hulika

Author Topic: The Greatest Pinoy Rock Band of All Time Is...  (Read 100059 times)

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Greatest Pinoy Rock Band of All Time Is...
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2006, 04:01:46 PM »
THE ERASERHEADS

Isang buong henerasyon ang nakinig sa kanila.
Talagang inaantabayanan pa namin yan ng kapatid ko kapag lumalabas sila sa TV, at kinumpleto namin ang mga album nila. Pati ang PILLBOX kinumpleto namin!

Ang ganda ng timpla ng bandang iyon e. Walang mas nakakalamang, walang standout musician, hindi katulad ng ibang mga banda. Talagang meant for the band ang mga talento nila. Tingnan mo, nung pinaghiwa-hiwalay sila, hindi na nila matapatan ang glory ng heydays nila.

Sakto ang lyrics at rhythm ni Ely, at sobrang napakalapit sa puso ng mga tao. Yung mga salitang ginamit sa "Pare Ko", para talagang kwentuhan ng kaibigan ang dating.

At siyempre si Marcus, ayos talaga yun. Siya ang nagdadala ng bluesy Pinoy Rock vibe sa kanila e, kung papakinggan niyo ang "Pula" at "Wala", parang naaaninag mo na parang si Pepe Smith ang nag-isip ng kanta.

Kay Buddy, hands down, siya na ang isa sa mga pinakamagaling na bassist sa Pilipinas. Hindi siya nagyayabang sa pagtugtog, at bagay talaga ang notes na ipinapasok niya sa kanta. Siya rin ang dahilan kung bakit ang daling tandaan ng mga kanta ng Eraserheads.

At siyempre, ang idol kong si Raymund. Siya ang dahilan kung bakit pinili ko maging drummer. Nababagay din ang mga tinutugtog niya talaga, hindi inaarte ang pagpalo, at ang mga rolls niya tulad dun sa "Tamagotchi Baby" ang nagtulak lalo sa akin na galingan ang pagpalo. Kasama ni Ely, siya rin ang naghatak sa musical direction ng Eraserheads, mula sa novelty patungo sa Brit-inspired na music. Yung sa Natin99 (na para sa akin ay kasunod ng Cutterpillow sa pinakamagandang album nila), nakita mo talagang lumabas ang creativity ni Raymund.

Kung walang Eraserheads, sa tingin ko lang ha, hindi mapagbibigyan ang tulad ng Parokya ni Edgar, Rivermaya, at anupaman, ng pagkakataon na mapakinggan ng karamihan.

Offline yernelg

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2006, 09:50:20 PM »
Quote from: free
Quote from: War Nerve
Old School Rivermaya

Sorry but the e-heads are so overrated

the eraserheads? the band that pretty much paved the way for local bands to get airplay on local radio when the airwaves were plagued by ballads, "overrated"? they deserve every credit that have been given to them. it didn't take good looks for them to get noticed by everyone (which is more than i can say for bands these days). all they had were their talent and a few songs about everyday life. unlikely heroes, that's the charm of the eraserheads. the four boy-next-door kids from UP who captivated the country with their music and changed music as we see it in the philippines. overrated, indeed.  :roll:

i believe that the "old school rivermaya" would have to be the most overrated band in the history of filipino music. i believe that perf de castro and bamboo, though good musicians in their own right, hindered rico blanco's creativity and progress with the band. rivermaya has always been all about rico blanco, he penned the lyrics and wrote the music for the group. it's not easy being green, a rivermaya without bamboo and perf, is a testament to this. taking over vocal duties, rico blanco came out of his musical shell and started writing some of the most original, refreshing and beautiful songs of the decade, and continues to do so to this day. rico blanco deserves his place in the limelight. he is, and will always be, rivermaya. the new rivermaya is here to stay.

wolfgang? the band would have been great if they didn't have leslie gemora as their drummer. a shame, really, the rest of the band are gifted enough to handle their positions well. leslie gemora has got to be one of the worst drummers of all time. the way he attacks his skins are boring, repetitive and predictable, he doesn't lift the music at all. instead of adding subtance, he seems to strip it away from the rest of the band. a drummer should be able to make a good song into a great song. just listen to jimmy's stuff on the early pumpkin records.

P.O.T., though a great band in their own right, does not deserve to be labelled as "the greatest pinoy rock band of all time". in order for you to be the greatest, you would have to do great things. the band just hasn't done enough to be even considered for the coveted title. they've only released one album. one of their most popular songs from that album, "yugyugan na" is just a cover version of the original hit by the advisors. they were a band that had plenty of potential but never really got to tap into it as much. shame, really.

Yano, they could be considered as one of the greatest bands ever. why? alongside the eraserheads, they've influenced a lot of bands. also, they were able to take a slice of the scene as their audience back when everyone was still listening to ballads. their folk-acoustic-punk-rock approach is unique and pleasing to the ears. also, they were never afraid to speak their minds, their tongue-in-cheek lyrics often speak of corruption in the country, everyday life, joining rallies and activism, just to name a few. this honesty in their music has made their songs into anthems for the average young filipino. sick and tired of copping bullsh*te from everyone, it's good to stick it to the man while listening to Dong Abay screaming "TRAPO! TRAPO KA KASI!". Yano did what they did best, play what they want to play and sung about what they're going through along the way, which i find admirable. there are already too many scenesters out there.

rico?!

Offline pallas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2006, 11:16:25 PM »
..definitely YANO and tsinelas is an awesome band and a classic album now and will definitely stand the test of time. I love this band at yang album nilang yan. The eheads had more classic albums though kaya they get my vote but Yano comes second on my books :D
O Rose, Thou art sick! The invisible worm that flies in the night, In the howling storm, Has found out thy bed of crimson joy: and his dark secret love, Does thy life destroy.   

William Blake, The Sick Rose

Offline BAMF

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2006, 11:04:26 AM »
I have to agree that the Eraserheads OWNED the 90's scene.

But the best all-time pinoy rock band pa din for me is...Juan dela Cruz. They embodied and epitomized PINOY ROCK even down to their lifestyles. Why if you say Pinoy Rock, what band first comes to mind ?
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline infernal_dante666

• Netizen Level
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2006, 02:28:34 PM »
Unang nasa isip kong na maging unang pinoy rock sa generation nila ngayon? Ill bet juan dela cruz since panahon pa ni marcos sya kauna unahan nag invent ng pinoy rock kaya sya na rin ang kauna unahan magiging pinoy rock legacy all the time.

"As long as it says Metallica on the record it's Metallica."

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2006, 09:38:44 AM »
Yup, JDLC is the epitomy of pinoy rock. E-heads and Yano are right up there too...  Pero kung isasama ang overall musicality + social relevance sa criteria, tingin ko walang katapat ang Asin.

Offline BIGVER

« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2006, 05:58:43 PM »
Quote from: pinoymusika
Juan de la Cruz band - Pepe Smith, Mike Hanopol, and Wally Gonzales of course!
 :o

Yun ohh \m/

Peace,  :wink:

Offline BIGVER

« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2006, 06:02:21 PM »
Quote from: C-D-F
APRIL BOYS!!!

Sino nakakaalam pala ng BACKDRAFT?

Alam ko yung BACKDRAFT

Offline BIGVER

« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2006, 06:08:37 PM »
Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote from: skunkyfunk
Cueshe

is not...

Offline jetlog

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2006, 10:32:55 AM »
para sakin--juan de la cruz,wolfgang,razorback,skychurch,datu's tribe,the dawn,basta yung mga luma.hehehe.peace.
Rock and Roll.Peace.

Offline infernal_dante666

• Netizen Level
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2006, 02:28:36 PM »
basta mga 70's up to 90's na pinoy rock ay legend para sa kin and they still part of a legacy rock kaya sa panahon nila ay simple lang sila may pagkahirap at tyaga din at iisa pa walang daya ive envy and respect for them kung makabalik si ely sa eheads im sure sila na lang ang 2nd god of pinoy rock ang 1st god na si juan dela cruz, parang ituturing mong mala genre metallica ang type yan si juan dela cruz. 8)

"As long as it says Metallica on the record it's Metallica."

Offline jorney_20

• Philmusicus Noobitus
para sakin
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2006, 06:00:05 PM »
uhm ung para skin ah
JUAN DELA CRUZ den
RAZORBACK den WOLFGANG at saka P.O.T
kc nung panahon na sumikat ung kanta nila madaming natauhan wahehehe pero ayus naman lahat at magagaling db

nga pala new hir wnt 2 say hi 2 all..

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2006, 09:28:38 PM »
INcubus LOL
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline kanshooter

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2006, 06:32:26 PM »
HAYP (one-hit wonder) but I like all of their songs.

(may nakakilala ba sa group na ito)

Hanggang sa Muli! - Sir Noel Mendez.........

Offline the emo poser

« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2006, 10:38:32 PM »
E-Heads, of course.They're just too great.They started a new generation of pinoy music.
I am IronmaN

Offline altis_86

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2006, 12:46:24 AM »
eheads - best band during the 90's
the dawn - best pinoy band during the 80's
juan dela cruz - best band during the 70's

and to all the pinoy bands who played the battle of the bands in sporscenter in Marikina, their the best bands for me in my high school years...

Offline the emo poser

« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2006, 07:58:10 PM »
Right now,it's The Itchyworms...even though di naman sila sikat.Pero compared naman diyan sa basurang Cueshe tsaka Hale.....potah....mga kinagigiliwan ng mga kabatang babae at mga lalake na me pa "COOL" cool [gooey brown stuff].Isa pa,nakuha nila yung pagiging astig ng lyrics ng Eheads...may message.Pero,hidi parin nila katapat ang Eheads.Baduy yung"Kabataang Pinoy".

other candidates  ko para sa award na Pinaka astig ngayon are:Parokya ni Edgar,Sponge Cola,Sugarfree,Kamikazee at Bamboo...
I am IronmaN

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2006, 12:12:46 AM »
masyadong out of my generation ang Juan Dela Cruz eh.. :D

for me its Wolfgang...

(nakakatuwa ang itchyworms kasi para silang ROCK-version ng Apo Hiking Society hehehe who by the way made the best of lyrics and melodies)

pero Wolfgang talaga for me.

sa mga panahon ngyon kasi umusbong ng todo ang mga banda. dati basketbol ang pinagkakaabalahan ng youth. ngayon banda na  :roll:

Offline Unior

« Reply #118 on: August 07, 2006, 08:59:27 AM »
wolfgang!
Artists for Artists.

Offline buloy214

« Reply #119 on: August 09, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »
e-heads

Offline ako si superman

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #120 on: August 09, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »
! Eraserheads !

Offline ortigas

« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2006, 12:00:30 AM »
Juan Dela Cruz Band...hands down. No one else has been as influential since.

Offline pearljam

« Reply #122 on: August 26, 2006, 11:30:16 AM »
ang best na banda based on songs theyve written and popularized........
no doubt ,  ERASERHEADS!!!
we cud all agree about that seriously...though they'r not that good in playing their songs live.di ba?honeslty..d best cla na band in terms of songs made & popularized.teka....di ko nga mabilang eh!
not enuf ung anthology album..cno ba local band na may ganun ka daming hits?
but den agen...i wont debate about dem being good playing their songs live.still, deyr d best 4 me and most of us
Tish...kcuf...<br /><br /><br />

Offline balance

« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2006, 07:23:31 AM »
Eraserhead - kung album pag-uusapan
1st generation Rivermaya - kung live performance

Offline BIGVER

« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2006, 09:16:06 AM »
POT, Wolfgang, Razorback & Majesty :D