hulika

Author Topic: Home Recording (Bedroom Players)  (Read 250088 times)

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Home Recording (Bedroom Players)
« Reply #650 on: October 27, 2015, 11:26:05 PM »
Nice , Scarlett 2i2 seems to be a favorite among the members here. :)

I have the AT2020, love that mic, so pristine.
Yes bro hehe ganda preamps ng scarlett eh. Yep, I also love the AT2020. ;)
The blues don't change.

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #651 on: October 27, 2015, 11:29:04 PM »
^Shots fired!I repeat Shots Fired! RATS boys assemble!!!!!!!!!!! BTT: I can't comment on the recording per se I am noob at it.
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #652 on: October 27, 2015, 11:39:08 PM »
^Shots fired!I repeat Shots Fired! RATS boys assemble!!!!!!!!!!! BTT: I can't comment on the recording per se I am noob at it.
Hahahahaha joke lang paps, ikaw naman oh. HAHA
The blues don't change.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #653 on: October 28, 2015, 08:24:31 AM »

ibig sabihin hindi si ms jaja ang dadalhin mo under the sheets of love love love love?? what is this atrocity?! #JajanMayer2016
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline Stoop

« Reply #654 on: October 28, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »
Salamat sir!

That's actually a good question na narealize ko just now. Haha! Paano nga ba? Siguro kapag wala na ako marinig na pwede pang i-tweak or i-adjust. Yun solb na yun craving ko for that particular output na naiisip ko bago ko sya natapos. Nagrerecord kasi ako for personal purposes. Emotional outlet kumbaga. So kapag sa pandinig ko "nailabas" ko na, oks na ako.

Thanks man! Alalay lang talaga dapat sa gain para di maging muddy. Medyo demanding nga lang sa playing technique kaya inabot ng tatlong linggo bago ko natapos. Haha!

Salamat sir!  :)

Natanong ko lang kasi as far as YT goes with Mastering tutorials parang hindi ko masyado ma-grasp yun concept nya.
Kaya parang maganda din kung magkaroon ng defined difference between the two.

+1 dun sa alalay sa gain, as much as possible for me I try not to put the gain way past 1-o'clock - 1:30
and even then I feel like I'm already pushing it. If ever I feel na nakukulangan ako sa bigat I just do another extra guitar take for additional thickness and it never failed me yet.

Hmm nakakahiya magpost ng soundclips dito. Balang araw magpopost din ako dito hehehe.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #655 on: October 28, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »
Natanong ko lang kasi as far as YT goes with Mastering tutorials parang hindi ko masyado ma-grasp yun concept nya.
Kaya parang maganda din kung magkaroon ng defined difference between the two.

+1 dun sa alalay sa gain, as much as possible for me I try not to put the gain way past 1-o'clock - 1:30
and even then I feel like I'm already pushing it. If ever I feel na nakukulangan ako sa bigat I just do another extra guitar take for additional thickness and it never failed me yet.

Hmm nakakahiya magpost ng soundclips dito. Balang araw magpopost din ako dito hehehe.

sa recording/mixing kasi mostly by ear talaga sya, yung mga videos and tutorials shows how to do things and why. pag nakaupo ka na sa desk, yun it's all up to you, but it does help to have a reference track that has already been mastered. eventually magiging second nature na lang sya. pag dinaan mo sa A/B ang isang mix minsan night and day, minsan halos hindi mo matatanto yung difference pero malaki ang effect overall. in a way tama si boss boxedking, pag wala ka nang madagdag or matanggal, at swak na sa sound sa isip mo, yun na yun.

the usual mistake though is trying to jam "features" into a mix, parang, kelangan yung rhythm tone ni  guitarist A pero may punch ni guitarist b tapos etc etc. pwede naman, but only if you have the patience to record a certain line with a certain setting, then switch to another setup altogether for another line that needs a different mixing technique, which is what they do in big studios with reamp boxes routed to five amps with different mics and everything. if not that, it's good to stick to just a few sounds you can work with and get the best mix from that. not a solo tone, but a mix. the thing is you can get a killer solo tone, then you unmute the rest of the tracks and they sound like absolute crap.

case in point, I'm currently listening to the new Coheed album, and it's mixed well, but if you imagine to take away the bass and the drums, and the vocals, you'd be left with ultra trebley rhythm guitar tones which in itself would suck so much. that's also why I liked the result of the recorded tone of my ZT Lunchbox through a mic, because it's anemic on bass and it makes it that much easier to mix.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #656 on: October 28, 2015, 10:39:14 AM »
Hahahahahaha hindi bro. Next time na yung sa kanya.. HAHA charing. Maraming salamat bro :)

lance, pramis mo yan ha... aasahan namin yan.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #657 on: October 28, 2015, 10:45:45 AM »

Sheets of Love Part 2  :lol: yehey may emoticons na ulit!  :razz:

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #658 on: October 28, 2015, 01:04:15 PM »

Bigyan mo muna ako feedback hahahaha ikaw magaling sa acoustic eh <3  :lol:
The blues don't change.

Offline Stoop

« Reply #659 on: October 28, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »
sa recording/mixing kasi mostly by ear talaga sya, yung mga videos and tutorials shows how to do things and why. pag nakaupo ka na sa desk, yun it's all up to you, but it does help to have a reference track that has already been mastered. eventually magiging second nature na lang sya. pag dinaan mo sa A/B ang isang mix minsan night and day, minsan halos hindi mo matatanto yung difference pero malaki ang effect overall. in a way tama si boss boxedking, pag wala ka nang madagdag or matanggal, at swak na sa sound sa isip mo, yun na yun.

the usual mistake though is trying to jam "features" into a mix, parang, kelangan yung rhythm tone ni  guitarist A pero may punch ni guitarist b tapos etc etc. pwede naman, but only if you have the patience to record a certain line with a certain setting, then switch to another setup altogether for another line that needs a different mixing technique, which is what they do in big studios with reamp boxes routed to five amps with different mics and everything. if not that, it's good to stick to just a few sounds you can work with and get the best mix from that. not a solo tone, but a mix. the thing is you can get a killer solo tone, then you unmute the rest of the tracks and they sound like absolute crap.

case in point, I'm currently listening to the new Coheed album, and it's mixed well, but if you imagine to take away the bass and the drums, and the vocals, you'd be left with ultra trebley rhythm guitar tones which in itself would suck so much. that's also why I liked the result of the recorded tone of my ZT Lunchbox through a mic, because it's anemic on bass and it makes it that much easier to mix.

Cool and all good points sir.
By "jamming features" does that mean doing so much editing of the raw files?
I try to follow this by not putting so much plugins into my tracks whenever I try doing mixes.

And as far as sculpting my instrument's sound I always do it within the context of the mix.

Yun reference tracks nalang ang diko pa nattry but I'll get there soon enough.
Thanks for the ideas good sir!

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #660 on: October 28, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
Cool and all good points sir.
By "jamming features" does that mean doing so much editing of the raw files?
I try to follow this by not putting so much plugins into my tracks whenever I try doing mixes.

And as far as sculpting my instrument's sound I always do it within the context of the mix.

Yun reference tracks nalang ang diko pa nattry but I'll get there soon enough.
Thanks for the ideas good sir!

not really, but it's like trying to capture too many aspects or styles of sound for one track or instrument. for example, a drum track with a Lars Ulrich bass tone with a Dicta License snare sound and open jazz toms won't be a good drum kit sound at all for a pop tune.

yung reference track parang "goal" lang sya, yun yung gagayahin mo na "sound profile"  :) kunwari for acoustic tracks, ang reference ko yung XO cover ni John Mayer, dahil medyo raw, not much attack,warm pero malinaw. ang goal, pag pinila ko yung track ko dun sa kanta na yun, parang galing sila sa iisang album  :)

Offline Stoop

« Reply #661 on: October 28, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »
not really, but it's like trying to capture too many aspects or styles of sound for one track or instrument. for example, a drum track with a Lars Ulrich bass tone with a Dicta License snare sound and open jazz toms won't be a good drum kit sound at all for a pop tune.

yung reference track parang "goal" lang sya, yun yung gagayahin mo na "sound profile"  :) kunwari for acoustic tracks, ang reference ko yung XO cover ni John Mayer, dahil medyo raw, not much attack,warm pero malinaw. ang goal, pag pinila ko yung track ko dun sa kanta na yun, parang galing sila sa iisang album  :)

Ahh I see. Medyo nagets ko na. Parang mishmash of everything you can possibly think of and cram it everywhere which ways?

Parang galing sa iisang album? Takte parang ang hirap nun ahh?
Sige masubukan nga yan.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #662 on: October 28, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »
Ahh I see. Medyo nagets ko na. Parang mishmash of everything you can possibly think of and cram it everywhere which ways?

Parang galing sa iisang album? Takte parang ang hirap nun ahh?
Sige masubukan nga yan.

yeah parang ganun. with limited resources like ours, talagang mahirap yun unless mix ng tamang equipment at magic/luck  :lol:
mahirap sya, but it's a start. it does help lalo na pag kunwari gagawa ka na ng EP, mahirap yung bawat track iba-iba ang vibe. it's like a practice in consistency  :) some get that consistency to the point that you put on a local record and say, uy si angee rozul ang nag master nito, kahit magkaibang genre na   :lol:

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #663 on: October 28, 2015, 04:42:01 PM »
Bigyan mo muna ako feedback hahahaha ikaw magaling sa acoustic eh <3  :lol:

link mo sakin  FB paps, blocked kasi soundcloud dito sa opis eh :(
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sparkz21

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #664 on: October 28, 2015, 05:33:21 PM »
Since I was fiddling with my gadgets one night, I suddenly  had an idea, (di ko lang sure malamang may mga nakaisip nang gumawa neto) pero since my zoom g2.1u had an interface feature, I tried plugging in my mic into it and placed it in bypass mode, viola, I managed to record my voice. For easy switching between my mic and guitar, I plugged in my guitar and mic using a splitter. No control over vocals though since no eq, basically going to be software dependent. But sounds pretty decent. 
Here's the setup. 

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:35:42 PM by sparkz21 »
"What gets us into trouble is what we don't know. it is what we know for sure but it just ain't so." -mark twain

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #665 on: October 28, 2015, 05:48:19 PM »
Since I was fiddling with my gadgets one night, I suddenly  had an idea, (di ko lang sure malamang may mga nakaisip nang gumawa neto) pero since my zoom g2.1u had an interface feature, I tried plugging in my mic into it and placed it in bypass mode, viola, I managed to record my voice. For easy switching between my mic and guitar, I plugged in my guitar and mic using a splitter. No control over vocals though since no eq, basically going to be software dependent. But sounds pretty decent. 
Here's the setup. 

pano gumagana yung easy switching part gamit yung splitter?

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #666 on: October 28, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
Mukhang hindi switching ang datingan, both are running live simultaneously..

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #667 on: October 28, 2015, 05:52:05 PM »
Mukhang hindi switching ang datingan, both are running live simultaneously..

unless yung mic ay may switch tapos yung guitar naka zero yung volume knob?

Offline sparkz21

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #668 on: October 28, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »
Ibig ko lang sabihin, para di papalit palit ng cable sa switching. Turn off mic for instrument recording then bypass for vocal recording.

"What gets us into trouble is what we don't know. it is what we know for sure but it just ain't so." -mark twain

Offline sparkz21

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #669 on: October 28, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »
And yes zero volume pag vocals na.

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #670 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:57 PM »
How's the noise floor so far?

Offline sparkz21

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #671 on: October 28, 2015, 07:48:34 PM »
How's the noise floor so far?
Close to nil naman. Quite decent

Offline JanMayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #672 on: October 29, 2015, 12:16:08 AM »
link mo sakin  FB paps, blocked kasi soundcloud dito sa opis eh :(
Sige bro nalink ko na hahaha
The blues don't change.

Offline coy_2cute

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #673 on: October 29, 2015, 01:11:07 AM »
Recorded and mixed this demo para sa band when I'm still a wannabe guitarist way back 2012. Comments and violent reactions are welcome!  :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/cocoy-masagca/save-no-vocals-no-solo
Session Bassist here! Doing bass duties for Pulsera, •Rael• and The Very First Hey! Hire me! I'm Available!

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #674 on: October 29, 2015, 01:44:12 AM »
Eto yun mga EQ presets sa Reaper na ginagamit ko. Unbelievably good and usable para sa akin.

www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR