hulika

Author Topic: The One Guitar (a TBT thought)  (Read 4423 times)

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
The One Guitar (a TBT thought)
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:09:43 PM »
ever thought of having and playing just one guitar (ok, 1 electric and 1 acoustic) like in the old days where a guitar was seen as an "investment"?

like a piano, where a household, if it were to have one, was expected to have just 1 piano.

or, instead of owning several ok guitars, owning (and playing) just 1 good one.

which one of your guitars would it be? i'm having trouble deciding. but i like the idea.

Offline stompmoko

• Forum Fanatic
Re: The One Guitar (a TBT thought)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
tele

maple board, alder body, bindings..straight up workhorse

though i use my other guitar for gigging, mas masarap tingnan yung feekchurz :-D
color of the day is monkey sh1t brown

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 05:52:07 PM »
I had a Variax for the longest time, and I did end up selling all my other guitars.  Seemed redundant.

But now that it's gone, I'm going back to my college sweetheart, the Strat (well, copy lang).  Like stompmoko, I like the workhorse attitude - the more you scratch it, bash it, thrash it, the better it looks and feels.  Di kailangang i-baby.  Ang dali pang i-modify, parang each Strat is more of a personal statement, rather than a statement of the company that made it.
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline musicjunkie

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
Yeah. I think I like the idea of having just one electric and one acoustic. I think my other guitars are just crutches for that case when I want a different sound. But then again, I only end up playing one guitar all the time any way.

I recently thinned my herd significantly.

If I would end up today with just one acoustic and one electric it would be:
Nash 60s custom telecaster
K. Yairi dreadnought

Offline ryechua

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
can't decide. difficult to choose just one from the trinity - strat, tele and les paul  :x
doh!!!

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »
I have always thought I'd be satisfied with just one Ibanez RG, having known about the split coil configurations and the Floyd. Now I'm still GASsing for a classic Strat, which Ibanez have always maintained they 'improved' with the RG. :oops:

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 07:42:35 PM »
With what I have right now, the one guitar would be the tele.  :-D

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »
Darn...  Ang sakit sa ulo.   :-\

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:26 PM »
Yan gusto ko dati, one acoustic and one les paul. Now that I got a tele and sold the lp, I'm letting go of the acoustic. Di na ko enjoy mag gitara na unplugged, and the tele on neck or mid switch is a nice substitute to my plugged acoustic. I can go clean or crunched on the same guitar.

Offline vittobrat

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »
1952 telecaster...

ash body, maple neck...

will mod the bridge to have " ghost " system.

para may electric/acoustic sound

:-)
The fear of death.
Make the climb; without the rope.
Then fear will find you again.

Offline nickson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
I've been giving it some thought. I think my 1 of my les pauls will be enough. Which one? I don't know yet.
“I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to everyone who will take it.., seek knowledge from those wiser than me and try to teach those who wish to learn from me.”

― Duane Allman

Offline gainsucker

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 08:22:13 PM »

Offline fizz450_03

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
from my current line up, i'll keep the Pro II simply because it's the most versatile among what i own.
Bedroom Rock Guitar

check out my blog @ http://lifeinadreamlessworld.wordpress.com

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
fender jaguar
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline little_devil

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 12:22:38 AM »
Fender Stratocaster - a guitar i'd love to grow old with. :)
rock n' roll

Offline jannten

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »
daming tele sagot. hehe. hirap kasi ako sa 15-21fret  nung nagkatele ako eh. hehe.
SG Special siguro sakin. Set neck, doublecut, no bindings, dot inlays.

I'm not into pretty guitars. heheheh

Offline bendedbeam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 01:37:43 AM »
I've always been 1 electric, 1 acoustic guy. From EVH Sta Mesa copy :wink: to, Squier Strat, Washburn LP type, Dean V, Peavey EVH Wolfgang, now PRS SE 245. It's like the continuous search for that ONE tone... I think I'll be staying with the singlecut for a long time. I like the chunk the heaviness and sustain. Never went back to single coils after my first HB experience...
---------------------------------
It's not the guitar's fault...

Offline guitarpraise

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 01:55:28 AM »
A '57ri Strat. This will definitely age with me  :)
ako kasi kala ko kaboses ko si john lennon noon, pero marami nagsasabi na mas kaboses ko si dolphy.

Offline aaronlara

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 02:19:47 AM »
Hmm.

My old Chinese Telecaster copy. I currently own quite a number of "better" and mostly branded guitars already but, through the years I've always leaned back and rely on that old cheapo. Quite stands the fact its not entirely on the brand, quality of materials used or where it was made etc. I just happen to be lucky enough to get the right sounding one for me. If anything bad happens involving my rig (knock on wood), this definitely is the guitar I will save first. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:29:35 AM by aaronlara »

Offline simon_divitico

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 03:52:53 AM »
I am a practical guy so I would go for one that pretty much has everything. I am an LP guy but would rather go for my Ibanez Prestige for the following reasons:

- My RG has 24 frets and my LP doesn't
- My RG allows me to pitchbend with its trem bar easily and my LP doesn't
- My RG has a mid pup that give's more tone variation and my LP doesn't

so there... I would rather go for the one that would bring me more stuff onto my table than be the slave-of-fat-tone, tone-geek guy I have been and have limitations with what I can do
FS EPIPHONE LESPAUL STANDARD MIK P15K http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=297667.0

Offline Bart

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 04:08:46 AM »
I'd go with my parts Telemaster. It has most of the things I like in a guitar. The simplicity of the Telecaster electronics layout, the ergonomics and balance of the Jazzmaster body, and a comfortable 24.75" scale.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 05:55:36 AM »
I have this Jackson superstrat that I can not let go off. It sounds great for what its worth. If I get my Soloist, that probably will be a different story.

Offline toybitz

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
I did just that.

I just started appreciating the "use" of the guitar as opposed to the looks.  And so all the teles and strats went to the Classifieds section when my face turned sour every time I use a single coil.

For the looongest time ever, I just had two guitars.  An LP and a super strat (w/ humbuckers) - lighter option, as I don't use an acoustic guitar.

But at times, you just want to try out brands you've never had before, and so, my "3rd" is just an experiment.  Sayang eh, andito na, I'd like to try it muna.

Same with the amps, I had four.  But now maintaining two.  One I can use outdoors and one, inside.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:26 AM »
I just stuck with the trinity and I have a total of 6 right now, but if i were to choose from my herd, it'd be my white tele. But I'd love to keep just four (or even three).

Offline iamweird

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
I am a practical guy so I would go for one that pretty much has everything. I am an LP guy but would rather go for my Ibanez Prestige for the following reasons:

- My RG has 24 frets and my LP doesn't
- My RG allows me to pitchbend with its trem bar easily and my LP doesn't
- My RG has a mid pup that give's more tone variation and my LP doesn't

so there... I would rather go for the one that would bring me more stuff onto my table than be the slave-of-fat-tone, tone-geek guy I have been and have limitations with what I can do

Same reasons here but mine will be saber series.  :cool:
Instead of searching for what to buy next, why not search for what to learn next?