hulika

Author Topic: Great Guitar Tone and why it is Universal and NOT kanya kanya lang  (Read 41817 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
I decided to start  this thread so others can chime in without disrupting the Rizal Luthier's thread.

Since I started taking up drums, my guitar gear has been on the back burner.  I am not as up to date as I want to be with regards to it.  As a drummer, a lot of people get stuck with timbre AND thats what actually differentiates the expensive and great sounding drums from the cheap ones.  I am lucky to have afforded a one-off DW Collector's series along with Paiste Signatures which I feel have the best sounding CRASHES of any brand out there specially if you are into rock and heavy stuff.

For guitar, its that PLUS character.  Not only is pleasing timbre consider part of a great sounding guitar, other elements are involved including: sustain, pick definition, bigness in sound, rich in harmonics,  musical to the ear, expression, sounds in tune, etc.  But most importantly, I have said this before: HIYAW is the most important indicator.  Drums don't have hiyaw.

When we do any of the following, we mostly affect timbre and the sonic properties of a guitar (which I guess most of you call TONE and stop there):

a) changing pickups and electronics along with caps, pots, switches and wire ( I used to do cryogenic all the way up to my jack)
b) changing nut (I used to have a guitar with mammoth tusks as a nut)
c) changing fret material (I have several guitars with stainless steel frets)
d) changing bridge/saddle and material of bridge saddle (I play around with titanium, aluminium and more recently marble and tungsten)
e) changing tuners (gotohs are still my favourite; though I find the planet waves auto trim tuners on my chris broderick USA amusing)
f) changing pickguard material -- it does affect timbre specially on strats
g) changing string gauge and composition

But the great sounding guitars, still will sound themselves when you change those enumerated from a )-g) above.  Because they have the character of Hiyaw.  And this elusive property of hiyaw, is in my experience what EVERYBODY finds amazing in these rare finds.

If you ask me where Hiyaw comes from; it comes from the UNIQUE interaction between specific pieces of wood and nowhere else.  For purposes of simplicity, I can take my Custom Shop Tele and put in humbuckers and install a floyd and it will still maintain Hiyaw. Will it sound like a country Tele? With all those changes it would not. But it will now sound great as a hard rock and instrumental guitar.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:15:21 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline randymarsh

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Great Guitar Tone and why it is Universal and NOT kanya kanya lang
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 01:08:53 AM »
I can take my Custom Shop Tele and put in humbuckers and install a floyd and it will still maintain Hiyaw.

Is this a dare?  Dalhin na yan kay Arie :-D
nuno : n4 2.0 n4esa, n4vintage, n4 silver sparkle, n5, n6, n7, n8esa
etc : yjm, axis, jp6, jpxi, jp12, jp13, lp 58 vos, lp 57 ri, lp standard, lp trad, am strat, am tele deluxe, jem7v, uv777, rg prestige, j custom, deluxe reverb, vai legacy, jcm900, axefx

Offline horge

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 04:25:10 AM »
Alex,

You previously seemed to believe there's a singular perfect tone.
Now you're claiming 'hiyaw' as a separate phenomenon that elevates tone to greatness.

I suspect you'd agree, that the problem with proposing a universally perfect tone is that, unless
you're going to claim that, say, telecasters and Les Paul's put out the same tone, you are going
to be exalting one as perfect and downgrading the other as inferior. However, even if one (much
more reasonably) espouses ideal tones for each guitar type, one will be dangerously close to
questioning the purpose of FX boxes: even the most degraded/distorted output has its uses,
and where signal is degraded/distorted, there will likely be a detrimental effect on this delicate
phenomenon you are claiming. That phenomenon would have to be in the output signal, to be
relevant to others.

Has anyone else isolated this phenomenon you are claiming to be so important?
Have you or anyone else successfully measured and documented it, or is it merely anecdotal,
necessarily from your subjective POV?

Ignoring subjectivity is the kinder way to describe the problem here.
One person's hearing quality is another's hearing defect, and you have to consider two things:

-That if someone keeps insisting on a phenomenon that only they can perceive, whether it's
ghosts, unicorns or hiyaw (you did claim repeatedly that scientific measurement mightn't detect
what you can hear, on the antique-baby-rhino-tears-cap thread), then maybe the phenomenon
only exists in that particular person's perception. To put it kindly, that that person's perception
is defective/abnormal. To put it less kindly, that that person appears to be making it all up.

-That even if you're right, absolute declarations are more abrasive than humble suggestion.
Saying in so many words 'your tone is poor and my ears are superior, so respect my authority'
will gain you a less receptive audience than saying 'perhaps you might want to listen to this,
and see if you like it better'... followed by offer of a common frame of reference, such as some
commercially-available recorded material which can be pplayed back to high fidelity. If they still
can't hear the difference you claim to be hearing, what's the point to further insistence? If they
cannot hear it, they will not care, which is perfectly rational behavior on their part.

I'm sure you'd like to be recognized as some sort of tone expert, and not merely a gear queer
spending money and (brand)name-dropping to BUY respect. I'd suspect you'd like to have the
word hiyaw associated with you, given how often you use it.

However...
For someone claiming to have superior hearing, you may need to listen to what you're saying,
or rather, how you're saying it, then ask yourself if there isn't a better way.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:20:27 AM by horge »

Offline mayk_bam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 05:29:27 AM »
burn!!!  :-D
Ibanez RG530 DX, Korg X50

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:33:15 AM »
Is this a dare?  Dalhin na yan kay Arie :-D

I only used that as an example but I want to keep the Tele as is kasi marami na akong humbucker equipped na naka floyd rose.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
Alex,

(Nice to see you post again.)
You previously seemed to believe there's a singular perfect tone. (Not at all one tone or timbre; but one character of Hiyaw)
Now you're claiming 'hiyaw' as a separate phenomenon that elevates tone to greatness. 
( I think a GREAT sounding Keeper of guitar has to have hiyaw.  Its the keep factor.  You can have spec correct timbre but dead sounding as a guitar.  The irony is that guitars that have hiyaw actually automatically have a pleasantness to the ears.)

I suspect you'd agree, that the problem with proposing a universally perfect tone is that, unless
you're going to claim that, say, telecasters and Les Paul's put out the same tone, you are going
to be exalting one as perfect and downgrading the other as inferior.
(What I am Claim is: There is a Tele with Hiyaw and There is a Les Paul with Hiyaw.  Hiyaw is universal across the different types while at the same time preserving the unique timbre of the Les Paul and Telecaster.)

However, even if one (much
more reasonably) espouses ideal tones for each guitar type, one will be dangerously close to
questioning the purpose of FX boxes: even the most degraded/distorted output has its uses,
and where signal is degraded/distorted, there will likely be a detrimental effect on this delicate
phenomenon you are claiming. That phenomenon would have to be in the output signal, to be
relevant to others.

(Heavy Modulation or Heavy Distortion may minimize Hiyaw.  In fact anything, that approaches the synth timbre -- for example 100% Delay Mix with Chorus with Reverb with Harmonizer -- will make hiyaw not obvious.)

Has anyone else isolated this phenomenon you are claiming to be so important?
(Arie Hipolito and some others)
Have you or anyone else successfully measured and documented it, or is it merely anecdotal,
necessarily from your subjective POV?
(Its heard but more of felt in comparing one guitar from another.)

Ignoring subjectivity is the kinder way to describe the problem here.
One person's hearing quality is another's hearing defect, and you have to consider two things:
(I always optimistically believe that ALL should hear it but Arie tells me there are others that cannot hear it.)
-That if someone keeps insisting on a phenomenon that only they can perceive, whether it's
ghosts, unicorns or hiyaw (you did claim repeatedly that scientific measurement mightn't detect
what you can hear, on the antique-baby-rhino-tears-cap thread), then maybe the phenomenon
only exists in that particular person's perception. To put it kindly, that that person's perception
is defective/abnormal. To put it less kindly, that that person appears to be making it all up.
(If I base it on my experience, I have heard so many guitars without hiyaw to know that hiyaw exists in a guitar.  On the other hand, All 15 of my guitars have hiyaw.)
-That even if you're right, absolute declarations are more abrasive than humble suggestion.
Saying in so many words 'your tone is poor and my ears are superior, so respect my authority'
will gain you a less receptive audience than saying 'perhaps you might want to listen to this,
and see if you like it better'... followed by offer of a common frame of reference, such as some
commercially-available recorded material which can be pplayed back to high fidelity. If they still
can't hear the difference you claim to be hearing, what's the point to further insistence? If they
cannot hear it, they will not care, which is perfectly rational behavior on their part.
(Well, I am trying to preach to the open minded.  I am trying to convince people to break free from commercialized gear that sound like crap; so at times I can be abrasive.  Pero ganyan ang pinoy, for my point to sink in their dense Defense Mechanism I have to be poignant.)
(On the other hand, I keep a MIJ Charvel that absolutely has no HIYAW.  I told Arie to specifically look for a guitar that sounded bad so I can provide a reference to my other 15 guitars.  In this way, a person does not need to bring his own instrument to see the difference and thereby feel bad if his instrument does not have hiyaw.)

I'm sure you'd like to be recognized as some sort of tone expert, and not merely a gear queer
spending money and (brand)name-dropping to BUY respect. I'd suspect you'd like to have the
word hiyaw associated with you, given how often you use it.
(Nope.  I just want people to avoid getting sucked into buying bad sounding equipment and be drawn in by marketing hype.)

However...
For someone claiming to have superior hearing, you may need to listen to what you're saying,
or rather, how you're saying it, then ask yourself if there isn't a better way.
(I don't claim to have superior hearing because I honestly believe other people can and should hear it.  I am just lucky enough to be more exposed.  With Filipinos, given their heavily entrenched bias and pride; brutally frank and abrasive language is the way to go kasi deadma sila.  That being said, I have been more mild compared to my past self.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 08:03:34 AM by firemodel55 »

Offline bgarcia

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »

:-D :-D

Firemodel is it possible for a bad sounding guitar to have hiyaw?

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 08:52:20 AM »

:-D :-D

Firemodel is it possible for a bad sounding guitar to have hiyaw?

In my experience, nope.  Its more like the reverse.  Usually a guitar with hiyaw ALSO seems to have great sounding timbre.

Offline horge

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 09:13:27 AM »
What I am Claim is: There is a Tele with Hiyaw and There is a Les Paul with Hiyaw.  Hiyaw is universal across the different types while at the same time preserving the unique timbre of the Les Paul and Telecaster.

Yes, I understood that, whence I said:
"now you're claiming 'hiyaw' as a separate phenomenon that elevates tone to greatness."

Heavy Modulation or Heavy Distortion may minimize Hiyaw.  In fact anything, that approaches the synth timbre -- for example 100% Delay Mix with Chorus with Reverb with Harmonizer -- will make hiyaw not obvious.

Yes again. This is why, given the prevalence of heavily processed output these days (there
is no accounting for taste or fashion), an alleged phenomenon that is subdued or eliminated
during said processing isn't going to matter very much to users who PREFER said processing.
Theirs-theirs 'yan, when it comes to preference: and when the preference is for the intensive
sort of processing you described above, then this hiyaw of yours becomes undesirable, or at
least irrelevant.

Arie Hipolito and some others ... Its heard but more of felt in comparing one guitar from another.

Mahirap ang ganyang qualitative/anecdotal reference in any serious, factual discussion.
When you make an assertion that others cannot relate to (and make the assertion in an
abrasive manner) talo tayo.

What most people can relate to are terms of common reference.
Everyone ought to (or can learn to) understand fairly common terms like "bass", "treble",
"sustain", etc ... and to a lesser extent, matters like resonance, wave theory, etc... and
these are all terms with very long provenance and acceptance behind them.

when you try to coin some new term, the assumption is that it is one of two things:

1) it describes a completely new phenomenon --otherwise, why didn't you just use standard
terms to describe what you are talking about. You will be met with doubt, because centuries
of inquiry would have likely found and described this phenomenon before you.

2) it refers to something you are unable to correctly describe using standard terms, in which
case there will be problems communicating your message to others. Kasi nga you are not
using common references that most can understand. Dagdagan mo pa ng abrasiveness and
there'll be even more reason to devalue what you claim.

I always optimistically believe that ALL should hear it but Arie tells me there are others that cannot hear it.

Arie is rightly catholic in allowing for the possibility that people are different from one another,
meaning differences in individual ability to perceive, as much as differences in preference.

I'll cut to the chase:
I am perfectly willing to listen to your promotion of a phenomenon you call 'hiyaw', but  three
things have long obstructed my ability to do so:

1) You have never satisfactorily described what the phenomenon actually is, in standard terms
that I can understand. Thus far it's been qualitative and anecdotal --no different from someone
talking about "that X factor ---you'll just now it". The crucial difference here is that terms like
"x-factor" and "mojo" aren't often used in arguments for universal value. When someone cites
"mojo" or "x-factor", there's PLENTY of room left for different preferences: one guy's mojo is one
gal's meh.  If you want to describe or define something new, try to use standard terms that all
can understand. "It's heard but more of felt" isn't good enough for serious discussion, and
your argument of universality (as well as the tone in which you make your arguments) makes it
serious.

2) As you admit, you've been abrasive in your presentation: you cannot seem to promote this
phenomenon or quality you call hiyaw, without bashing the lack of it.  Most any quality will have
admirers, detractors and those who are indifferent --the same way some like, dislike, or don't
care either way,  about freckles on a pretty girl. I agree you've calmed down a bit, and I thank
you for that, but you're still not helping promote your message. Again, I suggest you don't start
off with saying someone else's stuff is crap. Instead, just offer them an alternative in terms that
all can understand. As also I said, maybe a commercially-available recording that can be played
back with high fidelity. Non-commercially, you clearly have the ability to make such a recording.
If this quality you're claiming (hiyaw) cannot translate into a recording, then many will rightly
question its real-world value, and even its actual existence.

3) You seem to (brand)name-drop a lot. In rare cases it's relevant, but most of the time it does
come off as you bragging that you can afford certain gear. Specificity when making reference
(to a guitar) is a good thing, but if that reference isn't one that your audience has a common
familiarity with (por ejemplo, you cite a brand/make/model that most of your audience have
zero experience with, because it's so exclusive/expensive), then bringing it up is pointless. The
only people you'd be convincing are brand-conscious lemmings, and we both know the priciest
and most exclusive brands can still turn out lemons.

Even if standard terms fail to find use in your arguments, a recording (one that can be played to
high fidelity), featuring two similar guitars: one with and one without this 'hiyaw', will put this
issue to bed quickly.

Good health,
h.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 09:52:54 AM by horge »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »

I WILL USE CAPS PARA MADALING MABASA
Yes, I understood that, hance I said:
"now you're claiming 'hiyaw' as a separate phenomenon that elevates tone to greatness."

Yes again. This is why, given the prevalence of heavily processed output these days (there is
no accounting for taste or fashion), an alleged phenomenon that is subdued or eliminated
during said processing isn't going to matter very much to users who LIKE said processing.
Theirs-theirs 'yan, when it comes to preferences: and when preference is for the intensive
sort of processing you described above, then this hiyaw of yours becomes undesirable, or
at least irrelevant.

WHETHER YOU HEAVILY PROCESS OR NOT; IT WILL NOT AFFECT WHETHER A GUITAR HAS HIYAW OR NOT.  BUT RATHER FOR THE MAJORITY THAT DO NOT HEAVILY PROCESS IT IS RELEVANT.
FOR THOSE WHO HEAVILY PROCESS; I WILL LET YOU IN ON A SECRET.  YOUR SOUND AND TIMBRE GETS WORSE.  IT MIGHT BE A MATTER OF PREFERENCE BUT HUMAN EARS CAN ONLY BEAR SO MUCH PROCESSING BEFORE IT SOUNDS TIRING.

Mahirap ang ganyang qualitative/anecdotal reference in any serious, factual discussion.
When you make an assertion that others cannot relate to (and make the assertion in an
abrasive manner) talo tayo.

NOT EVERYTHING LIFE CAN BE QUALITATIVE.  I CAN IN SOME WAY MEASURE, SURVEY PEOPLE WHO CAN AND CANNOT HEAR HIYAW.  BUT IT WILL BE A USELESS MEASURE BECAUSE HIYAW IS NOT JUST AN ON AND OFF SWITCH. ITS MORE THAN THAT.  ITS LIKE TASTING THE BEST KARE KARE IN YOUR LIFE.  THERE IS NO MEASURE BUT YOU KNOW IT TASTES SO MUCH BETTER IN MAGNITUDE THAN ORDINARY KARE KARE.

What most people can relate to are terms of common reference.
Everyone ought to (or can learn to) understand fairly common terms like "bass", "treble",
"sustain", etc ... and to a lesser extent, matters like resonance, wave theory, etc... and
these are all terms with very long provenance and acceptance behind them.

I DOUBT THAT THEY CAN TRULY RELATE.  ASK EVERYBODY HERE TO DEFINE WHAT BASS AND TREBLE, YOU WILL COME UP WITH SO MANY ANSWERS. YET WE PRETEND TO UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER.  JUST BECAUSE HIYAW IS A NEW TERM AND FLEETING PROPERTY DOES NOT MEAN IT SHOULD BE ASSOCIATED WITH CURRENT UNDERSTOOD PARLANCE FOR THE SIMPLE REASON THAT EXISTING PARLANCE IS INSUFFICIENT AND INFERIOR. 

when you introducing some new term, the assumption is that it is one of two things:

1) something completely new --otherwise, why not use standard terms to describe what you
are talking about. If it's something completely new, you will be met with doubt, because
centuries of inquiry would have likely found and described it before you.

I AGREE.  BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT 60 YEARS SINCE THE DAWN OF ELECTRIC GUITAR AND ELECTRIC GUITAR AMPLIFICATION, THE GENRE IS STILL QUITE YOUNG.  BUT AS EARLY AS THE 60S, KNOWN GUITARISTS HAVE BEEN DESCRIBING THE PROPERTY -- THAT X FACTOR IN A GUITAR.

2) something you are unable to correctly describe using standard terms, in which case there
will be problems communicating your message to others. Kas nga you're not using common
reference that most can understand. Dagdagan mo pa ng abrasiveness and there'll be even
more reason to devalue what you say.

SINCE HIYAW IS AN EXPERIENCE, I REALIZED STANDARD TERMS ARE LESS THAN CAPABLE OF COMMUNICATING THE REALITY.  FOR THAT REASON, AS I MENTIONED ABOVE, I BOUGHT A MIJ CHARVEL WITHOUT HIYAW TO COMMUNICATE THE REALITY OF HIYAW BETTER.

Arie is happily catholic, allowing the possibility that people can be different from one another:
and that means, differences in individual ability to perceive, as well as differences in individual
preference.

ARIE WAS FORMERLY AN UNHAPPY CATHOLIC.  NOW, HE IS AN UNHAPPY BAPTIST. LOL.

A FRIEND GUITARIST WITH THE INITIALS J.P. CONSIDERED ONE OF THE GREATEST GUITARISTS IN THE PHILIPPINES, VISITED ME.  HE GOT TO TRY OUT MY AMPS.  AND I WAS SURPRISED BECAUSE HE LOVED THE DIEZEL HERBERT CHANNEL 2 PLUS.  I TOLD HIM PANG METAL ANG AMP NA IYAN KNOWING THAT HE DOES JAZZ AND FUSION.
SABI NIYA SA AKIN, I CAN CONTROL IT WITH MY VOLUME CONTROL ON MY 1965 STRAT.  HUH? IT OCCURRED TO ME THAT EVERYBODY OF DIFFERENT BACKGROUND WHO TRIED THE DIEZEL HERBERT LOVES THE CHANNEL 2 PLUS. BAKIT? AKALA KO BA KANYA KANYA?

I'll cut to the chase:
I am perfectly willing to listen to your argument for a phenomenon you call 'hiyaw', but 
three things have long obstructed my ability to do so:

1) You have never satisfactorily described what the phenomenon actually is, in standard
terms that I can understand. Thus far it's been qualitative and anecdotal --no different
from someone talking about "that X factor ---you'll just now it", although terms like
"x-factor" and "mojo" allow for relativty and preference, unlike the universality you
ascribe to 'hiyaw'. If you want to describe or define something new, try to use accepted
terms that all can understand. "It's more of a feeling" isn't good enough for serious
discussion.

ITS NOT TO BE UNDERSTOOD FIRST, BUT IT IS TO BE EXPERIENCED FIRST BEFORE IT CAN BE UNDERSTOOD.

2) As you admit, you've been abrasive in your presentation: you can't seem to promote
a phenomenon or quality without bashing the lack of it. Any quality will have admirers,
detractors and those who are indifferent --the way some like, dislike, or don't care about
freckles on a pretty girl. I agree you've calmed down a bit, but you're still not helping
promote your message. Again, I suggest you don't start ff by saying someone else's
stuff is crap. Instead, just offer them an alternative in terms that all can understand. As
I said, perhaps a commercially-available recording which can be played back with high
fidelity. Non-commercially, you clearly have the ability to make such a recording  --and if '
this quality you're claiming (hiyaw) cannot translate into a recording, then many will quite
rightly question its real-world value, or even its actual existence.

SINCE MY GUITARS ALL HAVE HIYAW AND THE REST OF MY EQUIPMENT ARE REALLY TOP NOTCH IN THE WORLD, DAILY EXPOSURE SEEMS TO MAKE COMMON THEIR OUTSTANDING PROPERTIES.  I GOT USED TO GREAT SOUNDING GEAR THAT I STARTED DOUBTING THAT ANYTHING WAS GREAT ABOUT IT.
THEN I REALIZED THAT WHEN I GO INTO GUITAR STORES TO TRY OUT GUITARS AND AMPS, THEY REALLY SOUND LIKE CRAP.  THEY SEEMED TO LACK SO MANY THINGS THAT MY CURRENT STANDARDS HAVE.  PARANG I TOOK MY STUFF FOR GRANTED.

IN ADDITION, SINCE THERE WAS SO MUCH CRAP EQUIPMENT, ABOUT 90% OF THEM ARE,  THAT THE ONLY WAY TO EXPLAIN THE REALITY OF HIYAW IS TO DECLARE THE LACK OF IT.

HOW MANY PERCENT OF THE TIME DO YOU RECORD COMPARED TO THE PERCENT OF THE TIME YOU GIG AND PRACTICE?  I BET 10% OF THE TIME.  THE REST OF YOUR MEAL TICKET IS SPENT IN REHEARSALS AND LIVE GIGS AND MOST IMPORTANTLY PRACTICE WILL CONTROL A LARGE PERCENTAGE. 
A GUITAR WITH HIYAW MAKES PRACTICE EASIER BECAUSE IT DOES NOT TIRE THE EAR.  A GUITAR WITH HIYAW MAKES YOUR GIG SOUND BETTER BECAUSE ITS EASIER ON THE EAR OF THE AUDIENCE AND MAKES YOU SOUND YOUR BEST.

SIMPLE NA LANG, DID YOU EVER BUY A GUITAR BASED ON A RECORDING WITHOUT TRYING A GUITAR IN PERSON?

3) You seem to keep on (brand)name-dropping. In a few cases it's relevant, but most of
the time it comes off as you bragging that you can afford certain gear. Specificity in making
a reference is a good thing, but if that reference isn't one that your audience has common
familiarity with (por ejemplo, you cite a brand/make/model that most of your audience have
zero experience with), then bringing it up is pointless. The only people you'd be convincing
are brand-conscious lemmings, and we both know the priciest brands can turn out lemons.
Cool it with that, because it comes off as bragging. A recording that can be played to high
fidelity, featuring two similar guitars: one with and one without this 'hiyaw', will put this
issue to bed quickly.

HOW DO YOU SEARCH FOR TONE? KUNG KAILANGAN MAGING FAMILIAR, THEN YOUR TONEQUEST IS BORDERING ON THE COMMERCIAL AND SOCIAL ACCEPTANCE.  I FREE MYSELF OF THAT BIAS.  I CITE BRANDS THAT DELIVER MORE THAN THE FAMILIAR.
ITS NOT MY PROBLEM THAT THERE ARE PRICIER BRANDS THAT ARE LEMONS BECAUSE I CAN EASILY DISTINGUISH THEM.  BUT THERE ARE A GREATER NUMBER OF PRICIER BRANDS THAT DELIVER MORE AND BEYOND THE FAMILIAR.
NO RECORDING NEEDED, I JUST NEED TO SHOW YOU 15 GREAT GUITARS INTO MY GREAT SOUNDING AMPS AGAINST MY CRAPPY CHARVEL.  AS I SAID, IT IS BEYOND HEARING BECAUSE IT INCLUDES HEART.

Cheers,
h.

Offline horge

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »
Alex,
so far you are no closer to moving away from the anecdotal, the very-subjectively qualitative and thus, to
those without a reference held-in-common with you, the vague. It is frustrating, to say the least.

SIMPLE NA LANG, DID YOU EVER BUY A GUITAR BASED ON A RECORDING WITHOUT TRYING A GUITAR IN PERSON?

The discussion does not involve me BUYING a guitar, lol.
The discussion involves (hopefully) my coming to understand some 'new' quality of the output from an electric
guitar. If the output can be recorded (it can), then please record it, with a control specimen's output for a
proper audial comparison.

If no skill at recording can capture this alleged quality, I have to question much (or indeed all) of its value.

To be clear, I have no trouble believing that YOU believe.
Why should I care what another person believes, if it doesn't harm me?

The problem is you keep arguing for others to believe, without helping us understand WHAT to believe in.
Again, saying "it's a feeling" does not really help others understand EXACTLY what that feeling is. Please
try to find a common reference so we can communicate effectively, preferably a common reference involving
some precision and specificity.

While we're on the subject of belief:

ARIE WAS FORMERLY AN UNHAPPY CATHOLIC.  NOW, HE IS AN UNHAPPY BAPTIST. LOL.

I know you were using humor, but so there's no misunderstanding by others:
I used 'catholic' with a lower case "c", lol.

Off topic: I once dated a Baptist. She was all kinds of messed up, which was great in bed, but was the exact
opposite of great in practically all other respects.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 12:06:07 PM by horge »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »
Horge,

It seems to be very qualitative because the occurrence of Hiyaw is rare in a guitar.  Words are very insufficient to describe it and so are existing quantitative measures.  I understand the predicament but the only way I can think is really for you to try my fifteen guitars in person against my crappy Charvel.

With regards to mentioning the buying a guitar example, I meant to say that people are not confident to buy guitars without hearing them in person because they know recordings cannot capture a lot of nuances the guitar that count.  For example, feel of the neck, scale length, actual color and aesthetic, etc.  Hiyaw is also one of those properties that is better heard in person than recorded.

With regards to FEELING IT, it hits the heart and it inspires parang you cannot stop playing the guitar the whole day... Its as if the guitar reacts and anticipates your notes.  Ang hirap i-describe but my 15 guitars of different types will best show you because the 15 guitars have different facets that combine with Hiyaw.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »
Even if standard terms fail to find use in your arguments, a recording (one that can be played to
high fidelity), featuring two similar guitars: one with and one without this 'hiyaw', will put this
issue to bed quickly.

Perhaps a standard Fender or Gibson vs your custom guitars on a high quality recording is a good idea :-)

Offline horge

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 12:52:26 PM »
Perhaps a standard Fender or Gibson vs your custom guitars on a high quality recording is a good idea :-)

Eh kaso nga, parang hindi audial lang ang phenomenon, pero emotional daw (through non-audial stimuli?),
kasi he's already talking about the "heart", and "feelings".

Alex, let me try to illustrate the difficulty you are placing me in.
Bear with me, ha? Puyat ako, but I'll attempt to do it via a humorous analogy, para hindi masiadong serioso:

What if you were the victim of a heinous crime like, i don't know, sexual assault using an unwashed vegetable,
and the police wanted you to describe the assailant, kasi nga they NEED to know --in terms they could usefully
understand-- what your assailant looks like, so they can arrest him for abusing you and (because I am so sure
there are plant-hugging liberals out there, reading this) the vegetable as well.

PO1 Walanghiyaw: Mr. Alex, I'm so sorry for your ordeal, but could try to describe your assailant?

Alex: It's hard to describe what my attacker looked like, but My God, the feeling... it hits the heart and inspires...

PO1 Walanghiyaw: Uhm, perhaps try to start with whether it was a man or a woman?

Alex: I can't describe it in those terms, Officer... it was the experience that was distinctive...  parang I cannot
stop playing the whole day

PO1 Walanghiyaw: *cough* What about height, sir? Weight? Sound of the assailant's voice? Maybe even smell?

Alex: Again, I cannot describe in those terms, officer... You'd relate, only if you would experience it yourself...

PO1 Walanghiyaw: Sir, you need to put that vegetable down, sir   **draws sidearm, releases safety**....

Alex: You'll feel it in your heart, I swear, officer....

...which sordid example  brings me to the crucial point. Even if PO1 Walanghiyaw receives the same botanically
based sensation courtesy of Mr. Al... he'd only be able to better-identify the vegetable, not the assailant. It's
someone else in the assailant role, just as it would be someone else (not you or anyone else on this forum)
making a hypothetical visit-and-listen to wherever-it-is-you-keep-your-guitars.

As you claim that Arie Hipolito pointed out, not everyone can perceive what you claim is universal ("hiyaw").

If I were to accept your invite...
I wouldn't be hearing your guitars with your ears, nor would anyone else on this forum be hearing with mine
(if they were to accept your invitation to hear your guitars out). Or, even if I did perceive what YOU call 'hiyaw',
I might recognize it as an already-established phenomenon and ignore it, kasi I'm supposed to be listening for
something previously-undescribed.

My testimony re: hiyaw wouldn't be universally-acceptable, kasi if others were to take the same 'test', they will
likely experience differently, or even if they experience the same, will report in different terms. Sabi mo, most
here don't even understand "bass", "treble", etc. Reporting is important, kasi practicality-wise: not everyone
here has the time, ability, or the GAF to visit you. That's why reviews are useful, but reviews still depend on
common-reference terminology, which you say is widely misunderstood.

If the reviewer is not guaranteed to be capable of hearing so-called hiyaw, and doesn't know what to listen for
(because you can't seem to describe it), and furthermore cannot even use common-reference terms correctly,
... e ano pa ang pakinabang namin sa kanyang review/report?

Iba-iba tayo ng kakayahan perception-wise, granted.
Iba-iba rin tayo ng binibigyang-halaga, o hilig, and not all those who might report perceiving ..."something"
will automatically find it as desirable as you say.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:52:54 PM by horge »

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 01:32:34 PM »
I know that similar to audiophiles, alex doesn't believe in youtube clips, but for me, this is my standard for that elusive tone that I have in my mind:

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »

My SG is a Gibson USA and not a Historic for the simple reason that it sounds better than a lot of other Historic SGs.

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »

My SG is a Gibson USA and not a Historic for the simple reason that it sounds better than a lot of other Historic SGs.

How about a flac recording of your SG and another Gibson SG?

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Great Guitar Tone and why it is Universal and NOT kanya kanya lang
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
I know that similar to audiophiles, alex doesn't believe in youtube clips, but for me, this is my standard for that elusive tone that I have in my mind:

He can record in flac. Surely that should satisfy most audiophiles :-)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:25:12 PM by royc »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 02:11:29 PM »
Eh kaso nga, parang hindi audial lang ang phenomenon, pero emotional daw (through non-audial stimuli?),

Bear with me, ha? Puyat ako, but I'll attempt to do it via a humorous analogy, para hindi masiadong serioso:

What if you were the victim of a heinous crime like, i don't know, sexual assault using an unwashed vegetable,
and the police wanted you to describe the assailant, kasi nga they NEED to know --in terms they could usefully
understand-- what your assailant looks like, so they can arrest him for abusing you and (because I am so sure
there are plant-hugging liberals out there, reading this) the vegetable as well.

PO1 Walanghiyaw: Mr. Alex, I'm so sorry for your ordeal, but could try to describe your assailant?

Alex: It's hard to describe what my attacker looked like, but My God, the feeling... it hits the heart and inspires...

PO1 Walanghiyaw: Uhm, perhaps try to start with whether it was a man or a woman?

Alex: I can't describe it in those terms, Officer... it was the experience that was distinctive...  parang I cannot

PO1 Walanghiyaw: *cough* What about height, sir? Weight? Sound of the assailant's voice? Maybe even smell?

Alex: Again, I cannot describe in those terms, officer... You'd relate, only if you would experience it yourself...

PO1 Walanghiyaw: Sir, you need to put that vegetable down, sir   **draws sidearm, releases safety**....

...which sordid example  brings me to the crucial point. Even if PO1 Walanghiyaw receives the same botanically
based sensation courtesy of Mr. Al... he'd only be able to better-identify the vegetable, not the assailant. It's
someone else in the assailant role, just as it would be someone else (not you or anyone else on this forum)

I THINK THE BETTER ANALOGY IS THE GIRL WHO GIVES THE BEST ORAL SEX IN TOWN.  EVERYONE KNOWS AND FEELS IT BUT CANNOT DESCRIBE IT.  I APOLOGIZE TO GIRLS READING THIS POST. 
I DID TRY TO GIVE THE KARE KARE EXAMPLE ABOVE BUT APPARENTLY  HORGE IS PUYAT.  ACTUALLY, SLEEP DEPRIVATION CAUSES SUPPRESSED SEXUAL NEEDS TO SURFACE.  JOKE LANG.

As you claim that Arie Hipolito pointed out, not everyone can perceive what you claim is universal ("hiyaw").

JUST BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE CAN PERCEIVE IT DOES NOT MEAN IT DOES NOT EXIST.  IN FACT, THIS IS WHERE I DEFER WITH ARIE THAT A GREAT MAJORITY CAN PERCEIVE HIYAW.  OF COURSE, I BEING AN OPTIMIST.

I wouldn't be hearing your guitars with your ears, nor would anyone else on this forum be hearing with mine

I THINK THAT WAS POINT, YOU DON'T NEED TO HAVE MY EARS TO HEAR IT BECAUSE ITS NOT IN MY EARS... ITS IN MY GUITARS.
(if they were to accept your invitation to hear your guitars out). Or, even if I did perceive what YOU call
'hiyaw', I might recognize it as an already-established phenomenon and ignore it, kasi nga I'm supposed to
be listening for something previously-undescribed.

IF YOU RECOGNIZE IT THAN THATS GREAT BECAUSE YOU CAN GIVE ME A NAME TO IT AND WE CAN HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON TO TALK ABOUT MORE.
My testimony re: hiyaw wouldn't be universally-acceptable, kasi if others were to take the same 'test', they will
likely experience differently, or even if they experience the same, will report in different terms. Sabi mo, most
here don't even understand "bass", "treble", etc. Reporting is important, kasi practicality-wise: not everyone
here has the time, ability, or the GAF to visit you. That's why reviews are useful, but reviews still depend on
common-reference terminology.

ARE REVIEWS REALLY USEFUL?  FOR THE PAST TEN YEARS, I HAVE SUBSCRIBED TO GUITAR WORLD AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE ACTUAL SOUND OF THEIR REVIEW SOUNDS LIKE.  LATER ON THEY DECIDED TO PUT VIDEO CLIPS WHEN THE INTERNET BASE EXPANDED.
BUT IF I TEST WHAT THEY REVIEW IN THE STORE SOMETIMES ITS CLOSE BUT MOST OF THE TIME DIFFERENT.

A JAPANESE FRIEND OF MINE TOLD ME THIS ABOUT AN AMP: THE GUY WHO DID THE REVIEW HAS SOMETHING TO SAY, YOUR FRIEND HAS SOMETHING TO SAY, YOUR FAVORITE ARTIST HAS SOMETHING, YOUR FORUM HAS SOMETHING TO SAY AND THE ONLY ONE WITHOUT SOMETHING TO SAY IS YOU.
HE GOT SO FED UP AND THE NEXT DAY HE BOUGHT A DUMBLE OVERDRIVE SPECIAL AND FORMED HIS OWNED OPINION AFTER OWNING IT.

Although what some might like is for you to allow someone (who can better express themselves) to "take the
test" with your guitars, and report back... malabo pa rin yan, meyn, kasi nga, you cannot describe to the guy
what he's supposed to be listening out for. What you claim Arie said will also apply, and furthermore there is
your claim that even common-reference terms are widely misunderstood.

MY POINT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THAT ON THE MOST BASIC LEVEL, I OPTIMISTICALLY BELIEVE IT CAN BE HEARD. BY THE WAY, IT WAS ARIE WHO TAUGHT ME HIYAW. SO IT CAN BE TRANSFERRED. 
YOU CAN ASK HIM -- THAT MY LAST 3 PURCHASES IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS WITHOUT ANY REFERENCE OR LETTING HIM HEAR IT BEFORE BUYING HAVE HIYAW.
IN FACT, ARIE BELIEVES IN MY CONSISTENCY IN PICKING OUT GUITARS WITH HIYAW WITHOUT ANY REFERENCE. EVEN AT THAT, HIRAP SI MISMONG ARIE MAMILI WITHOUT REFERENCE.

If the reviewer is not guranteed to be capable of hearing so-called hiyaw, and doesn't know what to listen for
(because you can't seem to describe it), and furthermore cannot even use common-reference terms correctly,
AGREE AKO THATS WHY I ENCOURAGE YOU TO EXPERIENCE IT.  NOONG TINURO NI ARIE SA AKIN ANG HIYAW, HINDI SIYA NAGSULAT NG ARTICLE PARA MATUTO KO. DINEMO NIYA NG BUONG HAPON SA AKIN AND THATS HOW I LEARNT.  THE OTHER IMPORTANT FACTOR WAS THE ARRIVAL OF MY BAKER FIREMODEL55 WHICH DISPLAYS THE MOST HIYAW OF MY GUITARS.
I WAS JUST LUCKY TO GET USED TO THAT GUITAR.
Iba-iba rin tayo ng binibigyang-halaga, o hilig, and not all those who might report perceiving ..."something"
will automatically find it desirable.
SOME MAY LIKE SUSTAIN OTHERS WON'T.  THATS WHY I HAVE SEVERAL LES PAUL TYPE GUITARS AND A 335.  SOME LIKE HUMBUCKERS AND OTHERS SINGLE COILS.  THATS WHY I HAVE A STRAT AND A TELE ALONG WITH P90s EQUIPPED BAKER#41. 
BUT ONE THING THESE GUITARS HAVE IN COMMON IS THEIR ABILITY na HUMIYAW AND BE FUN AND TRULY INSPIRING INSTRUMENTS TO PLAY.  NOW, I DON'T KNOW OF ANYONE WHO DOES NOT LIKE TO PLAY A FUN AND INSPIRING GUITAR.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:20:16 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline horge

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 03:04:57 PM »
I DID TRY TO GIVE THE KARE KARE EXAMPLE ABOVE BUT APPARENTLY  HORGE IS PUYAT.

I saw the kare-kare analogy, but the logical flaw remains:
Not everyone likes kare-kare, and those who do may like kare-kare for very different reasons/flavors.
If their reasons for liking kare-kare don't include the flavor/quality you're touting (hiyaw, in kare-kare terms),
then all your talk about universality falls flat, kasi subjective pala.

That's even presuming the flavor you're touting as rare and previously-undescribed even exists, or if it does,
that it can be discerned by tasters as a rare and previously-undescribed flavor.

IF YOU RECOGNIZE IT THAN THATS GREAT BECAUSE YOU CAN GIVE ME A NAME TO IT AND WE CAN HAVE SOMETHING IN COMMON.

Same as above...
I might recognize a bunch of things, possibly including what you call hiyaw... but fail to recognize it as hiyaw.

Kasi, you seem to be saying only you and Arie know what hiyaw is; and I'm saying that if it exists, I may know it
as something else. If you ask me to listen out for "something previously-undescribed", I'll report nothing found,
because nga, to me it is previously-described. In that situation, why should I single out any one of several audial
qualities I will have perceived, for further discussion as your so-called 'hiyaw'?

You have to provide some useful description of what to listen out for, to narrow down the inquiry.
You also have to provide a practicable sample-experience of the same, and you have: albeit one that can only
accommodate one person (or a few) at a time, and is more hassle than my downloading a lossless recording and
playing it back in hi-fi: you could have hundreds trying it out, instead of just a handful, every day.

This is become circuitous/recursive, Alex... but maybe someone can produce a breakthrough.
In any case, I'mma take my nap now.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:24:05 PM by horge »

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 04:11:29 PM »
I saw the kare-kare analogy, but the logical flaw remains:
Not everyone likes kare-kare, and those who do may like kare-kare for very different reasons/flavors.
If their reasons for liking kare-kare don't include the flavor/quality you're touting (hiyaw, in kare-kare terms),
then all your talk about universality falls flat, kasi subjective pala.

That's even presuming the flavor you're touting as rare and previously-undescribed even exists, or if it does,
that it can be discerned by tasters as a rare and previously-undescribed flavor.

Same as above...
I might recognize a bunch of things, possibly including what you call hiyaw... but fail to recognize it as hiyaw.

(And that is why I have 15 guitars to show you what hiyaw is.)

Kasi, you seem to be saying only you and Arie know what hiyaw is;
(Others have heard and know it.)
and I'm saying that if it exists, I may know it
as something else.
(Agree.)
If you ask me to listen out for "something previously-undescribed", I'll report nothing found,
because nga, to me it is previously-described.
(That is why I have the Charvel without Hiyaw.)
In that situation, why should I single out any one of several audial
qualities I will have perceived, for further discussion as your so-called 'hiyaw'?
(Because there will be a difference, unless you cannot hear it -- a possibility you brought up.)

You have to provide some useful description of what to listen out for, to narrow down the inquiry.
You also have to provide a practicable sample-experience of the same, and you have: albeit one that can only
accommodate one person (or a few) at a time, and is more hassle than my downloading a lossless recording and
playing it back in hi-fi: you could have hundreds trying it out, instead of just a handful, every day.

(As I said before, Part of Hiyaw is felt.)

This is become circuitous/recursive, Alex... but maybe someone can produce a breakthrough.
In any case, I'mma take my nap now.

(If I can learn it without having to go thru your requirement and back then without a lossless recording, why not experience it for yourself?  Its difficult enough to find 15 guitars with hiyaw while having a recording capture tactile feel is quite impossible. Para kang nagcommunicate ng Orgasm thru a porn film and expecting a virgin to understand it fully.
If being hassled is your excuse to continue asking me questions, then recursive we shall be.)   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:26:10 PM by firemodel55 »

Offline officebiker

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »

(if they were to accept your invitation to hear your guitars out). Or, even if I did perceive what YOU call 'hiyaw',
I might recognize it as an already-established phenomenon and ignore it, kasi I'm supposed to be listening for
something previously-undescribed.

common-reference terminology, which you say is widely misunderstood.

If the reviewer is not guaranteed to be capable of hearing so-called hiyaw, and doesn't know what to listen for

will automatically find it as desirable as you say.

Does this post come in black? Id like one laminated and hanging on my wall.
If you feel offended, post your grievances using a phone made by a 10 year old in China.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »
Have you guys wondered why neck profile is so difficult to communicate over the net?  Because the mind is limited in trying to construct something 3 dimensional over a flat 2 dimensional screen.  Neck Profile has to be experienced.  The same thing with hiyaw.  It has to ALSO be felt and not just heard.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »
will just add a different perspective to this discussion

1. many have visited Firemodel at his place.
2. many have discovered that "Hiyaw" is not solely found on Alex's guitars, but in their guitars as well (to varying degrees)
3. many have discovered that they have very good guitars din pala, but despite having guitars above average...

...mataas talaga level ng mga guitars ni Alex. they're on top of above average....or maybe two levels above that pa.

you've have to give credit to a guy who spends time and money hunting all these guitars. frequenting different countries and difference shops pa lang is financially straining for many of us. so isipin na lang natin yung probability na talagang mahanap niya yung gusto niyang hanapin. kung may tiyaga, may nilaga.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 05:10:01 PM by analog.matt »

Offline royc

• Philmusicus Addictus
Great Guitar Tone and why it is Universal and NOT kanya kanya lang
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »
Have you guys wondered why neck profile is so difficult to communicate over the net?  Because the mind is limited in trying to construct something 3 dimensional over a flat 2 dimensional screen.  Neck Profile has to be experienced.  The same thing with hiyaw.  It has to ALSO be felt and not just heard.

Only musicians care about the instruments. Listeners only care about what they hear (and see, if it is a live band).

Why spend big money for something that you cannot share with your audience? Paying for playability is fine, but for hiyaw that should not be just heard then why bother?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:41:41 PM by royc »