hulika

Author Topic: Why I feel local and Asian Pickups don't deserve your attention  (Read 43548 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Why I feel local and Asian Pickups don't deserve your attention
« Reply #275 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:23 PM »
For the red statement, I completely agree. Pickups will definitely change the sound (plugged), but it's not always considered an upgrade.

Interesting last sentence sir. When you said that "a specific PAF set made in 1959 still rules them all", are you talking about all pickups you've tried in general (low output, medium, high output, single coils, p90s, etc)?

Or just the 59 PAFs versus other PAF copies?

59 PAF versus all other pickups... for some reason a great sounding PAF does all the genres in spades.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2014, 11:03:26 PM »
59 PAF versus all other pickups... for some reason a great sounding PAF does all the genres in spades.

That's really interesting.  :-)

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »

But won't it squeal with high gain?

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2014, 03:01:09 AM »
OT lang, Somehow I can't imagine PAFs doing the classic country twang, maybe modern country style, but not twang.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2014, 08:22:56 AM »
But won't it squeal with high gain?

For my specific PAF, as long as you don't direct it at the speaker - it loves high gain.  To my shock, this specific PAF set seems to take on the character of my high gain amps and make each high gain amp more unique in voicing.

Of course you can force it to feedback but its so hard for it to generate the overwhelming feedback we are used to.  It functions more like an Ebow when you attempt to obtain feedback.  Really strange but I guess that's the magic of a great PAF set.

By the way, I rarely use pedals in front of my amps.  So, I never actually used the PAF with an overdrive/distortion pedal going into the lead channel of a high gain amp.  So, it might feedback.  I go straight into the amp and use the high gain channel.

To my ears, distortion and overdrive sounds better without pedals -- thicker, more dynamic and richer without fizziness -- not to mention noise (but this requires a guitar with hiyaw and a great set of pickups). 

Rich sounding guitars when they interact with great sounding high gain amps do not need as much gain because they are so full of harmonics that too much distortion just ruins the sound.  Rather, you set at the correct gain and turn up the master to enable the amp to engulf/surround the audience.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:31:17 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2014, 08:27:07 AM »
OT lang, Somehow I can't imagine PAFs doing the classic country twang, maybe modern country style, but not twang.

Take my answer with a grain of salt, on this specific PAF set -- the mids are voiced so nice that it can do some country twang on a clean/slightly pushed Gibson sound.  If you ask the oldies -- not the old musikeros here in the Philippines but abroad, the old teles and old Les Pauls did at times have a common sound.

I also did not believe that myself but with a little tweaking on the komet , Bruno super overdrive or the vox acd30 does get it into country territory.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
If you ask the oldies -- not the old musikeros here in the Philippines but abroad, the old teles and old Les Pauls did at times have a common sound.

i've met a few in Pinas who shares the same POV. but many can't believe.  i believe old les pauls and teles are like Coke and Pepsi -- a little ice and they taste the same.  :-D