hulika

Author Topic: Sad day for Jazz - R.I.P. Michael Brecker  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Sad day for Jazz - R.I.P. Michael Brecker
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:10:43 PM »
Grammy-Winning Saxophonist Brecker Dies

By NAHAL TOOSI
The Associated Press
Sunday, January 14, 2007; 3:09 AM

NEW YORK -- Michael Brecker, a versatile and influential tenor saxophonist who won 11 Grammys over a career that spanned more than three decades, died Saturday. He was 57.

Brecker died in a hospital in New York City of leukemia, according to his longtime friend and manager, Darryl Pitt.

In recent years, the saxophonist had struggled with myelodysplastic syndrome, a cancer in which the bone marrow stops producing enough healthy blood cells. The disease, known as MDS, often progresses to leukemia.

Throughout his career, Brecker recorded and performed with numerous jazz and pop music leaders, including Herbie Hancock, James Taylor, Paul Simon and Joni Mitchell, according to his Web site. His most recently released recording, "Wide Angles," appeared on many top jazz lists and won two Grammys in 2004.

His technique on the saxophone was widely emulated, and his style was much-studied in music schools throughout the world. Jazziz magazine recently called him "inarguably the most influential tenor stylist of the last 25 years," according to a press release from his family.

Though very sick, Brecker managed to record a final album, as yet untitled, that was completed just two weeks ago. Pitt said the musician was enthusiastic about the final work.

"In addition to the love of his family and friends, his work on this project helped keep him alive and will be another jewel in his legacy," Pitt said.

Brecker, who had a home in the New York City suburb of Hastings-on-Hudson, was born in 1949 in Philadelphia to a musically inclined family. His father would take his sons to performances of jazz legends such as Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington.

Brecker, who first studied clarinet and alto saxophone, decided to pursue the tenor saxophone in high school after being inspired by the work of John Coltrane, according to his Web site. He followed his brother, Randy, a trumpet player, to Indiana University, but he left after a year for New York.

In 1970, he helped found the jazz-rock group Dreams. He later joined his brother in pianist and composer Horace Silver's quintet. Michael and Randy also started the successful jazz-rock fusion group the Brecker Brothers. The two also owned the now-defunct downtown jazz club Seventh Avenue South.

His solo career began in 1987, when his self-titled debut was voted "Jazz Album of the Year" in both Down Beat and Jazziz magazines.

His struggle with the blood disease led him and his family to publicly encourage people to enroll in bone marrow donor programs. His own search for a donor led to an experimental blood stem cell transplant that "did not work as hoped," according to a May 2006 entry on his Web site.

Brecker's survivors include his wife, Susan; his children, Jessica and Sam; his brother, Randy; and his sister, Emily Brecker Greenberg. Memorial services are being planned.

___

On the Web:

Michael Brecker: http://www.michaelbrecker.com
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline jazhombie

Re: Sad day for Jazz - R.I.P. Michael Brecker
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 07:23:39 PM »
how sad... :cry: another jazz master retiring early...  :oops: :cry:

Offline CYANIDE BOMB

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:21:08 PM »

WOW i wish new generation of jazz saxophonist would continue the legacy that micheal brecker left .rest in peace

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 10:06:42 PM »
Sad indeed ..

He will not be forgotten.

Was that him blowing on Steely Dan's 'F.M.?'
"No static at all ..."

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 12:46:19 AM »
Googled it a bit, and it turns the sax solo on "F.M." was by some session musician named Peter Christlieb, not Brecker.

Overall the sax guy associated with Steely Dan was Tom Scott, I believe he did the horn arrangements on Aja and Gaucho.
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:06:35 AM »
Googled it a bit, and it turns the sax solo on "F.M." was by some session musician named Peter Christlieb, not Brecker.

Overall the sax guy associated with Steely Dan was Tom Scott, I believe he did the horn arrangements on Aja and Gaucho.
he collaborated witrh mike stern as well...
 ... i like his rythmic approach in his soloing ,it inspired and set a trend on driving rythmic soloing... :-( :-D

Offline frogfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:02:25 AM »
Tsk! Sayang...  :cry:
"Competition is for horses, not artists." - Bela Bartok

"I don’t like to look back, because the whole point in jazz is doing it now." - Scott LaFaro

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
ei.

man, no more SKUNKFUNK and SPONGE. :-(
Soli Deo Gloria.

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
very sad indeed...

also, alice coltrane, wife of john and mother of ravi passed away too..
way too much GAS, way too little cash

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:57:33 AM »
R.I.P.

c".)
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline chadrobles

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 10:42:46 PM »
R.I.P... :-(

Chito

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 04:34:30 AM »
Wow this is bad news. One of his memorable sax soloes can be heard on the James Taylor song "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight" released in 1972.

RIP.

Offline toybitz

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 01:14:30 AM »
tsk tsk tsk
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline niknok

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2007, 06:35:24 AM »
 :cry:
"it's not who i am underneath, it is what i do that defines me" - batman

may the bass b wid u!!!

Offline poetic_tragedy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:20:31 PM »
R.I.P.  :-(
Who should be blame when a leaf fell from a tree?...
Is it the wind that blew it away?
Or the tree that let it go? Or is it the leaf itself which never held tight?  *Mabuhay ang LOLATECHS 2007* "LOLA mo, LOLA ko...LOLA nating lahat!" - Boy Chillax

Offline kawayan_strat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »
BUMMER  :-( :cry: :-( :cry: :-( :cry:

Offline J.Dennis

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 04:57:38 PM »
Yes, great loss indeed to the Jazz circle. I remember him doing some of Michael Franks' songs together with David Sanborn. One of the Brecker brothers is gone, the other being Randy the trumpet player. Goodbye Michael and thank you for the great music. You can now join  the great jazzman Grover Washington, Jr., and play beautiful music in heaven together. RIP.

JDennis
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:15:24 PM by J.Dennis »

Offline rodney vidanes

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 03:52:16 PM »
nakakagulat at nakakalungkot talaga 'to  :-( :-( :-(

truly one of the great saxophone players in the world!!! 
John 3:16