hulika

Author Topic: FERNANDES GUITAR OWNER THREAD  (Read 16221 times)

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
FERNANDES GUITAR OWNER THREAD
« on: January 04, 2007, 07:36:03 AM »
Ya'll for years I have had this "Fernandes" fetish.  I love Fernandes guitars.  I only own one, but someday plan on adding to my Fernandes collection.

A little about this guitar.  It's a Fernandes MG80X Hide Signature Mockingbird Copy.  The story behind this is absolutely incredible.  I had never heard of Hide before.  I didn't even know that Fernandes made a Mockingbird.  Anyway, I saw this guitar on this forum and I think the price was around 5.5k.  I wanted the guitar and I was selling this hollow body Les Paul copy and a friend bought this Fernandes for me to trade for the Les Paul hollow body.

Well, after I got it, I started researching the guitar and found that it is indeed a top of the notch VERY expensive guitar.  In fact, the cheapest I could find used was $1,250 US Dollars.  At first, I was gonna sell it because I thought - Jeez, you are a 53 year old man and you look funny playing a mockingbird.  No way Jose - after finding out how much this thing is valued at, I ain't lettin it go.

Made in Japan - awesome pickups with awesome power.  Bare essentials only a volume knob, 3 way selector switch and a volume blast switch.

Here's pics.

The first one is off the Fernandes Japan site:

The rest are the actual guitar that I own:

I'd love to see pics of other Fernandes owner's guitars and hear the stories behind them.  There is one function strat on here being sold and if I ever get the money to buy it - it will be added to my collection.

Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: FERNANDES GUITAR OWNER THREAD
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 11:08:25 AM »
Thats pretty nice Rick, I also have one but I don't have any information. It's been with me for a while... here are the specs mij, alder, 24 frets, floydrose, gotoh tuners, it says us custom on the head stock with sustainer and the model is Dragon fly elite II. Thats about all the information I know.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:46:44 AM »
@jun_gats... baka may serial number. I'm pretty sure Fernandes can look up some info for you that you'll find helpful.
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:52:38 AM »
Thats pretty nice Rick, I also have one but I don't have any information. It's been with me for a while... here are the specs mij, alder, 24 frets, floydrose, gotoh tuners, it says us custom on the head stock with sustainer and the model is Dragon fly elite II. Thats about all the information I know.

Thanks.

I like your Fernandes also.  I've seen the dragon fly elite's and they are nice guitars.

I think Fernandes is the most underrated guitar company around.  Their guitars are top notch - much better than epiphone, fender, gibson or ibanez and their pickups are excellent.
Be well,

"Doc Rick"  Even when life is a bed or roses, there are still those damn thorns!!

Offline Perf_De_Castro

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 01:26:11 PM »
I have a Revolver 7 string with the Sustainer pickup. Watch and listen to it in action here:

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
@jun_gats... baka may serial number. I'm pretty sure Fernandes can look up some info for you that you'll find helpful.

inigo wala e, nabura na.  :-D

Offline jun_gats

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:33:43 PM »

Thanks.

I like your Fernandes also.  I've seen the dragon fly elite's and they are nice guitars.

I think Fernandes is the most underrated guitar company around.  Their guitars are top notch - much better than epiphone, fender,

gibson or ibanez and their pickups are excellent.

Thanks,

I know, they are pretty good guitars even if its stock. Mine needs refretting. Its going to be my project

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 08:49:30 PM »
But then again, I am pretty much likin the looks of grecoslave's fernandes function strat.  I might be inclined to let go of this if someone were to get it and trade it to me for it.

At my age - a strat just looks better on me and I love a fernandes strat!!
Be well,

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »
wait til you play Sir MIKE's the Revival TELE.. grabe.

see it here.

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 10:27:41 PM »
wait til you play Sir MIKE's the Revival TELE.. grabe.

see it here.

I saw that.  Super NICE!!
Be well,

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »
I'm working real hard on getting another Fernandes.  This time a function strat.  I've become a Fernandes fan after this Hide Sig MG80X.

Gotta tell ya more about this guitar.  Although this is a metal guitar through and through, you can flip it on the neck pickup and back off the volume a little bit and get some excellent blues and jazz tone.

That bridge humbucker is the most powerful humbucker I've ever seen - sustains for incredible amounts of time - I timed it on my little peavey practice amp with the gain only on 5 and the sustain was 3 minutes.  It's so powerful that you really have to back off the volume of the guitar if you are anywhere near your amp.  What's really cool about it is that little blast switch.  You can leave that switch off and turn your volume up or down.  Volume down and want a full blast of tone, flip that little switch and it will blow your hair dry better than a hair dryer.

Dayum it's awesome.  I'm wanting a function strat badly now so I can compare.  Plus I've got an EMG HZ4A to put in something.
Be well,

Offline grecoslave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 03:07:10 AM »
that's one hell of a guitar sir rick! looks pretty cool on a seasoned guitarist. don't part with it!! :-o

i've had 2 fernandes strats; a post-lawsuit strat (the ones with non fender shaped headstocks) and then traded it for a much earlier function strat. 

right now along with the fernandes i have an Aria Pro II Stagecaster with maple fretboard and a JV stratocaster with rosewood fretboard. i've always wanted both fretboard specs since they differ in sound. and since the JV and the fernandes both have rosewood fingerboards i'm forced to keep the JV instead because of the added historical value. checkout (http://www.squierjv.info/jvstratocaster.htm) so i'm feelin sorry that i'm not gonna be a member of this thread for long since i'm about to hand it over to doc. may it serve you well. currently i'm figuring out a way to pampanga. but i'm sure we'll be able to meet within the week.

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 07:31:12 AM »
i've always wanted both fretboard specs since they differ in sound. and since the JV and the fernandes both have rosewood fingerboards i'm forced to keep the JV instead because of the added historical value. checkout (http://www.squierjv.info/jvstratocaster.htm) so i'm feelin sorry that i'm not gonna be a member of this thread for long since i'm about to hand it over to doc. may it serve you well. currently i'm figuring out a way to pampanga. but i'm sure we'll be able to meet within the week.

I very much appreciate you working with me on this swap.

No rush my friend, anytime during this week or next is good with me.  Just let me know a day or so ahead of time so I can move appointments around to accomodate you.

Regards,
Be well,

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 10:59:39 PM »
The only thing better than The Function (as far as Fernandes guitars go), is The Revival. I used to own one, but let it go for quite a steal considering how much people are selling their lawsuit era guitars around here. Good thing I sold it to a friend. I can probably threaten to buy it back if I really want.  :lol:

Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 08:21:06 AM »
I got Al's Guitar! First Fernandes guitar I ever had. A very nice strat! Best strat I've ever used! Please don't buy it back from me. He! He! He! I'll get some pics of the other Fernandes guitars here at home & I'll post it. :)

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »
Here are the pics of the Fernandes guitars at home.
The one on the left is the strat I got from Al. It's heavily modded since he changed the pick-ups, pickguard and string tree. Excellent tone & playability. I'm planning to add Dunlop straplocks & probably change the bridge since I can't find a trem bar that fits the trem post. The one on the right is a Sustainer superstrat. It's got Gotoh tuners, Takeuchi double locking bridge & stock pick-ups. Got this really, really cheap. Can't find any info on this on the web. Though I haven't yet visited Fernandes Japan's website.

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 10:13:34 AM »
This is another strat. Its the Fernandes The Function model. Also got this really, really cheap. It has EMG pick-ups and original Floy Rose bridge. Currently in Jun Castro's shop since it's undergoing major restoration work.

Offline Allan_Reamillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007, 10:32:59 AM »
Updates on the restoration of the Fernandes The Function strat. Jun already stripped the finish on the neck since the original owner painted the fingerboard to get the ebony effect. What lies underneath is a maple fingerboard.

Offline grecoslave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2007, 02:06:45 PM »
m lovin that revival   :-)

Offline boy_noel

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2007, 03:55:38 PM »
two thumbs up to fernandes.. naka-test na ko, ganda ng tunog! but i never got the chance to buy me one, walang budget e.. if ever you guys are selling your fernandes guitar for a cheap price, pls drop me a message.. want to play but got no money for a high end guitar.. hehe
rock & funk!!!

Offline ganjie

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 12:35:53 AM »
i just got mine a few weeks ago.. (80's the function strat) it looked pretty beat up and had a really bad paint job..

anyway, first glance i thought i was wasting my time but when i played it, it spoke to me!
plugged it into the owners small bedroom amp and i was really blown away by the tone..

got it home and immediately got to work.. stripped the paint, stuck in a new set of electronics(pots, switch, jack) and after about two weeks of "restoring" it, it plays great!

it's got damage on the wood and was remedied my wood putty by the previous owner, regardless, it still sounds great and i feel that this is a keeper..

i'll post pics when i get to take them..

my first strat and first successful project..

i agree with the previous posts... fernandes guitars are really good stuff!!
... pain is a purifier and suffering builds character ...
... Jesus Rocks! ...

Offline turiguiliano

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 08:14:33 AM »

pareho tayo. sakto
US Toll Free: 650.488.7901
Globe:0927.858.1635
Smart:0949.190.0200 Sun:0932.748.6705 Bogner Amplification - CMATMODS - F-BASS - Jet City Amplification - Lava Cables - Paul Cochrane Audio - Pedal Train - Weber Speakers - Wilson Effects - XOTIC Effects

Offline lowtuneduser

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 01:44:07 AM »
Fernandes Revolver X
Construction: Bolt-on
Body: Alder
Neck: Maple
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 25 1/2" Scale
Gotoh-style Tuners
Frets: 24 Jumbo
Nut: Locking 1 5/8"
Bridge: Double Locking Fernandes/Floyd Rose® Licensed Tremolo Bridge
Pickups: Fernandes high output

galing sa website:

ung aken with emg 81 85 pickups:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:56:29 AM by lowtuneduser »
ESP LTD Viper 301 • Dimebag Crybaby •  Boss NS-2 • Boss ML-2 • Boss GE-7 • Boss BF-3 • Boss PH-2 • Boss TR-2 • Boss DD-3 • Korg DT-3 Tuner • Kalikot Audio PSU • GHS ZW String (.11-.70) • Custom Pedalb

Offline ussfdoc

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 07:43:55 AM »
My newest acquisition from a swap. 

Early 80s Fernades The Function Strat, MIJ:

Be well,

Offline paengkee

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 09:46:59 PM »
my newest acquisiton from a swap.

docs Hide Mockingbird. lol