hulika

Author Topic: Which is better?? Cheap guitar & expensive amp or expensive guitar & cheap amp?  (Read 16170 times)

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
please delete. thanks. lol
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:22:20 PM by shodawmoon »

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
I think this may be a good video on the topic

Bro, that's actually why the thread was created in the first place. Haha. Check page 1.  :wave:

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Lol

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
Bro, that's actually why the thread was created in the first place. Haha. Check page 1.  :wave:
sorry di ako nagbasa. lol

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
sorry di ako nagbasa. lol

No worries.  :wave:

what's your take on the topic?   :-)

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
No worries.  :wave:

what's your take on the topic?   :-)

I agree with Cap and Rob, do what you want with what you have. But if I were pressured to choose, I'd go for more money on the amp. Amps will always be the biggest contributor to your tone whether recording or playing live.

Like most everyone here and I agree,  I've heard expensive guitars through crap amps and they always sound like crap, and I've been blown away by affordable guitars plugged into expensive amps.

So if I were to choose with what's available locally with the 70k Php budget in mind I'd go for the ff:

Guitar: Squier Vintage Modified Cabronita Tele   19,950 Php
Amp: Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo                48,990 Php
TOTAL:                                                               68,940 Php
Spare change:                                                      1,060 Php  - bibili ako ng Levy's or Ruru na leather strap with what's left.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:06:08 PM by shodawmoon »

Offline shodawmoon

• Philmusicus Addictus
Thats a very good point bro. Good thing there are lots of nice portable amps in the market right now. Looks like bringing our own amps is our best option right now.

Having said that, does this mean that the expensive guitar + affordable amp option is more favorable here in the RP as we need to lug around our own amps? Parang katakot mag byahe ng 50k worth na amp sa gigs haha.

Your thoughts guys?
Ideally if were just talking tone, Bring your own amp is still the best route.

but if were talking realistically and what is practical for the average PH guitarist, Lugging around an expensive and huge amp isn't a great idea considering how crappy our Public transpo is and how unsafe it is walking around with expensive let alone heavy gear.

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
I agree with Cap and Rob, do what you want with what you have. But if I were pressured to choose, I'd go for more money on the amp. Amps will always be the biggest contributor to your tone whether recording or playing live.

Like most everyone here and I agree,  I've heard expensive guitars through crap amps and they always sound like crap, and I've been blown away by affordable guitars plugged into expensive amps.

So if I were to choose with what's available locally with the 70k Php budget in mind I'd go for the ff:

Guitar: Squier Vintage Modified Cabronita Tele   19,950 Php
Amp: Peavey Classic 50 2x12 combo                48,990 Php
TOTAL:                                                               68,940 Php
Spare change:                                                      1,060 Php  - bibili ako ng Levy's or Ruru na leather strap with what's left.

now thats one "stylish" set up! hehe nice! looking cool with a eye ctaching guitar onstage is also a good factor...hehe
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
I don't know the current prices, but I think if I had 70k, I'd go for a Classic Vibe tele and a Blackstar amp. I think that'd be less than 70k.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
I don't know the current prices, but I think if I had 70k, I'd go for a Classic Vibe tele and a Blackstar amp. I think that'd be less than 70k.

Just a friendly advice bro. Do some research on Blackstar amps before you pull the trigger. I was supposed to get an HT Club 40 but after I saw horror stories about the PCB mounted tube sockets and the chip made of unobtainium, I backed away quickly. There are lots of amps in its price range that are built with far better quality.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Zacchary_amadeus

• Forum Fanatic
Expensive amp..
\"Why worry if you can pray\"

Offline taniguesashimi

• Philmusicus Noobitus
expensive amp - for those who have car for transporting the amp during gigs or practice.
expensive guitar - eto nakaka inspire mag gitara anywhere since ok na yung guitar mo, then ipon na lang pang bili expensive amp.

in the end, parang parehas lang, pwedeng parehas cheap or parehas mahal, sa mga gig venues naman may amp na pero walang gitara na ready to use.

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
I've recently been auditioning Am. Spec and Am. Std Fender Strats in different PP locations and found really bad ones. They would probably play better with a good set-up but if I'm paying 70k to 80k for a Strat I really expect them to be stellar of the shelf. If I am to choose between an Am. Std + some affordable amp versus a Squire Classic Vibe + an pricey tube amp I'd probably go with the later.

Funny thing, I'm actually currently playing an expensive Strat into a couple of Micro Terror stacks so I guess I'm not practicing what I'm preaching haha.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
I've recently been auditioning Am. Spec and Am. Std Fender Strats in different PP locations and found really bad ones. They would probably play better with a good set-up but if I'm paying 70k to 80k for a Strat I really expect them to be stellar of the shelf. If I am to choose between an Am. Std + some affordable amp versus a Squire Classic Vibe + an pricey tube amp I'd probably go with the later.

Funny thing, I'm actually currently playing an expensive Strat into a couple of Micro Terror stacks so I guess I'm not practicing what I'm preaching haha.

Reality is, even if we say we'll go for an expensive amp + cheap guitar or vice versa, it will be only a matter of time before we ultimately settle for an expensive amp + expensive guitar (or at least, more of the "up there" gear in terms of quality .....and maybe price).

It's just a question of "which will be first".  :wave:

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Reality is, even if we say we'll go for an expensive amp + cheap guitar or vice versa, it will be only a matter of time before we ultimately settle for an expensive amp + expensive guitar (or at least, more of the "up there" gear in terms of quality .....and maybe price).

Good point brader.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus

seconded =))
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Yup excellent point. Which came first for you guys, expensive guitar or expensive amp?
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
Yup excellent point. Which came first for you guys, expensive guitar or expensive amp?

i was a late convert to the "tone is in the amp" clan. so I got really good guitars first, then again, I had a pretty decent amp as well (goldea at30)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline bgarcia

If the question is what will make you sound better, cheap guitar+expensive amp or expensive guitar+cheap amp, I’ll go with the expensive amp.

Now if the question is what will make you happier and enjoy playing more, I’ll go with the expensive guitar.  Thing is, it’s the guitar that you hold, strum, pick, pluck, finger when playing.  Mas may interaction and attachment ang player with the guitar kesa sa amp.  That’s why lots of players can be happy with a nice guitar and so so amp for years.  Those with the nice amp will eventually upgrade the guitar to match the amp.

Can’t blame most guitarists if they prioritize the guitar over the amp.

Offline Letour

• Philmusicus Addictus
Been playing since the mid-80's. Been GASsing (window shop mode) since then too.

In my experience (both bedroom and gig playing), investing in a good amp is the better choice.

Of course, in this country, we are vey limited in the choice of good amps and the economies of scale. 1,000 GBP is easier for a blue collar Brit to earn than 70K Php for a regular worker here. Of course, some of us are luckier than others.

Dean of a law school
http://www.manilaspeak.com/author/rod-vera/
Twitter: @attyvera

Offline Skybox

• Philmusicus Addictus
Been playing since the mid-80's. Been GASsing (window shop mode) since then too.

In my experience (both bedroom and gig playing), investing in a good amp is the better choice.

Of course, in this country, we are vey limited in the choice of good amps and the economies of scale. 1,000 GBP is easier for a blue collar Brit to earn than 70K Php for a regular worker here. Of course, some of us are luckier than others.

Well said.
#DigitalHiyaw

Offline boybawang

• Netizen Level
I'd go for expensive amp since may kotse nmn.
I think for 70K: Vox AC30 and Mac Smith guitar haha \m/

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
I've seen/hear/tried a lot of really good inexpensive gear lately. Here's my ideal set-up...at kung saan sila mabibili.:

(Expensive Guitar and Cheap Amp)
Fender American Special Strat  - 50,000 (could be lower kung naka MESS or Handog Sale) - c/o Yupangco
Vox AV30 with Footswitch - 21,000 (Chorus, Delay and Reverb are usable) c/o Audiophile
EHX Soul Food 4200 or TC Spark 3900 - c/o Pedallion

(Expensive Amp and Cheap Guitar)
Marshall DSL40C - 50,000 (could be lower kung naka sale) - c/o JB Music
Epiphone SG G-400 Pro - 17,500 c/o Guitar Pusher
Mooer Chorus and Mooer Delay Pedals - shouldn't reach 7,500 for both - c/o Lazer

Right now...i'm on the Expensive Guitar and Cheap Amp set-up.  :)

Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline Boxedking

• Philmusicus Addictus
I'd rather ask myself "Which setup suits me better?" I'd go with an expensive amp with a not-so-mediocre guitar that plays well.
www.soundclick.com/viruprison | www.soundcloud.com/lei-guitarist

Don't let the gearhead kill the musician in you. Philmusic s/b PhilGEAR

Offline 24242009

• Forum Fanatic
my small amp can and suits my home playing perfectly, so a good guitar
settles the sound for me especially when plugged into the effects.  I use
my cheap guitars and reserves my other guitars for occasions.
The difference in sound is obvious if one has good ears.

Budget wise I would go first for a great guitar before the amp, because
at home I cannot go all out on an amp, for my neighbor's peace.

so far I just use amp modeling to settle for diff amp sounds
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 01:02:41 PM by 24242009 »