hulika

Author Topic: Life Hacks for Guitarists  (Read 36797 times)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Life Hacks for Guitarists
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »

Pwede ba yung:

use a hairtie with garter (Pangipit na may garter) to mute your open strings.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 03:36:21 PM »
I don't know if this is a life hack  :eek:, put a couple e,G,B on your gigbag, will save you on desperate times on gigs just to get by. of course after the gig change the whole set with your favorite branded strings  :-D

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 06:23:09 PM »
I don't know if this is a life hack  :eek:, put a couple e,G,B on your gigbag, will save you on desperate times on gigs just to get by. of course after the gig change the whole set with your favorite branded strings  :-D

nakaka-asar yung muka nung butterfly  :idea:
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?

Offline joel_marcelo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
nakaka-asar yung muka nung butterfly :idea:
GOLD. HAHAHAHA

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
nakaka-asar yung muka nung butterfly  :idea:

*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 06:59:04 PM »
mag suksok ng pick sa isang tenga, para pag nabitawan mo yung gamit mo, dyaran! may kapalit agad
ang bumasa nito may t@e sa pwet!

Offline j-sonic

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 07:06:55 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA!! another good one!!!

XX. Drop your pick during an intense jam?  Get one of those pick holders and smack a piece of velcro on the back and place it on a prominent easy to access place on your pedalboard...so when you drop a pick you can easily go down and slide an extra pick out..quickly..
better than those tin cans (altoids,rio etc) where you have to pop the lid open first to reach for a pick..

or slide folders could make great pick holders..mounted on a mic stand or kahit sa pedal board..

Haha,been using that for 20 years
This spot is for lease. Please message me for details.

Offline brandey

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
May share rin ako :)

VELCRO IS YOUR FRIEND :razz:

1. I find it easier to use velcro like this on pedals. Just cheap no adheseve velcro will do.

2. Using velcro to stick a glass slide on the lower horn of my guitar for easy access.

3. Instead of screws on the back plate... I use VElcro hehehe. Kelangan ko talaga yung backplate. Naiipit kasi lagi sa shirt ko yung tremsetter. With velcro its easier to change strings and do quick adjustments.

4. The best place to stick a pick holder. The BACK of the upper horn. Sobrang dali kunin at itago yung pick. Nasasagwaan kasi ako pag kita sa harap yung pick holder. I plan to use velcro rin para pwede ko ilipat lipat sa ibang guitars ko yung pick holder. Pero saka nalang pag hindi na dumikit yung double sided tape.

5. I always write down the date of string change on masking tape and stick it behind the head stock. With this I will know when to change strings. Pag elixirs kasi kahit matagal na mukhang bago parin. Every 3 months akong nagpapalit para siguradong hindi ako mapuputulan ng strings.

6. This is what I ALWAYS HAVE on my gig bag.
 - clip on tuner ( may mga times talaga na kailangan mag tune off stage)
 - extra capo
 - extra strings
    - as you can see these are the old set of strings that I removed from my guitar. I stick the masking tape with the date on the box so I will know how old the strings are. I always use Elixirs now. Kahit napag lumaan na pwede parin pang reserba.  :cool: :razz:

Offline Brewstein15

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »
loose thread screw holes?get a kawayan or BBQ stick,put it in the hole and screw it altogether.tapos ang loose thread problem. :-D
references: Zakiya897, Llever_custom, amorkulasisi, mikko21ganja, ryann, darxide_chronology, hwan, brax_monster, zero44, renmarquez, rowell.sales

Offline UselessFingers17

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 10:37:36 PM »

Pwede ba yung:

use a hairtie with garter (Pangipit na may garter) to mute your open strings.

yung parang ganito ba yan sir :-D

share na rin ako. apply clear nail polish sa mga screws para di madaling kalawangin at laging mukang bago  :)

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »
loose thread screw holes?get a kawayan or BBQ stick,put it in the hole and screw it altogether.tapos ang loose thread problem. :-D

pwede din palito ng posporo

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 07:54:37 AM »
10. Pag grounded yung guitar amp, i use another guitar cable to ground it to anything metal. Kung ano malapit e.g. SPUR NG BASS DRUM, KEYBOARD STAND, GUITAR STAND,,, then use a tape or duct tape.

Nyahahaha GREAT TIP!! now this is LIFE HACK WORTHY!! haha

pano sya exactly? like where do i put the other cable to ground it? di ko ma visualize haha. i wanna try this out.  :-D

Oo nga, this is really interesting but san nga please nakakabit yung other end that's connected to another piece of bakal object as suggested? At pano?

Offline Freak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 09:28:30 AM »
You got a new pickup but doesn't come with springs?

Go look for old push-type ballpens  :wink:

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »
1.  Breaking strings on your saddles?  Use a pencil and  'write' on the points of contact (of the strings) of the saddle before installing new strings.

2.  Acoustic guitars with month old strings, but not as brilliant as when they were new?  Detune the strings to near inaudible but retain enough tension. Then pop the strings (as if you were a bass player, only more exaggerated, as if you were pulling a bow and arrow) and do it repeatedly for 2 minutes.  Then, tune back to pitch.  Brilliance will mysteriously be back.

3. Removing rubber shims from wah pedals (the ones found underneath the toe and the heel positions of the pedal) and replacing with thinner rubber can extend wah sweep range.

4. Connecting a patch cable thus shorting your effects loop adds gain. 

5.  Removing the RCA plugs to reverb tanks can work as makeshift DI outs on your amp.

6.  Stereo 4x12s can work as two guitar cabs for two heads.  Make sure you turn on the Stereo Switch and the impedances match though.

7.  Strat users who hate accidentally turning down the volume knob during performances remove the volume knob.

8.  The best sounding Strats are found by strumming them on the guitar hanger and holding the lower bout and upper cutaway and seeing if the vibrations are strong enough.

9.  Break in new speakers by connecting your laptop to your amp and generate various wave forms like sine wave 10Hz, 20Hz, 60Hz, etc. then also do square wave once in a while to simulate distortion.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »
May share rin ako :)

VELCRO IS YOUR FRIEND :razz:

1. I find it easier to use velcro like this on pedals. Just cheap no adheseve velcro will do.

2. Using velcro to stick a glass slide on the lower horn of my guitar for easy access.

3. Instead of screws on the back plate... I use VElcro hehehe. Kelangan ko talaga yung backplate. Naiipit kasi lagi sa shirt ko yung tremsetter. With velcro its easier to change strings and do quick adjustments.

4. The best place to stick a pick holder. The BACK of the upper horn. Sobrang dali kunin at itago yung pick. Nasasagwaan kasi ako pag kita sa harap yung pick holder. I plan to use velcro rin para pwede ko ilipat lipat sa ibang guitars ko yung pick holder. Pero saka nalang pag hindi na dumikit yung double sided tape.

5. I always write down the date of string change on masking tape and stick it behind the head stock. With this I will know when to change strings. Pag elixirs kasi kahit matagal na mukhang bago parin. Every 3 months akong nagpapalit para siguradong hindi ako mapuputulan ng strings.

6. This is what I ALWAYS HAVE on my gig bag.
 - clip on tuner ( may mga times talaga na kailangan mag tune off stage)
 - extra capo
 - extra strings
    - as you can see these are the old set of strings that I removed from my guitar. I stick the masking tape with the date on the box so I will know how old the strings are. I always use Elixirs now. Kahit napag lumaan na pwede parin pang reserba.  :cool: :razz:

I like the number 5! hahahaha malaking tulong sa mga makakalimutin na katulad ko hahaha
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline roei03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »
mabilis ba kalawangin strings mo? use wd40.
pagkatapos gamitin ang gitara, punasan ng maigi ng basahan ang strings.
ngayon, mag spray ng konting wd40 sa isang bilog na basahan (yung gamit ng mga jeepney driver)
mag singit ng makapal na papel o karton sa pagitan ng strings at fretboard para maiwasang malagyan ng wd40 ang fretboard.
ipunas ang wd40 sa strings ng paulit ulit.
been doing this since 2008, ang average lifespan ng strings sakin dati ay 2 months lang, dahil acidic ang pawis ko, ngayon tumatagal na ng 6-9 months ang isang set ng power slinky sakin.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 10:34:19 AM »
8.  The best sounding Strats are found by strumming them on the guitar hanger and holding the lower bout and upper cutaway and seeing if the vibrations are strong enough.

WOW! this is good..

Yup, I too find wd40 handy with guitar stuff..especially cleaning rusted strings...it smoothes out the string from rough rust build up..and you can play it again..

being away for months at a time and coming back with rust on my stings..is normal..I dont want to restring a new set and just use it for a few days..so I just go the wd40 way...

watch out though..sometimes it can discolor your necks..especially maple,light colored necks..
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline Mocho

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2013, 10:48:45 AM »
Use Super Glue on nut slots that are cut too deep, apply carefully with a toothpick. Used in on my pre-slotted graphtech nut na di sakto yung cut sa G string.

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
1.  Breaking strings on your saddles?  Use a pencil and  'write' on the points of contact (of the strings) of the saddle before installing new strings.

2.  Acoustic guitars with month old strings, but not as brilliant as when they were new?  Detune the strings to near inaudible but retain enough tension. Then pop the strings (as if you were a bass player, only more exaggerated, as if you were pulling a bow and arrow) and do it repeatedly for 2 minutes.  Then, tune back to pitch.  Brilliance will mysteriously be back.

3. Removing rubber shims from wah pedals (the ones found underneath the toe and the heel positions of the pedal) and replacing with thinner rubber can extend wah sweep range.

4. Connecting a patch cable thus shorting your effects loop adds gain. 

5.  Removing the RCA plugs to reverb tanks can work as makeshift DI outs on your amp.

6.  Stereo 4x12s can work as two guitar cabs for two heads.  Make sure you turn on the Stereo Switch and the impedances match though.

7.  Strat users who hate accidentally turning down the volume knob during performances remove the volume knob.

9.  Break in new speakers by connecting your laptop to your amp and generate various wave forms like sine wave 10Hz, 20Hz, 60Hz, etc. then also do square wave once in a while to simulate distortion.

Susubukan ko nga yang 8 sa stores! Haha

Yang 9, gagawin ko naman break-in sa ear/headphones pag bago(pwede naman diba? :-D)

BTT:

For faster and accurate tuning, use the neck pickup and roll the tone knob down.. Mas mabilis at accurate mag tono, di ko alam exact explanation kung bakit, nabasa ko lang to somewhere dati! Subukan niyo..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:02:57 AM by CeL1916 »
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline SeafoodPancake

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »

For floyded guitars. I use a 9v battery (the rectangular one) as "pang-kalang" under the back of the bridge in the recess to stop the tension for re-stringing or set-up purposes.
"got milk?" ,"got GAS?"

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2013, 01:27:28 PM »
learn to roadie wrap your cables to prevent them from getting tangled up. youtube "roadie wrap"

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2013, 04:11:12 PM »
learn to play a guitar solo in a single string para pag naputulan ng middle string (D,G or B)...you can still pull of an awesome solo  :-D

I saw Steve Vai do this. Naputol yung string nya (high E or B ata) tapos nag one string solo na lang sya and it still sounded great  :)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »
Apply KIWI dark shoe shine to maple fretboard for a more vintage look.

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Apply KIWI dark shoe shine to maple fretboard for a more vintage look.

Kiwi brown? Hindi ba siya magiging mejo reddish bro?

Offline ben10k

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2013, 02:56:22 AM »
Use micro-fiber cloth when removing dust from your guitar to prevent scratches from too much cleaning.