hulika

Author Topic: Looking back at the Eraserheads, PRE-ULTRAELECTROMAGNETIC POP (circa '92)  (Read 3278 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
I am a fan of Ely Buendia's songwriting, Buddy Zabala's tasteful basslines, Raimund's effective drumline choices, and Marcus' wit. Overall I like the campfire-song feel of the Eheads in most of their albums.

But when UEMP came out in '93, to be honest about it, I didn't know how "Ligaya" would reap so much liking.  I honestly thought that there were other songs from the album that had more radio appeal such as "Shake yer Head", "Combo On The Run", and I was a bit partial to "Pare Ko."  The recording was very lo-fi, but it did have that nostalgic '90s  feel to it, resonant with the Seattle Subpop scene at the time.

What was IT that the Eheads had back in the early '90s that most other bands they predated did not have?  You had very talented bands aside from The Dawn like Juan Miguel Salvador & Rage, Anna and Soraya,  and tons of great Punk bands like Dead Ends, The Wuds, etc.  But the Eheads was a major success!  A phenomenon that was never repeated since they came out. 

They weren't really known for being 'plakado' live and they admittedly kind of swept the whole band scene in a revolutionary manner.  I remember Raimund saying how funny it was not to be admitted in an audition because they could not play Van Halen and similar stuff.  But what made them THAT  BIG?  Your thoughts?

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
maybe because of their songs that tells a story that anyone could relate..
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline lennon12

• Philmusicus Addictus
right place at the right time..

i am an avid fan too...

pero i admit kelan ko lang narinig  yung POP-U nila.. and all i can say eh, kakaiba talaga yung tugtugan nila nung panahon na yun...

given na, na they are not good musician, pero all they need is each other and a help from sir Robin Rivera...

i think what really drive the band is Ely's compositions (pero di ko dinadown-grade yung tatlo)...

di rin kasi yun uubra kung walang umaalagwang Bass ni Buddy...

walang 16 beats ni Raymund sa Ligaya at salising palo sa Magasin..

walang mga sundot ni Markus sa With a Smile at Alapaap..

walang Eheads kung isa sa kanila ay wala...

lahat ng Tapes nila pinag-ipunan ko para makabili..

para kasing Beatles ang tinahak nila eh, may mga kanta sila na Beatles talaga..

like "kailan" is actually "oh darling" by the Beatles...

they have grunge song like "back to me"..

they have song na kahit bata makakanta "toyang"...

they have anthemic "minsan"....

but as you ask.. whats with them in pre-ultraelectro...

walang ibang masayang kanta ng panahon na yun...

the dawn, introvoys, the boss etc.. are singin all about love..

while the Heads sing's about life, getting rejected by a girl, tumambay sa tindahan,

tumugtog sa cebu at batuhin ng otap, manligaw, gumawa ng kanta para kay Shirley,

gawing honky tonky si lola, gawing mali ang akala...

Yun siguro yun... Salisi/saliwa sila sa uso nung panahon na yun...  :-D

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 07:58:58 AM by lennon12 »
an eye for an eye

will make us all blind

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
They probably had a promoter who believed that they offered something new and sold them to the public. I will give lots of credit to that promoter.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline IncX

they worked hard, they had a great management team.

i imagine rivermaya could have also have done the same thing if they were in e-heads' place.

Offline cjsantos

• Veteran Member
maybe because of their songs that tells a story that anyone could relate..
This. Madali tandaan ang mga songs nila, good to play along with. Pop-rock ang dating ng time na yun.
Even ely admitted to having that pop taste. I read in an interview "the eheads werent pop,i was" . I think esquire cover nya ata yun.

Offline cjsantos

• Veteran Member
Having listened to pop u, milk and money,scorpio rising were good ones too, well written, ahead of its time. Kahit na martial law based ang milk and money hehe.

Offline lennon12

• Philmusicus Addictus
Having listened to pop u, milk and money,scorpio rising were good ones too, well written, ahead of its time. Kahit na martial law based ang milk and money hehe.

yeah..

scorpio rising was ahead of its time...

and the milk n money was a reggae...

an eye for an eye

will make us all blind

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus

What was IT that the Eheads had back in the early '90s that most other bands they predated did not have?  You had very talented bands aside from The Dawn like Juan Miguel Salvador & Rage, Anna and Soraya,  and tons of great Punk bands like Dead Ends, The Wuds, etc.  But the Eheads was a major success!  A phenomenon that was never repeated since they came out. 

dahil nasapul ng Eheads ang kiliti ng masa sa mga kantang Ligaya at Pare Ko. kalyeng kalye, benta sa masa.

isama mo pa yung mga istoryang nagliparan sa mga guestings nila sa tv bago sila tumugtog - sumasabit sa dyip pag commute, kumakain sa tapsihan, etc.

ang pinag iisipan ko naman ngayon - bakit pati yung mga bagong henerasyon eh nahuhumaling din sa Eheads? andaming mga teenagers pag nakakasama ko sa inuman kumakanta sa videoke ng Eheads songs. pero kung titignan mo sa edad nila, lumalakad pa sila ng walang salawal noong kasikatan ng bandang to.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline lennon12

• Philmusicus Addictus
dahil nasapul ng Eheads ang kiliti ng masa sa mga kantang Ligaya at Pare Ko. kalyeng kalye, benta sa masa.

isama mo pa yung mga istoryang nagliparan sa mga guestings nila sa tv bago sila tumugtog - sumasabit sa dyip pag commute, kumakain sa tapsihan, etc.

ang pinag iisipan ko naman ngayon - bakit pati yung mga bagong henerasyon eh nahuhumaling din sa Eheads? andaming mga teenagers pag nakakasama ko sa inuman kumakanta sa videoke ng Eheads songs. pero kung titignan mo sa edad nila, lumalakad pa sila ng walang salawal noong kasikatan ng bandang to.

look at the Beatles...

kahit mga di pa naisilang nung panahon na yun, alam ang kanta nila...

thats what we call LEGACY  :razz:
an eye for an eye

will make us all blind

Offline spadettie

• Philmusicus Addictus
they'll be here in dubai this thursday, april 4, :D may ticket na ako yahooooooooo!!!

Offline lennon12

• Philmusicus Addictus
they'll be here in dubai this thursday, april 4, :D may ticket na ako yahooooooooo!!!

wow!!!

swerte mo bro...

post ka pix dito hehe
an eye for an eye

will make us all blind

Offline spadettie

• Philmusicus Addictus
i'll try kung kakayanin ng celphone kong luma hehehe

Offline lennon12

• Philmusicus Addictus
i'll try kung kakayanin ng celphone kong luma hehehe

wahahaha.....  :)
an eye for an eye

will make us all blind

Offline Legolas

• Forum Fanatic
Eto ata yun mga papi. From Titser Marco  :-P

http://themarcoharder.tumblr.com/tagged/eraserheads

Enjoy!  :-D
No Matter How Much You Pay For An Instrument, In The Wrong Hands It Will Always Sound "Cheap."

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
galing nga nito,

they were at the rice place at the right time and backed by the right people...nakaukit na yata sa palad nila..

sa tinigin ninyo ba after 20 to 30 years..

mag kaka Franco, URBAN DUB or Callaliliy Reunion tour tapos pupuntahan ng madaming madaming 2000 born- up na kids..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline PrayToYourGodz

• Philmusicus Addictus
galing nga nito,

they were at the rice place at the right time and backed by the right people...nakaukit na yata sa palad nila..

sa tinigin ninyo ba after 20 to 30 years..

mag kaka Franco, URBAN DUB or Callaliliy Reunion tour tapos pupuntahan ng madaming madaming 2000 born- up na kids..
Franco and Kean and the Callalily band  malabo siguro few bar gigs 70's bistro, Saguijo and B Side, Urbandub eto siguro magkakaroon ng reunion tour malawak yung fan base nila
Gusto kong pumunta sa Quirino Grandstand araw-araw at manood ng public execution ng mga presidente, senador, representatives at iba pang mga kurap na kriminal ng bayan. - Dong Abay