hulika

Author Topic: Let's celebrate a Blue Xmas!  (Read 16491 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Let's celebrate a Blue Xmas!
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:42:30 AM »
Guys, I thought you'd like to know we are organizing a "Blue Christmas" party/concert at Conspiracy for Dec 15.

* Jook Joint Jam [/color] [/b] (w/ Kakoi, Reuben, and me... Formerly known as D3, kaso di naman kami laging 3 dobros... more like an old-style jug band + all sorts of jammers on various instruments and vocal)

Some ideas to make this "xmas party for blue people fun" (haha--- oxymoron!):
- I'm thinking of asking the bands to do at least one bluesy xmas song each.  Up to them what they want to sing/play basta blues-influenced. I think Gerry (Blueskrieg cd producer) will sponsor a prize for the best xmas song performance!
- Band members and audience will be enjoined to come (and play) in their xmas attire or costumes (I wanna see BB in a Santa Claus costume while riffing on a cherry red 335!)
- Organize an "exchange gift" (ie, cd) for those willing to participate (band member or audience/guest).  Each participant brings a blues cd he/she thinks other people might enjoy. Tapos exchange gift tayo at one point in the program. Pwede ring 'pass it  forward' style so you can sort of pick what you like and to avoid getting a cd you already have in your collection.
- at siyempre, open jam!

C'mon blues brothers, let's pitch in to make this a fun Blue Christmas. Thanksgiving na rin natin for the wonderful year of blues that 2006 has been and panalangin na rin for an even bluer 2007 (eg, Blueskrieg cd ;-))!!!

PS - Thanks to vjoe for the poster/flyer!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:05:14 AM by deltaslim »

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Let's celebrate a Blue Xmas!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:07:24 AM »
Delta -- the blue rats are in. Jingle Blues.  :-D

Careful what you wish for.... you just may get it.... HOHOHOHO!  :wink:

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 11:34:15 AM »
Woohooo!  I'm happy to remove the suffix to the band lineup. :-)

Masaya to!  Calling on old and new friends alike: JC, af_villaruel Kulas, deaconblues, psychichsushi, RonnieA, musguit1, BAMF, jazzhombie, dominant_chord, etc ...  Let's get together guys!

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 12:02:22 PM »
Woohooo!  I'm happy to remove the suffix to the band lineup. :-)

Masaya to!  Calling on old and new friends alike: JC, af_villaruel Kulas, deaconblues, psychichsushi, RonnieA, musguit1, BAMF, jazzhombie, dominant_chord, etc ...  Let's get together guys!

wow ok to ah<call ako jan!

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 07:38:27 PM »
sana saturday or sunday para maka jam naman ako

Offline 430nmtune

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 02:50:22 PM »
Sana sa sabado na lang. Dec 16. 

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 08:32:53 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion guys, but I checked w/ Conspi mgmt and they are already booked on other days.  So stick na lang tayo sa Dec 15 date natin.  Gawan nyo na lang paraan... this will make your Xmas complete.... pramis!

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »
Funny ... "Blue Xmas" is actually a tune by Miles Davis :-)

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 11:01:00 PM »
Funny ... "Blue Xmas" is actually a tune by Miles Davis :-)

Funny... I was just about to PM and invite you to come, Jim!  I didn't know about that Miles tune but I hope it will interest our cousins in blues -- the jazzers -- to come too.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 10:51:07 AM »
Update: Ang alam ko interested si Gerry (Blueskrieg record producer) mag sponsor ng prize for the best xmas costume!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:07:44 AM by deltaslim »

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 01:23:04 PM »
wow! saya nito!

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 02:52:26 PM »
hi....what time  will the show starts? Thanks

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 04:34:29 PM »
hey boss Allan!  i'm thinking we might start as early as 830am.  we want to give sufficient playing time to the featured bands, esp Blue Rats who are coming all the way from Makati, and also for open jam.

hope to see you there and pls invite your Conspi partners and the usual suspects (Magoo, etc.!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:15:08 AM by deltaslim »

Offline Allan Roy

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 05:39:53 PM »
thanks delta slim...me and the rest of the boys will be there for the Blue Christmas................

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2006, 01:18:25 AM »
jook joint jam.  astig! :-D

Offline rakrakan

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2006, 11:00:14 AM »
delta

"JOOK JOINT JAM" - JJJ parang wrestler yan ah. ayos ang mga pangalan na kino-coin mo, hehhe.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 09:14:04 AM »
delta

"JOOK JOINT JAM" - JJJ parang wrestler yan ah. ayos ang mga pangalan na kino-coin mo, hehhe.

That's the long version, pero Jook Jam lang for short. Didn't want to call it just Jook Jam cuz there's an mp3 player by that name.   But the idea is essentially a jam-style group focusing on jook joint type music in an old streetcorner, jug-band style approach... country blues, ragtime, spirituals/old black gospel, 60s/troubadour type tunes, and everything else we feel like it.  We welcome jook jammers on any instrument (kazoo, washboard, jug!)  basta swak sa music!  :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 08:36:48 AM »
Ayus... this is building up to be one awesome shebang!  Abangan nyo ung mga guest players ng bands!

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 04:18:55 PM »
Ayus... this is building up to be one awesome shebang!  Abangan nyo ung mga guest players ng bands!

Merry Christmas To all and happy new year see you all at this party!!!! :lol:

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 07:28:34 PM »
delta

That's the long version, pero Jook Jam lang for short. Didn't want to call it just Jook Jam cuz there's an mp3 player by that name.   But the idea is essentially a jam-style group focusing on jook joint type music in an old streetcorner, jug-band style approach... country blues, ragtime, spirituals/old black gospel, 60s/troubadour type tunes, and everything else we feel like it.  We welcome jook jammers on any instrument (kazoo, washboard, jug!)  basta swak sa music!  :-)

Jook joint is highly appropriate - in the segregated American south these were the only clubs that were open to blacks and this is where blues and RnB thrived and evolved. If not  for the jook joint network in the "chitlin' circuit" the blues wouldn't have traveled up north to Chicago where it got electrified as all hell.

For a film/movie reference, check out the "Color Purple" - lots of scenes there take place at the jook joint.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:30:18 PM by JimAyson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 09:43:18 PM »
+1   

There were other venues for those types of music, but they didn't make for good band names: "Messyhands' Medicine Show"...  "Kakoy's Sanctified Convention"... "Fish Fry Papas"...  "Trio Tent Revival"... "Pugon Dough Boys"...

:-D

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2006, 03:36:00 AM »
We invited Jun Lopito to this Conspi extravaganza after he sat in on Hoochie Coochie Man and Crossroads with us last night at Handlebar. Hope he makes it. Would be a truly "blue X'mas!  :-D

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 09:11:43 AM »
jun lopito!!! grabe sobrang kikiligin ako kung maka-jam ko yun. total fanboy geekness.  :-D

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 10:47:10 AM »
We invited Jun Lopito to this Conspi extravaganza after he sat in on Hoochie Coochie Man and Crossroads with us last night at Handlebar. Hope he makes it. Would be a truly "blue X'mas!  :-D

OMFG! 

BB, when I said "special guest", I didn't mean"deity"!  Gotta go woodshed....

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 01:05:24 PM »
aaarrrrggghhhh!!! now i really feel like pulling my hair out. if i had any.