hulika

Author Topic: The Greatest Pinoy Rock Band of All Time Is...  (Read 99163 times)

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The Greatest Pinoy Rock Band of All Time Is...
« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2014, 09:01:40 AM »
Piece of this. Classic.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #326 on: November 22, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #327 on: November 22, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »
Greatest is Dead Ends

- first fully independent album release
-all their 3 other albums were also independently produced and released.
-they are known in undergroud scenes across the globe.
-their songs confronted the Marcos regime head on, risking their lives, they were even there during the EDSA revolution
-it was a time when rock/punk non conformist music was considered demonic, so imagine the struggle
-they didnt do catchy, pang masa songs, so for me, it means they were really into the art
-their last album mamatay sa ingay shows skilled they were, especially the late bassist Jay Dimalanta, and guess who played guitar in that album? right, Lourd de Veyra
-until now chief songwriter and vocalist Al dimalanta still plays without losing aggression in the band THROW, still truly "independent", has not sold out
-they have influenced countless kids to be inspired to form bands including a kid named RAYMOND MARASIGAN, who even mentioned them in of his songs from his side project.
- all their lyrics about the struggles of youth and politics are still very much current. they werent spoiled, rich brats and were in the thick of things during the notoriously dangerous 80s punk scene, 

So there, that's my critical analysis, Dead Ends showed both integrity and skill plus relevance. I look at bands/artists based on what their intentions are. And Al DImalanta was a poet of the streets who bravely shouted against an infamously oppresive  regime with straight uncloaked lyrics and also sang about the dysfunctions of adolescence without the usual imagery of drugged out and drunken rockers.

BOW.

If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2014, 06:45:45 PM »
Greatest is Dead Ends

- first fully independent album release
-all their 3 other albums were also independently produced and released.
-they are known in undergroud scenes across the globe.
-their songs confronted the Marcos regime head on, risking their lives, they were even there during the EDSA revolution
-it was a time when rock/punk non conformist music was considered demonic, so imagine the struggle
-they didnt do catchy, pang masa songs, so for me, it means they were really into the art
-their last album mamatay sa ingay shows skilled they were, especially the late bassist Jay Dimalanta, and guess who played guitar in that album? right, Lourd de Veyra
-until now chief songwriter and vocalist Al dimalanta still plays without losing aggression in the band THROW, still truly "independent", has not sold out
-they have influenced countless kids to be inspired to form bands including a kid named RAYMOND MARASIGAN, who even mentioned them in of his songs from his side project.
- all their lyrics about the struggles of youth and politics are still very much current. they werent spoiled, rich brats and were in the thick of things during the notoriously dangerous 80s punk scene, 

So there, that's my critical analysis, Dead Ends showed both integrity and skill plus relevance. I look at bands/artists based on what their intentions are. And Al DImalanta was a poet of the streets who bravely shouted against an infamously oppresive  regime with straight uncloaked lyrics and also sang about the dysfunctions of adolescence without the usual imagery of drugged out and drunken rockers.

BOW.

wow! I love your take on.. "I look at bands/artists based on what their intentions are."  top notch!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #329 on: November 23, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
Greatest is Dead Ends

di ba pwedeng Urban Bandits o Wuds o Betrayed o RDA o IOV they also had the same integrity  :lol:
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
para sa akin...eheads. the way they sustained their marketability is amazing for a local band...yeah medyo sell out pero magaling talaga eh.
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline jeba_03

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2014, 12:22:12 PM »
The wuds - for not selling out
Eheads - for opening the flood gates
Razorback/Spy - for rocking hard
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. -BM

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »
di ba pwedeng Urban Bandits o Wuds o Betrayed o RDA o IOV they also had the same integrity  :lol:

hehe, opinion ko lang naman. plus points kase ng dead ends, sila talaga first independent release, tapos hanggang ngayon tuloy pa rin sila sa THROW, kaka release lang ng STAND na album. Di sila tumigil, or Al to be specific.

Yung Wuds well, na question sila nung pinayagan nilang irecord ng Rivermaya yung Inosente..., alam mo naman maraming taas kilay sa eksena. lol
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline ozborne

« Reply #333 on: January 03, 2015, 01:22:57 PM »
 kasama ito sa the greatest pinoy rock band  "Sampaguita" "rock n roll"  :mrgreen:
"one is too many a thousand is not enough"

Offline Magus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2015, 08:40:20 AM »
The Wuds and Philippine violators.

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #335 on: February 06, 2015, 03:21:19 PM »
how do we gauge greatness?

number of albums? frequency of gigs?  number of major concerts? number of HIT songs (on-air)? volume of attendance? music videos? AWARDS?

we need also need to consider the timeline of success  --> if  BAND A sold millions of copies of their album in months Vs. BAND B also sold the same amount but counted decade.

can we count the underground scene?

well most of the bands mentioned're really great

if the thread is about personal answer --->

eto mga babad sa aming mumunting karaoke cassette player noong 90's (AS IN BABAD)

cassette na pinagpasapasahan
--> re-record sa double deck na player basta lumabas na sa LA105
---> naka play lang ang C-90 na tape hanggang matapos ang programa
---> then manual cropping ng kanta
---> record ulit

(random)

maria cafra
asin
GI and the idiots
betrayed
IOV
askals
deceased
drastic noise
the teeth
third world chaos
dahong palay
pulpito
bad omen
lamat
deadnails
manang damo
general luna (not the chick band)
re-animator
POT
FRANCISM
KNK
death after birth
electric skychurch
urban bandits
yano
phil vio
dead ends
coritha
buklod
anakbayan
labuyo
hudas
gary granada
bagong lumad.
the youth
the wuds
wolfgang
razorback
backdraft
JDLC band

try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #336 on: February 07, 2015, 07:33:42 AM »
kasama ito sa the greatest pinoy rock band  "Sampaguita" "rock n roll"  :mrgreen:

Gary Perez and the boys of Anak Bayan were just brought in to be a backing band for Sampaguita. I don't know but
YMMV. I do count Sampaguita (band) works to be among OPM's best imo
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline reno_of_the_turks

« Reply #337 on: April 17, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
eheads

Offline chuck_liddell

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #338 on: June 19, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
Wolfgang and Razorback.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

The Iceman!

Offline Drummeroo

• Formerly known as "Iyan"
  • Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #339 on: November 21, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »
Mabigat yung question, parang bias IMO, marami kasi sila masyado at dumidipende sa taste ng tagapakinig.

Pero ang mga nasa puso ko is POT, JDLC, Wolfgang, kahit medyo malayo sama ko na si Dong Abay  :-D
Nakipag 69 ako and then kakatapos lang pala niyang umebs, eh hindi ko natanong sa kanya , nasabik eh, ayun pati ebs nakain ko. Hindi ko nalang sinabi sa kanya baka ma offe

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #340 on: November 23, 2015, 07:57:56 AM »
imo, Juan Dela Cruz laid the groundwork of pinoy rock.

and im willing to take NAIA bullets for that statement.
I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline sigbinblue

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #341 on: December 02, 2015, 11:27:36 PM »
Asin! i admire them!

Sent from my SM-P355 using Tapatalk