hulika

Author Topic: line 6  (Read 1757 times)

Offline zmazz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
line 6
« on: January 08, 2007, 03:41:27 AM »
anyone got a line 6 spider II amp here.. i've been hearing a lot of people ranting bout its sound quality. is it really that bad? been considering getting the 30watts for room practice. also, im thinking of changing my stock pups, and im considering two as of the moment, dimarzio and EMG. which one do you think should i go for. i play almost any kind of music. thanx in advance and happy new year!

Offline Targa_midbass

• Veteran Member
Re: line 6
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 01:32:21 AM »
which dimarzio? anu ba tugtugan mo pards? IMO ok lang ang spider for room practice. :-)
paano mapipigil ang isang damdamin
kung ang sinisigaw, ikaw ang lahat sa ahakin!

Offline sonnyrayvaughn

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:37:52 AM »
line 6 spider 2 is very decent IMHO... get the control pedal(FB4 or the long pedal version) with it.

line 6 products are quite good, although the spider might not be their best product out there, it is still good value for the money.

alternative product you might check out: Roland Cube Amps

Offline zmazz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 07:33:44 AM »
thanx for the reply guys!

Targa: im choosing between Evo and PAF pro, tone zone ok din but i just cant seem to figure out whats the diffrence between those 3. i've heard that if ur gonna change pups, better aim for the best quality out there and thats exactly what i wanna do. o yeah, my guitar is made out of basswood. i play almost anything but im more inclined in playing blues, metal and classic rock.

sonny: i tried roland cube this afternoon and kinda feel that those square amps are quite overated. people are saying that line 6 are too digital but i dont think i can get a more decent sound than what line 6 can offer me in that price range. am broke and thats all i have. LOL! umm.. do you own one man? if u do, i was wonderin how u dial up ur clean tone cuz the preset really sucks bols!

Offline reckless boy

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 01:27:45 PM »
Our other guitarist recently purchased a Vox AD30VT, and he swears by it, way better than Line 6 daw.  He brought it to one of our rehearsals and we tested it and it really sounded great so I'm seriously considering getting one now.  It's got more amp/speaker simulations and more effects than the Spider II, but it does have fewer user programmable channels (2 as opposed to line 6's 4, at the 30-watt model).  I've tried both amps, and the supposed criticism, that line 6 sounds too "digital," is not without basis IMHO.  Vox's sound is way way warmer.  As to the other specs, Vox is ahead pound-for-pound but what takes the cake, i think, is the valve reactor on the vox which has a 12AX7.  They also have a 15-watt model, the AD15VT.  It's distributed locally by Yupangco.

here's a review: http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/reviews/product_id/7947#837

Offline radimere

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 01:39:40 PM »
Targa: im choosing between Evo and PAF pro, tone zone ok din but i just cant seem to figure out whats the diffrence between those 3. i've heard that if ur gonna change pups, better aim for the best quality out there and thats exactly what i wanna do. o yeah, my guitar is made out of basswood. i play almost anything but im more inclined in playing blues, metal and classic rock.

If you're gonna play the EVO and Tone Zone in front of a digital, solid state amp, don't expect to get close to Vai's or PG's sound. These player's amps are an integral part of their sound, and the pickups are just part of their tone equation. I would imagine most people who complain about the EVO's "icepick attack" and the Tone Zone's "shrill nasalness" are playing them through the wrong amps.

These pickups have tweaked frequency responses and high output voltages, both factors that may not suit middle-of-the-road requirements such as yours ("i play most anything"). The PAF pro, being a modern spin on a classic design, might just be a better choice.

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 02:22:35 PM »
i just bought a line 6 spider 2 30w for room practice. Ok at first i had difficulty tweaking the amp, maybe on factor also was i was using a KORG AX1500g that wasnt set up properly. In terms of sound quality, i have to agree that there are times that it sounds a bit sterile, but if oyu spend time tweaking it, you can really get good sounds. From the looks of it, i think its better if it will be used as a stand alone amp and just use the 4 channels for clean and dirt channel. IMHO for room practice its really good but for gigging, im not that certain if it will cut through.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"

Offline zmazz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 01:16:31 AM »
"Our other guitarist recently purchased a Vox AD30VT, and he swears by it, way better than Line 6 daw."

dude does vox sounds good distorted? i tried a different version, prolly the DA ones and it didnt impress me at all. too muddy and dirty just like line 6. and is it true that valve amps broke more often than solid-state ones?

Offline reckless boy

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 08:19:47 AM »
Actually I wasn't able to try distorting it or really really dirtying up the signal, pero sigurado ako na yun OD, panalo.  Warm and creamy.  Covered the need for his TS9 or my BD2.  (note: used with a us strat) He demo'ed a lot of amp sim and delay combinations, was even able to squeeze out a U2-ish sounding tone with it.  Also saw at least one review online about your concern, to the effect na hirap siya magtimpla pag sinaksakan ng dirt pedals.

One more good thing about this amp is that the output is adjustable, so pag sa gabi at ayaw mo mag ingay ng sobra, you can set it to become a 5-watt amp.  Kinabukasan, pag alis ng mga kapitbahay, ingay na ulet and set it to 30 watts.

BTW, P18,480 daw siya sa yupangco for the 30W model, in stock.  yung 15W out of stock daw.

Offline zmazz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 08:36:24 AM »
wow! i think im gonna love vox amps! thanx for the info man. i'll prolly just get the 15W cuz my sister is gonna be nuts if i get that 30. wait.. do you think there's gonna be a huge difference between 15W and 30W? will they differ on the kind of tone you can get?

Offline reckless boy

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 08:58:48 AM »
Bro don't take my word for it, better to test to see if it suits your needs.   :-D  I'm relatively a newbie with limited experience when it comes to guitar gear.  All the guitar gurus and tone gods here in the forums will always say that sound will always be a matter of personal preference, and never take the word of any single person.

As to your question, theoretically hindi dapat dahil pareho lang naman specs nila. But that remains to be seen (or heard  :-D), cos i've only tried out yun 30W.  But I guess okay na yun dahil pang rehearsal mo lang naman gagamitin right?  Incidentally, try to catch the band Wanda (usually gigs with Sunshine Productions bands) cos I think they use the AD30VT during gigs.  Saw them last at Kolumn bar, and their guitarist used his own amp.  That may also be a consideration for getting the 30W instead of the 15, since apparently giggable siya, basta i-mic ng tama.  Sites list weight at 12kg.

Balitaan pa kita pag nakuha ko na yung saken.  Hehehe.

Offline Al_Librero

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »
Personally, I'd pick the 30 over the 15. You never know when you're gonna need that extra power and larger speaker. And it ought to sound fine at low volumes. Digital naman e. Being able to adjust the output wattage is also a plus.
Trashcan of Thoughts - http://www.allibrero.com

Offline vaisteen2003

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 10:40:28 AM »
i just bought a line 6 spider 2 30w for room practice. Ok at first i had difficulty tweaking the amp, maybe on factor also was i was using a KORG AX1500g that wasnt set up properly. In terms of sound quality, i have to agree that there are times that it sounds a bit sterile, but if oyu spend time tweaking it, you can really get good sounds. From the looks of it, i think its better if it will be used as a stand alone amp and just use the 4 channels for clean and dirt channel. IMHO for room practice its really good but for gigging, im not that certain if it will cut through.

i sort of need to take my word back about the line 6 being sterile and all. last night while i was noodling with it, i realized that the noise gate in the amp and the noise supressor in my effects are set up way high thus making the sound more sterile and the decay faster. from last nights evaluation, eve gotten a pretty decent sound out of it.
GAS Free 2007
"As long as it matters, as long as you're here with me now"