hulika

Author Topic: guitar for beginners  (Read 27540 times)

Offline peridox7

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: guitar for beginners
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2013, 11:17:06 AM »
san po yung guitar pusher?

Offline zeph

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
1. electric or acoustic to start with?
kahit alin, depende sa mga song na gusto mo

2. what brand of guitar, ie lumanog or ibanez?
depende sa budget mo

3. what song?
kung may instructor ka mas maganda kung yung mga favorite song mo para mataas ang level of interest mo

4. will online study work or hire someone (for free :P)
both, pero mas maganda kung may instructor ka

Offline ToneChild

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »

depende sa budget mo

3. what song?
kung may instructor ka mas maganda kung yung mga favorite song mo para mataas ang level of interest mo

I just got a first edition copy of SRV's biography Caught in the Crossfire and was pleasantly surprised how he learned to play the guitar at a tender age. I think these apply to those beginning to learn the guitar and especially to the TS' (threadstarter, not tubescreamer, pun intended) questions above.

1. any guitar will do (he "borrowed" Jimmie's guitar when he was not around :wave:).
2. tone is not in the brand (most of the time, flame suit on). try which one sounds good to you, comfortable for you to play.
3. listen to a lot of songs and play them, kahit hindi yung genre mo just to appreciate the musicality into it, although at first start with what you like para mainspire ka. nung time ko I used to rewind tapes (hehe the age shows) for God knows how many times para lang mahabol ko yung nakakainis na note na hindi ko makapa sa guitar (usually fretted harmonics pala yun). Hindi pa kasama yung sa friend ko sa kabilang bahay na may dalang CD90 at pinapakapa sa akin yung acoustic version ng Hotel California at kundiman songs ni Diomedes Maturan.   :-o
4. you can learn a lot by by observing others play guitar, you learn faster this way. (SRV did this, too, while watching brother Jimmie practice) maraming mababait dito sa Philmusic and ready to help an aspiring musician.

From personal experience, if you do choose an instructor, please have the passion and never let negativity creep in. Lahat ng female friends ko who asked me to teach them guitar for free did not learn (bad teacher din ako siguro) kasi they kept saying "di ko kaya", "di ko abot maliit ang daliri ko"(how about Aiza?), "masakit sa kamay yung mga strings", or "bakit hindi magkatunog yung chord natin". Lahat ng gitarista dumaan sa walang kaalam-alam sa pagtugtog ng gitara, tandaan natin yan.

If you've got the determination, reward for your efforts will follow.

For a beginner's guitar, you cannot go wrong with a Yamaha C40 (around 5k). Your tastes will change din naman later on and you will be wiser. But if you have the money, go buy the middle range ones na, like Seagull S6, Takamine, Ibanez Artwood series (haven't tried the others mentioned but they could be comparable; curious about the Phoebus and the Maestro as I haven't tried them yet and they seem to get much love from the forums). 
2008 USA Charvel SoCal Style 1 2H Black;2009 Fender American Standard Stratocaster Sienna Sunburst;2012 Ibanez 25TH Anniversary RG3XXV Laser Blue;2013 Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550 Road Flare Red;Laney Lionheart L20T

Offline donnarocks08

« Reply #228 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
san po yung guitar pusher?

sa may boni ave daw po sa mandaluyong..
peace, love, rock n roll \m/

Offline donnarocks08

« Reply #229 on: November 21, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »

depende sa budget mo

3. what song?

--- salamat po

Offline donnarocks08

« Reply #230 on: November 21, 2013, 10:19:21 PM »
I just got a first edition copy of SRV's biography Caught in the Crossfire and was pleasantly surprised how he learned to play the guitar at a tender age. I think these apply to those beginning to learn the guitar and especially to the TS' (threadstarter, not tubescreamer, pun intended) questions above.

1. any guitar will do (he "borrowed" Jimmie's guitar when he was not around :wave:).
2. tone is not in the brand (most of the time, flame suit on). try which one sounds good to you, comfortable for you to play.
3. listen to a lot of songs and play them, kahit hindi yung genre mo just to appreciate the musicality into it, although at first start with what you like para mainspire ka. nung time ko I used to rewind tapes (hehe the age shows) for God knows how many times para lang mahabol ko yung nakakainis na note na hindi ko makapa sa guitar (usually fretted harmonics pala yun). Hindi pa kasama yung sa friend ko sa kabilang bahay na may dalang CD90 at pinapakapa sa akin yung acoustic version ng Hotel California at kundiman songs ni Diomedes Maturan.   :-o
4. you can learn a lot by by observing others play guitar, you learn faster this way. (SRV did this, too, while watching brother Jimmie practice) maraming mababait dito sa Philmusic and ready to help an aspiring musician.

From personal experience, if you do choose an instructor, please have the passion and never let negativity creep in. Lahat ng female friends ko who asked me to teach them guitar for free did not learn (bad teacher din ako siguro) kasi they kept saying "di ko kaya", "di ko abot maliit ang daliri ko"(how about Aiza?), "masakit sa kamay yung mga strings", or "bakit hindi magkatunog yung chord natin". Lahat ng gitarista dumaan sa walang kaalam-alam sa pagtugtog ng gitara, tandaan natin yan.

If you've got the determination, reward for your efforts will follow.

For a beginner's guitar, you cannot go wrong with a Yamaha C40 (around 5k). Your tastes will change din naman later on and you will be wiser. But if you have the money, go buy the middle range ones na, like Seagull S6, Takamine, Ibanez Artwood series (haven't tried the others mentioned but they could be comparable; curious about the Phoebus and the Maestro as I haven't tried them yet and they seem to get much love from the forums).

--- thanks for the input..
i'll go with phoebus na siguro.. just waiting for the right time :)

Offline donnarocks08

« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2013, 10:44:00 PM »
nakita ko ung video ng katrabaho ko dati na nagigitara ng Cowboys From Hell at sobrang bilib ako hehehe (lead guitarist ata sya sa isang banda)... ang bilis magpalipat-lipat ng daliri at parang ang hirap gawin.. pero nakakainspire pa rin, hindi yung tipong nakaka-discouraged.. sana matutunan ko rin yun :)

Offline Autoplay2009

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #232 on: November 22, 2013, 06:05:03 AM »
nakita ko ung video ng katrabaho ko dati na nagigitara ng Cowboys From Hell at sobrang bilib ako hehehe (lead guitarist ata sya sa isang banda)... ang bilis magpalipat-lipat ng daliri at parang ang hirap gawin.. pero nakakainspire pa rin, hindi yung tipong nakaka-discouraged.. sana matutunan ko rin yun :)

You must progress to achieve that. For now, enjoy the process.  :wink:
"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new."

-2 Corinthians 5:17

Offline kira07

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2014, 02:39:40 AM »
Hi mga sir,

I'm planning to buy an acoustic guitar(beginner here  :-) ) and here are my choices:
Epiphone TE-310c with pick-up
Phoebus PG-20c with pick-up

Could you please help me decide on which to buy? It would really help if you can cite some pros and cons of each guitar. Thanks in advance!

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2014, 07:09:57 AM »

If you have the patience to practice everyday for years, you probably can be as good or better.

Sent from

Offline rcabinta

« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2014, 10:49:32 AM »
Hi mga sir,

I'm planning to buy an acoustic guitar(beginner here  :-) ) and here are my choices:
Epiphone TE-310c with pick-up
Phoebus PG-20c with pick-up

Could you please help me decide on which to buy? It would really help if you can cite some pros and cons of each guitar. Thanks in advance!

I also got torn between these two acoustics. I believe the TE-310c was supposed to be talent by gibson china. I found lots on sulit. Really tempting for its price tapos kumpleto na. (case/pick/strap/capo) for 4k plus. So i looked for a demo video of it and found 1.

Chinese website. hehe. http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/A62v-7MT2hk/

I personally don't like the sound (opinion coming from a beginner/starter like you).  :lol: and a friend of mine (experienced), told me it sounds bad and i should better stay with my first choice, the PG-20c which for him sounds like popular branded guitars like takamine, etc. which cost a lot. Yes i have the pg-20c now and i have no regrets  :cute:

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2014, 11:20:20 AM »
budget guitar = beginner guitar?

di ba pwedeng magsimula sa high end na kaagad?
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline Digidog78

« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2014, 11:30:53 AM »

In my most humble opinion, I know some might see this as an incorrect mindset but, getting cheap/"beginner" guitars is a practical way to cop out should you later decide that guitar playing is not for you. Especially if one is on a tight budget.

I've had my fair share of such mindset and it helped me a lot budget-wise. I got into airsoft and got the expensive ones, only to cop out after a few games. Its still gathering dust as i write this post. Lol. I got into photography and bought an "entry level" one. I appreciated it more and taught me techniques and what "high-end" features I wanted in my next camera purchase. Etc. etc. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stay Frosty

Offline DiMarzSiao™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »

Oo nga.
Kung may pera naman, mas ok na bumili ng mas maganda.

Mas practical ito kesa sa chipengpeng.
Yung chipengpeng na gitara, sobrang baba ng resale value pag ibebenta dahil sa "ayaw" na pala mah gitara.
Pero yung magandang item, pag ayaw na pala, ay maibebenta pa sa magandang halaga.

Also, mas papahalagaan mo ang bagay na mahal mong nakuha.
Depende na lang kung barubal talaga ang gagamit.

In my opinionS lang yan regarding gearS mga sis.

← ʍɐʎıɥ

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:13 PM »
In this case, it's better to buy a used but good guitar since you can sell it at the same price if you decide to quit. Good usually means a little expensive but not high end.

Offline kira07

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
Thanks mga sir. I think I'll go with phoebus na lang din. Do you think mas okay kung ung walang pick up muna ung bilin ko pero mas magandang klase na? Papalagyan ko na lang ng pick-up cguro after some time instead of bumili ng entry level na guitar with pick-up pero d naman kagandahan ang quality. Thanks in advance po sa opinions nyo.

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »
Oo nga.
Kung may pera naman, mas ok na bumili ng mas maganda.

Mas practical ito kesa sa chipengpeng.
Yung chipengpeng na gitara, sobrang baba ng resale value pag ibebenta dahil sa "ayaw" na pala mah gitara.
Pero yung magandang item, pag ayaw na pala, ay maibebenta pa sa magandang halaga.

Also, mas papahalagaan mo ang bagay na mahal mong nakuha.
Depende na lang kung barubal talaga ang gagamit.

In my opinionS lang yan regarding gearS mga sis.

tsaka AMMK  :-D

In this case, it's better to buy a used but good guitar since you can sell it at the same price if you decide to quit. Good usually means a little expensive but not high end.
agreed!

di naman dahil sa beginner e dun nalang sa gitarang nilalako na tunog plywood, pwede namang paglaanan ng halaga.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2014, 01:18:51 PM »

Thanks mga sir. I think I'll go with phoebus na lang din. Do you think mas okay kung ung walang pick up muna ung bilin ko pero mas magandang klase na? Papalagyan ko na lang ng pick-up cguro after some time instead of bumili ng entry level na guitar with pick-up pero d naman kagandahan ang quality. Thanks in advance po sa opinions nyo.

Yes, later na ang pickup. Better to invest in a better acoustic muna.

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #243 on: February 14, 2014, 01:21:42 PM »

good deal naman ang phoebus sir, tsaka mo na isipin ang pick up dahil madami ka ring options pag dating dun.

Offline kira07

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #244 on: February 15, 2014, 08:41:59 AM »
Thanks mga sir  :-D

Offline sinon

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
This is important!

1. Before buying the guitar, i-try mo muna! I've tried my friends' acoustic na Epiphone and it's too damn hard to play.
Super taas ng action(Action = string height with respect the the fretboard)
Haven't tried a Phoebus tho, kasi nag Takamine agad ako

2. Ok rin na tumingin ka dahil sa looks kasi at the end of the day, kung masmaganda yung gitara = masmadalas mo gamitin.
Pero syempre tunog is #1 priority

3. Magpasama ka sa marunong or kahit konti na knowledgeable

Offline rcabinta

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2014, 03:33:48 PM »
This is important!

1. Before buying the guitar, i-try mo muna! I've tried my friends' acoustic na Epiphone and it's too damn hard to play.
Super taas ng action(Action = string height with respect the the fretboard)
Haven't tried a Phoebus tho, kasi nag Takamine agad ako

2. Ok rin na tumingin ka dahil sa looks kasi at the end of the day, kung masmaganda yung gitara = masmadalas mo gamitin.
Pero syempre tunog is #1 priority

3. Magpasama ka sa marunong or kahit konti na knowledgeable

Agreed. Tsaka katulad ko na talagang novice pa lang sa paggitara, it would really help na magbasa basa muna ng reviews at demos of the guitar that you are eye-ing to have. Nagbasa basa din ako ng konting information about sa guitar shapes, sizes, at mga kelangan iconsider bago bumili like action and tonewoods. Kaya nga napadpad ako dito sa PM.  :lol: Until I have settled na sa Phoebus. They would do the action and truss rod adjustments for you na rin. :)

Offline donnarocks08

« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2014, 09:24:39 PM »
Phoebus FTW!

:-D

Offline rcabinta

« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2014, 09:28:53 PM »
Phoebus FTW!

:-D

nakabili ka na ms donna? anong model  :cute:

Offline donnarocks08

« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
Malapit na! hehehe po-post ko na lang dito pag nabili ko na.. ung phoebus pg-20 ang bibilhin ko