hulika

Author Topic: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?  (Read 106111 times)

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do tube amps really sound better than solid state?
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #401 on: October 04, 2013, 10:14:47 PM »
nagcheck ako kahapon 8 pages lang, ngayon 17 na?

Offline FollowTheReaper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #402 on: October 04, 2013, 10:37:39 PM »
Scarlett ftw <3

No offense dtmateo, but I have tried firemodel's amps. Though I love my Line 6 Spider IV 212 very very much, I don't think my amp will "beat" his Diezel. To that degree I know where he is coming from. And his Marshalls are too die for. Those are toanz. And BoltThrower's 6505+ will certainly kick arse. And skill/talent is entirely a different subject when it comes to amp tone.

You get to appreciate tube amps at that level when you get to play and spend some time with them.

But again, we have our purposes, wattage preference, overall volume/sweet spot preferences, tone preference, budget, and marami pang iba, and taken collectively, that is somehow where we find/define our "niche" at the moment so to speak. Mine, I found it in the Line 6 Spider IV 212 now and I am not afraid to show it off in a gig. I'm actually looking into the ZT Club now since I want something really loud but lighter (freemansj fb ulit tayo haha).

But do they sound better than Alex's Diezel? Malabo ata. Hehehe. But I'm happy where I am now at my GAS journey.

Just be happy guys and play loud! :)

+1

kaya kita labs e <3

+999 :lol:
Music Educator

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #405 on: October 05, 2013, 06:35:08 AM »
Scarlett ftw <3

No offense dtmateo, but I have tried firemodel's amps. Though I love my Line 6 Spider IV 212 very very much, I don't think my amp will "beat" his Diezel. To that degree I know where he is coming from. And his Marshalls are too die for. Those are toanz. And BoltThrower's 6505+ will certainly kick arse. And skill/talent is entirely a different subject when it comes to amp tone.

You get to appreciate tube amps at that level when you get to play and spend some time with them.

But again, we have our purposes, wattage preference, overall volume/sweet spot preferences, tone preference, budget, and marami pang iba, and taken collectively, that is somehow where we find/define our "niche" at the moment so to speak. Mine, I found it in the Line 6 Spider IV 212 now and I am not afraid to show it off in a gig. I'm actually looking into the ZT Club now since I want something really loud but lighter (freemansj fb ulit tayo haha).

But do they sound better than Alex's Diezel? Malabo ata. Hehehe. But I'm happy where I am now at my GAS journey.

Just be happy guys and play loud! :)

No offense taken. I can see where you are coming from. Bottomline is that it still boils down to preferences. There are very good tube amps and the sound of a Marshall does it for me. Others, not so.

I think the problem with this thread is that people think that every tube amp is superior to every SS amp which obviously isn't the case. In most cases, the differences in sound are even indistinguishable. Modeling has come a long way. Why do you think there are tons of multieffects patches that sound exactly like the original album recordings? Technology has moved forward. We are not in the 60's anymore. Multieffects pedals are capable of reproducing not just the tube amp sound but the whole chain including whatever digital processing was performed in the studio (and that's why patches sound like the album). New technology is infinitely more flexible and very capable and cheap.

Melody over speed anytime!

Offline shredmaestrobri

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #406 on: October 05, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »
Well like vhunter said, just open your mind man. Be willing to try them out. It will be a great experience.

Of course preference won't always make a gear "ultimately better" because I could prefer to play a POD HD at night and a Mesa tube amp at gigs or I could prefer deep inside a Mesa Boogie Mark V over a Boss GT100 but though I have the extra cash I have kids to support but those will help you get an idea where you will lean to.

Again, just experience for yourself (internet and Youtube isn't really experiencing the actual material) and somewhere along the line you will know the best fit for you. Mind you, that can change as you live your music life and that's where the enjoyment of GAS lies.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:54:04 AM by shredmaestrobri »

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #407 on: October 05, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »
You seem to have some knowledge of what goes on in an amp, however, it is incomplete or inaccurate.

Dude, what you are cranking up is the preamp gain NOT the power amp gain.

So, what do you think happens in a non-master volume amp, like a JCM 800 1959 Superlead, when you turn up the "Volume" knobs? That's right, you are "cranking up the preamp gain". But, at the same time you are also feeding more signal into the power amp section ("cranking up the power amp gain" i.e. power amp saturation - a different debate altogether). Master volume amps can accomplish the former without necessarily doing the latter. Hitting the sweetspot in an amp is simply finding the spot where you like the tone and feel. For non-master volume amps, this could mean turning up to stadium/arena volume levels.

In that case it's neck to neck with a SS amp.

That would be wrong. I suggest you read up on solid state harmonic content vs. tube harmonic content. Simply put, when pushed into clipping/distortion, tubes produce harmonics that are more pleasing to the ear, predominantly the 2nd-order harmonics. Transistors on the other hand, not so much. But that's not to say transistors can't be made to sound good.

You are better off using a multieffects with real tube into a SS than lugging around a back breaking tube amp head and cab.

Multieffects* with tubes in them actually use the tubes as an input buffer. Buffers have a gain of 1:1, meaning, the tube isn't even going anywhere near clipping. You won't be having any of those even order harmonics to benefit the sound. So, "better" is a subjective term.

"Back Breaking"... well, you know what they say, "No pain, no gain." We all have different priorities, even with music. Some would prefer the ease of bringing a lightweight multi + ss combo to a gig. Some would prefer to bring a rig that they enjoy playing through, even if that rig is a monster 100lb rack system.

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #408 on: October 05, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »
No offense taken. I can see where you are coming from. Bottomline is that it still boils down to preferences. There are very good tube amps and the sound of a Marshall does it for me. Others, not so.

I think the problem with this thread is that people think that every tube amp is superior to every SS amp which obviously isn't the case. In most cases, the differences in sound are even indistinguishable. Modeling has come a long way. Why do you think there are tons of multieffects patches that sound exactly like the original album recordings? Technology has moved forward. We are not in the 60's anymore. Multieffects pedals are capable of reproducing not just the tube amp sound but the whole chain including whatever digital processing was performed in the studio (and that's why patches sound like the album). New technology is infinitely more flexible and very capable and cheap.

I wouldn't go as far as saying, "In most cases," rather, I'd say "in some cases." But that is when comparing SS vs. tube preamps (analog), not modelers. Modelers are completely different beasts. A good modeler dialed in just right can fool the average listener, maybe even a discerning listener. But for a player, like myself, it's not just about the sound: the feel has to be right as well. I've played with good sounding modelers and I've yet to play through one that 'feels' right. But that's me, other players might not notice or might not mind the 'feel'.

Offline IncX

« Reply #409 on: October 05, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »

the problem in this thread is that you said a line 6 is better than a dual rectifier ... and then you went on defending that point 'till you had to cop out by saying you hope tube amp owners can strum a chord ... and then you further copped out by saying that you cant play a tube amp in a decent volume anyway.

various forumers have proved you wrong and now you come out and say Multieffects pedals can reproduce tube amp sounds lol seriously?

man, you arent making friends with your pretentiousness. just admit it, you do not have much experience. you are not alone in that department. a lot of us here do not have that much experience. we have our own preferences based on practicality and budget, the difference is, we do not make a grand statement that our cheap entry level amp matches against industry standard and/or boutique amps.

in other words, most of us accept we don't know lot and admit it ... not pretend that our entry level amps and multi effects can be comparable to a real industry standard tube amp
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:58:33 AM by IncX »

Offline Rmansh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #410 on: October 05, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
I wouldn't go as far as saying, "In most cases," rather, I'd say "in some cases." But that is when comparing SS vs. tube preamps (analog), not modelers. Modelers are completely different beasts. A good modeler dialed in just right can fool the average listener, maybe even a discerning listener. But for a player, like myself, it's not just about the sound: the feel has to be right as well. I've played with good sounding modelers and I've yet to play through one that 'feels' right. But that's me, other players might not notice or might not mind the 'feel'.

exactly

Sa tube you can gently pick a note and hear a lovely mellow sound, then strike hard it will roar. Sa ss its all the same.  this matters a lot to most players aangat yun dynamics mo sa tubes. Mukhang mahilig sa muti si dtmateo so he probably got used to it. Try some nice tube amps theres a difference
looking for badass guitars and amps.....

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #411 on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »
ANONG KAGULUHAN 'TO?    :-o

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #412 on: October 05, 2013, 09:15:09 AM »
Hay naku...

dtmateo, you are an idiot for saying a SS Line 6 Spider can beat a Dual Rectifier.   :wave:

In the versatility department, yeah surely the Spider can crap on the Dual Rectifier.  It's like comparing a Swiss knife to a high end kitchen knife.  But if it is tone against tone (in terms of mimicking Recto tones) then obviously the Recto poops on any Spider amp any day, EVEN THE ESTEEMED SPIDER VALVES.

Do an A/B test.  And you can say for yourself.

Offline dtmateo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #413 on: October 05, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »

Hay naku...

dtmateo, you are an idiot for saying a SS Line 6 Spider can beat a Dual Rectifier.   :wave:

In the versatility department, yeah surely the Spider can crap on the Dual Rectifier.  It's like comparing a Swiss knife to a high end kitchen knife.  But if it is tone against tone (in terms of mimicking Recto tones) then obviously the Recto poops on any Spider amp any day, EVEN THE ESTEEMED SPIDER VALVES.

Do an A/B test.  And you can say for yourself.

Well you are the idiot for assuming that I like the Spider because it can mimic the dual rec. I like the Spider better than the dual rec because it does NOT sound like the dual rec.
Melody over speed anytime!

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #414 on: October 05, 2013, 10:22:08 AM »
 :-P :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #416 on: October 05, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's all clear to me now. He just simply loves the Line 6 Spider that much. Understandable.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #417 on: October 05, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »
anong kaguluhan to?

time space warp! ngayun din!

nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline treblinkalovescene

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #418 on: October 05, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
It's all clear to me now. He just simply loves the Line 6 Spider that much. Understandable.

Such tonzzzzz
Offset guitars for life.

Offline SDMF

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #419 on: October 05, 2013, 11:21:44 AM »
Simple lang naman kasi yan. If you can't hear the diffeence why bother?
Guitars:Guild S-100, G&L Climax
Amp:Mesa Boogie RA-100, Rivera KTre Reverb 120W head, , Rivera K412t cab, Marshall JCM1C 50th Anniversary

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #420 on: October 05, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline mikebled

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #421 on: October 05, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
Uso ba name calling, away at hamunan? :?

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #422 on: October 05, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
 :-P ang kulit hihi
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #423 on: October 05, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »

yun na nga. oh well
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline jacobsarinas

« Reply #424 on: October 05, 2013, 11:50:03 AM »
the problem in this thread is that you said a line 6 is better than a dual rectifier ... and then you went on defending that point 'till you had to cop out by saying you hope tube amp owners can strum a chord ... and then you further copped out by saying that you cant play a tube amp in a decent volume anyway.

various forumers have proved you wrong and now you come out and say Multieffects pedals can reproduce tube amp sounds lol seriously?

man, you arent making friends with your pretentiousness. just admit it, you do not have much experience. you are not alone in that department. a lot of us here do not have that much experience. we have our own preferences based on practicality and budget, the difference is, we do not make a grand statement that our cheap entry level amp matches against industry standard and/or boutique amps.

in other words, most of us accept we don't know lot and admit it ... not pretend that our entry level amps and multi effects can be comparable to a real industry standard tube amp

Very well said.

For me, tube amps really sound better than solid state. You can't just replicate the overall feel and response of amps equipped with vacuum tubes instead of transistors. For instance, I highly preferred my 1951 Supro over any modeling amps I've had and tried: Roland CUBE 30, Fender MUSTANG I, LINE 6 Spider, just to name a few.

From LINE 6 SPIDER vs. DUAL RECTIFIER to STRUMMING A CHORD to SHOWING THAT ONE CAN PLAY to CAMERAS to KEYBOARD and now to MODELING / MULTIEFFECTS over TUBE vs. SOLID STATE topic? So ano po ba talaga yung gusto nating ipaglaban? Ang sa akin lang, para kasing nagiging off topic na at mali pa yung mga katwiran just to prove one's personal claim over everyone is superior. Admit when you are wrong, and you will avoid embarrassment.
Blessed by the LORD, the KING!