hulika

Author Topic: An Evening with the Bakemono DS1, the Mihiro Mod Strat and the Akane Strat  (Read 27035 times)

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
Re: An Evening with the Bakemono DS1, the Mihiro Mod Strat and the Akane Strat
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2007, 07:08:27 AM »
I might get the 'sparklers' (my personal term for the scalarizer) early this week. Ill try to review it the best i can. The more i read this thread the more i am excited.  8-)
I'm standing on a ROCK and my name is on the ROLL

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2007, 07:37:13 AM »
I might get the 'sparklers' (my personal term for the scalarizer) early this week. Ill try to review it the best i can. The more i read this thread the more i am excited.  8-)

go for it mike!

its the best thing i've had stuck in my guitar. the stock p'ips on my greco are great, and are now fantastic coz of this. deacon_blues described the tonal qualities quite eloquently, as he noticed that hidden frequencies are now THERE, resulting in a bigger tone, not just a mere boost of the high end (or attenuation of the lows).

i can imagine how these "sparklers" would benefit guitars with stacked buckering singlecoils! woooo!  :evil:
"The world needs more great guitarists, not more lumber critics."

Ron Kirn

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2007, 08:06:22 AM »
Just curious.  How will this affect the tone of a hollow or semi-hollow guitar (forget for a moment that it's gonna be a bitch to put that thing in the tight confines of a h/sh body)?  I'm not sure if I understood what the folks here mean as "sparkle".  Does it mean "bright"?  Sushi's statement that "hidden frequencies are now THERE" made me even more curious.  Yeah, before-and-after clips would really help.  On a somewhat related issue, how will this affect the tone of a bass?  Will it be a worthwhile mod considering the bass guitar's function vis-a-vis the different instruments in a band?

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »
Just curious.  How will this affect the tone of a hollow or semi-hollow guitar (forget for a moment that it's gonna be a bitch to put that thing in the tight confines of a h/sh body)?  I'm not sure if I understood what the folks here mean as "sparkle".  Does it mean "bright"?  Sushi's statement that "hidden frequencies are now THERE" made me even more curious.  Yeah, before-and-after clips would really help.  On a somewhat related issue, how will this affect the tone of a bass?  Will it be a worthwhile mod considering the bass guitar's function vis-a-vis the different instruments in a band?

Hmmm... if you've got a hollow body, feel free to drop by and give it a shot  :wink: we have yet to hear how it affects hollows and semi-hollows.

We installed one on deacon_blues' bass last fri night, unfortunately, we didn't give it the "before and after" test drive. but this fri, someone expressed interest in having her bass scalarized, unless someone else comes in during the week before her, we'll have the answer to that!

as for the "sparkle", it can be described as an added presence BUT it is not shrill. It is a roundede presence, you'll find yourself hearing the finer details of your axe.

I am sure that having a bass guitar scalarized would provide remarkable improvements. No more being drowned out by the bass drum (i can imagine!) and perhaps, less tonal tweaks, probably a tighter bottom.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna pester some bassists to come over and give it a shot!!!

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2007, 12:54:06 PM »
Veggie Joe's experiment with the volume control box didn't produce fantastic results, or that's the latest news I got anyway.

It appears that the optimal place for it is inside the guitar, in contact with the wood. Don't question why na lang...just doh it :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2007, 01:06:10 PM »
Hi psychic_sushi, thanks for replying. sayang i wasn't able to go last saturday, i wanted to really try the scalarizer, since i had an issue with my wife, well...you get the picture. I don't have work tomorrow, i was thinking maybe i could drop by with my guitar early. Is this the place? (158 Sto. Domingo ave cor Calamba sts Sta Mesa Hts QC)

Maybe the metal scalarizer would fit my fancy. Can it also be installed sa tonebone classic?

How much would the scalarizer cost if i had one installed? pm me or something. Thanks. :-D

great! do drop by, play with the toys :) you've got the address correct. shoot your questions, hang out :) the place is open tp everyone

Ron Kirn

Offline Jaco D

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
Hmmm... if you've got a hollow body, feel free to drop by and give it a shot  :wink: we have yet to hear how it affects hollows and semi-hollows.

Now that you mentioned it, I'm gonna pester some bassists to come over and give it a shot!!!

Sushi, I have a 335-clone and two active basses.  I'd be more than happy to have you guys roll in the hay with the wives in the name of local guitardom  :-o (what a low-life husband, ei?),  Unfortunately, the wives and I live outside the metropolis (no, not Salt Lake City, Utah) and it's more than "dalawang sigarilyo lang ang layo".  Well, maybe the next time I'm in town....

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2007, 01:55:14 PM »

Sushi, I have a 335-clone and two active basses.  I'd be more than happy to have you guys roll in the hay with the wives in the name of local guitardom  :-o (what a low-life husband, ei?),  Unfortunately, the wives and I live outside the metropolis (no, not Salt Lake City, Utah) and it's more than "dalawang sigarilyo lang ang layo".  Well, maybe the next time I'm in town....

Cool! Should you find yourself in town with your harem, rest assured that your wives would enjoy our toys, and ultimately, would thank you for letting us have our way with them  :-D  :mrgreen:

Thanks for the confidence and the offer!  :-) don't hesitate to knock on our door

Ron Kirn

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »

Cool! Should you find yourself in town with your harem, rest assured that your wives would enjoy our toys, and ultimately, would thank you for letting us have our way with them  :-D  :mrgreen:

Thanks for the confidence and the offer!  :-) don't hesitate to knock on our door

Will there be farm animals and whipped cream in this 'tone party'? If so, color me present. ;-)

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »

Will there be farm animals and whipped cream in this 'tone party'? If so, color me present. ;-)

Farm animals? Our concept of design is akin to the rowdiness involved with the "milking a horse" episode of jackass 2  :-D dude, you're gonna help us do the old switcheroo! heheheheh :mrgreen:

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2007, 01:30:33 AM »

Farm animal ? Would a virgin goat do ? You can join the scalificial..este...sacrifical ceremony. Mwahahaha. Ang na Ang na su la pu kan...

We can milk it first if you like mwahahaha. Seriously, I love your 335. Gosh, give me 4 gives terms and I'll take it !!! Wow...I can imagine it will sound sparkly-killer with a scalarizer installed !

Offline dominant_chord2005

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2007, 03:12:53 AM »
just arrived from the Hazy nights. The bands keep getting better and better. And of course, I performed my duties as one of the spokesperson for PIMP Technologies. Just gave a brief testimony of what this technological marvel will do to those peeps in need of good tone.

Na promote ako bigla to Marketing Director..hahahaha

Seriously, like what I said to the others, its worth a try and you won't regret ever installing it on your beloved gears. I know I did'nt.

So watcha waiting for? Scalarize your guitars now!!!!
"Practice makes perfect."

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2007, 11:24:28 AM »
most guitar players have spent more money getting drunk on a street corner during a hot summer afternoon.  :-D

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »
Well, it's a permanent state of tonal inebriation when you get one of those installed.

I'm actually dying to get home a find woodshed time... :-D

Last nights "shootout" was kinda revealing, eh?  :wink:

Ron Kirn

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:15 PM »
Mukhang the get togethers are getting frequent and regular, so might as well institutionalize and give out the open invitation.

The Tone parties cum jamming happen Saturday afternoons to nights. During Saturdays, I arrive at about 6-7 because I have teaching load that day. Everyone is welcome. Bring your guitars, drumsticks, basses, what not and we'll see what happens. Impromptu lessons from Psychic Sushi, Jam sessions, pot sessions (pickup potting !), modding...what not, basta kung ano trip.
These tone parties are open to the Philmusic Community at large.

158 Sto Domingo ave., cor Calamba, QC. Behind the Sto Domingo church (maybe a kilometer behind the church :D )

Pasensya na for the lack of amenities, furniture etc. Importante we all have a good time :D . Softdrinks, chicheria  and beer are within reach :D 

Offline psychic_sushi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2007, 01:28:35 PM »
The impromptu guitar lessons would definitely solve my woodshed issues  :-D Game!

thou shalt not forsake the gathering! you'll all get to try the toys, sans airs or intimidation by anybody. It'll be a free for all, tone tasting for all and sundry  :wink:

please don't mind the furniture, they all floated to the china sea during the 1992 flood that hit the house.

Ron Kirn

Offline chito_eoi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »
lord bamf,
tenkyu ng madaming madami for sushifying to the max my DS2!,
again... this is the best dirt pedal that ive had so far.
ayl gna be there on saturday....

lagay natin sa altar yung ibby ko then patakan natin ng dugo ng birheng kambing!

Offline mahavishnu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2007, 06:57:43 PM »
the eagle has landed in the southern states... we'll try em tonight. we shall call it.. An Evening with REON KADENA.

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2007, 09:18:08 PM »
from what i read, mukhang bagay yung na 'sparklers' as a nickname for the scalarizer ( mdyo ang haba kc bigkasin eh)  :-D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2007, 10:49:22 PM »
Great monicker ! But hey...what do we call the new metal-core scalarizers ? They also sparkle but the presence they inject is targetted towards the mids section...fantastic for metal and some forms of rock. Mid sparklers ? Hehehe.  :mrgreen:

Lets see...I installed five scalarizers today, not counting two of my own guitars. Mmmm...mmmm...mmm...mmmm !!!! The metal scalarizers give this mid-range PUNCH !

Eto siguro bos mike...switchable sparklers. The ones you have are the "crystal" variety. Maybe a switch that selects between the metal and crystal scalarizers ? :D

I had a small batch of seven metal-core scalarizers made and they dried only tonight.

Oh by the way...Everymusic (Dame guitars) has a crystal scalarizer that I left with them, installed on one of their guitars for their evaluation. If they like it, they might agree to distribute and install it on your Dame guitars (and maybe on others). So if you're practicing at Gig studio, drop by Everymusic and ask to try the guitar with the scalarizer.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:56:46 PM by BAMF »

Offline vic_6

• Board Moderator
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2007, 11:04:08 PM »
We installed one on deacon_blues' bass last fri night, unfortunately, we didn't give it the "before and after" test drive. but this fri, someone expressed interest in having her bass scalarized, unless someone else comes in during the week before her, we'll have the answer to that!

as for the "sparkle", it can be described as an added presence BUT it is not shrill. It is a roundede presence, you'll find yourself hearing the finer details of your axe.

I am sure that having a bass guitar scalarized would provide remarkable improvements. No more being drowned out by the bass drum (i can imagine!) and perhaps, less tonal tweaks, probably a tighter bottom.

BAMF mentioned i could put this in a bass a few weeks ago when i was there with pope and our friend mark who had their ts9's modded. now im really curious. i just might stop over soon since i live just a block away. :)

any update on bassists reactions to this?

EDIT: by the way, BAMF just to be sure ito yung sensual/sexual mod diba? hehe! if this works out, i think all bassists will have to get this. para ma pansin naman kami. hehehehehehe!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:07:10 PM by vic_6 »
way too much GAS, way too little cash

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2007, 11:30:30 PM »
Eyyy sure Vic ! Do drop by. I'm there everyday except Sundays, from 2-9 pm. On Saturdays, I arrive at night.

I'll let Deacon Blues comment on the effects on his bass. I'm no connossiuer of bass tone. I wouldn't even know a good bass from a bad one.

But from his comments during that night, he said that the bass sound got "wider", "bigger".

I'm interested too what sound will ensue from a bass fitted with the new metal-core scalarizer. The one on Deacon_blues's Greco was a crystal scalarizer. Maybe the hard rock and metal bassists will appreciate the sound of the metal-core model. Ahh but well...I wouldnt really know if it will catch the fancies of blues and jazz bassists.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 11:31:48 PM by BAMF »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2007, 11:37:42 PM »
Ngapala andun si Mark kanina saka another friend of his (sorry ha my face-name memory is so pathetic) nagpakabit sila ng scalarizers pareho. :D . Yung ke Mark, nasa mid pickup (single coil) lang nakatutok yung scalarizer nya. Yung Mustang copy ng friend nya had a metal-core scalarizer on the bridge pickup, and a crystal on the neck pickup. You can listen to their guitars as well if you meet them before coming to the shop. :D

Offline micsis

• Veteran Member
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2007, 12:54:30 AM »
I was not successful in making a with and without sparkler switch to instantly hear its effect. I wud take more than two dpdt toggles to make it work (not sure) in a guitar. But my observation is that once you hear your guitar with the sparklers, you will surely miss it once you take it out. Rather than hearing it without then putting it in. Gets nyo?

Well what was the effect? All The frequencies seem to be more pleasant, emphasizing he good ones and removing the bad ones. Doesnt alter your tone but enhances it. Hard to explain but it adds an 'acoustic dynamism' to your guitar. it sort of 'mics' your guitar from the inside of the body and is then amplified via the electronics. Ewan ko basta mapapa iling ka sa amazement sa nagagawa nya.

Yng mga taga south metro, u can get ur sparklers from me. Same cost as what BAMF would charge, only nearer. Save gas and time.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2007, 01:22:05 AM »
Bos Mike, even an SPST switch can be used to switch out the scalarizer. Just wire the switch to "short out" the scalarizer. If the switch has a contact resistance of less than 5 ohms (minimum insertion loss of the Scalarizer, typical is 9-11 ohms) then you can be sure that no current will pass through it and will be bypassed by the switch.

For a single DPDT, wire the scalarizer on one set of poles, a short circuit on another, and the connection between the pickup selector and volume control on the center poles.

So I guess this means our southern dealership is sealed ! Wooo !!! Hardogai !!! :D :D :D

This deserves a celebration. Punta ka sana this Saturday sa shop Bos Mike ! A case of beer and two orders of Sisig, on me !

BAMF