hulika

Author Topic: Blues Jammers Rock at Mag:net Café...Again!!! (Round 2)  (Read 7805 times)

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Blues Jammers Rock at Mag:net Café...Again!!! (Round 2)
« on: January 06, 2007, 02:18:22 PM »
Now that was rockin' last night! Dr. Ted on "Elizabeth Reed" and "You can Have My Husband", Teletubby on "The Weight" and "It Hurts Me Too", Messyhands on "Tush" -- Wow. Some very hot, loose playing with the Blue Rats.

But the Play-of-the-Day highlight was Kedy Sanchez on "The Thrill is Gone". Yowza. Smokey, nuanced, biting, mature, and spontaneously beautiful phrasing -- all at the same time. A real revelation.

An object illustration that a huge part of tone and player recognizability is indeed "in the hands". That PRS SE Soapy into the Kendrick Tweed really got a workout. Except for Dr. Ted who brought weapons, all the above played through that same rig -- geetar into amp -- no pedals. And every single one sounded so different and distinct. All good.

Make sure y'all get to Mag:net Café when a jam with the Rats is in the air and don't miss out on a chance to watch these bad boy jammers let it all hang out. Greasy, dangerous, and unpredictable. In short, magic....

....not to mention extremely entertaining with 3beers having a hell of a lot more than 3 beers inside him, waving that bottleneck slide around and pointing it at people.  :lol: Comedy Central.

We won't apologize for sometimes seeming like we're having more fun up there than the audience.  :-D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 10:02:02 AM by blue buddha »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Blues Jammers Rock at Mag:net Café
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 02:41:40 PM »
Aaaarrggh!!!  I knew it, knew it, knew it...  But it was my mom's bday yesterday so...  Dr Ted texted me last night asking if I was playing anywhere and I said no but -- even better-- you guys are so he should come up!  But he prolly already knew that since nasa text group list ata siya.

No apologies needed. We love it when you have fun onstage; we feed off of it so it's a virtuous cycle!

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »
Aaaarrggh!!!  I knew it, knew it, knew it...  But it was my mom's bday yesterday so...  Dr Ted texted me last night asking if I was playing anywhere and I said no but -- even better-- you guys are so he should come up!  But he prolly already knew that since nasa text group list ata siya.

No apologies needed. We love it when you have fun onstage; we feed off of it so it's a virtuous cycle!

Part of the fun is because we make so many boo-boos onstage while trying to "play it different" spontaneously all the time. 80% of the time it works out.... 20% of the time.... well....  :-D .... and so we end up laughing at each other's goofy attempts and the melee that ensues when everyone tries to make "salo" the boo-boo -- some really interesting things happen.

It's gotten worse (or better, depending on how you look at it) since 3beers came back into the fold. He brings that spontaneity of the earlier Rats back into the equation. It's infectuous and fun as hell for the players.

Happy B-day to your mom Delta -- 'til the next time.... Handlebar ulit but we're trying to confirm whether it's the 19th or the 26th....

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 10:05:56 AM »
Kedy Sanchez!  and to think he's an A/R guy for a record company.... tapos matinding  gitarista pa! cool 8-)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:15:53 AM »

Veggie Joe  was supposed to go (as was myself) but then we saw this flying spaceship with psychic sushi and deacon blues and got in...  the occasion was a jam at the new psychic BAMF studios (which I understand you will be recording in Delta?). Anyway it was fun revisiting that old Jeff Beck classic "Blue Wind"! Will catch the rats some other time.... by the way veggie joe's son is a chip of the old block and a good player himself....

Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 02:22:08 PM »
Veggie Joe  was supposed to go (as was myself) but then we saw this flying spaceship with psychic sushi and deacon blues and got in...  the occasion was a jam at the new psychic BAMF studios (which I understand you will be recording in Delta?). Anyway it was fun revisiting that old Jeff Beck classic "Blue Wind"! Will catch the rats some other time.... by the way veggie joe's son is a chip of the old block and a good player himself....

with apologies to BB for the OT...

Thank you for the kind words, sir Jim... we went to get my BAMF-modded pedal and for the phaser mini-shootout (as I promised to bring some pedals for psychic_sushi to try), but it got kinda hard to leave early when you guys started heating up. Crap, we had to leave just when you were gonna start on "Come Dancing" aaarrrgggggh!

sabay-sabay and sunod-sunod na ang mga skeds ninyo... sigh... It's getting hard to watch all you guys... enjoying one thing, while knowing we're missing out on something else.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 02:30:18 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 09:49:51 PM »
Jim -- natatakot lang 'yan si Veggie Joe kasi we've been trying to get him to get up there with us to bend some strings. Masyadong modest 'yang taong yan.  :wink: We'd also love it if it his son came up and joined in the mayhem. That would really make our night. We continue to hope....

Veggie Joe -- sige na... sige na... sige na....  :-D

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Blues Jammers Rock at Mag:net Café...Again!!! (Round 2)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 10:50:44 AM »
Well, it happened again last night, February 2. Nakabawi si deltaslim!

Some of "not-the-usual-suspects" showed up and rocked the house. Psychic_sushi was smoking. Excellent chops on both slow and upbeat stuff, sitting in and doing a great job on familiar tunes and -- even more remarkable -- on less familiar songs he'd probably never played before. Eric of Hukkah held down the funky low end on a couple of tunes with some greasy "poste" bass playing. The ex-Mr. Crayon harp player (whose name escapes me at the moment) was cranking on whitey's gear. A british ex-pat (whose name also escapes me at the moment) who had just walked in with Joey pounded the skins on a bunch of numbers with great feel and dynamics. A completely sloshed dude (a friend of Mai) got up there and had a go at "red house" -- bigay na bigay, nevermind na halo-halo ang lyrics ng "summertime" nung nakalimutan yung words. Meron pang "Hey people, I'm drunk!" proclamation in the end. Blues "imbento" in the best spirit.

As with tele-tubby and messyhands the month before ... along with dopedeeva and co.... one gets this great feeling that a part of the blues baton is being passed from us old goats. At least the stuff isn't falling on completely deaf ears.

As for the old goats, kasama na diyan si deltaslim (even if he isn't that old  :-D). Supremely tasty slide and lick trading with the boys. I'm biased in the direction of that vintage approach to blues phrasing and tone, and delta is the man. Something really funky about old school, swampy, mississippi-style playing emanating from a tall, clean cut asian dude in a button down peach colored oxford shirt and khakis.....

And to top it all, it was a treat to have BAMF tinkering around with his latest doodad, the much ballyhooed Scalarizer. Great tones from a scalarized PRS SE in delta's hands and veggie joe's scalarized strat underneath psychic_suchi's fingers. Check out this thread: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php?topic=35791.495

The two regrets: 1. Kakoi showed up as the evening was winding down and didn't get to jam. And 2., yet again, utter and dismal failure in getting veggie joe to get up there and do a wank with the Rats.... this will happen one day and y'all better be there when it happens.

A great and fun evening.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 11:30:55 AM by blue buddha »

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 12:56:43 PM »
Great and fun indeed, educational pa! Thanks for the opportunity ulit.

BTW, i texted kuya Joey last night my review of his playing, and this applies to the band as a whole na rin:  "Smooth... yet dangerous, flowing... yet unpredictable, virile... but mature!"

Sushi also texted me, saying 'yatpu' was awesome. Sabi niya he 'tickled pink' to meet and talk shop w/ Joey.  I'm sure BAMF felt the same way toward you.  Hehe... priceless.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 01:49:16 PM by deltaslim »

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 07:28:33 PM »
Congratulations to The Rats for another successful evening.

Sayang, we could not join you due to a previous business meeting.  I really wanted to hear more about the scalarized guitars all the guitar bigwigs have been raving about.

Moreover, I really wanted to hear deltaslim, psychic_sushi and the rest of manila's finest together in one stage.

Maybe next time I could probably catch all of you again.

Keep rockin', everyone.

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 07:51:33 AM »
manila's finest?  parang mga parak ah! :-D

dumaan eric?!  dang.  i love the way that guy plays bass. :-D

hanggang sa susunod na pagkikita mga repapips!

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »
I was too busy enjoying the music, so I only remembered to take a few pics...

Who was the guy who jammed on harp? Tasty! and mighty generous of whitey to lend his own harp!

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 04:06:46 PM »
mighty generous of whitey to lend his own harp!

that's like... sharing the same woman:-o

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 04:17:27 PM »
... yet again, utter and dismal failure in getting veggie joe to get up there and do a wank with the Rats.... this will happen one day and y'all better be there when it happens.
good luck :lol:

i've jammed with him once dati sa sounds familiar. the man is too much of a gentleman but he packs a lot of tasty licks in his pocket. :-D

mighty generous of whitey to lend his own harp!

that's like... sharing the same woman:-o
parang... you're too much for me whitey... i wish i knew how to quit you...

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 11:55:22 AM »
uy Nats, thanks for the kind words, kahit exagg...  :wink: I will be sure to jam when i can pack enuf licks in my pocket to last 24 bars! Dangerous iyan si BB eh, bigla na lang sumesenyas sa banda na isa pang ikot ...  :-D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 12:05:35 PM by vegetablejoe »

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »
I was too busy enjoying the music, so I only remembered to take a few pics...

Who was the guy who jammed on harp? Tasty! and mighty generous of whitey to lend his own harp!

see that ball of light atop my head?

that's the spark of inspiration materializing while playing with the blue rats, coz the music was great!  :-) scalarizers in guitars also attract weird etheric energy... heheheheh  :-D

"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 03:29:09 PM »
BB,

in all the excitement over the tootsie rolls, I forgot to comment that, from what we heard, the AC15 can sure hang with the bigger amps. Niiiiice!    What were it's volume settings? Half-way?

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 06:04:53 PM »
uy Nats, thanks for the kind words, kahit exagg...  :wink: I will be sure to jam when i can pack enuf licks in my pocket to last 24 bars! Dangerous iyan si BB eh, bigla na lang sumesenyas sa banda na isa pang ikot ...  :-D

I knew it. Meron palang reserve licks itong si veggie joe sa bulsa.... ayaw lang mag-sharing-sharing. The reason for the "isa pang ikot" is that the most interesting stuff always happens after you've blown your wad -- the creativity displayed in the attempt to get it up again is truly where it's at -- where the good stuff magically happens.... and you know this is true in more ways than one.  :-D

BB,

in all the excitement over the tootsie rolls, I forgot to comment that, from what we heard, the AC15 can sure hang with the bigger amps. Niiiiice!    What were it's volume settings? Half-way?

Master volume all the way up to get those EL84's nice and hot, volume (preamp) only at about 12 o'clock -- about halfway on the chicken-head knob dial. 9-10 on the guitar volume knob for the "angry rhythm" tone, 6-8 for total cleans. I think psychic_sushi had the preamp volume at 3 o'clock the first time... before he plugged in your stompbox which sounded terrific, by the way.

The amp is also tubed for high headroom rather than "giving it up" mode (rhythm bias kasi e) -- Mullard ECC83's in the preamp and Telefunken EL84's in the output section. It has an SS rectifier and that very loud/bristly Vox (Celestion) Blue speaker.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 06:23:38 PM by blue buddha »

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 08:23:15 AM »
Master volume all the way up to get those EL84's nice and hot, volume (preamp) only at about 12 o'clock -- about halfway on the chicken-head knob dial. 9-10 on the guitar volume knob for the "angry rhythm" tone, 6-8 for total cleans. I think psychic_sushi had the preamp volume at 3 o'clock the first time... before he plugged in your stompbox which sounded terrific, by the way.

The amp is also tubed for high headroom rather than "giving it up" mode (rhythm bias kasi e) -- Mullard ECC83's in the preamp and Telefunken EL84's in the output section. It has an SS rectifier and that very loud/bristly Vox (Celestion) Blue speaker.

sorry for bringing the topic back to gear.  I'm quite interested how you get your "rhythm sound of doom" with an AC15, especially since it has an (1x12)alnico speaker which aren't known for their bass response right?... what do you mean by tubed for high headroom?  i ask this becuase I replaced one 12au7 (Marhsall) with a 12ax7(JJ) in my frequenlty maligned Royal amp, and what do you know?  it sounds fuller and much, much louder now... with a little bass added!  still far from those 6L6 lows, but an improvement on how it used to sound... didn't know a preamp tube can do so much...

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 08:30:37 AM »
I knew it. Meron palang reserve licks itong si veggie joe sa bulsa.... ayaw lang mag-sharing-sharing.

isang beses nagpunta ako sa bahay ni veggie.  from the gate, i could hear someone doing a mean, jazzy rendition of Careless Whisper... then segues into Man in the Mirror... tapos one face melting Eruption... tapos lumabas si Veggie Joe with a weird grin on his face... parang smirk ala Jack Nicholson...  :evil:

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 09:13:34 AM »
... the most interesting stuff always happens after you've blown your wad -- the creativity displayed in the attempt to get it up again is truly where it's at -- where the good stuff magically happens.... and you know this is true in more ways than one.  :-D
hahaha... sadly, nowadays that inspiration only happens with new "gear"  :evil: :-D

Thanks for the info. VERY NICE! I wish I could afford one of those.... hmmmm... maybe i should sell all the little ss amps under the bed, then invite the mrs. to visit HK or Singapore... :wink:

Kudos must go again to BAMF for the nice mods on the cheapo stompbox.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:10:42 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 09:19:13 AM »
isang beses nagpunta ako sa bahay ni veggie.  from the gate, i could hear someone doing a mean, jazzy rendition of Careless Whisper... then segues into Man in the Mirror... tapos one face melting Eruption... tapos lumabas si Veggie Joe with a weird grin on his face... parang smirk ala Jack Nicholson...  :evil:
hahaha! ... ang lawak ng genre... :lol: sinungaling! cd yung narinig mo.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 09:33:32 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 09:40:48 AM »
... I'm quite interested how you get your "rhythm sound of doom" with an AC15, especially since it has an (1x12)alnico speaker which aren't known for their bass response right?... what do you mean by tubed for high headroom?  i ask this becuase I replaced one 12au7 (Marhsall) with a 12ax7(JJ) in my frequenlty maligned Royal amp, and what do you know?  it sounds fuller and much, much louder now... with a little bass added!  still far from those 6L6 lows, but an improvement on how it used to sound... didn't know a preamp tube can do so much...

uhmmmm.... keep your tele at home and bring an LP?!  :evil: :-D  :lol:

sobrang OT na tayo, but i couldn't help it!  :wink: sorry, BB.

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 10:08:45 AM »

sorry for bringing the topic back to gear.  I'm quite interested how you get your "rhythm sound of doom" with an AC15, especially since it has an (1x12)alnico speaker which aren't known for their bass response right?... what do you mean by tubed for high headroom?  i ask this becuase I replaced one 12au7 (Marhsall) with a 12ax7(JJ) in my frequenlty maligned Royal amp, and what do you know?  it sounds fuller and much, much louder now... with a little bass added!  still far from those 6L6 lows, but an improvement on how it used to sound... didn't know a preamp tube can do so much...

A preamp tube can do a lot! Pero rewind muna tayo ng konti....

With 2 EL84's, the AC15 doesn't inherently have "the rhythm sound of doom" in a gig situation like 6L6 or 6V6 fender types, or even EL34 type amps which can generate quite a bit more power and bigger cleans. 15 watts is pretty much all a pair of them normally put out, 18 watts if the circuit is particularly simple and pure. What EL84's DO have is a great deal of cut, bark and presence. So the choice of old Telefunkens which are more "hi-fi" sounding and don't "give it up" as easily as other types helps insofar as they allow the amp not to turn too slurry when it's close to maximum operating levels -- a lot of the clarity, tightness and detail is preserved in the all-important midrange. That's good for rhythm players but not necessarily for lead guys, many of whom look for that slurriness and breakup for a good lead sound. So Telefunkens are as close as one is going to get to achieving a decent "rhythm sound of doom" from a pushed 15-watter. This, by the way, also holds for other 15-watters like Blues Jrs., Pro Jrs., etc.

On to the preamps. The big deal with preamp tubes is how much gain they are able to achieve in a circuit. The volume of the amp -- both apparent and absolute -- is also affected, but much more so the former because of the gain a preamp tube (usually in V1) is able to introduce. On the amplification scale, a 12AX7 or ECC83 has an factor of 100, a 5751 = 70, a 12AT7/ECC81 = 60, a 12AY7 = 44, and a 12AU7 =20. The 12AX7 will certainly be "louder" than any of the others in both an apparent and absolute sense, but the reality is that clipping and distortion of the signal starts to happen way before you ever dime that preamp control knob to the max. If hi-gain isn't your bag, the choice of a lesser rated preamp tube allows you a much greater usable range of travel on your control knob and the ability to dial in your preferred sound more subtly. In your scenario, replacing the 12AU7 (amp factor 20) with a 12AX7 (amp factor 100) yielded the expected results -- louder, fuller, etc -- but I'll bet that at gig levels, your knob hovers around 4 or 5 instead of the 9 or 10 that it used to with the 12AU7 stuck in there, and that the knob is a lot more sensitive to minute movement in either direction. At 8 or 9 the sound is probably unusable as a good rhythm sound. And this is just on the amplification (volume) issue alone -- there's the added dimension of how different preamp tubes clip or distort -- that's an even longer story.

On the AC15, the first preamp tube swap I tried was a 12AT7 in V1. I found it a bit cold in light of the telefunkens in the output section. I ended up settling on a 12AX7 as it warmed up the overall tone despite high amplification factor. Another approach would have been to go with with warmer EL84's on the output (like new JJ's, or old RCA's or GE's) and a less-gain 5751 or 12AT7 in the V1 preamp slot. Normally, I prefer the output section really pushed because it brings out that bristling dynamic character of an amp, hence the choice of the teles in there -- everything else followed. It's really a chess game because the preamp and output section are always interactive. The trick is finding the right combination that does what you want it to do. After you've done the basic math, trust your ears at the end of the day.

I knew it. Meron palang reserve licks itong si veggie joe sa bulsa.... ayaw lang mag-sharing-sharing.

The man is just waiting to pounce on us one day and blow us all away. As I've said before.... it's those quiet, mild-mannered guys you have to watch out for....  :evil:

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 10:20:15 AM »
... I'm quite interested how you get your "rhythm sound of doom" with an AC15, especially since it has an (1x12)alnico speaker which aren't known for their bass response right?... what do you mean by tubed for high headroom?  i ask this becuase I replaced one 12au7 (Marhsall) with a 12ax7(JJ) in my frequenlty maligned Royal amp, and what do you know?  it sounds fuller and much, much louder now... with a little bass added!  still far from those 6L6 lows, but an improvement on how it used to sound... didn't know a preamp tube can do so much...

uhmmmm.... keep your tele at home and bring an LP?!  :evil: :-D  :lol:

sobrang OT na tayo, but i couldn't help it!  :wink: sorry, BB.

No such thing as OT veggie joe. I think that's an overused term.... stream of consciousnes lang 'to!  :lol:

Fair warning ha..... bistado ka na! Inout ka na ni teletubby..... out of the "i just need my monthly dose of da blues" closet. Ala e -- punong puno pala yung iyong closets, pockets, briefcase, drawers ng blues licks and tricks. Wala kang ligtas next gig. Papaikutin ng papaikutin namin ang banda -- 72 bars padre!!! Hehehe.  :-D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 01:16:24 PM by blue buddha »