hulika

Author Topic: Drum Loop Making Need Help  (Read 3907 times)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
Drum Loop Making Need Help
« on: November 06, 2006, 11:53:54 AM »
Ive been doing home sound recording for 4 years already but never used a drum loop yet. All our drum tracks are recorded using either drums with mic/ins or using keyboards Korg or Roland.

What applications can we use that is the same quality and feel of a real drums. I have installed fruity loops but i cant manipulate the app. Any suggestions?
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Drum Loop Making Need Help
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
dami dyan...drumkit from hell...fxpansion...jun regalado loops (available sa JB)

Offline shredmaster26

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 05:41:21 PM »
Guitar Tracks PRO 3 has an included drum loops software called Smart Loops. Pretty nice and realistic drum tracks there... You can buy or download Smart Loops software, medyo madugo ng lang... =( I suggest you try out GT PRO 3. =)

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 11:10:01 PM »
oh... tnx i got a copy of that. tnx

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 02:13:14 PM »
... I have installed fruity loops but i cant manipulate the app. Any suggestions?

What do you mean "you can't manipulate the app"? Do u mean changing velocity, delay, effects...? I'm using FL and I'm happy using it. The only thing since I am not a drummer so I have to experiment and spend a bit of time to get what I need.
Let your ears teach your fingers.  :wink:

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 02:43:46 PM »
paturo naman sir ng FL tnx :)

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »
peace to you sir eto sir edgeofillusion-jepoy

eto siguro bagay senyo sir...

click>>> guru

may available download demo yan sir...

reviews daw yan daw maganda for drums and beats...

click>>> battery 3

may online tutorial at demo yan

click>>> reason 3.0

may online video tutorial at setup yan

ayon sa reviews on other forums...ok tong tatlo na to para sa drum sampler and sound libraries(drums esp)

OT: sir, sa entertainment(abs-cbn) ba kayo editor?
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

ROMANS 1:16 DI PALALAMPASIN Mtvon Youtube: CLICK here>>> Di Palalampasin

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 06:30:39 PM »
Guru is nice, as is Steinberg's Groove Agent and DFHS (Drumkit from H--l Superior). A friend of mine however, came over last weekend with SF Acid in his laptop. I've forgotten how easy it was to make grooves with that application, especially if you're flying in acidized loops. I'd give Acid the thumbs up for plain easy loop making. Sonar also allows you to fly in loops, but I'm waiting for my Sonar 6 to arrive so I can play around with it's Audiosnap feature (using V-Vocal to fudge around with a loop's tuning in S5 was fun enough).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 02:46:25 PM »
i've never been an avid fan of drum loops, as i've always enjoyed programming drum and percussion parts. i use BFD, but it's not for everybody. it's not going to sound that great if you don't invest time on it. it's got great reviews too. it's a little heavy on the cpu though, and eats up RAM and your hard drive is going to get quite a workout from it. it fires 11 samples (24 bit samples) per hit.

....but after all the trouble, it's going to reward you with drum tracks that are frighteningly realistic.

you can change the personality of a single drum kit by simply manipulating the balance between room, overhead, and pzmmics, in relation to the direct mics.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 06:09:05 PM »
Drum loops can be a good source of inspiration if you find a particular loop that fits your composition. But I sometimes take it one step further. Often, a loop will have the right groove but the wrong sounds so I often convert one to midi and replace trigger sounds from various modules or libraries. The beauty of midi is that it is more tolerant of tempo changes. Copy the midi loop repeatedly but add subtle differences in the velocity of the hits as well as ghost note. I even add 'mistakes' to make the loop sound real. Then, it's just a matter of adding the right fills and embellishments.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline VinceP

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 07:39:12 PM »
A nice virtual instrument is FXpansion's BFD.  It has a ton of kits, individual control over the: Kick, Snare, Hats, Toms, and Overheads.  You can also adjust the "virtual" room mic which is a nice touch.  And there's the human to robot beat synch where you can have the kit quantize dead on to the beat or have it do a sloppy human feel, or anything else in between. 

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 02:17:39 AM »
hey there, fellow BFD user.... :-D
============
Marvin Querido

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 02:02:38 PM »
@ sir KitC and Bindoy

tnx. im playing around with guru already... will soon share the music i made with it :)

@all

tnx for all the reply

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 02:28:46 PM »
sir jepoy...

FL tutorials...FL studio 101

ang dami pala sa website na yan..hihihi
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »
tnx bindoy ok na ako sa guru :D

Offline bindoy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 02:52:39 PM »
sir see PM po..ngatz..gbu
ROCK WITH GOD!!!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 02:44:10 AM »
pm replied

:)

Offline bigtimecommercial

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 02:48:25 AM »
have you guys tried Acoustica Beatcraft? i've been using it for a year now for my loops. good for newbie like me. hehehehe
Growing old isn\\\'t bad at all.

Offline Indie_Boy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 01:52:13 PM »
yup i'm in2 acoustica.. beatcraft for loops and mixcraft for music and mixing.. ok din sya.. i'll post some of my works pag tapos na..

Offline Extremist777

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 01:21:10 AM »
Im using FL to make drumloops.. I have a DrumKit From Hell 2 which i load into FL as a sample to get that realistic drum sound. Mas madali sakin mag program ng loop sa FL. Minsan tina try ko din i-load yung samples ng BATTERY.
777 posts and its over!

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »
How to make drum loops that seems you are hitting the snair my 2 hands in 1/16th beat?
In FL and other loops program even MIDI, I will have a result that sounds like hitting one hand instead of two even playing around with velocities. I'm not sure if I confused you guys but to put in writing how it sounds:
One hand: tak-tak-tak
Two hands: ta-ka-tak
 :-)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 11:32:58 AM by TheHunter »

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 12:00:31 PM »
try playing around with more drastic velocity levels between hits and also vary start times, attack, filter etc on the samples etc.

also you might try adding more hits to create a flam effect; even if it sounds like only two seperate hits adding softer notes may help the realism somewhat

btw flamming might need a higher resolution than 16th notes, try 32nd or higher
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 12:02:42 PM »
that is best solved by using at least two samples for the snare drum. there's a sample library that actually has samples of the snare drum played from the left and the right hand. personally, i don't think it needs to go that far. the trick is not to use the same sample consecutively. that's the thing that makes it a dead giveaway that it's not real drums.

============
Marvin Querido

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 12:16:41 PM »
i use this....   www.betamonkeymusic.com

and just cut and paste.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline TheHunter

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2007, 12:28:28 PM »
try playing around with more drastic velocity levels between hits and also vary start times, attack, filter etc on the samples etc.

also you might try adding more hits to create a flam effect; even if it sounds like only two seperate hits adding softer notes may help the realism somewhat

btw flamming might need a higher resolution than 16th notes, try 32nd or higher
Chuck, thanks... by the way I've got a luck in flam effect especially in toms. Yes by varying or delaying the start time of the first hit you get a good result in flam.

For snares, is not the flam effect that I've have problem that is why is only in 16th. Can you please perhaps discuss a bit more how to do this? Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:29:31 PM by TheHunter »