hulika

Author Topic: Guitar that fits your fingers  (Read 1662 times)

Offline justinjustin08

Guitar that fits your fingers
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:38:15 AM »
Have you ever had the problem that you are squeezing your fingers so bad in the frets of your guitar that you actually decided to sell your guitar cause it's so frustrating kasi alam mong hindi mangyayari?  :cry: Yung gustong gusto mo yung gitara mo pero wala eh, badtrip yung mataba mong daliri na ayaw makisama para hindi sumabit sa ibang strings?

I sold my EC because of this and my other EC is rotting (not literally) because of this. Everytime I play it, nakakafrustrate.  :oops: The only guitar that I have that is good for my cute fingers is my KH which obviously can't be used other songs aside from chug chugs kasi, hmm, medyo awkward.

May kwentong ganito ka ba ba? Gitarang gusto mo pero hindi fit sayo o nagiisa lang ako?  :eek:

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Guitar that fits your fingers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
I grew up playing fender-scaled guitars but for the last 5 or 6 years I've been playing Gibson-scaled guitars....I still want to go back to the strats and teles pero ayaw na ng daliri ko. ang lalayo ng mga frets.
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
Shorter scale = shorter fret gap + lesser string tension = shorter fingurz x lots of practise = happy guitarist
"creeping deeaath"

Offline ubersam

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
I also learned on a Fender/25.5" scale but can easily transition to the shorter Gibson/24.75" scale or a 34" 5-string bass scale. Sanayan lang yan. Practice. Find out, discover and develop your technique para walang sabit pag tugtog. Meron akong kilalang guitarista na Hawaiian, ang mga daliri nya ay parang maliliit na longganisa. Pero malinis tumugtog.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
i find stevie ray vaughans hands to be uber big compared to the space between frets.

a lot of famous guitarists have big hands, not to mention most of them are caucasian and african american.

personally i wish my hands were a bit bigger/longer fingers.  pero nasa diskarte na yan. create your own style.

just my 2 cents

Offline iamppej

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »
Have you ever had the problem that you are squeezing your fingers so bad in the frets of your guitar that you actually decided to sell your guitar cause it's so frustrating kasi alam mong hindi mangyayari?  :cry: Yung gustong gusto mo yung gitara mo pero wala eh, badtrip yung mataba mong daliri na ayaw makisama para hindi sumabit sa ibang strings?

I sold my EC because of this and my other EC is rotting (not literally) because of this. Everytime I play it, nakakafrustrate.  :oops: The only guitar that I have that is good for my cute fingers is my KH which obviously can't be used other songs aside from chug chugs kasi, hmm, medyo awkward.

May kwentong ganito ka ba ba? Gitarang gusto mo pero hindi fit sayo o nagiisa lang ako?  :eek:

ako my finger only fits a strat or tele and Ibanez guitars. tried using LP types but my tone is not solid as I play on a strat,tele or iby.
If there is no music there is no life!  Just like If there is no GOD there is no LIFE!

Offline rockarolla

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:12:53 AM »
been playing strats/teles for years but my fingers are more comfortable with les pauls.
Some musicians may become a Yngwie Malmsteen, others maybe will become a humble Paul Gilbert.

Offline KennyKen

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »
If you have thin, frail fingers...buy a short-scale guitar

If you have fat finger bones then obviously the more logical choice is get a larger-scale guitar (harder to bend)

Pero the thing is, kahit bumili ka ng sampung mamahaling gitara ay nakasisiguro ako na iisa lang dun ang magiging favorite mo, Human nature I guess  :)

Nuno has his beloved N4, Hammett has his ESP Frankenstein, EVH has his Frankenstrat, BB King has his ''Lucille''...the list goes on and on...

Offline justinjustin08

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 06:04:26 AM »
It's not the scale of the fret board yung problem ko with other guitars, it's the spacing between each string. Nagtry ako maganalyze kung bakit ganun, tingin ko nasa 'softness' ng daliri ko. Alam mo yung concept ng flat tire vs well-inflated tire? Yung less surface vs more surface touching the ground? I guess that's the best description on what I'm trying to say. Don't get me wrong, I can play, not a pro, but I can play. Naisip ko lang to nung bumalik ako ulit sa paggigitara. Nakakainis na nakakatawa on my part  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 06:19:23 AM »
I always have trouble playing cleanly with LP-type necks. Mas mataba yun neck, mas hirap ako. Though madali tumipa ng chords, hirap naman sa fast runs (arpeggios, legatos, etc.).

I kinda developed a different perspective towards such difficult guitar necks though. Iniisip ko na parang nagwe-weight training mga daliri ko kapag matabang neck gamit ko para pag lipat ko sa workhorse guitar, aba, sarap buhay na mga daliri ko! I fumble on the fretboard much easier. :lol:
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline opencoke

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 03:07:05 AM »
It's not the scale of the fret board yung problem ko with other guitars, it's the spacing between each string. Nagtry ako maganalyze kung bakit ganun, tingin ko nasa 'softness' ng daliri ko. Alam mo yung concept ng flat tire vs well-inflated tire? Yung less surface vs more surface touching the ground? I guess that's the best description on what I'm trying to say. Don't get me wrong, I can play, not a pro, but I can play. Naisip ko lang to nung bumalik ako ulit sa paggigitara. Nakakainis na nakakatawa on my part  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same here lol.

Hirap na hirap ako mag legato sa neck na maliit ung gap between strings kumpara sa wide necks.
Paf joe, Evo2, Breeds... STEVE VAI <3

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 04:21:16 AM »
Guess that's why I bond so well with les pauls and PRSi.. Even the 'thin' neck versions feel hefty and comfortable to play. Before electrics, I'm so used to playing acoustics that strats and other thin neck shred guitars feel REALLY awkward. The long scale doesn't help also.

As a previous poster said, you can try and get used to the changes in neck shapes (will probably make you a better guitar player in the long run), but you'll always have a favorite, and there's nothing wrong with that.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline jm the mute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »

Pero the thing is, kahit bumili ka ng sampung mamahaling gitara ay nakasisiguro ako na iisa lang dun ang magiging favorite mo, Human nature I guess  :)

I agree. back then, I think I had around 6 or 9 guitars...ended up just using the one that had the most stable tuning.
"there is a fine line between art and mukhang T-A-N-G-A"

https://soundcloud.com/jm-the-mute

Offline juan_alderete

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »
this is the reason I sold my fender jag, short scale hehe, hindi ko natagalan, too bad it was a great guitar  :cry:  even gibson scale doesn't fit me well, normal fender lang talaga paired with vintage radius and frets perfect fit hehe  as for the benefits of extra frets hehe just bend it haha

Offline d_one

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »

Hirap nga yan. You can go for the C-shaped necks which have wider spaces between strings pero not as thick as the v-shaped ones. Eto this article might help you a little bit:
http://www.a-violin.com/blog/?p=220