hulika

Author Topic: Re: Zoom MS70 / MS50* Controller : Just want to share my build.  (Read 7950 times)

Offline siotiboy

FULL VERSION

BASIC VERSION

For those who have a ZOOM MS-70CDR or similar, and are finding it hard to switch between multiple patches, here is a good news for you. I have successfully refined my design for a compact controller that will do the following:
- Scroll up or down through all the 50 patches available in the gadget memory. This is done either 1-patch-1-press or hold to scroll continuously.
- Create a pseudo-bypass function which you could use from any patch. As i understand correctly, the Zoom MS 70 doesn't have a patch bypass. However, other people get through this by using the line selector effect, however, at the cost of consuming valuable effects slots usable in a patch. My approach is to use the last patch in the memory as the bypass patch and call it anytime you need a clean guitar signal. You can either prepare the last patch (Patch 50) to have no effect, or even set a default tone/patch that you can call anytime. In the video, the bypass mode is indicated by a '00' in the display.
- Instant tuner mode. You can engage the tuner anytime. This is very handy when you have set the long press function of the Zoom unit to engage the Tap tempo feature: this is how I set up my unit. Basically the footswitch of my Zoom unit is used for  Tapping in my delays. So convenient! This function is indicated by the '0t' display.
- Bank Mode. My build allows for a nifty bank mode, where you have the access to 4 patches at a press of a switch. All four switches correspond to 4 memory locations in the Zoom unit itself. There are 12 banks; Bank 1 has patches 1 to 4 accessible via each switch, Bank 2 has 5 to 8, Bank 3 ha 9 to 12, and so on. You can also choose weather to display either the Bank number or the Patch number when in bank mode. Bank number display is indicated by the small point near the 1st digit display.
- Persistent Memory. One big improvement from my initial build is the ability to resume to the previous operation even after the power is unplugged. Features like the last Bank/State used, the last Patch called, and the display mode is saved and is restored when the unit is powered once more.

*I have only tried this on my personal MS70. I have high hopes that it will work with the MS50 though. You could test it yourself if you have a PC software that will send MIDI patch changes via usb. I used MIDI-OX to test midi program messagesl

I am posting this thread, first, to let you know that such a gadget exist, and second, I am planning to build this for other people as well. Obviously, at the right price. At the moment, I have parts to build 2 more units. I am currently observing the robustness of my design and programming, and if you want to take part in the development, I am willing to sell to anyone the other 2 units at an introductory price.

For the meantime, I would like to hear your comments and suggestions to my creation.  Unfortunately, I would not be interested in sharing my schematics and program here, if anyone would ask. It took me a great deal of design/planning/programming to finish it. And electronics is not even my profession (only my education).

Thanks for taking the time to read and watch! I just want to share my joy in finishing this project. Let me know what you think.  :)

Email: tomcarlotan@gmail.com
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:54:32 AM by siotiboy »

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Zoom MS-Series Controller : Just want to share my build.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:12:11 PM »
Looks like its connected via usb port. Too bad, I have the bluetooth one. But this is great for other multistomp owners out there.

Offline siotiboy

Re: Zoom MS70 / MS50* Controller : Just want to share my build.
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot the MS100 has no USB port. Will have to change the thread title. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Offline soundhole8

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
Good Job bro. This is very interesting.
Kaya pa bang mapaliit pa yung enclosure nung controller?

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 12:30:28 PM »
Thanks for the comment! Well yung spacing ng switches standard na yun, based on some other floor boards in the market. Pwde siya sa width mag bawas, pero i dont think i could find an enclosure with a shorter width at the moment. Also the unit is very tight already, ill post some gutshots later on.

Sent from my SM-A5000 using Tapatalk

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Re: Zoom MS70 / MS50* Controller : Just want to share my build.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »
nice work man! may dedicated tap tempo switch kaya? :D
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Thesurjen

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »
Plano ko na dapat mag aral mag arduino para dito...pero eto ka na! haha

kelangan ko na bilin ung zoom ms70 sa JB haha kating kati na ako. XD

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 05:11:57 PM »
I don't have the MS70CDR but have always been intrigued with its potential given the right modification of controls, now that I've seen probably the best mod so far - how much would this cost?

Offline siotiboy

Re: Re: Zoom MS70 / MS50* Controller : Just want to share my build.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 05:39:50 PM »
nice work man! may dedicated tap tempo switch kaya? :D

It's a negative for the tap tempo switch. I've tried scanning the MIDI messages, looking for one that will respond to the tap tempo, as of now hindi talga supported.
However, if you will set the long press function of the switch on the Zoom unit itself to activate the tap tempo, you could use it as the tap tempo through your session (untill you turn of the pedal, or long press to disenggage the swithc.
The good thing about setting the long press to tap is that you could still activate the tuner remotely using my gadget. The only caveat is that the Tempo screen will cover some parts of the tuning screen. I will show you photos when later regarding this.

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 05:44:32 PM »
Plano ko na dapat mag aral mag arduino para dito...pero eto ka na! haha

kelangan ko na bilin ung zoom ms70 sa JB haha kating kati na ako. XD

Thanks for finding value on my work! It is really my pleasure to make good use of our gadget (zoom ms70), and also my pleasure to not have you gone through all the designing/planning/programming required to make the gadget.
I do hope i'll get some sort of reward for sweating on this. Hence, I hope you'll eventually ask me to build one for you. :) For the right price of course.  :-D

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 05:50:45 PM »
I don't have the MS70CDR but have always been intrigued with its potential given the right modification of controls, now that I've seen probably the best mod so far - how much would this cost?

At the moment, I can see the price to be at Php 4000, when I decide produce more. At the moment, I'm offering an introductory price and warranty for the other 2 units that I will be building next. I'll price it at 3.5k (free shipping) as long as the buyer is willing to make a demo or even just a testimonial regarding their experience.
I think my work needs to be verified first, hence the lower price. If anything goes wrong, repairs for the 2 units are free, only that the buyer shoulders the shipping back to me. Cheers!

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 01:15:45 AM »

It's a negative for the tap tempo switch. I've tried scanning the MIDI messages, looking for one that will respond to the tap tempo, as of now hindi talga supported.
However, if you will set the long press function of the switch on the Zoom unit itself to activate the tap tempo, you could use it as the tap tempo through your session (untill you turn of the pedal, or long press to disenggage the swithc.
The good thing about setting the long press to tap is that you could still activate the tuner remotely using my gadget. The only caveat is that the Tempo screen will cover some parts of the tuning screen. I will show you photos when later regarding this.
please do :) a video would be nice hahaha if you can do this, lotsa people would be using this as their main delay pedal hahaha
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline ciswith

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »
solid to.. hindi na yuyko pag papalit ng patches
Musicians are not mathematicians. feeling and soul over speed and technique

Offline marcus_gloom

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »
What if lagyan ng Bluetooth dongle yang custom controller mo, will it work? :-D ka inis nakakapag sisi tuloy at ms100BT pa ang binili ko :-(

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 06:33:27 PM »
Uploaded a new video, including the Tap Tempo setup. Cheers!

Offline avatar

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 10:18:35 PM »
is the enclosure metal or plastic?

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »
is the enclosure metal or plastic?
The case is diecast aluminum spray painted with primer and matt black.

Offline chernandez1

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 07:59:59 PM »
Ngayon ko lang to nakita. Awesome to! I'm planning to have a MS100BT. Hopefully pwede din to dun sa pedal na yun. How much kaya sya?

If there are encounters, there are partings as well

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 08:03:10 PM »
Ngayon ko lang to nakita. Awesome to! I'm planning to have a MS100BT. Hopefully pwede din to dun sa pedal na yun. How much kaya sya?
Sorry sir, but only for those units with USB ports. currenty tested sa MS70. Price right now is 3800, pero my waiting time hehe, please comment din sa thread ko sa clssfied section. Tnx!

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 08:28:58 PM »
For price inquiries and build requests please comment in this thread:

http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=332505.0

Offline gitaristadaw

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 02:55:13 PM »
Wow! Great work bro!galing!
looks like bibili ako ulit ng ms70cdr

Offline avatar

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »
Just a little testimonial for siotiboy's awesome work:

Just got it today and my initial plan was to simply check out that the basic stuff works ( factor-out courier handling issues) then schedule an actual test a little later tonight. I ended up playing for 2 straight hours and a renewed love for the MS70CDR ;)

The controller just made the MS70CDR way more useful that it already is. Although I initially had a different set of functions in mind for the controller other that what siotiboy has designed I decided to just give it a whirl and see if it fits my needs. The main thing I needed was that it has to be easy to setup, simple to use, and won't need me to stoop on a live setup. All those are addressed, plus it has a few more tricks up its sleeve. I like the re-assignable patches, It make lazy tweakers like me make use of my existing patches and store it to any location I want. The controller is easy to use both in bank and patch scrolling mode. I'd probably use bank mode in most situations but patch scrolling is actually fun to use because you can play around with the preset patches without having to constantly bend and reach for the controls. Its definitely a useful addition to the MS70CDR, opening a lot of potential for the already powerful device.  The only issue I can think of (and in no way is it a deal breaker) is that it might help to have a clear cover (glass or acrylic) over the number display to reduce the glare (as it gets annoying over time) and also to prevent dust from getting inside the device (there is as small gap between the enclosure holes and the number display). Again very minor issues that can easily be addressed on future builds.

Oh btw, he was kind enough to include a 4 page manual for the device. Everything from descriptions, operations, even how to factory reset the device! That tells you so much about how well he does his work and the kind of product he makes. Amazing work man!

P.S. I hope siotiboy can find a way to power both devices from a single source either via ms70cdr or via the controller...not a deal breaker of course but a nice feature.

Offline Master At Arms

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 02:57:17 AM »
Siotiboy. Dude nice work !

I'm in the market for some smaller footprint midi foot controllers. I'm assuming these are compatible with other midi-controlled products ?

MA
“Now I see that I will never find the light
Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel,
Consuming myself.” - Bruce Lee https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007963455307

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 06:32:45 AM »
I'm currently on the fence about this one. I guess I'm hesitating a bit because I don't like shipping transactions and I'm waiting to hear about the lifespan of the switches and of the whole unit itself.

Right now I'm leaning more towards getting a 2nd MS70CDR but who knows, right?

Looking forward to more comments and testimonies.

Kudos to Siotiboy for this innovation.

Are you thinking of selling this internationally?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline siotiboy

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »
Just a little testimonial for siotiboy's awesome work:

Just got it today and my initial plan was to simply check out that the basic stuff works ( factor-out courier handling issues) then schedule an actual test a little later tonight. I ended up playing for 2 straight hours and a renewed love for the MS70CDR ;)

The controller just made the MS70CDR way more useful that it already is. Although I initially had a different set of functions in mind for the controller other that what siotiboy has designed I decided to just give it a whirl and see if it fits my needs. The main thing I needed was that it has to be easy to setup, simple to use, and won't need me to stoop on a live setup. All those are addressed, plus it has a few more tricks up its sleeve. I like the re-assignable patches, It make lazy tweakers like me make use of my existing patches and store it to any location I want. The controller is easy to use both in bank and patch scrolling mode. I'd probably use bank mode in most situations but patch scrolling is actually fun to use because you can play around with the preset patches without having to constantly bend and reach for the controls. Its definitely a useful addition to the MS70CDR, opening a lot of potential for the already powerful device.  The only issue I can think of (and in no way is it a deal breaker) is that it might help to have a clear cover (glass or acrylic) over the number display to reduce the glare (as it gets annoying over time) and also to prevent dust from getting inside the device (there is as small gap between the enclosure holes and the number display). Again very minor issues that can easily be addressed on future builds.

Oh btw, he was kind enough to include a 4 page manual for the device. Everything from descriptions, operations, even how to factory reset the device! That tells you so much about how well he does his work and the kind of product he makes. Amazing work man!

P.S. I hope siotiboy can find a way to power both devices from a single source either via ms70cdr or via the controller...not a deal breaker of course but a nice feature.

Thank you sir! I'm glad you have a positive experience with the gadget. It was a pleasure having the transaction with you. I hope that device will serve you well in the future. Just contact me for any concerns. Thanks again!