Guitar SPot soon...

Luthier 1: Parts of my acoustic guitar that came back weren't original anymore; I think its called theft. This "theft" has been a consistent thing I think since two of my friends have sworn to never comeback becauseof this. He'll assign one of his untrained underlings to your guitar if you're not an old or rich or knowledgable or "sikat" client. Work seems okay but theft is another thing.

Man..this is NASTY! reminds me of some hole in the wall electronics shop or computer repairman who swaps the good quality parts of your appliance for mediocre one without you knowing...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:00:37 PM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline gnarly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
Sir Mike!

Offline rrralf

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »
Okay, so it's Guitar Hospital vs. MicSis na. The problem is, ang layo ng MicSis and I don't have a lot of time, super busy e. Ok lang kaya mag GH na ako?
Godin. Roland. Zoom.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »
of course. pag si Arie talaga, solve ka na.

If that's the case (schedule), then yes, GH na nga lang ang option mo

You shouldn't surrender your personal power to the opinion of others.

It is best to drop by with your guitar. Let Arie inspect it. if you can't commit, let him know na nag iinquire ka lang when you schedule a drop by.

pag professional, reasonable at magalang, i don't think magkakaproblema. ako nga i call Arie pa from Australia eh.

now pag di mo gusto, considering tight ang schedule mo, then you must make time for micsis. call him and make your schedules meet.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:31:31 PM by analog.matt »

Offline right hand

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 03:35:00 PM »
i have been a client of jon for several years now and have nothing but praises for his work. it could have also counted that his sta mesa shop was near my office.

now that he is in cubao (guitar one), parking is more available.

so far i've had a custom job and 3 repairs done by jon.

:cool:

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »
Okay, so it's Guitar Hospital vs. MicSis na. The problem is, ang layo ng MicSis and I don't have a lot of time, super busy e. Ok lang kaya mag GH na ako?

GH na (sino pa ba sa QC area? Guitar one and Guitar Salon nalang remaining  choices)...I think mataas expectation mo sa workmanship and detail so I guess GH could deliver..malapit pa..let us know the results! cheers!

I think deciding factor between GH and G1 is give them a call..or better yet pay them a visit...depende nalang sino mas makakavibes mo..parang when you meet a person for the first time..alam mo kung magiging friends kayo or hindi...or sa isang tiangge..na pare pareho ng presyo ng pekeng Vans pero sa aleng pinaka pleasant at mabait ka nalang bibili..kung sino pinaka magaan kausap..go! :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:47:51 PM by gandydancer123 »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *